• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
This weeks early access episode is great. Steve and Chris are always awesome guests. I'm so close to completing my Koei Pasogo collection. I have 3 games to go. I was hoping Buyee becoming popular and making buying stuff from Yahoo Japan Auctions in the west 100x easier would cause more stuff to show up on Yahoo Japan auctions. But so far no dice. I'm still lucky if I find 1 or 2 auctions a year for anything Pasogo related.

Oh and you guys offered a private podcast for $1000 during your Kickstarter:

Pledge US$ 1,000 or more
A PERSONAL PODCAST. Yes, we'll record an episode of Retronauts just for you, and only you, on whatever relevant topic you want. We'll say your name and everything! You can share it if you want, but it goes straight from us to you.
Estimated delivery Jun 2013

Last edited:

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Haha, I would have been horrified if anyone had actually selected that option. If we had run that campaign post-Shkreli/Wu Tang, we wouldn't even have made the joke in the first place.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
My podcatcher Podcast Addict has been unable to download new episodes for a while now, every other podcast is working fine. It's giving me a SSL library protocol/ SSL handshake error.

Am I just out of luck? I think I am subscribed to the ITunes feed.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
@JeremyParish I posted this in the Video Works topic and now moved it, hups. About the latest Christmas episode:
Your podcast talked about how you are running out of gaming show Christmas episodes and you now did an album. That is where you are wrong!
Me and Japan got you covered for the next decade:

Amagami SS - Seemingly half the show

Clannad: After Story - Episode 13

Cananon (2006) - Some episode

Digimon Adventure Series 2 - Episode 38

Ef: A Tale of Memories - Episode 1

NEKOPARA: Koneko no Hi no Yakusoku - the OVA, i think

Persona 4: The Golden Animation - Episode 8

Pokémon Chronicles - Episode 25 (Christmas Night) and whatever the Pokemon: Pikachu's Winter Vacation collections are. The Jynx ep you did was something else.

Sword Art Online - Episode 3

Wind: A Breath of Heart - the OVA

White Album 2 - Some episode

And I only spend 15 minutes researching this. Bob Mackey will be overjoyed after watching Sword Art Online... Happy Life Day.

What did I miss fellow otaku? Ef: A Tale of Memories is the best one here and it is only a 6/10. Regardless, Japan says:
ac8350f4d5ad804270d14c77a874248d.png

This is an official promo for the films...They had ideas alright.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Jeremy, I saw on Twitter you were in the hospital with a case of shingles, if I understood correctly.

Sorry you weren't feeling well for the holidays and hope you recover quickly!

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Thanks! I seem to be on the mend now, and hopefully a little vacation time in Japan (assuming immigration will let me into the country while in such a sorry-looking state) will fix what ails me.

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the email about the changes in tiers and the exclusive patreon only friday Podcasts.

I'm currently on a more expensive tier because I wanted to contribute more... but it talks about the podcasts only being exclusive to the $5 tier. Does that mean I have to downgrade or should I expect my tier to be rolled up/down into one that gets access.

Sorry for the dumb question.

Also, happy new year!

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
holy grails episode was my jam, love when steve is on. Burning Paper was a new one for me, never heard of it.
I've been mildly obsessing over Nige-Ron-Pa for the neo geo pocket color, usually sells for 500 and it looks cute af.
The talk of pulled games and Chris' PC collecting made me look into the originally titled Hero's Quest (renamed Quest fo Glory) by sierra and see it sitting at 500 too. wow.

Cornering the market is also interesting, i think someone tried to drive up the price of....rampart? for the game boy color? in the early 2000s? I think pocket reversi or neo 21 for ngpc had a similiar situation.

Always curious about rare games that are also good, could be an episode...

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
So many great podcast episodes lately (LOVED the holy grails talk; I never tire of hearing Chris, Steve or Frank C. talk about collecting and hunting), but I wanted to chime with a thought about one thing in particular. I'm really digging the recent episodes that have focus on current stuff with retro appeal, e.g., the Limited Run Gaming, The Messenger, MiSTer, MM11, Link's Awakening. I don't know if y'all ever get any flack from people saying some this stuff is off-topic in a way but I fully support that kind of content alongside the typical talk like the Donkey Kong deep-dive etc. Keep it up!

I'm currently on a more expensive tier because I wanted to contribute more... but it talks about the podcasts only being exclusive to the $5 tier. Does that mean I have to downgrade or should I expect my tier to be rolled up/down into one that gets access.

The way Patreon works is $5 and up. So if you're already above the $5 level you're good.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Honestly, I don't recall ever getting pushback on that. The show originally launched around a brand-new remake of Final Fantasy III, so the old/new connection has been a part of the show's DNA from the beginning. Glad you've been enjoying it!

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the email about the changes in tiers and the exclusive patreon only friday Podcasts.

Sorry for the dumb question.

Also, happy new year!

There is no way the early access and patreon exclusive episodes won't be $5 tier and up.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta admit I was curious as well, only because most patreons are explicit about it. Want those bonus eps!

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
Yes, if you sign up for the $5 tier, or at any tier above that, you will have access to Patreon-exclusive Friday episodes as well as early access to weekly Monday episodes.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Hitchhiker's play through was hilarious! I played along with you whilst listening, I'd forgotten how obtuse this game was. Had a lot of fun playing it again though. Thanks guys.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
The bit where they were building up to the interview with Louis Castle and Benj said "or whatever his name is" was kind of gross. Even if you're not a fan of the games, show a little respect to someone who is helping provide content for your podcast.

