• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I just subbed on Patreon yesterday and I@m trying to filter through the exclusive episodes but even selecting the "exclusive episodes" filter seems to be showing me text posts and normal episodes. Is there an easy way to filter to just get them?

EDIT: Filtering by audio and then exclusives mostly does the job, the odd regular ep does show up in there (282 for example) but for the most part it seems right.

Last edited:

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
I just subbed on Patreon yesterday and I@m trying to filter through the exclusive episodes but even selecting the "exclusive episodes" filter seems to be showing me text posts and normal episodes. Is there an easy way to filter to just get them?

EDIT: Filtering by audio and then exclusives mostly does the job, the odd regular ep does show up in there (282 for example) but for the most part it seems right.

Clicking on the "exclusive" tag should display all of the $5 exclusive episodes and blog posts.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Deathspank. The humor was pretty good. It was a decent Diablo clone. I remember an early quest required you to get manure for a farmer so he could grow some plants with one being your next quest item. In order to do it he gave you a hammer that did 1 damage, but had a laxative as it's magic property. You literally had to beat the shit out of some pigs to complete the quest.

The second and third games(Thongs of Virtue, The Baconing) are unfortunately not good. The humor overstays it's welcome, and I think they just ran out of jokes. Also they added guns to the game which just broke it and made it terrible. The games had a mechanic where comboing attacks without taking damage between them increased your damage the greater the combo you strung together. With the sequels adding enemies with guns, you were constantly bombarded with chip damage that didn't really risk you dying, but prevented you from ever building a combo up. Enemies could even hit you from off screen and the enemies with projectile weapons were just endless so it wasn't even possible to just take out the enemies with guns first, then try and start up a combo.

Then the later levels had enemies with really powerful guns that could kill you quick if you weren't paying close attention to your health.

God of War 3 was horny by God of War standards too as a result of having to outdo itself. If I remember correctly, For the first time, you don't have a threesome, you sleep with just one woman(Aphrodite). Instead of panning away to a vase that shakes and falls off it's pedestal or whatever while you are doing the minigame like in previous games, the camera pans to two half naked women who are pleasuring themselves while watching you have sex with Aphrodite. The climax causes them to fall to the floor off camera presumably to have sex with each other because they were so turned on by watching you.

It also has a scene where you have to literally use a woman as an object, that object being a doorstop. She then dies from being crushed by the weight of the door you forced her to prop open and you get a trophy for walking up to her corpse after the fact. 100x worse than the "Bros Before Hoes" controversy from Ascension. The PS4 remaster of 3 actually quietly removed that trophy.

Gerstmanngate was Kane & Lynch 1, not 2.

I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn. The thing I remember most about it though was Gametrailers giving it their "Best Graphics" award at E3 and a bunch of people getting mad.

Last edited:

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I might have blinked and missed in the EXCELLENT game boy color episode, but I always loved Warlocked. It's a compromised RTS (!) for the GBC with a dash of pokemon (you collect wizards, it's very mild) but it knows what platform it's on and makes those compromises work.

Also, for cargo pants, there's some GBC game where the main character has cargo pants. think it's a pokemon clone?
fake edit: the ESRB covers the cargo pants pocket, but the prima guide shows some sweet cargo pocket
61YVMKP41GL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

magi nation?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the Back to the Future episode.

I had forgotten just how amazing those movies were - the moment I finished the episode I sat down and watched the first movie and it really is a perfect film. I must be getting old because I found myself tearing up in the moments where Marty was the friend his father needed and the inspiration that Doc Brown needed to continue his work. It's just such a tight, expertly crafted film with brilliant effects and plenty of laughs.

It doesn't feel like a two hour film, if I didn't know the runtime I would have sworn it was 90 minutes.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
999 only takes 10 hours to properly finish. 3D Dot Game Heroes is a legit good game and not style over substance as the podcast said. A better game than half of the Zeldas but the lack of autosaving cost me the progress of about 90 minutes once. It still finished it but that was infuriating. I had to do its water temple twice. It was how I re-learned to manually save every 20 minutes in every game I play. Put it on the Switch.
link_3d_dot.jpg

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands isn´t a remake. Ubisoft released 4 unique games set between Sands and Warrior at the same time. The Wii and 7th gen ones are good but both are flawed. I lastly don't get how anyone can care about the lore and story of Castlevania. That´s why I didn´t care that Konami decided to reboot but only the first LoS game is good. The Warren Ellis toon is the single good story in the IP and it just had a Horrible Night to Have a Curse...

