• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Pro Wrestling Advance is light years more advanced than Pro Wrestling. This is actually one of the GBA games I've been looking forward to the most on GBA Works

The next game that should be on the docket soon that I'm looking forward to is Gex on Game Boy color works.

It's not time for Klax, it's tail time!

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I was keen on not playing Stardew Valley because I usually sink so much time in those kinds of games, and this one looks particularly bulky but after listening to the episode I just had to try it. I love HM, so I'm really excited.

Oh boy, here I come for 100+ hours of watering virtual vegetables.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
D737BE64-6BD2-45AD-AC96-08F32567CBD7.jpg

Good to see Retronauts and other good podcasts (Including mine) in this month's Retrogamer.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the Pre-Atari console episode. My dad had a Video Entertainment Computer ( which was the Fairchild Channel F re-branded in the UK by Grandstand ) before I was born.

Never heard of the Studio 2 or 3 before this.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I played a lot of David's Midnight Magic on my Atari 800XL. Wiki says it came out in 1982. It had a lot of IRL pinball features:

-bumpers
-plunger
-an upper set of flippers
-targets in a row to hit and when you knock them all down, they come back up
-Bonus points at the end of a ball
-bonus point multipliers
-A place where you can lock a ball and if you lock 3, you trigger multi ball.
-bonus extra ball that can be triggered
-a tilt mechanic

You can see them in a longplay here:

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I played a lot of David's Midnight Magic on my Atari 800XL. Wiki says it came out in 1982. It had a lot of IRL pinball features:

-bumpers
-plunger
-an upper set of flippers
-targets in a row to hit and when you knock them all down, they come back up
-Bonus points at the end of a ball
-bonus point multipliers
-A place where you can lock a ball and if you lock 3, you trigger multi ball.

You can see them in a longplay here:

Yup, you'll find it was based off a particular real-life machine. Black Knight, which came out in 1980.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It used to be in The Pinball Arcade if virtual Pinball is your thing. Not sure if it currently is after they lost the rights to some of the manufacturers though.
Nope, it was pulled because it's a Williams machine. And I doubt it would get selected for Zen Williams, at least not over Black Knight 2000.

TBH I never really liked Black Knight, but it had some great first-time features and is a pretty machine. Don't actually think it's ever anyone's favourite machine, though.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
oh man i think there's an episode of a Life Well Wasted about this game's debut in Paris. it involves a horse peeing by accident
I revisited that episode recently, weirdly enough. The interviewee is Steve Ritchie, and you can hear in his voice how dejected he is with the pinball industry at the time (2009). Just shows how (somewhat) quickly a niche hobby/industry can turn around. 10 years ago he was feeling depressed about his lack of employment, but now is happily employed by the biggest pinball manufacturer in the world.

For an interesting watch, I also encourage you to check out Tilt! The Battle to Save Pinball. It was released around the same time, and has a similarly dire outlook from Steve Ritchie and other designers at the time.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be in The Pinball Arcade if virtual Pinball is your thing. Not sure if it currently is after they lost the rights to some of the manufacturers though.

I went and looked and Black Knight was in table pack 4 which I apparently did buy.

I fired up my PS3 and I couldn't get it to load. It would just freeze on the table selection screen. I went to my vita and I was able to get it up and running. I'm surprised I didn't notice the similarities before. I don't like the physics on the this version. The ball went wonky a lot and had a knack for ending up in the drain with no way to stop it(either right down the middle or down the far left or right drains).

I want to try a real life version of this. I'll have to be on the lookout. Maybe next Time I'm in Vegas or if I ever go to Californa Extreme.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Has anyone else noticed that any NES songs used before/after ad breaks in recent episodes are totally screwed up? The sound channel playing the melody is either muted or extremely quiet so what you hear is just the bass line and harmonies (if present)

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on a backlog of podcasts and really enjoyed the Super Mario RPG episode. Fun conversation and good insights from Maddie - you guys need to bring her back on the show more often.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone else noticed that any NES songs used before/after ad breaks in recent episodes are totally screwed up? The sound channel playing the melody is either muted or extremely quiet so what you hear is just the bass line and harmonies (if present)

Just out of curiosity, are you using smart speed in the Overcast app?

