• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Were you satisfied?

• Yes

Votes: 584 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 899 60.6%

• Total voters

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
As someone looking from the outside, I just have to say that the newest Pokemon is probably the ugliest "big tier" game I've seen this generation. There's so much potential for these games and they can't even hit the low bar that is set.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I never bought it. Last Pokemon I bought was X or Y I think.

I'm still waiting for them to nail their first 3D entry. As soon as that happens I'll jump back in. As it stands the environments and visuals look like they're out of an early 2000's-ish game, at least when glossing over them.

As soon as they nail it I think we will see sales explode to levels maybe even generation 1. The potential is there.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The games are not made for adults. There are a lot of issues that could be addressed regardless, but a lot of people should start coming to terms with the fact that the series isn't made for them. And that's ok.

Nearly all Nintendo games are "not made for adults." Yet a lot of them manage to be among the most groundbreaking and respected of the industry. Because they manage to have widely appealing aspects that show ambition and innovate. "Pokemon is not made for you" is on the same level as the "it's a Pokemon game, what do you expect?" excuses.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think it's okay, but I'm struggling to finish it. The core gameplay is good, but the game just feels really slow from a UI / battle perspective. Layer on a mediocre story makes me feel like I'm sort of wasting time whenever I play. I'd love a streamlined version where the UI and battle sequences play out much faster. Also can't get into the campsite stuff.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even just seeing this thread's title on my front page makes me think about, and miss, the Pokemon games that I liked. Which is to say, basically every Pokemon game besides SuMo (I liked Us/Um a lot but I played a difficulty hack) and Sword/Shield. It's hard to go back to the old games because I really value the social element and there are a lot of new Pokemon whose concepts and designs I really love... but Pokemon was always my go-to 'comfort food' game since I was a kid, and that the last few years of Pokemon releases just haven't done it for me is really disappointing. I just want a Pokemon game that's like the old ones in the ways that count. I'm not even asking for or expecting a lot when I approach the franchise from that perspective. What might have been the most toxic or disdainful post I ever made here pertained to the dex cut, something I felt strongly about because continuity was a big part of what made Pokemon as a franchise special and unique to me. I even managed to get over that, to give the game a shot, to judge it on its own merits. In hindsight I should have just waited to see how other fans like me felt, because if I had really known what I was getting myself into, I'd have held onto my money.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
In theory if I wanted to jump into a switch Pokemon game which one would be the better one: Go Pikachu or Sword/Shield?

effin

Jan 20, 2019
Probably the most let down I've ever been by a Pokemon game. It also kinda left me in a spot of realising the franchise is just no longer for me anymore.

Basically it was painful enough for me that I wont buy another Pokemon game unless I'm 100% sure its going to have some level of difficulty to it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In theory if I wanted to jump into a switch Pokemon game which one would be the better one: Go Pikachu or Sword/Shield?
It's actually hard to answer that without knowing what it is that you value most in a Pokemon game. If a distinct lack of challenge would turn you off then I'd go with neither, but if you can look past that, and enjoy collecting Pokemon, then either game might float your boat. Let's Go is a solid nostalgia trip (though replacing wild Pokemon battles with Pokemon Go-style encounters really did not do it for me) and it evokes more of that adventurous journey feel than a Pokemon game has since Su/Mo, and there is some fun to be had with Sword and Shield if you enjoy completing the Dex or building competitive teams for online play.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the most let down I've ever been by a Pokemon game. It also kinda left me in a spot of realising the franchise is just no longer for me anymore.

Basically it was painful enough for me that I wont buy another Pokemon game unless I'm 100% sure its going to have some level of difficulty to it.
I just can't believe how easy Sword and Shield are. They make X and Y, the easiest Pokemon games I'd played up to that point, look like downright challenging RPG campaigns in comparison. I tapped out just after the third or fourth gym, I don't remember. After limiting myself to a 3 Pokemon party the whole game, switching out constantly to make sure my mons stayed underleveled, I couldn't find it in me to continue playing when I realized that the wild Pokemon I'd find en-route to the next town/gym were so often at the same level - or even higher - than the Pokemon I'd be fighting against in future trainer and gym battles.