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
I loved 3D Dot Game Heroes but gave up towards the very end because the dungeons just got HUGE and tedious in a way the Zelda games never really did. Also, I was reviewing games for 1UP at the time and REALLY enjoyed the 360/PS3 Prince of Persia game Ubisoft put out around the time of the movie. I also reviewed the Wii game but can't remember a thing about it.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
"I hear that after you work at Ziff Davis for like 15 years in a row, they put you in charge of something. 12 more years and I'm gonna be in charge of the retro magazine. Except they won't have magazines at that point."

Jeremy Parish, soothsayer in chief, kinda. From Retronauts 16, Sega Master System, released in ~2008.

(Yes, some of us still listen to those old episodes. You should do one on Roms and Emulation again, the classic one is ace!)

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I doubt it exists as more than a URL at this point. UGO under Hearst bought 1UP from Ziff-Davis. Then Hearst sold UGO to IGN under Fox/News Corp, but IGN really just wanted 1UP and dismantled UGO pretty quickly. Then News Corp sold IGN to Ziff-Davis, and Ziff-Davis promptly said, "Wait, 1UP? I thought we already got rid of this" and shut down the site within a month or so of the buyout.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Makes you wonder why they vetoed you buying it. Actually it doesn't make you wonder. Better to sit on the domain for years and make nothing than to sell it and risk the person you sell it to making it a success, thus making them look dumb for selling it.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Nice hearing Mike on the podcast.

I've never actually played any of the Assassins Creed games. Just never got around to it.

I do remember 1up/EGM getting blackballed by Ubisoft for a user blog post. If I remember correctly, Ubi was already mad over something and then blackballed EGM/1up shortly after the review embargo ended(the review on 1up.com was a 7.0). Dan Hsu said on EGM Live he didn't think it was possible to get blackballed for a 7.0 review so he politely asked the PR rep "Hey, not that we are going to change anything or you are going to unblackball us, but can you at least tell us why?" and he got a reply with a link to a random 1up uses blog bashing the game.

I also remember Fuzzy getting that messanger bag at the AC3 launch party and beating me to the aluminum card from the Mister who showing up at the party, walked around at like warp 6 for 2 minutes, then left. Don't worry if you don't understand this. There's only about a dozen people who do.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I would play a Captain Todd spinoff.

Also there's a world 1-4 in Super Mario Bros Jeremy? You lie. There's only 3 worlds: 1, 4 and 8 and 8 is the only one with 4 sub levels!

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Virtual On 1 fully emulated in Yakuza Kiwami 2. How I played it.

About the censorship of games in Germany. It was only throwaway reference but let´s set the record straight. Part of my Bachelor's Thesis was on this.
The most censored game ever is Soldier of Fortune II from 2002. It´s localized the story into a sci-fi tales about robots set in a parallel universe.
The blood/dismemberment was also removed but the game still got an 18+. Legendary! This version came out one month after the society stopping Erfurt school massacre and the violence debate cooked up again for the final time in 2006 due to the Emsdetten school shooting.
There was the 3rd and final school shooting of this Millenium, namely the Winnenden school shooting in 2009, but games stopped being the whippy boy of politicians by then and Dead Space 1 released 100% uncut the year before. 2008 was also the year games were officially recognized as art by the government.
This 2008 double whammy tactically dismembered nearly all the pent up nonsense of the last 1,5 decades in one swoop. EA had to appeal the maximum amount of 3 times to get that 18+ but they got it. The 2008 games as art decision is also how the Swastika debate got solved about 2 years ago and that one only took that long as no publisher was willing to crusade for Nazi symbols as that would lead to international attention. The government mostly stepped it to reform the USK submission process. All Wolfenstein reboot games now have Nazis, the Swastika, SS runes and so on in the new German versions. Technically the US versions with German subtitles but all have the USK 18+ stamp and even the older censored versions of The New Order, The Old Blood and The New Colossus had zero gore cuts.
The German version of The New Colossus accidentally denied the holocaust but that was for the best in the end as the dubbed and de-nazified version that lacked any Jewish and death camp references ended up being torn apart by the media, actual newspapers covered this fuck up, which forced the government to step in as mentioned. That shit show of localization will be the last heavily changed for Germany version that can come out as the Nazi (pro-fascism use of Nazi symbols is still strictly banned in all media) and violence questions have all been answered. Swearing, smoking/drugs and graphic sex were never an issue.
Loot boxes are a ? but Geman Fifa games had to pull a gambling company from the shirts in some of the games for at least 3 iterations to get a 0+ rating. That´s how serious that topic is taken but gambling itself is legal. 18+ but legal.