I never played any C&C games, but I still found the interview quite fascinating.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
And with this, you are my second ever patreon sub. I've listened / read / watched Jeremy since discovering the 1up show around... 2006? This is long overdue support. Thanks for all the great writing and podcasts over the years!

I also love Bob, Kat, and the rest of the crew - Just mentioned Jeremy first because he had just posted. Keep castin those hot pods.

Last edited:

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Cloud Atlas for the first time this year and every single time Hugo Weaving was on screen the only words I heard out of his mouth were MR ANDERSON.......

Also, the best thing the Wachowski's have done is Sense8. That show is incredible.

I remember all the hype for the Matrix games and hearing the first one was bad and the second one was decent, but I never played them.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Super late on the Dragon Ball / Sailor Moon episode but I wanna say I'm kinda disappointed by it.

First of all, the guest lady that was supposed to be the Dragon Ball expert didn't know much about Dragon Ball at all. Bob seemed much more knowledgeable on the subject than her, and had to correct her several times on really basic stuff (like when she said the "Z" on the title was added by the localization). A guest who was more informed about the franchise could have made the episode much more accurate.

But the main problem was that the episode didn't give itself time to actually talk about the games and after rushing through or completely omitting most of them, the verdict was that, up until FighterZ, Dragon Ball has only had crappy games and that's really not true. There are several instances of great DB games since the NES, you just didn't mention them. I can quickly cite from the top of my head: Legend of the Super Saiyan (RPG for the SNES), Hyper Dimension (fighting game for the SNES), Attack of the Saiyans (RPG for the DS), etc. Stuff like these should have been mentioned. Also, games like the Super Butoudens, Tenkaichi Budokais and Xenoverse were also very good and needed to be discussed more to be made justice. The Dragon Ball games alone are such an extensive topic that it would be difficult to cover even if the episode wasn't half Sailor Moon.

Anyway, I love the show, just wanted to say that this episode felt like no one was very sure what they were talking about and ended up being negative on it anyway, and that wasn't very nice.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I really wouldn't say any of the SNES dragon ball games are any good. Legend of the Super Saiyan, Hyper Dimension, and the Butoden games are all neat and are generally approaching differing points of competency, but they were all extremely flawed games.

That said, I will absolutely stan for Tenkaiichi 2 on the Wii.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I know there were two guests, I was specifically talking about the problem I had with the Dragon Ball section.

I did notice she seemed very knowledgeable about the games, but she didn't have the time to talk about them, so what caused the strongest impression was the anime/manga part. Thanks for linking the article btw, I'm gonna read it soon!

Sorry if I sounded rude, not my intention. I was just a bit underwhelmed by the episode because I love DB and (some of) its games.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize how nostalgic i was for the matrix until that episode. I watched the first two movies all the time (and never even bought the third on dvd). I think this new movie is actually perfectly timed for a lot of people. I was also reminded that I played all the way through Enter the Matrix, lol. What a mess.

Was the music in the matrix episode from EtM or The Matrix Online? It was such a weird mish mash of sounds and instruments from the movie soundtrack that it just felt uncanny to listen to.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry as I haven't followed the cast as much lately but are the Friday patreon exclusive episodes temporary exclusives or what is their deal? I just got more free time at work so I've been catching up on the cast and wanted to know what the deal is

Nov 11, 2017
I am in the same boat with Bob, watched the first Matrix movie and really enjoyed it, never had any desire to see any of the other films as I thought the first one ended perfectly.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry as I haven't followed the cast as much lately but are the Friday patreon exclusive episodes temporary exclusives or what is their deal? I just got more free time at work so I've been catching up on the cast and wanted to know what the deal is

Monday episodes are better bit rate, ad free and a week early for $3 and up Patrons.

Friday episodes are $5 and up Patron exclusive.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This weeks early access episode is great. Steve and Chris are always awesome guests. I'm so close to completing my Koei Pasogo collection. I have 3 games to go. I was hoping Buyee becoming popular and making buying stuff from Yahoo Japan Auctions in the west 100x easier would cause more stuff to show up on Yahoo Japan auctions. But so far no dice. I'm still lucky if I find 1 or 2 auctions a year for anything Pasogo related.

Oh and you guys offered a private podcast for $1000 during your Kickstarter:

Pledge US$ 1,000 or more
A PERSONAL PODCAST. Yes, we'll record an episode of Retronauts just for you, and only you, on whatever relevant topic you want. We'll say your name and everything! You can share it if you want, but it goes straight from us to you.
Estimated delivery Jun 2013
If I had the money I could make a Fire Pro Wrestling podcast happen.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
At some point this year I have a Game Boy Works Advance on Fire Pro slated. Should be interesting?
It probably won't change your mind all that much from where you were at with Pro Wrestling and the lesser NES wrestling games in past NES Works stuff, but there'll at least be more to talk about, especially with all the knockoff wrestlers based on real people.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
It probably won't change your mind all that much from where you were at with Pro Wrestling and the lesser NES wrestling games in past NES Works stuff, but there'll at least be more to talk about, especially with all the knockoff wrestlers based on real people.

Fire Pro Wrestling Advance is light years more advanced than Pro Wrestling. This is actually one of the GBA games I've been looking forward to the most on GBA Works