• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zero-Crescent

Oct 28, 2017
Meant to post this when it launched, but I kept forgetting. I Am Error, a NES development book Jeremy referenced on the show many times in the past, is part of the $15 tier in this Humble Book Bundle, along with a bunch of other Games Studies books from MIT Press:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/game-studies-books

There's only less than 20 hours left in the bundle, so be sure to grab it if interested.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Meant to post this when it launched, but I kept forgetting. I Am Error, a NES development book Jeremy referenced on the show many times in the past, is part of the $15 tier in this Humble Book Bundle, along with a bunch of other Games Studies books from MIT Press:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/game-studies-books

There's only less than 20 hours left in the bundle, so be sure to grab it if interested.

if you buy the hardcover you get a nifty j parish blurb

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting to post, but there's been some real good episodes this calendar year. The show is really in peak form right now.

Though, it's a shame you didn't get a true expert in the form of someone's child to talk on the sonic episode (I will never forget).

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Those MacVenture ports were announced about a week after our Mac episode, as it happens. My episodes cause games to be reissued... Bob's podcasts kill celebrities. It's a weird dynamic, but it works for us. (Probably not for the celebrities, tho.)

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I love that listening to each episode will often arm me with a mission born of curiosity. The Namco arcade episode drove me to immediately go listen to the music from the Sharp X68000 version of Bosconian. Jesus, it is hot fire. So good.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After years of listening to insightful and entertaining podcasting from the retronauts, it was Bob's burrito analogy that finally drove me to the patreon.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid, I got a package in the mail that I wasn't aware was coming. When I opened it up, there was a Tetris watch inside. I think it was from a Pop Tarts mail away offer. I didn't do it, and nobody told me they did it for me. I'm guessing it was from my uncle.

Anyway, after I had the watch for about month or so, it disappeared. I asked my mom if she had seen it and she said no. A couple years later, I found it on my moms dresser broken from her trying to replace the battery.

She stole my Tetris watch!

Much like Bob's mom, that is the only video game she has ever played. I actually bought her a dedicated Tetris handheld I found a few years ago. A proper officially licensed one, not a "Brick Breaker 456 games in 1" thing. I should probably get her the Auduboy Microcard.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Any ad you hear me or Bob read, like the Shaq podcast promo, appears in all downloads. There are some ads like that one which we build into the show, and some that are auto-injected at the time of download.

(And yes, I used Shaq Fu music, because why wouldn't I!?)

Cyan

Oct 25, 2017
Just listened to the hypercard episode, good times. I remember making crappy point-and-click adventures with it back in middle school, which always involved nearly identical rooms made with a square in the middle of the card for the far wall and four diagonal lines coming out from the corners of the square for the side walls, floor, and ceiling (perspective!). The player would find an exit to the next room, and there would be a super nifty screen transition to show which direction they were moving. Heh.

I actually tried to do a space invaders-esque game as well at one point. Though it wasn't a bunch of enemies, just a player tank at the bottom of the screen and an enemy tank up top. The enemy tank moved randomly, and if you killed it you advanced to another level with a new enemy tank that fired shots that moved faster. The trick bit when putting it together was getting the shots to move the right number of pixels so they could overlap the player or bad guy for the hit detection to work, without going ridiculously slowly. That and remembering to have boundaries so the enemy tank didn't wander off-screen and become unkillable.

That one was pretty clearly not playing to hypercard's strengths. :P

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
re: Tetris episode.

Box Brown, not to be confused with Box Brownie made a cool comic about tetris
511d5SA8uVL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Puyo Puyo Tetris is an interesting game. It's the only game on the PS4 (I believe) that has a physical copy that you can't download digitally. Collectors take note!

In the puzzle pantheon, I'd love some lip service to Magical Drop and have someone investigate what happened to FACE who made Money Puzzle Exchanger/Idol which might be the best competitive puzzle game you never heard of.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I don't have a lot of spare time lately.... is anyone up for creating a "1up Podcasts Preservation Thread" for this forum like we had on the old forum?

I managed to get ahold of Todd Zuniga (hey he just published his first novel, so you know, check it out) and get the whole run of Sports Anomaly, so I guess I could seed a torrent and we could get that added.

Unless archive.org or something has this all covered, if so, let me know. With Fitch passing, I really wanted to make sure Sports Anomaly didn't get lost. OK sorry for the of-topic post. Thx!

Oct 25, 2017
I think 2001 was the number one box office movie of 1968 and made well past it's budget in its original theatrical release.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the Star Wars episode so far despite not being a fan. Jeremy have you ever considered a side podcast where you discuss other media? I've been a fan since 1up era and it's nice hearing you discuss other forms of entertainment

Hey guys I don't have a lot of spare time lately.... is anyone up for creating a "1up Podcasts Preservation Thread" for this forum like we had on the old forum?

