• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riskman

Oct 27, 2017
Love the podcast, Jeremy. Just became a patron when I saw the FF VI episode pop up. Keep up the great work.

Shout out to the Mega Man X episode as well and how it was broken down like a boss selection.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
also could totally relate to the mash theme song being a turn off as a kid!

Also, theme to Taxi! I love it now, but man, it made 7 year old me want to slit my wrists

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I think I do this every once in a while, but I still wish they'd do a BBS Door Game episode (Trade Wars, LORD, BRE, etc). It's the one era of retro gaming that is largely ignored, but has all the hallmarks of online gaming that we take for granted now.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Ultra 64 tier is gone in the Patreon, so what do I have to do to get a series of episodes dedicated to the other Phantasy JRPG, Phantasy Star? The long dormant Nintendo vs. Sega fanboy in me can't help but be a little jealous that Final Fantasy gets 2 Hour long episodes per game while Phantasy Star hasn't been featured since episode 36 of the original run! Bring back Christian Nutt and the Mangod so we can get an episode about epic Phantasy Star II, the misunderstood Phantasy Star III, and Phantasy Star IV, which was Sega's answer to Final Fantasy VI.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dammit that ff6 episode reaaaaaally made me wanna go home and play ff6 haha

I know the episode ran long, but I wish they also included a discussion about the best way to play Final Fantasy VI in 2018. It's not as troublesome as Final Fantasy V, but it would still have been useful for listeners.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The Ultra 64 tier is gone in the Patreon, so what do I have to do to get a series of episodes dedicated to the other Phantasy JRPG, Phantasy Star? The long dormant Nintendo vs. Sega fanboy in me can't help but be a little jealous that Final Fantasy gets 2 Hour long episodes per game while Phantasy Star hasn't been featured since episode 36 of the original run! Bring back Christian Nutt and the Mangod so we can get an episode about epic Phantasy Star II, the misunderstood Phantasy Star III, and Phantasy Star IV, which was Sega's answer to Final Fantasy VI.

Only game I can speak on in the series is Phantasy Star and maybe a little on 4.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I didn't realize that tier was filled up. Huh.

Well, don't feel bad. I wrote about Phantasy Star recently, which means we think about it more than SEGA does!

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
After listening to The Goonies episode I had to watch the movie again but this time with my six year old. He loved it! He has never sat through a movie before from start to finish, but he was glued to The Goonies.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
ha i have a one and half year old and i tell people my happiest day will be when i can show her the goonies

It's a great feeling, whilst my 16 year old son hated it, he also hates old games, where as my six year old loves the SNES mini and playing Speccy games. He even said Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG and F-Zero are better than all the games on our other consoles.....I'm so proud of him.

Whilst I shake my head in disapproval as his brother plays Fortnite and PUBG.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
The limited run games podcast was excellent. Ive seen them popup on here and on gaf, but I never really followed them.

it was really interesting hearing how their process works. Most behind the scene stuff ive heard regarding games was in terms of game development. Interesting to hear more about the physical production end of things.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on the past few weeks and am on the FF6 episode. I could hear y'all talk FF and its spinoffs all day. Hopefully the FF7 episode comes out before the FF7 remake.

And no, Bob. The Celestina connection wasn't "obvious" to me. Not a big fan of 15th century Spanish novels or the operas based on them as it turns out, lol.

Excited for the Limited Run games interview after looking at some of these recent responses.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I really admire them for doing something they are passionate about. I'm sure every game and every day is a struggle. But at least they get up in the morning and do something they love.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Had the flu so fell behind, but Limited Run Games interview was top notch. I've only ever ordered one thing from them (Oxenfree - I'm in the credits, so I neeeeeded it) but the experience was fine.

Loved hearing about the sega cd/saturn boxes, that level of minutia is interesting. Also, hearing real sales number gets my inner nerd all hot and bothered (8k on night trap wasn't enough!)

Oddly enough I'm actually pretty familiar with Breach and Clear, when I was at GT it was one of the games being demoed at CES by Sony back in the day. I never realized LRG also made Breach, but that explains why it was game #1, always seemed odd to me at the time.

Super excited if they do switch stuff and esp if they get into real retro stuff, though would those be re-issues? I know SEGA CD has no copy protection, so that would be super easy to do, but if they did saturn, ps1, or any cartridge stuff, that would be rad. I guess Etsy/ebay kind of does this to a degree already, but having it be sanctioned and official would be nice.

