• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Are there more Final Fantasy series episodes in the foreseeable future? I think VI and VII are the ones I am most interested to hear some modern, 2018 takes on. I've gathered from stray comments that Jeremy's take on VII has warmed considerably in the years since the classic 1Up Retronauts episode about it (that was 10 years ago oh my god I'm dying) and VI isn't the unassailable god king that it once was in the internet gamer hive mind.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
FFVI was recorded a while ago and will be my next "Retronauts West" post. We'll probably get to FFVII by the end of the year, but first there's Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics to tackle…

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Looking forward to it.

I just started replaying the ps1 FFT again recently. Aside from the super slow text scrolling, the translation isn't as bad as I remembered it being.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
FFVI was recorded a while ago and will be my next "Retronauts West" post. We'll probably get to FFVII by the end of the year, but first there's Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics to tackle…

I could not care less about FFVII, but I am anxiously awaiting the Retronauts episodes on FFVI, FFT, and Chronicles Trigger.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Nice! Looking forward to it.

I just started replaying the ps1 FFT again recently. Aside from the super slow text scrolling, the translation isn't as bad as I remembered it being.
The main story is pretty OK, sometimes even quite good. The really bad stuff is mostly relegated to side material (like Daravon's tutorials) and the fact that there was no story bible for the localization (which resulted in things like some key terms and names being spelled in many different ways).

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The main story is pretty OK, sometimes even quite good. The really bad stuff is mostly relegated to side material (like Daravon's tutorials) and the fact that there was no story bible for the localization (which resulted in things like some key terms and names being spelled in many different ways).
Yeah having wizards and priests in Final Fantasy feels a little odd and it was right before switching over to the -ra, -ga, etc endings for spells in English too.

However, I just got a dancer and Wiznaibus makes up for everything.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hey Jeremy, just wanted to drop a quick line and say that I really enjoy Retronauts and your series on Youtube. I started listening to the podcast last year with your episode on Castlevania and Shovel Knight music – I loved it and have slowly been making my way through the backlog. Keep up the good work!

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Can't believe I never saw this thread.
Just wanted to chime in that retronauts is the best. The OG episodes were great, the Kickstarter era episodes were great, and the Patreon episodes are as good as ever.

I'll stop gushing now.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
There was a 1Up article I found a while back which mentioned that Tactics' localization was done partially by FF7's sole translator Michael Baskett and partially by an external company. For all of FF7's proofreading issues it was still pretty coherent, so I imagine that Baskett handled most of the main story. Some of the other stuff like the names of skill categories are so out there (like the Mediator abilities being labelled "Talk Skill", the most stultifyingly literal way you could ever translate the Japanese name, "Wajutsu") that it makes me suspect that the external company was in Japan. The best example was how every instance of the word "breath" in the name of a skill (no matter if it was originally in Japanese or English) was translated as "bracelet", as if the person who translated all the skill names honestly thought that bracelet was the English word for breath.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Breath in katakana is ブレス (buresu), brace in katakana is ブレース (bureesu), and considering how often the word "bracers" is used in fantasy games and literature, I can understand the translator thinking it was something like brace or bracer and ended up going with bracelet. Obviously it should have been caught, but translating with no context it's understandable.

Wizunaibus = "with knives" is just so delightfully wrong that I almost wish they would have kept it as a canon series name. Like the "esuna" spell coming from SN for "status null" but sounding like an appropriately mystical and curative word in English. I looked it up, and they've since translated it as "mincing minuet". Cute, but I want crazy.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Breath in katakana is ブレス (buresu), brace in katakana is ブレース (bureesu), and considering how often the word "bracers" is used in fantasy games and literature, I can understand the translator thinking it was something like brace or bracer and ended up going with bracelet. Obviously it should have been caught, but translating with no context it's understandable.
That's what I thought too, but then there's also cases like Kusai Iki (Bad Breath) and Iki no Nedome (Suffocate) ending up as Bad Bracelet and Stop Bracelet.

EDIT: Best one, Hanaiki (Snort) -> Nose Bracelet

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, really? Well then it's even weirder than I thought. Maybe it was Japanese -> katakana loanword -> the paper was left in a drawer until the context was forgotten -> "bracelet"

Who knows

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Do they record a bunch of episodes at once or one at a time? I think I remember Jeremy saying he flies out to do the show.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
VII is better every time I replay it, though I usually only play it once a decade. (Just finished it right around Christmas, a dormant save from back in 2011 or so!)