One day I'm going to play Shield through the whole way - but that day will come when I can play a more challenging hack of the game via Yuzu instead, and I'm still not going to enjoy that experience as much as I would have if Shield had just shipped that way on Switch. And while the DLC might alleviate some of my concerns in some small way, I can't help but to feel like the DLC precludes the possibility of a Sword/Shield 'third version' that addresses the balance issues and makes changes to the world map for a more interesting and varied campaign... which means that Sword and Shield could never be the Pokemon games I'd want them to be.

Last edited:

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
first games in the series i haven't purchased day one, and ive been playing them since the franchise came to the states. just looked like a bad product and disappointing how its being handled.

eh thats just handwaving away the issues. just because somethings aimed at children, doesnt mean it shouldn't be quality. i was a kid when the old games came out, and they were some of the best games released on their respective platforms. hell people should be more annoyed that low quality crap is being shoveled at kids.
They were the exact same as they are now. They haven't grown that much (which is a valid issue), but you have. If you were 8 or 10, you'd probably think Sw/Sh were amazing.

Oct 31, 2017
I liked it, not my favorite, they really need to do more.

If pokemon is going to follow the same formula then have every Pokémon imo. The changes they did were not enough to excuse that even if it's a problem not everyone will have. Realistically I want to see Pokémon change in more radical way. Maybe have voice acting, third person camera all the time, a story with more nuance, have Pokémon in the over world in a more impactful way.

Still I subscribe pretty heavily to the Pokémon formula but it's definitely stagnating for me. I'm still confused as to why the game ran and looked so poorly on the switch, it's one of the worse looking games I have on switch. I'm hoping this is just game freak just getting their feet wet and we will see the holy grail game within the next decade.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Too many slow stupid battle animations, way too much unstoppable dialog, the grinding in the wild area is kinda meh, etc etc.

With that said I enjoyed it, but there's TONS of room for improvement.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They were the exact same as they are now.
My main grievance with Sword and Shield is that they're really not.

I'd be a lot more content with Sword and Shield if they were, just as I have been with older Pokemon games I've revisited as an adult in his 20s, generally speaking. I'm not the type who really even needs the series to change or evolve in any major way to have fun with it, Pokemon's had a very strong mechanical framework in place for over a decade now. Sword and Shield makes use of cutscenes and dialogue to try and evoke a similar sense of adventure and progress that older Pokemon games make me feel just by playing them. There are no caves or forests to push through or get lost in. There are no challenges or puzzles to overcome. There are no locales whose denizens really sell their concepts or breathe life into. Hell, I was shocked the first time I made use of the Flying Taxi system, and found out that there's not even a simple animation tied to the act - the sort of little touch that older Pokemon games used constantly to ground the player in the world and in their adventure.

And the notion that I, the player, am fighting my way up the Gym Challenge circuit on his way to triumph... it constantly rang false, because not even with the steepest self-handicaps I could muster was I able to create for myself the sensation of being a wayfaring underdog that comes naturally when playing the older games. Games that didn't even need to be particularly hard to sell me on that notion, just... not so mindlessly simple, so strangely bereft of worldbuilding or fleshed out locales, and of opportunities to stray off the beaten path to see for myself what secrets and rewards lie ahead. It's awfully hard to feel anything like a Champion, or to even pretend like that's a title I fought for and earned, when I've spent the whole game being railroaded from one straight path to another, steamrolling competitors and catching fresh Pokemon that outlevel and outpower a Gym trainer's partner Pokemon on the way through the door. I don't ask for much when it comes to Pokemon, but Sword and Shield still managed to fall short for me in ways that few other Pokemon games would if I popped them in and started playing right now.

