• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lombaszko

Oct 25, 2017
The Monster Party micro episode was great! I never played it but looking at the box art, it was definitely one I saw in the video store. I should check it out because Bob and Henry mentioned it's similar to Eversion and that game is really interesting.

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The monster party ep was neat, it's a shame they didn't play the prologue music tho, which is melancholic and jaunty all at the same time.
Benj's "super metroid" isn't a metroidvania is some next level internet pocket protector pedantry. Sheesh.

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
Hi folks, it's me, the other Retronauts man, here to tell you all I've finally managed to get registered for these infernal forums. Also, I would like to request that the OP delete the mention of C**** M******* from the beginning of this thread because we don't talk about that poop idiot here.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Hi folks, it's me, the other Retronauts man, here to tell you all I've finally managed to get registered for these infernal forums.
Welcome! The Dark Souls of Retronauts hosts has finally arrived.

Also, I would like to request that the OP delete the mention of C**** M******* from the beginning of this thread because we don't talk about that poop idiot here.
Done and done.
He's so shitty.

Azar

Oct 25, 2017
SFCA
Hey, I'm on one of these podcasts coming out... sometime!

As a listener, may I suggest: more Jeff Green, always.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the Metroidvania episode today while playing Odyssey...Odyssey has a bit of that Wonderboy III feel to it when you know you need a certain transformation to get a moon and then you have to figure out a route to get there, some of which seems impossible.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Silly question, I'm on vacation with my wife and kids and would like to listen to the Final Fantasy Legend episode on our drive home if I can, but my kids are 5 and 2 and repeat everything so it's a no go if there's cursing in the episode. Has anyone listened to it and can confirm if it's clean or not?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The BOTW episode was a treat to listen to. I wonder if a Mario Odyssey one is in the works? Odyssey is "retro" in many of the same ways BOTW was considered "retro" for the sake of the podcast.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Hi folks, it's me, the other Retronauts man, here to tell you all I've finally managed to get registered for these infernal forums. Also, I would like to request that the OP delete the mention of C**** M******* from the beginning of this thread because we don't talk about that poop idiot here.

Hey Bob. Got into podcasts the past year (very late to the party) and have been having a lot of fun powering through the back catalog of retronauts and I've enjoyed your guest spots on Bonfireside chat. Keep up the great work.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Has Bob Mackey signed up to the forum yet? I recall him tweeting having trouble with the registration.

Ed: Oh, no wait, nevermind, I just noticed from the last post that was quoted. Maybe it's time for me to make a Talking Simpsons thread...

Final ed: I think it would be stupid of me to pass up on saying WOOOW! BOB MACKEY!

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Jeremy, how much do I need to donate for Retronauts to attend PAX AUS next year? :p

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Silly question, I'm on vacation with my wife and kids and would like to listen to the Final Fantasy Legend episode on our drive home if I can, but my kids are 5 and 2 and repeat everything so it's a no go if there's cursing in the episode. Has anyone listened to it and can confirm if it's clean or not?
I listened to it today, and can't recall any profanity, but I was listening to it alone, so it's not like it would have stuck out to me.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I just listened to the FFL/Saga episode.
I was in the process of writing a letter for this episode, but I'm a terrible writer, and had so many thoughts about the series, that I wasn't able to get something down for you guys to read.

Like most of the people who wrote in, it was my first JRPG as well. There was a kid in my after school program who had one of the games, and I thought it was so cool that I tried to convince my mom to buy one for me, but she wouldn't. However, a family friend had a copy of FFL2, and I was able to trade him something in order to get it. I fell in love with the game despite not really understanding most of the systems. my first time was using 2 Robots and 2 Monsters, and I had to restart the game multiple times and read a ton of GameFAQs in order to make any real progress. While you guys mentioned the glitch about using specific Hardware (a Fat Gameboy, not a Pocket or Color) to instantly jump into battles and manipulate the stat system, I ended up using the other glitch- at various points, based on the number of Magi you have, you can use the Trash Can in the inventory screen (Because Kawazu hates you, you have a limited inventory for your entire party, so you can use the trashcan to discard items) as an item that would raise your stats by one. These were usually rare items, but you could use the trash can something like 100 times before it would cause an error and "reset" the stats of your characters.

Even using the code, the game is hellishly difficult, and while I was able to beat Apollo, I was never able to defeat the computer defense system that serves as the games final boss. It would not be until I bought Final Fantasy Legend 3 a few years later with money saved from babysitting that I would be able to complete one of these games. I remember very little about this game, except that at this point, I had played Final Fantasy 7, and was happy that the game was a more traditional RPG with levels and the like instead of the complicated system of the previous game.