The story is so nice and elegant despite the poor localization. It's going to be a shame when the remake comes along and changes stuff enmasse to try and sell the game three times.

VI which I also finished last month is just as good as ever. Other games in the series rise up to its level in my esteem but it never sinks no matter how many times I play it. Might do the post game stuff in the Advance version sometime this year to get a bit more of it in.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
so funny listening to the spiderman ep, feel like I must be the same age as most of the panel (i know I'm a bit younger than Jeremy and a little bit older than Bob) got into comics right before the Image exodus, and the spiderman #1 Todd McFarlane was well adorned on the walls of every comic shop in CT.

I'm a bit of text adventure aficionado, so I'd like to comment on the questprobe/scott adams stuff.
First, while not a total donk like the funnies guy, he did become a pretty right wing religious guy later on, making bible software and the like. Also, the questprobe stuff was some of his only graphic stuff and some of his worse. You guys mentioned the Hulk game, to turn into the hulk you have to type, if I remember correctly, "bite lip" so dumb. His games were simple but very portable, they were on so many systems, and sometimes he had such little memory to work with he had to cut down the meager descriptive text to the bone. That didn't stop The Count from using the concept of time in an interesting way, or Adventureland presenting a stripped down version of Adventure/Colossal Cave that was still fun and memorable. Mystery Fun House even had multi-step puzzles playing out in a fun house/spy dead drop scenario.

As for the second person voice, that's very, very common for IF, and while Infocom, Sierra (or online systems) and Scott Adams are perhaps the most famous, there were a lot of big publishers back then (and even later, Magnetic Scrolls made amazing and beautiful text adventures across the pond along with Level 9.) Stateside we had Phoenix, Sirius, Penguin, Sir-Tech (wizardry!) all had text and graphic adventures, and high output.

also the first ~108 issues of Ultimate Spiderman is a blessing. It's great, myth-y, and practically 100% self contained and features the same writer/artist.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know who we are? We're the Plok people!

U8A4TnO.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Chrono Cross isn't tacked on to the Chrono Trigger episode as it is fascinating and worthy of its own discussion, not just in regard to what it does with/to Chrono Trigger, but just in regard to the game itself. Chrono Cross gets shorted a lot, but it is remarkable at times, and fails spectacularly in moments, and it's just so interesting to discuss and think about, especially with regard to the surrounding Square Enix games at the time, but in 2018 as we discuss more games that critique and deconstruct themselves.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. The Plok People, makers of Maximum Carnage, also made my most disappointing 16-bit beat 'em up, The Tick. All they had to do was replace the Ninja Turtles with the Tick. How could they possibly fuck it up?

Dimmle

Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy! Your recent interviews have been so fascinating. I'd love to hear more. I had no idea Shantae had roots dating back to '95. I'm grateful it ended up on GBC because I doubt we would have received that beautiful Virt soundtrack otherwise.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Thank you! I am lining up some potentially great stuff for the coming year, and I'm always on the lookout for more opportunities to talk to people about their games on-tape.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the Bozon interview. I just wish you could have gotten more questions in there. It felt like Bozon was kind of going off on a tangent on a few of them. Hearing him talk about Shantae being like a good Simon's Quest was my favorite part.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished listening to the latest Metroidvania episode, the Ratchet and Clank games are a bit Metroidvania, it's a mild form but the elements are there just in 3D.

I agree with Chris SOTN is the greatest game of all time.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Labyrinth episode is great so far, will finish on my ride home.
It's funny how many things I was nodding my head too, the hoarder lady is the scariest part, I really felt magic dance was off when I was a kid, I think it was the lyrics, they say "babe" and Toby is there, so there was a literal, kid logic connection, but the rest of the lyrics felt unrelated.
The Drill in movie reminded me of the drill booby trap in Quake 1 actually.

Also, Dark Souls II has a shopkeeper:
Dark-Souls-2-Merchants.png

who reminded me of the laby lady:
latest

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
has there never been a breath of fire retronauts episode?
that leitmotif thread had some BOF3 tracks posted in it, and now i'm feelin all nostalgic
bof3 and 4 are a couple of amazing, but flawed gems of the 32bit era

saltybeagle

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks to the SOTN episode, I now have this urge to put my backlog completely on hold to dive back into that game. Damn you Retronauts!