It'll remove gaps in the audio track and it does really funky stuff to chiptunes since I guess there's absolute silence between notes and no hissing like regular recordings.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed the Portable Mario episode - looking forward to a Wario deep dive!
Warioland games were one of the very first episodes when the podcast re-launched as a Kickstarter campaign. Must be 7 years ago at this point. I think a warioware podcast has also been done. To be fair though, I haven't listened to the portable mario podcast so I sure if they said they would redo the wario games.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019

It'll remove gaps in the audio track and it does really funky stuff to chiptunes since I guess there's absolute silence between notes and no hissing like regular recordings.
I am using Overcast but I don't have smart speed or voice boost turned on. Another podcast I listen to (Retro Game Audio) uses chiptune all the time and doesn't have this problem.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think I've only listened to one episode as of recent (the 9's years retrospective one) since I'm still catching up but I did notice the Mario Bros. 3 music sounded very wrong too. Almost like the bitrate was degraded. I'm listening on Google Play.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Warioland games were one of the very first episodes when the podcast re-launched as a Kickstarter campaign. Must be 7 years ago at this point. I think a warioware podcast has also been done. To be fair though, I haven't listened to the portable mario podcast so I sure if they said they would redo the wario games.

That's what I meant by deep-dive. Parish and Bob mentioned that they'd like to go back and revisit the series in the new format.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'll have to look into the NES audio claims, but it's possible that the new normalization utility I'm using is causing issues. I have used Levelator for YEARS, but I finally had to upgrade to the current Mac OS X and it dropped support for 32-bit apps (including Levelator). Unfortunately there's nothing on the market as good as Levelator for normalizing podcasts.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Audio sounded okay to me. I don't know the source material well enough to know for certain though.

Slight knitpick: fireballs do bounce. Superballs ricochet.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
robocop episod was great! and it's on HBO right now, so ggave it a rewatch right after
little weird watching it after birds of prey, not 100% similar but some touches.

The locker room scene in Starship Troopers always stands out to me, because they panned and scanned it on cable so it looked really weird. alas, USA is scared of boobs

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
In my experience, the answer to "is it just me or is something missing from the Patreon feed?" is always "it's just you." Patreon's subscriber feeds appear to be pretty failure-prone, but it's nearly always on an individual basis.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to look into the NES audio claims, but it's possible that the new normalization utility I'm using is causing issues. I have used Levelator for YEARS, but I finally had to upgrade to the current Mac OS X and it dropped support for 32-bit apps (including Levelator). Unfortunately there's nothing on the market as good as Levelator for normalizing podcasts.

I thought it was a stylistic choice to isolate specific sound channels in order to hear the game music in an unfamiliar way.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is it just me or is episode 277 on Nintendo's online service missing from the Patreon feed?
seen this on the feeds today:
twitter.com

Patreon Support on Twitter

“@dbloodworth2 Thanks for sharing that. Looking into the post in that image it looks like the URL for downloading is not present on the main posts feed, but if you click on the time stamp you'll get to the post and the link is there. We'll reach out to the team about this.”

empo

Jan 27, 2018

I use that setting and I hadn't noticed anything weird but the Mario Bros music (all other songs were fine though) in the latest episode got really mangled and I thought what the hell is this before I remember reading this post a while ago. Haha had to record it.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I use that setting and I hadn't noticed anything weird but the Mario Bros music (all other songs were fine though) in the latest episode got really mangled and I thought what the hell is this before I remember reading this post a while ago. Haha had to record it.

YES. This is what I hear when I have smart speed activated.