Stuff like Soldier of Fortune II, the infamous censorship of Contra, Half Life 1 and C&C 1 to C&C Generals seen below are thus 2 decades in the past.
The Nazi stuff was its own complex odyssey and the USK has been MUCH more lenient than the ESRB for the last decade. Dying Light is the only high profile game this gen (shit like Hatred doesn't count) that missed getting an 18+ but the sequel is 99% confirmed for release which would easily grandfather in the original if the publisher is interested in appealing the original rating. Or the lack of it. Dying Light wasn´t even banned aka "Beschlagnahmt". It only landed on the Index on List A. List B is for games that are suggested to be banned by the USK. The government bans games in a separate court case if that has to happen but that was rare even back in the 80s to the early 00s. Dying Light 1 thus got our equivalent of an Adults Only rating.
3822-800-555-d27a38394fffd36d49b27deb933b665edad14154.jpg
Rgrunt.jpg
roboter.jpg
mhsf3f9ck1531.jpg

zdnbms8u87ogmxkze08g.jpg
1534006339_ws2_story.jpg

In conclusion: There is a reason why GamesCon is in Germany. Videos games became a fixture of everyday life as much as the TV somewhere during the 00s.
And never kill a fellow human. Kill robots instead. Skynet must be stopped!

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, that Crazy Chocobo song takes me back.

The first game in that trilogy is already retro. Second game is only a year away.

Oh god the visual of Jeremy pushing around Jose on a shipping cart screaming that song.

Rollin Rocker kind of reminds me of the Pogo ball too.

Last edited:

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Deadly Premonition episode was great. The talk about FYM's voice actor reminded me of an old episode of Warning a Huge Podcast (rip) that featured a Swery interview read by the Jeff Kramer.

You can listen here

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Not sure if anyone else here bought a ticket to the Uplink Long Island Retro gaming expo, it's all done online this year and there's been a lot of great panels and guests so far. Jeremy did a panel with Kurt Kulata on the origins of JRPGs earlier this morning and there's a Retronauts recording tomorrow with Frank Cifaldi and Kelsey Lewin (at least I think it's being recorded for Retronauts, Bob or Jeremy correct me if I'm wrong).

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I've been following Uplink and watching the panels on my own time... some really great stuff here. It's a shame we couldn't do it in public this year but Uplink has been a nice compromise so far. The Origin of the RPG panel with Kurt and Jeremy was excellent. I should've posted about this earlier, since now people from all over the world can watch. The panels will be available for the remainder of the week in case anyone wants to still register ($10):
uplink.liretro.com

Home - UPLINK 2021 Gaming Virtual Convention

Long Island Retro or LI Retro for short, is the largest and most attended videogame convention in New York while also being one of the premiere destination fan cons for gamers, vendors, and industry insiders alike. Hosted annually every summer, LI Retro is focused on the culture, history, and...

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great timing this week as I just finished the Chrono Cross Retronauts episode only to see Chrono Cross come up in HG101's Top 47,858 Games of All Time podcast.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
That was a teriffic interview with Jennifer Hale a couple of weeks ago. Lots of interesting insight into the work of a voice actor.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Has there ever been a fire emblem episode of retronauts? Checked the current feed and my old back up of 1up eps and didn't see one. Playing through three houses now which got me wondering

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
wow, huh, i'm not super familiar with this one, but this doesn't seem like the typical simple effort translation, like sin and punishments menu screens, or.... what was that ninja famicom game they put on 3ds? did that even get anything translated?

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
wow, huh, i'm not super familiar with this one, but this doesn't seem like the typical simple effort translation, like sin and punishments menu screens, or.... what was that ninja famicom game they put on 3ds? did that even get anything translated?
The Mysterous Murasame Castle. I think it was a straight drop of I remember correctly. Interestingly enough, the original fire emblem is playable now on NSO online if you have a Japanese account.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Knowing Nintendo, they've had a fully localized English ROM of the game that no one knew about sitting in an EPROM somewhere for 30 years, like with EarthBound Beginnings.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic episode today! I love Frank Cifaldi and could literally listen to him talk about anything and be rapt by it. I follow Kelsey on twitter but I think this is my first time hearing her speak, and it was so interesting to hear how she got interested in game history and her goals for future preservation. I would love to hear more of her in future episodes, and I would kill to have a shop like Pink Gorilla anywhere near here.

Jul 10, 2018
Could anyone help identify the first song in the VGHF episode (338), about 10 mins in, directly after the Game Informer ephemera segment? Thank you!