• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Benj and Chris together are the worst combo possible. Don´t start with this ep or you will never listen again. Which sucks, as this is the best gaming podcast ever.

I get why Benj is a RN regular guest due to his PC knowledge but Chris is on the wrong show altogether with RN. Stick him on What a Cartoon.

I really warmed up to Benj with the PC focused episodes where he has a depth of knowledge and gets really passionate about it, he's great on those episodes.

...That said I can't stand Chris and his painfully unfunny Minecraft diatribe really cemented it for me. I feel shitty writing this but one of the reasons I find Chris so difficult to listen to because every utterance of his ends in a High Rising Terminal as if he's either asking a question or insecure about the statement he's making.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
His Arkham commentary in No. 258 was shockingly good, if I conder his abysmal understanding of Batman, but the so-called "Batmanologist" skipped playing Knight due to being morally opposed to driving the Bat-tank. Like what? No wonder his Bat-blog didn´t last. Away from his comics "knowledge" or I'll melt.

This is a legit good podcast but fuck me, what an episode. No preparation, abysmal arguments that bordered on trolling - that political "discussion"... dear lord-, few insights, a high amount of inaccuracies and a bad lineup of guests who brought little knowledge. Jeremy and Ben did fine but the podcast´s legacy could do without this episode. Kill It With Fire.gif

PS: The son of the pope Cesare killed the pope in AC 2 Brotherhood.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Chris is so annoying to listen to. I hate that he constantly sounds like he's on the verge of laughing at the end of every sentence. Benj is fine generally but i haven't heard him a ton because I generally skip any episodes with Chris.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Shrugs, I like Chris and Benj and Kat and well most (all?) the regulars. I mean Bob isn't good at video games but we'll let that go j/j. :D

I signed up for a patreon membership earlier this week too!

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is I took about a month off listening to Retronauts and it looks like I missed pretty much a jam packed wall to wall double episode a week bonanza.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
The "ten years ago" type episodes are throwaways for me because I re-quit gaming before any of these were released. So it's mainly funny to think of hyper modern (to me) games as retro. Just listen because I like the hosts. So my take is, I winced and wished the benj PC commentary had been edited out. I like benj so might be projecting, but I think his perspective was vaguely "loss of innocence." It really came off poorly though, and reminded me that this is a gaming podcast. Edged toward 1up era almost. I felt bad for him because I felt like he was doing something he didn't realize.

Re:Sims—I struggled with this at first too, but got used to it. I think he does bring something to the table. I appreciate his comic knowledge. It reminds me of the fella that comes on for roguelikes. That took a bit too, but I think there's a net gain to having him on.

long as im doing this, re: kat—love the eps she is on. Don't get the complaint on her as she has a similar vibe to barnholdt—maybe dry humor but adds a lot.

this podcast is my fav by far and even the "weak" eps are the highlights of my week. Kinda funny cause I weirdly disliked Jeremy in the GIA days (think I was immature and jealous) and now really admire him. Great show. I hope everyone involved has a heap of success.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on some episodes and just finished the one on Loom. Even though it's just Bob and Gary, it was a great conversation about a game that's often overlooked. Really enjoying Gary being included more, too. He's a great guest because he knows his stuff and doesn't step all over the other members when trying to make a point. Like good improv groups, Retronauts is at its best when everyone starts with "yes, and..." instead of clashing and contradicting with each other. Debate is great, but interrupting not so much. (Which is a reason Kat is another fantastic guest to have - she challenges a point without being abrasive.)

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Bring Back Barnholt.
We need more Ray!

I liked the 2009 episode a bit. I was twelve in 2009 so I have my very in-depth and very formative thoughts on what that year was like so I like hearing where you guys were and what you thought of the year as functioning adults as opposed to me, a kid who just got a Playstation 3 and was ecstatic about nearly every release I could get my hands on. It's very weird that Minecraft is a decade old. I remember my friends playing the alpha in 2010 and loving it and me just not getting it at all. I eventually downloaded it when they added sandbox mode because the survival gameplay was an active deterrent to me wanting to play it.

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
We need more Ray!

I liked the 2009 episode a bit. I was twelve in 2009 so I have my very in-depth and very formative thoughts on what that year was like so I like hearing where you guys were and what you thought of the year as functioning adults as opposed to me, a kid who just got a Playstation 3 and was ecstatic about nearly every release I could get my hands on. It's very weird that Minecraft is a decade old. I remember my friends playing the alpha in 2010 and loving it and me just not getting it at all. I eventually downloaded it when they added sandbox mode because the survival gameplay was an active deterrent to me wanting to play it.

A weird story I can tell you about Minecraft is I downloaded the alpha in 2010 because I heard about it on a podcast run by the future creator of Rick and Morty (Justin Roiland), so I ended up playing a bunch of multiplayer with that dude. Needless to say everything in that server was pretty disgusting but it's weird to think I was part of that world for a brief period of time.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The most recent Retronauts is almost entirely dedicated to the MISTer project, speaking to Smokemonster as well as others "industry" folk like Artemio (of 240p Test Suite and MDFourier fame). Glad that it's a topic Jeremy is introducing to the community, it can only be a good thing :)

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The most recent Retronauts is almost entirely dedicated to the MISTer project, speaking to Smokemonster as well as others "industry" folk like Artemio (of 240p Test Suite and MDFourier fame). Glad that it's a topic Jeremy is introducing to the community, it can only be a good thing :)
I saw that in the email this morning, looking forward to listening to it!

