• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game is very overrated. In fact it's a very boring game that goes at a plodding pace and just isn't very interesting or compelling. i gave up on chapter 3 I think. I just got soooooo tired of the backtracking. Because this is Backtracking: The Game. None of it is particularly interesting And the gameplay mechanics become old fast.

the idea sounds nice in theory but it's just very boring generally. I fell asleep playing it on a Sunday afternoon.
Garbage post. The ship takes like 30 seconds to walk from end to end, how can it possibly be 'backtracking: the game'

The mechanic is largely using your brain, so...idk what to tell you.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just throwing in my general point of "this game fucking rules, play it". Very few games out there like it; it's a very unique experience through and through.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's a good game but not for everyone and not really my cup of tea. I did try though. But I do enough administrative tasks at work.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Play this game. If you have a lot of patience.

I managed to beat it, without resorting to walkthroughs or hints at all, but there's a lot of going back and forth between scenes, and watching the same things unfold many times over.

If you have that patience, then it's a fantastic game.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game but not for everyone and not really my cup of tea. I did try though. But I do enough administrative tasks at work.
I'm not sure how the game is remotely an administrative task. It's not Papers Please. It's literally just puzzles. If you like puzzles, you'll probably like this game, if you don't you won't. It doesn't have some weird busywork or anything. Just deduction.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cool! I will certainly have time to play this video game!

I mean, I will buy it and try to play it, but there's just a lot of stuff on the Switch right now. I've been playing a lot of Apple Arcade games too lately, so not only do I have too many video games in general, but also too many portable video games.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

Is there a game in existence that is "for everyone"? :-)

I think it's an excellent game, particularly if you love mysteries, puzzle solving and investigating, but of course it's not for everyone ......... ;-)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Have heard alot of great things about this project - looking forward to give it a shot on Switch whenever ill find the time for it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is there a game in existence that is "for everyone"? :-)

I think it's an excellent game, particularly if you love mysteries, puzzle solving and investigating, but of course it's not for everyone ......... ;-)
I'm not sure how the game is remotely an administrative task. It's not Papers Please. It's literally just puzzles. If you like puzzles, you'll probably like this game, if you don't you won't. It doesn't have some weird busywork or anything. Just deduction.
I love puzzle games like Talos Principle, Portal, Baba Is You etc. But it just felt like more work with little reward in this game. I only played it for a couple of hours though, this thread has encouraged me to go back to it tonight and give it another go.

(And there's definitely some paperwork in this game!)

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely gonna pick this up on PS4. Much as I like the idea of Papers, Please, I didn't actually enjoy playing it all that much (which is kind of the point, I suppose), but this seems much more like my cup of tea.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I'm definitely gonna pick this up on PS4. Much as I like the idea of Papers, Please, I didn't actually enjoy playing it all that much (which is kind of the point, I suppose), but this seems much more like my cup of tea.

Papers, Please never really appealed to me either, but Obra Dinn is magnificent.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
this is by far the most unique game i've played this gen.

can't wait to see what this magnificent long haired man throws at us next.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Just in time to finish Link's Awakening. Been really waiting for this game to drop.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait. My girlfriend loves mystery/detective games so I'm excited for her to give it a try.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I love puzzle games like Talos Principle, Portal, Baba Is You etc. But it just felt like more work with little reward in this game. I only played it for a couple of hours though, this thread has encouraged me to go back to it tonight and give it another go.

(And there's definitely some paperwork in this game!)

I think it's important to notice that while it is a puzzle game, it's very different from more traditional ones like those. The closest thing would be Her Story, where the gameplay mechanics are more in your brain than in the game, still it's also quite different from Her Story: there is a good sense of progression and there are things to do in the game.
From other people's commentaries and my own experience, it may take some time to get into it, but then there's this moment where everything clicks, you figure out 10 identities at once and start feeling like Sherlock Holmes.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obra Dinn will absolutely make you feel like Sherlock Holmes. I've never seen a game nail the thrill of deductive reasoning so completely.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
October too stronk. COD, Children of Motra, Frostpunk and now Obra Dinn?! Wallet's hurtin'.

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I read there is a
a kraken and mermaids
How spoiled am I? Is this a big suprising plot point?

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is an absolutely great game and well worth it if you didn't get to it on PC. Careful observation can get you through a lot of what can be more obtuse identity solves.

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the most ingeniously put together games I've played in the last few years. The 2 days I spent with it were incredible.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A fantastic, wonderful, unique game. It's one of those games that tells a story in a way only a game could. An astonishing achievement by Mr. Pope. Can't recommend it enough.

For those asking about the puzzles - this is not a puzzle game at all. While the overall story and who-did-what nature of a game is a puzzle in itself, you're not running around doing puzzles. It's ALL about listening, observing and putting pieces together in your head.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
This game is very overrated. In fact it's a very boring game that goes at a plodding pace and just isn't very interesting or compelling. i gave up on chapter 3 I think. I just got soooooo tired of the backtracking. Because this is Backtracking: The Game. None of it is particularly interesting And the gameplay mechanics become old fast.

the idea sounds nice in theory but it's just very boring generally. I fell asleep playing it on a Sunday afternoon.
Same, and I usually like this king of games

Status
Not open for further replies.