Last edited:

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disappointed.

Comparing Gameboy-era to Switch-era progress on titles like Zelda, Dragon Quest and Mario it's insane how little this franchise has evolved. Frankly, this game feels 2 gens old if I'm being generous.

Oct 26, 2017
Love this Gen. The online battling and breeding aspect is easier than ever before. Yes I wish the series itself had gone a little further with general developments but I enjoy hatching the eggs and running the dens loop.

Music is top notch - VS Bede is great.

I see the flaws of the game but I definitely am more into this Gen than I was X and Y. I wasn't as disappointed by Sun and Moon like others were. Maybe I'm more easily impressed as long as I get my wifi battle improvements.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
They were the exact same as they are now. They haven't grown that much (which is a valid issue), but you have. If you were 8 or 10, you'd probably think Sw/Sh were amazing.
the bolded isn't true in the slightest.

i'll agree to your latter point however, but that doesnt change the fact the games have gotten subpar. i can go back to the DS games and still enjoy myself, but that's not the case with most of the 3ds releases and the switch releases.

Nov 23, 2017
I keep wondering if my personal disappointment in every Pokemon since post-Black and White had to do with me getting older. I still wonder to this day? I'm 32. Am I too old for this shit?

I know one thing. The series has never truly evolved from a single player standpoint since then. Maybe that's my issue? Maybe I just don't want the same experience over and over again?

I have been certainly disappointed in the graphics, for sure. They could do much better there. In my heart, what I really want out of Pokemon is a game that makes me feel like I'm part of their world and I haven't felt that in a long time. I don't want to quit the series but I'm losing my love for it, slowly.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It was boring as fucking hell. 0 challenge, 0 thought almost 0 innovation. Regret spending that money.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Love this Gen. The online battling and breeding aspect is easier than ever before. Yes I wish the series itself had gone a little further with general developments but I enjoy hatching the eggs and running the dens loop.

Music is top notch - VS Bede is great.

I see the flaws of the game but I definitely am more into this Gen than I was X and Y. I wasn't as disappointed by Sun and Moon like others were. Maybe I'm more easily impressed as long as I get my wifi battle improvements.
This is why I wish GF would make two different Pokemon series, one focused on a big single player adventure and one focused on the competitive / multiplayer aspect.
They clearly can't balance them both in a single game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I keep wondering if my personal disappointment in every Pokemon since post-Black and White had to do with me getting older. I still wonder to this day? I'm 32. Am I too old for this shit?

I know one thing. The series has never truly evolved from a single player standpoint since then. Maybe that's my issue? Maybe I just don't want the same experience over and over again?

I have been certainly disappointed in the graphics, for sure. They could do much better there. In my heart, what I really want out of Pokemon is a game that makes me feel like I'm part of their world and I haven't felt that in a long time. I don't want to quit the series but I'm losing my love for it, slowly.
I know it didn't have to do with it for me, unless one year made the whole difference. XY was immediately after bw2 and it wasn't hard to see it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
This is ridiculous, I was in my 20s when I played Black and White for the first time and it became my favorite gen, beating out all the games I played at my most impressionable periods growing up. While it is certainly true that many people are nostalgic for the old games, it's completely false that the games haven't changed at all and don't vary in quality at all. The DS titles in particular are just exploding with so much more content and creativity than the pared back anemic offerings since.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They have gotten worse. Gen 5 came out when I was about to go into college, and it's my favorite gen, so that clearly isn't nostalgia based. And I have been playing since blue.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It was okay while playing but most of the game was waaaaay too easy and just some semi-boring button mashing.
Was annoyed about the bad story conclusion after I've finished the story and immediately forgot everything about the game.

Overall an average 6.5/10 forgettable game imho.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Woof... is Pokken an option? Mystery Dungeon? SMT V? Smash with Pokeballs on high?