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
After listening to the latest Metroidvania episode, I couldn't help but think: wouldn't Metroid Prime be considered a 3d metroidvania that came out before Arkham Asylum...?

And also Infamous to a certain extent.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
The second half of the SOTN episode, where Ben gushes at length about his love for the game, is a must listen to anyone even remotely interested in classic games. Great job Ben. I would happily listen to a much more detailed episode, where you go through each and every interesting mechanic of SOTN, trying to reverse engineer from the designers' perspective why each piece of the 'puzzle' was placed the way it was, and the extent to which it was effective for the player.

Few games deserve a 'review' in the most academic sense of the word, but SOTN is definitely one.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Every time they mention SOTN and argue about Metroidvanias it jumps higher up my list of games I should have played but haven't and must ASAP. Honestly I disgust myself.

Also listened to the Animaniacs episode recently and I really did spend a lot of time with that and Buster Busts Loose (the SNES version). I actually managed to beat Animaniacs, I think, though I was a kid and had a lot of time on my hands to memorize that awful broom segment. The episode got me nostalgic for when I would happily buy a licensed game and love it, and the one I always think back on fondly but which I never see people talk about is Ocean's Addams Family Values for the SNES. Shameless in how Zelda-like it is, but the visuals, music and sound effects are so memorable to me and it was actually pretty fun. I remember getting lost at one point and calling a tip line. Ha!

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Stemming a bit from my last post, I think Retronauts does a fairly good job of avoiding the pitfall of leaning too hard on "Videogameology"; and I'd encourage the hosts to keep it that way.

For example, generally for a podcast, you want to group a bunch of games together into a common theme, as a convenient way to cover games that may share a developmental or cultural lineage, and to give the episode a cohesive feel to it. This is pretty obvious. However, in episodes such as these, the challenge to the hosts is to make sure the 'theme' doesn't become the 'topic' of the episode. If it does, you run the risk of having an episode wherein you are mostly comparing each game to some proverbial prototype "e.g. "Metroidvania", "Roguelike" ,etc". While on the surface this seems like a discussion worth having, it can be detrimental insofar as it may detract from talking about specific interesting aspects of the games themselves that may not adhere conveniently to the theme.

For example, in a discussion of 8-bit brawlers, it doesn't seem appropriate to get bogged down in the specifics of the Rat Race stage in Battletoads, even though there might be more interesting design decisions to talk about in that one stage alone, compared to what we might have gotten out of a more global-level compare and contrast to Double Dragon and/or Final Fight.

Anyway, keep 'em coming Retroids.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm glad that I haven't seen a single "these interview episodes are terrible, please stop." Much to my surprise, I've conducted as many dev/pub interviews in the past two months for this podcast as I typically did in a year in the mainstream press (outside of trade events like E3, and even those dried up as a source for interviews a few years back). Of all the outcomes to arise from taking Retronauts full-time, "doing more actual journalism" was not one I had anticipated.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the FF6 episode, and hope that we get to see other Trilogies (NES Castlevania?) get the same deep-dive treatment in the future

I'm glad that I haven't seen a single "these interview episodes are terrible, please stop." Much to my surprise, I've conducted as many dev/pub interviews in the past two months for this podcast as I typically did in a year in the mainstream press (outside of trade events like E3, and even those dried up as a source for interviews a few years back). Of all the outcomes to arise from taking Retronauts full-time, "doing more actual journalism" was not one I had anticipated.

I'm not a fan of them, but also, we get something like 7 episodes of Retronauts a month (now that "Micros" are like an hour lol), and I'm fine with there being the occasional item that isn't for me! I encourage trying new formats/things- while I didn't think the execution was great, I really liked the check-in with the Retronauts website writers episodes.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to pop in and say I (somehow only) recently discovered this podcast and it's quickly became my favourite. Informative, funny, interesting, it's got everything.

Thanks for all you do, Jeremy (and the other guys as well)!

P.S: Would love to hear an episode about Super Mario RPG and how that partnership came together, who was involved, etc. - I've always wanted to find out more about how that game came about - not to mention it's just awesome in so many regards (albeit a bit easy) - so hearing you guys discuss your outlooks on the game itself would be great too.