The Final Fantasy Legend series is the rare game(s) that have a special place in my heart, but I could never recommend someone check out today. They are very much a product of their time, having aged more like milk than like wine.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I like how BenJ presses Jeremy. His idea of a Metroidvania is crazy but he keeps Jeremy on his toes and it brings up deeper discussions.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
all the zillion talk made me think of my favorite kid magazine after nintendo power:
034DIlm9jhFNQqAWj.jpg

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The reception to that game (and to a lesser extent Nintendoland) is how I knew the Wii U was well and truly fucked. It's absolutely better than 3 and World yet people act like it is more of the same. I even know someone who is relatively well into platformers who think it is worse than NSMB2 and NSMB1.

I'm actually going through it again with a friend, about half a world every other week, and I'm having a fucking blast.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any desire for a FromSoftware episode?

I'd like to hear the guys go through their past games like King's Field and Shadow Tower viewed from a modern context. I believe Gary and/or Kole from Watch Out for Fireballs played through most of them for their Bonfireside Chat podcast, so they would probably be good guests to join in Bob's enthusiasm.

Last edited:

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
gonna pretend that the reason the SMT episode hasn't come out as planned during the anniversary year is that Nich is still working his way through company bureaucracy for podcast appearance approval. it's gonna be the best episode, i just know it!!!!!

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the SMT episode. Fingers crossed for Nich and Christian or Shane.

I suddenly have an urge to revisit the old Persona episode. That came out when P4 was brand new. Sweet Lucifer...

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm hoping that at some point Nich will be able to join us again, but Nintendo is pretty cautious about podcasts, so it may be a while.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I have loved this podcast for so long. I listen to it in the morning on the way to work...it's really early. That one guy's voice is sometimes so loud. It's a little raspy. lol. Henry? I guess I can't complain.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
Oh joy. I came late to Retronauts and while I was aware of the first 100 episodes and have been working my way through them all did not know there were another 66 live and specials and so on as linked in the OP. Wonderful stuff, especially with me being on a SNES kick recently.

It is a bit jarring hearing the word "retarded" thrown around quite as liberally as it is but I suppose we were all very different people 10 years ago.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Oh joy. I came late to Retronauts and while I was aware of the first 100 episodes and have been working my way through them all did not know there were another 66 live and specials and so on as linked in the OP. Wonderful stuff, especially with me being on a SNES kick recently.

It is a bit jarring hearing the word "retarded" thrown around quite as liberally as it is but I suppose we were all very different people 10 years ago.
It does really date the old episodes when something like that gets thrown in. For an otherwise evergreen show, it's pretty dissonant these days.

You should keep us updated on your thoughts of the call-in shows. I wasn't a big fan at the time (I think I am still cringing from the Sonic episode) so I haven't revisited them since they were new.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC

I'd say we weren't that different as people from who we are now, just less aware. One of our coworkers asked us not to use that word because they found it offensive and demeaning, so we respected that request and stopped using it. It took a little while, but we did it, and the show didn't suffer for it.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Has Bob Mackey signed up to the forum yet? I recall him tweeting having trouble with the registration.

Ed: Oh, no wait, nevermind, I just noticed from the last post that was quoted. Maybe it's time for me to make a Talking Simpsons thread...

Final ed: I think it would be stupid of me to pass up on saying WOOOW! BOB MACKEY!

I made a lasertime thread (mentioning talking simpsons of course) over in the community section. Didn't get much traction. Made pretty early in the launch of our new boards so I probably could've gotten away with putting in the regular off topic.

shameless plug:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/laser-time-ot-remember-alf-hes-back-in-pog-form.768/

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
As a longtime SaGa fan (and of Final Fantasy 2), I really loved the new episode about the first three games. Since I'm a crazy person, an hour and a half discussion on the games got me itching to replay FFL1, so I just finished up a marathon session to beat it start to finish with an all monster party.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite retronauts epsidoes are the radical dramers / chrono cross (of course) episode and the FF episodes (from 1up days and also the new ones they're doing). Really excited for the FF 6,7,8, 9, and 10 episodes (hope they're coming soon!)

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for continuing the Retronauts project, Jeremy. I listen to the podcast on my way to work, but ever since you went full-time, I haven't been able to keep up with all of the episodes. It's a good problem to have :-)
BTW, have you ever talked about Donkey Kong 3 in one of the podcasts? I've always wondered why Nintendo decided this title was a worthy sequel to the previous two games. It lacks so much that it suffers from The Godfather syndrome.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Miyamoto never should have made his daughter the star, that's for sure.