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone direct me to where I can find JeremyParish 's prog rock podcast? Just heard the ad in the new ep of Retronauts but searching Google and Podcast Addict for 'Alexander's Ragtime Band" failed me 😑

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Really enjoyed the latest episode on Parasite Eve. Given Kitase's comments this week, maybe a comeback isn't so impossible after all? (Still fairly unlikely in the near future, I'd say).

Thanks to PE never coming out in Europe/Australia (to this day?!), I've only played the first hour via emulator and have always intended to go back to it.

I did play PE2 back in the day and, selfishly, I was hoping for some brief coverage of that instead of skipping straight to the extremely mediocre 3rd Birthday. PE2 isn't the best but it has some interesting components to it. I actually posted a short summary of my feelings on PE2 recently in another thread:

The first 50-60% is great in my opinion: fantastic environments and atmosphere --Dryfields is one of my favourite environments in any survival horror game. And thanks to it being a late Square release, the graphics are some of the best on the system, better than its Capcom equivalents, with some insane in-game background effects and incredible FMV.

Unfortunately, the game goes downhill rapidly in its latter stages as it introduces more and more unavoidable combat encounters, with more and more frustrating enemy types...it just becomes a frustrating, difficult chore, and the late-game environments aren't compelling enough to make it worth it.

It's worth watching a LP of the first 50-60%...then just watch the cutscenes.

I've been meaning to subscribe to the higher Patreon tier with exclusive episodes but it means unsubscribing from others...may have to make some hard Patreon culling decisions.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
You could legitimately do the wacky controller episode five to ten more times without repeating yourself. There have been so many especially on home computers from the 80's.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Ok I know the show did a good segment on progressive rock very early on in the reboot, but are there any ties between game music and the City Pop genre? I just started listening to this City Pop playlist today and some of the tracks sound very Japanese video game-ish.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't know of any hard connections between city pop and game music, but there's a lot of game music (especially SEGA mid-80s arcade jams like Out Run) with a strong city pop vibe, so it HAS to have been an influence on some level.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Listened to The Matrix episode...immediately watched The Matrix for the first time in 15+ years. Damn that movie holds up. Trinity running is so damn stylish it hurts. Now to finally go back and watch Robocop.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I put the last 2 main eps on the backburner to catch up on my audiobooks and did them back to back now. Listening to the Y2K one really shows that history actually ended after 2001 and not in the 90s. The The West Wing comparison is very apt and the "web economy" crash happened just after the year 2000 too as all noted.
I just turned 12 when we numbers rolled up to 2000 and was in 6th grade. I love my PC that had a Voodoo3, Chuck Dixon was my favorite writer (writing this makes me a bit sad) and the Dreamcast just launched in Europa. That console´s life cycle was something else in Europe. From the hot new thing to termination in only 1,5 years. One of the reasons I have no nostalgia for it.

Remembering all the (non-apocalyptic) possible post-2000 futures in pop-culture, T2´s deleted epilogue comes to mind, just shows that we diverted into something else altogether after the salad days of the 90s.

Remember when this was seen as terrible and worthy of deletion? About that... (T3, DF and the show are fine enough fan-fiction). And notice the lack of phones. A 2029 worth fighting for I say! There's no fate but what we make for ourselves Retronuats.

You guys did many, mostly great, film episodes before. I now know which film duology one I would like to see covered in the future or even a James Cameron ep in general. Kojima, RE 1.5/2 or Halo could have only come about due to him. A lot of Fallout and every Space Marine shooter ever, so the whole last-gen, are on him too. Cameron and Ridley Scott shaped gaming more than most famous game directors now that I think about it! I wonder if Miyamoto likes Legend 1985... That movie is worthy of a podcast of its own too as even Scott is aware of how big an influence the then flop became on other media.

Edit: Dragon Quest 7 is a mess on both versions, so is FF VIII and bobservo saw the light. Shenmue 1 was never good! Even back then. The 2nd half drove me crazy. Play SM2 till you had enough and that´s it. None of the Megaman Legends work either and they maybe aged even worse.

Last edited: