• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
That said, you can go back to your last save. I misunderstood and left the ship, thinking it was part of the puzzle.

The final scene did clue me into two fates which let me unlock the remaining few.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Switch version earlier today. I think I should wait until next weekend to start it, but I'm super excited to play it!

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I played through with my wife on xbox and we loved it till the end when she stopped loving it cuz all the pieces didn't magically fit together on its own, so now were going down the list and just filling in the blanks by cheating -_- lol

i do plan on actually going through the list on a separate file on my own and figuring this out for reals lol

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
What a clever game. It must have been a headache to plan everything.
I guessed a few identities by cheating a little and swapping names of the same ethic origin or similar role within the ship.
It is possible to guess every identity with 100% accuracy based on clues without occasionally swapping a few names?

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Very enjoyable and well-designed game. A bit easier than I had expected, though I was pleasantly surprised by the supernatural elements in the story.

What a clever game. It must have been a headache to plan everything.
I guessed a few identities by cheating a little and swapping names of the same ethic origin or similar role within the ship.
It is possible to guess every identity with 100% accuracy based on clues without occasionally swapping a few names?
I assumed you're supposed to do that.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
is it 60fps on any console?

how does it run on switch?

The game literally emulates the monochrome low-res display of an 8-bit computer. You are the only character that moves. You don't need to 180 noscope a kraken.
I played it on a PC with integrated graphics and it was fine. I can't imagine any console having a problem. I'm surprised an android version isn't out yet.

Great game though. The topshipmen were a bugger to get.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
You think? That doesn't seem elegant.
The game mechanics and set-up encourages you to experiment a bit though. I think it's very purposeful that some characters are placed together on the crew photos, or where you know they're from the same language group or ethnicity. It already gives you the option to fill in 'Unknown Seaman' and so on. It's not breaking the game to then try a few different names if you've already narrowed it down to 2-3 individuals.

And who cares about elegance? I need results for my insurance report, goddammit.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I think requiring 3 correct fates to be solved is an acceptable compromise to initially discourage random selection while leaving it as an option if you're genuinely stuck between 2 or 3 names.

I ended up scumming a few names through trial and error but supposedly some very elaborate process of elimination has helped others find identities I couldn't.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
The game mechanics and set-up encourages you to experiment a bit though. I think it's very purposeful that some characters are placed together on the crew photos, or where you know they're from the same language group or ethnicity. It already gives you the option to fill in 'Unknown Seaman' and so on. It's not breaking the game to then try a few different names if you've already narrowed it down to 2-3 individuals.

And who cares about elegance? I need results for my insurance report, goddammit.

Ah ah, but what's the in-game justification for getting identities validated by group of three? OMG ludo narrative dissonance! ;)
Anyway, curious if others identified every crew members without any guesses.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I'm 99% sure the game actually mentions this at the start, something like "you'll be able to and expected to guess some people just because you've narrowed it down slightly on who they could be".

I mean you aren't just guessing random people, you've narrowed it down slightly based off other findings and observations, which I think is completely fine and expected.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
Could you give an example (in spoilers tag) about how you deduced the 4 Chinese guys or 4 Indian guys for instance?

There is a key scene in chapter 2 below decks where you can observe people in their sleeping quarters, and all the bunks have numbers on them.

It's a detail that's easy to miss and I think far more people used trial and error than noticed the numbers.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't know if I'm playing the game "the right way"

So far I have found 6 names, but I keep running in circles to find new bodies and see new "death scenes" without knowing who's who

So the game goes like this for me : find a body, observe, fill in the "death reason", then find a new body and repeat

My idea is that by doing so, when I've seen all the death scenes, I will be able to solve the remaining unknown identities

The thing is, while I'm roaming around the boat, sometimes I don't know if I've already seen the scene or not, is there a way to know that ?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'm playing the game "the right way"

So far I have found 6 names, but I keep running in circles to find new bodies and see new "death scenes" without knowing who's who

So the game goes like this for me : find a body, observe, fill in the "death reason", then find a new body and repeat

My idea is that by doing so, when I've seen all the death scenes, I will be able to solve the remaining unknown identities

The thing is, while I'm roaming around the boat, sometimes I don't know if I've already seen the scene or not, is there a way to know that ?

The first time you go into a new scene it starts out a little differently iirc and of course you follow that marker to unveil a new memory. I don't recall having this issue myself since they all follow from other memories.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this - working on Disco Elysium, then Outer Wilds, then Obra Dinn.

Good time for polished, atmospheric indies with a strong deductive element...

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

If I recall correctly, if you open the notebook while zoomed in on a body it should jump straight to the relevant page if you've already seen it. Also when you view the scene again, it will skip the audio-only intro and jump straight into the wandering around phase.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
There is a key scene in chapter 2 below decks where you can observe people in their sleeping quarters, and all the bunks have numbers on them.

It's a detail that's easy to miss and I think far more people used trial and error than noticed the numbers.

What are you matching these numbers up to? I don't think you find some directory?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I figured this out yesterday and it blew my mind but while it helped identity a few people,

most of them in that scene didn't have their faces out and I couldn't zoom in on the to identify the face. So I still don't get how you'd identify all the topmen that way. I basically did a guessing game for the Chinese and Russian dudes

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, curious if others identified every crew members without any guesses.
Yes, it's possible to identify everyone without guessing.

I figured this out yesterday and it blew my mind but while it helped identity a few people,
most of them in that scene didn't have their faces out and I couldn't zoom in on the to identify the face. So I still don't get how you'd identify all the topmen that way. I basically did a guessing game for the Chinese and Russian dudes
There were other identifying features like clothing or other items they had.

The game literally emulates the monochrome low-res display of an 8-bit computer. You are the only character that moves. You don't need to 180 noscope a kraken.
The game made me very motion sick on PC even though it was running at 60 FPS due to bad frame-pacing.
I was only able to continue playing after unlocking the frame rate and fixing the frame-pacing.
So frame rate matters even in a game like this.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017

Oooooh I see! You really have to pay attention. Thanks for sharing!

Deleted member 34169

Nov 23, 2017
So I got through the beginning with the first 4 bodies pretty easily. Then all of a sudden I kept getting thrown into different loops when the
seamonster appears.
Kinda feel overwhelmed. Did I go too far ahead without making any progress or something?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There were other identifying features like clothing or other items they had.

Like I said I only notices a couple things that let me identify people. An arm tattoo, someone sleeping with a scimitar dangling from their hammock, things like that. Basically everyone else either had no identifiable features while they slept or there were groups of 2-3 people outside their hammocks that I had to play guessing games with.

I do still feel like I managed to accurately deduce the majority of people, but there were a few I definitely had to guess with.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Pretty sure you don't have to trial & error anyone. I specifically didn't wanna scum any names and I remember getting atleast 1 by accident but possibly it was 1-3.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What's the intended solution for

determining where the four survivors wound up? I remember hearing someone mentioning "sail east" but that seemed like the only clue and was not very specific. I had to go through trial and error to wind up with Africa

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

determining where the four survivors wound up? I remember hearing someone mentioning "sail east" but that seemed like the only clue and was not very specific. I had to go through trial and error to wind up with Africa

I deduced it from

needing to return the notebook to Doctor Henry Evans in Morocco. He's the one who has signed your instructions at the start of the game.

empo

Jan 27, 2018

Returning the book to the doctor in Morocco yeah. Also there's a map in the book with the route the ship took. It has marks where the chapters start so you can kind of line it up IIRC

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Loved the game. Incredible music, especially when you zone in to an awesome monster fight with the bombastic music..

The whole time it was in development I was wondering if it would include any supernatural elements. I'm glad it did - the monster design was pretty great, especially the weird crab-rider things.

One question - was the origin of the watch or chest ever explained?

For instance, I figured out the name of one guy because I recognized that his tattoos were of a certain country's origin.