Man, I almost bought Diamond Trust of London, and now I feel bad I didn't. But I probably still won't. Weird.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
A micro (one of those that would run for over an hour) could be done on all the official ports of Doom- that game was ported EVERYWHERE

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the Limited Run Games episode. It's awesome to hear the philosophy behind what they do. They're doing a great service by preserving games that could be lost forever. It makes me excited to jump in when they start the Switch releases.

I also loved that they read my letter in the new Metal Gear Solid Mailbag, but was devastated when Bob mispronounced my last name. I feel like there's a Simpsons GIF for that... >_>

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
God, Retronauts just feels so good when Jeff Green is on.

"I think John Carmack hears our voices like we hear dogs barking."

Love that you guys get him on when you can, Bob & Jeremy.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I listened to the Metal Gear episode yesterday, and it was great to hear a podcast about Kojima where the hosts pronounced his name correctly.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Currently listening to the Mario odyssey episode. this is excellent! I really love hearing you guys talking about newer stuff and how it relates to stuff from the past. it's kind of a breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing you guys talk about Mario world or w/e, but ive been listening since the 1up days so its nice hearing a topic which is quite new.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Listened to the FF VI episode last night. Great shit, especially considering how daunting a subject that game is.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Thanks, folks. I've thought a lot about ways to get more current topics into the show. It kind of depends on other people's schedules, which could make it tough, but I do have some ideas I'm hoping to explore in the coming months.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
The east episodes are becoming my favourite incarnation of Retronauts, it's probably due to my age and as someone who grew up on micro computers ( British ones at least ) it's just so familiar and hilarious.

Love the West episodes too mind.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
The east episodes are becoming my favourite incarnation of Retronauts, it's probably due to my age and as someone who grew up on micro computers ( British ones at least ) it's just so familiar and hilarious.

Love the West episodes too mind.

I second this. Im in my mid 20s, but it reminds me of listening to retronauts back in 06/07or w/e when I was a teenager and had no knowledge of games that came out before the n64 really. A decade later, due to retronauts, a ton of that history is now part of my gaming knowledge and has opened me to many more experiences.

The fact they're getting into all of that weird pc gaming stuff from that era is all completely new to me. its been fantastic, and takes me back to when I first started listening to retronauts.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
man scurge hive had cool box art
images

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
So, who owns the rights to Scurge Hive now? Is this one forever damned to obscurity? I picked up a copy shortly before this episode but I would love to see availability on modern console and PC. The end of Southpeak seems kind of nebulous and I have visions of some three-drawer file cabinet somewhere just labeled "video game rights we own and extra paperclips".

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
if you ever want to do more on isometric, I did some initial research a while ago. Most isometric games are actually Dimetric, and I think the dude who made the first iso/dimetric game ended up running nova logic!

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in to Retronauts is knocking it out of the park with these interview episodes. Loved Scurge Hive and was pretty bummed the day the Orbital Media webpage went dark and the company disappeared so getting to hear more about the game/company is an unexpected treat.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Been listening to some of the archived podcasts on archive.org and realized there was never a Fire Emblem episode on Retronauts. Am I just blind or have the 'nauts not covered that one yet?

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Been listening to some of the archived podcasts on archive.org and realized there was never a Fire Emblem episode on Retronauts. Am I just blind or have the 'nauts not covered that one yet?
they didnt start getting released in the west til like 2004 or so?
so it kinda makes sense there wasn't a "classic retronauts" episode on fire emblem
but i suppose a good chunk of the series can be considered retro by now haha. using the ~10 years old rule

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
they didnt start getting released in the west til like 2004 or so?
so it kinda makes sense there wasn't a "classic retronauts" episode on fire emblem
but i suppose a good chunk of the series can be considered retro by now haha. using the ~10 years old rule

True. I was thinking more of the NES and SNES entries, but Gamecube fits the bill at this point. There were two archives I found. One of the original show, one from what archive.org calls its "second iteration." Not sure about the dates, but the shows are here: https://archive.org/details/RetronautsLivePrimeOther

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Shining Force is both way easier to cover and has more weird divergence in its past. FE besides Gaiden did the same thing well until only three years ago when they decided to go outside their wheelhouse.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
that reminds me that I really need to play Shining Force. that's one I missed that I always wanted to tackle. Maybe after my Echoes playthrough.

RE: the divergence between pre-Awakening games, I wonder if a show organized around what FE does differently from other sRPG/tactical RPG games would be more interesting? I've just started getting into the series, so I only have so much context. Given all the debate about which games did what the best, I thought it might be worth diving into. then again, maybe not.

and er... I just looked at the Shining series Wiki entry. I had no idea there were so many games. what are the chances we see some of those games as part of the Sega Ages thing announced for Switch?

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017