The Switch is a barren wasteland of good Pokemon RPGs right now. I'd just wait until gen 9 at this point and hope that's better or pick up one for a different system.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Sword is easily my favorite base pair Pokemon game of all time, and I'm hoping the DLC will elevate it to be the best of the third versions. So much to do and lots of QOL features I really dug.

My gripes with the game wouldn't have changed a single bit if all the mons were in, since stuff like the dumb raid AI, lack of VS recorder, and low amount of new ribbons have little to do with the mons, though I do hope that some of them will be fixed in the DLC (I know the apricorn thing will be!). That and if they made it so the Y-comm show you what your friends are doing and being able to invite them to battle from ther without having to do some password bullshit would be very nice. Joining raids like that was super fun, so I hope they can add that for just casual battling too.

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. The music is godtier, which surprised me after not being impressed by many Pokemon songs since Emerald/Platinum and PMD having to fill that void, the wifi is super hella fun and the battle tower is easily my favorite post-game facility to date due to all the QOL tweaks that made it much more fair and fun. I'd definitely dig a frontier or extra facility in that same style for future games, as we finally abandoned the cheapness of the Battle Maison. Also, being able to skip cutscenes, collect berries and TMs, and gunting down all the gigamaxes gave me more to do in Sword than I've done in any pokemon game since X. (where I just went full force on the wifi due to voice chat, which sadly, is STILL absent from Sword/Shield...) Definitely not disappointed in this game, since I've been horribly burned before on Pokemon games (ORAS says hi), and was a bit nervous this would follow. Thankfully, it did just the oppsite for me.

I think it's a good start for a bright new era of the franchise if they keep this up, and the fact they didn't just crap out an ultra version this year and call it a day and instead made DLC that addresses feedback is a smart move. GF pretty much changed things in SWS based on stuff in Gen 7 (skipping cutscenes/removing fat from the story being the big thing), so I'm confident they'll keep on tweaking.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
The pokemon cycle since Black&White has been the same to me:
I avoid any info on the new games to get surprissed by the new things, but then i get dissapointed at how it always is the same...

I begin the game excited to see the starters, and it gets worse each gen, they make you talk to more people and waste more time to even begin the game or get into a route/town/gym, sword was the worst, and the designs get uglier (i mean, shouldn't their goal be to make this creatures memorable and merchandise the hell out of them, but no they are forgettable.), the start pokemons were fine, but by the time i saw the prehistoric pokemons i stopped playing, the mix fossils concept was interesting, but the pokemons were just stupid, so i wondered "why am i even playing this shit?" and looked up the rest of the new mons online.

I couldn't care less about the story of pokemon games, i just want to be dropped in the world with a pokemon given by the local Oak-a-like, and get on my way to battle gym leaders while encountering cool creatures and training/evolving them, i was on board when they said this game was going to be the BotW of pokemon, but nope, its the same old game...

They should go the BotW/Obsidian/Bethesda way of putting the main goal as becoming the "Pokemon master" and throw their main story, as a side quest, instead of forcing boring lines of dialog that just make me wanna go to sleep, or at least keep the mystery around the legendaries/mythicals.

Last edited:

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Worst Pokémon games. People rag on X/Y but that still had a very memorable region in Kalos (one of my faves) and an incredible online system. Mega evolutions were cool and there was at least an attempt made with the story with the flower Pokémon even if it was very campy. Sword and Shield have really nothing going for them except neat Pokémon. I'm a fan that only cares about the main story and post game activities and Sword and Shield completely failed in that regard. Dull exploration with no interesting places to explore. Drab story with awful characters. Marnie straight up has no personality. The only reason why people like her is because she's a waifu. Hop of all people is the one that has actual development and yet is hindered with the fact that he never has any actual chemistry or bond with the MC.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was bored out of my mind in the later half and didnt finish it. The dlc bringing back old legendary pokemon also annoys me.