Maba the MVP. That guy put in work. RIP Maba. :(

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the game. Incredible music, especially when you zone in to an awesome monster fight with the bombastic music..

The whole time it was in development I was wondering if it would include any supernatural elements. I'm glad it did - the monster design was pretty great, especially the weird crab-rider things.

One question - was the origin of the watch or chest ever explained?

Maba the MVP. That guy put in work. RIP Maba. :(

I believe the formosans had a chest onboard with 1 shell from the beginning. The second chest was found on the canary islands, and there is a third shell but I believe no chest with it.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
So forgot about this being released on consoles, interested, but does it play well with the pad? I'd buy the ps4 version of good enough

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK if someone can please explain who the victim is of part 7 of Doom and in particular how you're supposed to deduce their identity that would be really appreciated. They're the only person who I have 'sufficient information' to identify of the like 7/8 deaths I have available an hour in (aside from the really obvious one) and I'm just getting frustrated.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OK if someone can please explain who the victim is of part 7 of Doom and in particular how you're supposed to deduce their identity that would be really appreciated. They're the only person who I have 'sufficient information' to identify of the like 7/8 deaths I have available an hour in (aside from the really obvious one) and I'm just getting frustrated.
Having sufficient information doesn't mean you should stop and solve them immediately. It just means if you're 2000 IQ the information IS possible, definitely doesn't mean there isn't more information coming

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having sufficient information doesn't mean you should stop and solve them immediately. It just means if you're 2000 IQ the information IS possible, definitely doesn't mean there isn't more information coming

OK then so I can't solve the one that the game leads me to believe that I should solve so I should just continue wandering around the ship until the penny drops? Because so far I'm not getting it at all. Apparently you need to solve 3 fates for the plot to progress and unlock a new area or something and I have not solved a single one in an hour even though I'm like 99.9% sure I got one right
The captain's wife

What do I really have to do to not be just wasting time? The sequential murders that the game leads you to straight away all are still involving unidentifiable victims
Ostensibly who the captain shot and stabbed to death
even an hour later.

Help..?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OK then so I can't solve the one that the game leads me to believe that I should solve so I should just continue wandering around the ship until the penny drops? Because so far I'm not getting it at all. Apparently you need to solve 3 fates for the plot to progress and unlock a new area or something and I have not solved a single one in an hour even though I'm like 99.9% sure I got one right
The captain's wife

What do I really have to do to not be just wasting time? The sequential murders that the game leads you to straight away all are still involving unidentifiable victims
even an hour later.

Help..?
Anything that is unblurred means it's POSSIBLE to solve, it doesn't mean you need to right that second. Usually I just try hard and if I can't get it I move on, I'm not sure how far you are along, but generally speaking you don't need to solve fates to advance through more memories. That said it's still good to do what you can as you go, but the ship opens up either way. I was 'finished' with experiencing deaths WAY WAY before I finished the book, like at least half unsolved, probably more (It's been a year apologies forbeing vague).

This game takes nothing for granted, every detail is important. it will not hold your hand, it would be like if I you had to figure out that I might be person Y because his listed nationality is French and my monitor on my desk is a French brand of monitor, and you'd see it on my desk in a DIFFERENT flashback than the one where you see me entirely, but you know it's my desk because in another flashback you see me working at it.

I hope that makes sense, that's the kind of clue this game will give you, it is not an easy game

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen the iSpoiler tag on ERA?! That's amazing!

On topic, uh, yeah, this game is incredible.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
even an hour later.

Help..?

If you know the captain and the captain's wife then you should know who the captain shot. That's your first three.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Finished it last night. Brilliant game. Loved the setting, atmosphere and music.
I had to look online for the fates of those 2 ladies. I get it but their fate could have been anything really. The death of one of those Formosians could have been something else as well. But that's nitpicking.
Even after resolving all the fates, it's still hard to know exactly who did what and why and I expected a plot twist in the hidden chapter but it's absolutely a must play experience.