We are definitely due for an episode on Donkey Kong, and the Final Fantasy VI episode will go up most likely in January.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017

If you're jarred by the language in the old Retronauts' episdoes, do yourself a favour and never listen to any of the Luke Smith era 1UP Yours podcasts.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, If anyone has a link to the old Retronauts Bonus Stage video episodes scavenged from the rubble of Gamevideos, I would love to see them again and add them to the OP. I seem to recall some pretty great short interview/documentaries on Nobuo Uematsu and Yoshitaka Amano as well. They weren't specifically Retronauts, but hey. I haven't seen that stuff in years and I hope it's not all lost to time.

I'm 99% certain the Bonus Stage stuff was lost to time. It wasn't GREAT material, but I think it could have gotten there in time… I was just starting to understand video editing. Man, I wish I had access to cameras and people like that now and could make videos that aren't just me doing V.O. atop game footage.

I've got them. I have them encoded to DVD here, but I think I still have the original files on a hard drive somewhere.
I was honestly hoping to put the Kickstarter DVD on the shelf next to this one, but I read you that the video production options are not what they were.

retrofront.jpg
retroback.jpg

I'll see if I can't track down the files, if you'd like me to send/upload them somewhere.
Anyone created an ERA version of the 1up Preservation Society thread yet?

We are definitely due for an episode on Donkey Kong, and the Final Fantasy VI episode will go up most likely in January.

Looking forward to a DK show, I don[t think I've ever really heard anyone deep dive and sing the full praises of Gameboy Donkey Kong, and GBA Mario Vs. Donkey Kong.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Ray's game, Blast Rush, is out on iOS https://t.co/ME7osCubco
I played a couple of minutes of it- it's a fun wave-based Shmup that has some cool mechanics (moving sideways quickly to do short range side blasts), and it controls well for a phone game

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
i'll definitely pick it up to support ray, when the android version gets released

i know ray used to lurk gaf. has he taken the plunge and sign up here?

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've got them. I have them encoded to DVD here, but I think I still have the original files on a hard drive somewhere.
I was honestly hoping to put the Kickstarter DVD on the shelf next to this one, but I read you that the video production options are not what they were.

retrofront.jpg
retroback.jpg

I'll see if I can't track down the files, if you'd like me to send/upload them somewhere.
I'm not gonna lie, I'm still frustrated and angry about the way you put Bob in the crosshairs of a hate mob. But I realize the spirit of these forums is "reset," so… thanks for this offer. I would like to take you up on it.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I'm still frustrated and angry about the way you put Bob in the crosshairs of a hate mob. But I realize the spirit of these forums is "reset," so… thanks for this offer. I would like to take you up on it.

I appreciate the second chance. I know it's small consolation to Bob and yourself that the result I'm responsible for was not at all the result I intended... so much so that neither of you have any obligation to consider my intentions.

I'm the one with the obligation, to say I'm sorry.

And I'll check for those files later this week or this weekend, when I'm back home. Peace.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to Ray on releasing your first game! I hope you come hang with us here at some point.

I just listened to his and Alex's old Dragon Quest retrospective podcast over the weekend and it's still a good listen for anyone interested (especially No More Whoppers fans).
http://www.crunkgames.com/?p=380
Now I need to give that Phantasy Star Online podcast they did a listen, too.

retrofront.jpg
retroback.jpg

Anyone created an ERA version of the 1up Preservation Society thread yet?
That would be great, thank you for preserving them. I'll leave it to you and Jeremy to figure out.

Probably a long shot, but is there any chance you saved those Uematsu and Amano interviews?

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC I may have some additional bonus stages not on the DVD list there, that came out later, but I don't remember those interviews specifically. Sorry about the suspense. I may actually have them on a portable hard drive in my laptop bag, so I'll check tonight.

Did the guy that was trying to make sure we could still reach all the 1up content move on? For a while links to old articles were working but now they mostly seem busted again.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
My Amano interview was for USgamer, so it should still be up.

Uematsu dump: http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/NobuoUematsu
Thanks.

The videos I'm remembering had Mielke interviewing Amano in his studio (I believe Amano designed an engagement ring for him at the end) and Jane Pinckard interviewing Uematsu up in his remote mountain cabin or something. As I type this out, it's all taking on the cadence of a dream, but I'm 95% certain these were real.