I dont think the series is for me. Atleast let's go eevee was a fun little distraction

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really a big Pokémon fan but I bought this digitally at launch and didn't play it again after the first few hours. It just seemed so easy, way behind the times technically (even for a Switch game) and dare I say it... incredibly childish as in I think a lot of kids over the age of 10 would find it a bit over the top in terms of feeling dumbed down for a younger audience.

I feel exactly the exact same about Animal Crossing so hey I get I'm not in the majority lol.

Please don't misunderstand this for a troll post. Nintendo are my favourite video game company, I've been playing their games for 25+ years and 3D Mario, Mario Kart, DK, Pikmin, Starfox, Zelda and Smash are amongst my favourite ever franchises.

I'm not asking for Breath of the Pokémon or some huge budget, dream Pokémon MMO. I'd gladly accept something on the level of the latest Dragon Quest in terms of visuals, World and narrative.

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It was ok. I am not a big Pokemon player having only really played 2 games before this one but I could see this game actually being considered dogshit if you were a hardcore fan. It just felt pretty anemic even compared to the ones I played before. The fact that it was on console and I played much of it with my wife and it was her first Pokemon title made it seem better than it actually was I think.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Leaving aside my disappointment for the Dex cuts, it's a decent JRPG in a vacuum, albeit not one of the better ones on the Switch, and on the middling rank within the Pokemon series overall. The new creature designs are great and but the visuals are only "better" by the virtue of being on a screen higher than the 3DS' pitiful 240p, it looks incredibly rough in some areas and a lot of the animations are simplistic, for lack of a better word. The campaign is an utterly forgettable affair that's over almost as quickly as it begins, the "open world" portion of the game, while exciting in concept, is far too small in scale and runs terribly as is, and the decision to make Exp. Share permanent instead of a key item you can turn on/off makes the difficulty even more of a joke than previous entries, to say nothing of how little post-game content there is after its rather short story concludes.

Oh, and online continues to be a joke for Max Raids months after its release. Say what you want about Su/Mo and X/Y, they didn't have anywhere near the same amount of issues with their online offerings.

Barring some significant shake-up in the DLC, i'd put in between the following:

II > V > VII > III > VIII > VI > I > IV

Also, for the love of it all, they really need to stop milking the damn "two copies" tradition that has always been a cynical move to sell more copies; the DLC literally only unlocks for either Sword or Shield, not both

They have individual versions for DLC!

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Was waiting for a long time to upload my living dex. I dexited, said I wouldn't buy it and glad I didn't. The whole Pokemon home affair further pushed me away from the franchise. Got better things to do with my time.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sword is easily my favorite base pair Pokemon game of all time, and I'm hoping the DLC will elevate it to be the best of the third versions. So much to do and lots of QOL features I really dug.

My gripes with the game wouldn't have changed a single bit if all the mons were in, since stuff like the dumb raid AI, lack of VS recorder, and low amount of new ribbons have little to do with the mons, though I do hope that some of them will be fixed in the DLC (I know the apricorn thing will be!). That and if they made it so the Y-comm show you what your friends are doing and being able to invite them to battle from ther without having to do some password bullshit would be very nice. Joining raids like that was super fun, so I hope they can add that for just casual battling too.

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. The music is godtier, which surprised me after not being impressed by many Pokemon songs since Emerald/Platinum and PMD having to fill that void, the wifi is super hella fun and the battle tower is easily my favorite post-game facility to date due to all the QOL tweaks that made it much more fair and fun. I'd definitely dig a frontier or extra facility in that same style for future games, as we finally abandoned the cheapness of the Battle Maison. Also, being able to skip cutscenes, collect berries and TMs, and gunting down all the gigamaxes gave me more to do in Sword than I've done in any pokemon game since X. (where I just went full force on the wifi due to voice chat, which sadly, is STILL absent from Sword/Shield...) Definitely not disappointed in this game, since I've been horribly burned before on Pokemon games (ORAS says hi), and was a bit nervous this would follow. Thankfully, it did just the oppsite for me.