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've been wanting to tackle MiSTer all year, but I wanted to get SmokeMonster on the show for the occasion. Not sure how people will receive this episode, but as far as I'm concerned, it was worth the trip.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Double post, but do you remember what the closing song was you used in the MISTer-focused episode, Jeremy? I'm guessing Genesis but can't quite place it.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I've ever posted in here but I just wanted to hop in and say this recent episode was honestly one of my favourites. These folk getting into real detail about the tech and these things that they're passionate about was fascinating and it's a subject that I know little about but it's right up my alley. I also thought thanks to Jeremey's knowledge of the subject matter he was able to ask some good questions and carry the conversation very neatly.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Glad people are enjoying this unusually technical episode!

I think Plato's underlying tech would be realistic to emulate, but the strength of the platform was its collaborative networked nature, which would be a lot more challenging to recreate.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Glad people are enjoying this unusually technical episode!

I think Plato's underlying tech would be realistic to emulate, but the strength of the platform was its collaborative networked nature, which would be a lot more challenging to recreate.

yeah curious if the vectrex's oscilloscope core looks good recreating the amber 512x512 of plato. not sure if networking would be part of the core? that stuff with acid and circuit boards sounds really cool but i don't 100% get it

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I increased my patreon to $5/mo to get the upcoming exclusives for next year. It's still a great deal for my favorite podcast!

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I'll get around to that tier, eventually, but with so many other Patreons doing the same...the math suggests a lot of folks will drop in and out on a seasonal basis or when there's a really good amount of exclusive topics.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I really liked the 2009 episode. I enjoy the freeform kind of episodes. They don't bother me at all. Kind of funny to see people react negatively to them. Y'all take this stuff way too seriously.

Anyway, what a great year. Reminds me that I need to focus more on the "middle" timeline of my gaming life when searching for some gems to play. It's not all just vintage retro or brand new stuff.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I'll get around to that tier, eventually, but with so many other Patreons doing the same...the math suggests a lot of folks will drop in and out on a seasonal basis or when there's a really good amount of exclusive topics.

$5 is a pretty standard "back for early access plus patron exclusive episodes". I bet a not insignificant number of the $3 patrons only backed that little because Jeremy and Bob let them and undercharged. The last couple of times they bumped up the floor their revenue didn't go down. Don't think it will happen this time either.

Are there exclusive eps at the $5 level? Peeked and didn't spot that

Their will be starting in January. Friday episodes are backer only starting then.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
$5 is a pretty standard "back for early access plus patron exclusive episodes". I bet a not insignificant number of the $3 patrons only backed that little because Jeremy and Bob let them and undercharged. The last couple of times they bumped up the floor their revenue didn't go down. Don't think it will happen this time either.

Their will be starting in January. Friday episodes are backer only starting then.

thanks, will back for sure

JCG

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, I'm not arguing that this doesn't make financial sense for them as creators. It's more of an observation than a complaint. After all, if new people join and the overall amount earned goes up, it doesn't matter if a few leave or temporarily suspend their pledges and come back in a couple of months. You may not even notice that.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean my $3 on Patreon isn't worth anything anymore? Now they're raising it to $5?

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Those people wanting receipts sure are something. Like anything Bob and Jeremy showed them would be good enough anyway.

What's that, you're buying Kraft Dinner and not no name mac & cheese? Unacceptable use of Patreon funds.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Five bucks is more or less my sweet spot for these kind of things and Retronauts was a bargain at three.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
I found this podcast about a year ago and listen weekly, even if the content doesn't otherwise interest me. I'll have to consider dropping $5 to patreon. There aren't enough good videogame podcasts out there.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I listened to an episode of this podcast. Maybe it was about 2009? Trying to remember exactly what it was. And one panelist/speaker said "I miss a times where games were less politic and games culture wasn't political" and I wanted to chuck my phone across the room. He was insufferable to listen to. Luckily the main host shut it down pretty quickly and said games/the culture have always had politics in it

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I listened to an episode of this podcast. Maybe it was about 2009? Trying to remember exactly what it was. And one panelist/speaker said "I miss a times where games were less politic and games culture wasn't political" and I wanted to chuck my phone across the room. He was insufferable to listen to. Luckily the main host shut it down pretty quickly and said games/the culture have always had politics in it
Benj actually clarified what he meant, either on their website or on Patreon later. Pretty sure he meant that he missed the time before gamergate where the ugly parts of the gaming audience reared their ugly heads. Still not a great take but not as bad as he originally came off.

Anyway, this issue got discussed thoroughly in this thread a few pages back.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Jeremy, you mentioned there was a Segagaga translation in the DC episode. Is that a patch or just a translation document/file? I recently got into Dreamcast and tried it out, but didn't get too far without being able to read Japanese. Thanks!

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not necessarily a weirdo pick, but since Diablo came up in the conversation, Record of Lodoss War is a pretty decent Diablo clone IMO.