I managed to get ahold of Todd Zuniga (hey he just published his first novel, so you know, check it out) and get the whole run of Sports Anomaly, so I guess I could seed a torrent and we could get that added.

Unless archive.org or something has this all covered, if so, let me know. With Fitch passing, I really wanted to make sure Sports Anomaly didn't get lost. OK sorry for the of-topic post. Thx!

I'd be interested in that thread. I️ know I️ have all of the 1up yours and egm lives lying around somewhere. Also all broken pixels but those are up on youtube

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be interested in that thread. I️ know I️ have all of the 1up yours and egm lives lying around somewhere. Also all broken pixels but those are up on youtube

I'm good (apparently) at hoarding podcasts and videos, but don't really have a lot of experience seeding torrents or keeping threads nice and well-maintained.

I'm halfway through Mr. Zuniga's first published novel, Collision Theory. It's good. I'm doing the Audible version and he reads it, and he does a good job--faithful to the tone of the book, he doesn't sound like he did on Sports Anomaly.
i.e. no BREAKING NEWS so far. ;)

Oct 28, 2017
After working through the first 100 episodes of Retronauts, I finally joined the circle of patreons today.

Got the first 100 from archive.org, still have to listen any live/prime episodes. If I get it right, there is no place where all episodes are archived, right?

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Anyone who complains about our supposed Nintendo bias after the incredibly involved SEGA episode that's going public next week is legally obligated to fling themselves into the nuclear heart of the sun.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone who complains about our supposed Nintendo bias after the incredibly involved SEGA episode that's going public next week is legally obligated to fling themselves into the nuclear heart of the sun.

If it's about the Decline and Fall of Sega's Console Business fanboys will just say you're too negative.

But sounds like whatever you guys did will be great. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Nice Fitch tribute on the Suikoden episode. He was the greatest disliked 1UPYours guest of all time.

Listening made me realize I have a Suikoden II save on my PS3Fat which I would like to go back to if not for the fact that it's on a PS3.

At some point in the episode it seemed like Jeremy & Shane were being needlessly skeptical of Shivam. Ha. Luckily it didn't slow him down any. Good job Shivam. Great episode all in all.

p.s. Imagine if you guys were tripping balls on psilocybin omg.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
That's not including the incredibly incisive interview with Mizuguchi that I believe is yet to hit the free feed. Loved all this Sega love! Feel free to continue down this trajectory :)

PS. FU bob :(

Oct 28, 2017
That's not including the incredibly incisive interview with Mizuguchi that I believe is yet to hit the free feed.

Yes, that one is not yet available for free. Already listened to it via patreon and must say that it was easier/better to listen to than some previous interview episodes. Maybe a higher bitrate for the patreon episodes or thanks to the bag of equipment Jeremy mentioned they carried to Japan? Anyway, good episode!

I also really liked the Micro episode on Video Game Ads. More coming soon?

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This Miz micro sounded better because it was recorded on three powered mics on a mixer vs. one USB mic in the middle of a conference table. A suitcase of gear makes a difference!

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
had some old episodes i had to catch up on.
TV ads from the 70s- yeah, if you look at the old atari 2600 boxes they were way more inclusive for gender and age. I mean a lot of the games still had spaceships and stuff, but was stuff a little less gendered in the freeweilding 70s than the commercialized world of the 80s with HeMan? I actually think about this a lot

Gradius episode (how'd i miss this) Funny that Kurt or Rob mentioned Cursor10 as an inspiration for a game when hg101 has an article on Oreike that _is_ based on cursor10. It's a ninja styled game from FromSoft for the PSP that looks beuatiful
https://hg101.kontek.net/oreike/oreike.htm

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dear JeremyParish,
I knew I liked you and Retronauts for a reason. It's not quite the Final Fantasy series level of depth devoted to Sega's premier 8- and 16-bit RPG series, but this episode of Retronauts with the Phantasy Star interview and interviews about soundtracks is definitely my jam.

Thanks.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
finally go to and finished the suiko 1+2 episode and ughh it made me want to re-play those games SO badly. it's been years. those games are so fucking great, i wish sony would just port a damn ps1 emulator to ps4 so i dont have to hook up my ps2 or 3

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Dear JeremyParish,
I knew I liked you and Retronauts for a reason. It's not quite the Final Fantasy series level of depth devoted to Sega's premier 8- and 16-bit RPG series, but this episode of Retronauts with the Phantasy Star interview and interviews about soundtracks is definitely my jam.
Glad you enjoyed the episode. I seriously can't believe that interview made it to air. Making it happen involved such a convoluted, weeks-long process that I was certain it was going to be shut down at any moment.

Oct 28, 2017
finally go to and finished the suiko 1+2 episode and ughh it made me want to re-play those games SO badly. it's been years. those games are so fucking great, i wish sony would just port a damn ps1 emulator to ps4 so i dont have to hook up my ps2 or 3
Never played the games but since I listened to the episode I'm looking for copies! ;)