I think it's a good start for a bright new era of the franchise if they keep this up, and the fact they didn't just crap out an ultra version this year and call it a day and instead made DLC that addresses feedback is a smart move. GF pretty much changed things in SWS based on stuff in Gen 7 (skipping cutscenes/removing fat from the story being the big thing), so I'm confident they'll keep on tweaking.
I'd love if they tweaked their creatively bankrupt leveldesign that cant even match up with a gameboy game (and no, this is no hyperbole whatsoever), their embarassing visuals, animations and performance, the completely braindead and unbalanced combat in the single player campaign, and a story that can actually be called that, a story.

Would be real nice if they tweaked that, indeed.

Im just as glad as you that I can skip these atrocious cutscenes. The one with the guy singing without a voice is still making me cringe.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
The games was enjoyable enough to go through but once you beat the game then what? Hoping the dlc will be worth it but we'll see.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Its weird to say this, and I will definitely wait and see on what the verdict on the DLC is ofc, but at the moment I would rather have the 3rd version/Ultra versions than the DLC.

Mostly because games like Emerald and Platinum improved the story of their original releases while still adding content across the game. Like I can't even imagining playing Diamond or Pearl instead of Platinum now.

In terms of USUM I know that not everyone liked the story changes (I personally liked Lusamine's new ending and Hau), but other than that the other 3rd versions were always considered superior than their predecessors.

Pokemon Sword and Shield is a game that imo would hugely benefit from a rework in the case of a third version. Story changes, more Pokemon, and reworked maps would go a long way.

I know not all agree tho so it's okay!
Honestly, as much as I think Sword and Shield would stand to benefit from a decent 3rd version that actually reworks them into a finished game, I just don't trust Game Freak to make that game right now. Not after they cancelled the desperately needed Z and had USUM be both split for no reason and sidelined Lusamine. B2W2 were a really cool and fresh thing at the time, but, in retrospect, they seem to have made it impossible for Game Freak to go back to the old 3rd version model.

While DLC isn't going to make the base Sword and Shield experience good, it will hopefully free up enough resources that Gen 9 will be good enough that it doesn't need a 3rd version to fix it.
That's a new complaint. How so?
So I think Sword and Shield were actually a bit improved in this area, but ever since the number of new Pokémon per generation was drastically cut in Gen 6, there's been this problem where there's just a lot more old Pokémon around then new ones, to the point where it could be difficult to even find new ones at times. Gen 7 was definitely the worst about this due to a combination of Ultra Beasts taking up a bunch of slots and a ton of Alola Pokémon being relegated to weirdly rare spawns, but it's kind of just an inherent issue when you have these big regional Pokédexes where the new Pokémon make up such a small portion of it. There are actually more Gen 5 Pokémon in the Galar Dex than Gen 8 Pokémon, and, while it's nice to see a generation other than 1 get some representation, it's kind of emblematic of the issue.

It's part of why I really liked Gen 5 having only new Pokémon before the credits rolled. The new Pokémon were front and center for the entire main story. I don't think they necessarily need to go to that extreme again (though if we could actually get a ~150 Pokémon fully new regional dex again that would be awesome), but I do think that shifting more of the old Pokémon into post-game only areas that aren't covered in the regional dex would probably be an improvement.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, as much as I think Sword and Shield would stand to benefit from a decent 3rd version that actually reworks them into a finished game, I just don't trust Game Freak to make that game right now. Not after they cancelled the desperately needed Z and had USUM be both split for no reason and sidelined Lusamine. B2W2 were a really cool and fresh thing at the time, but, in retrospect, they seem to have made it impossible for Game Freak to go back to the old 3rd version model.

While DLC isn't going to make the base Sword and Shield experience good, it will hopefully free up enough resources that Gen 9 will be good enough that it doesn't need a 3rd version to fix it.

So I think Sword and Shield were actually a bit improved in this area, but ever since the number of new Pokémon per generation was drastically cut in Gen 6, there's been this problem where there's just a lot more old Pokémon around then new ones, to the point where it could be difficult to even find new ones at times. Gen 7 was definitely the worst about this due to a combination of Ultra Beasts taking up a bunch of slots and a ton of Alola Pokémon being relegated to weirdly rare spawns, but it's kind of just an inherent issue when you have these big regional Pokédexes where the new Pokémon make up such a small portion of it. There are actually more Gen 5 Pokémon in the Galar Dex than Gen 8 Pokémon, and, while it's nice to see a generation other than 1 get some representation, it's kind of emblematic of the issue.

It's part of why I really liked Gen 5 having only new Pokémon before the credits rolled. The new Pokémon were front and center for the entire main story. I don't think they necessarily need to go to that extreme again (though if we could actually get a ~150 Pokémon fully new regional dex again that would be awesome), but I do think that shifting more of the old Pokémon into post-game only areas that aren't covered in the regional dex would probably be an improvement.
The balance in bw2 between new and old was fine. You could still easily find unova ones, but equally pretty much also find old ones. It just seemed like it was handled the best.

Oct 25, 2017

I guess I've just never had that issue. With the last 3 gens, I usually had my team picked out before I got the game and came across them all. The only one that was hard to find was Galarian Farfetch'd but that was a low percentage thing.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I went from being a day one buyer, easily being hooked enough to stay up for 24-30+ hours straight on opening day if life allowed for it to not even bothering to buy it with this game.

So no, this is the first Pokemon Gen I am not playing. I can only say that looking at GF's choices on how to handle this game (resulting in not growth but REGRESSION) I ...am very much not a fan of GF and my heart weeps for what the series I loved could have been.

I'll just leave it at that. I don't think I could have been more let down without some kinda straight criminal news coming out.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I've just never had that issue. With the last 3 gens, I usually had my team picked out before I got the game and came across them all. The only one that was hard to find was Galarian Farfetch'd but that was a low percentage thing.
It's a much bigger issue when you're going in relatively blind and are trying to discover new Pokémon as you go.
The balance in bw2 between new and old was fine. You could still easily find unova ones, but equally pretty much also find old ones. It just seemed like it was handled the best.
Like I said, they don't necessarily have to go all the way like they did in Black and White, but I would really like it if they did.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's a much bigger issue when you're going in relatively blind and are trying to discover new Pokémon as you go.

Like I said, they don't necessarily have to go all the way like they did in Black and White, but I would really like it if they did.
No I mean bw2, not bw1. Bw2 had a mix of old and new, but it was balanced.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely disappointed.

I don't know how they keep getting me either. I've bought the last 3 generations and have hated every single one. Every time the promise of newer tech, visuals, etc. draws me in, and every time I get about 6-8 gyms in before I get burnout and never finish them.

At the end of the day this game made me realize the list of things I don't like about Pokemon far exceeds the things I like.
  • The combat is slow moving, sparsely animated, repetitive and clunky. P5R may be the pinnacle of snappy turn based combat, but in a world where that game exists, Pokemon feels like a chore.
  • There is NO challenge to these games. No difficulty options to make me sweat a little. Feeling like I can demolish every trainer up to the Elite 4 with little strategy is not fun.
  • The story is always, always terrible. Especially so with Sw/Sh.
  • Visuals and art direction do absolutely nothing for me.
If I can thank Sw/Sh for anything it's for waking me up to the fact that I'm probably just not a Pokemon fan anymore, and to just be okay with it rather than trying to force myself to like it.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
No I mean bw2, not bw1. Bw2 had a mix of old and new, but it was balanced.
Sorry, I probably could have phrased that better. B2W2 had a good distribution of Pokémon, but, given the choice between that or BW, I'd personally prefer something more like BW. I know that that isn't super likely to happen after seeing how Game Freak reacted to complaints last time they tried it, but it was one of my favorite aspects of BW.