• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
40-80 minutes is the sweet spot. i kinda miss the mini episodes too, but I'm like the only person i know who likes short podcasts.
there is caine and rinse for longform single game deep dives.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
OK, a fuller answer is that we do indeed record episodes in sets of three across an afternoon (noon to 6 p.m. on a Saturday and Sunday, for a total of six episodes in a recording weekend), and these need to be coordinated with multiple guests. It doesn't make financial sense for me to fly across the country for a weekend to record fewer than six episodes, but recording nonstop for six hours two days in a row is already pretty exhausting. Anything more than that would result in some absolutely godawful conversations by the end of the weekend.

90 minutes is my ideal length for a podcast. I don't have any desire to stretch them longer. We can always revisit a topic from an alternate/expanded angle if we don't cover it in its entirety in one go.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
LOL, yeah my ears perked up when I heard "As far as I can tell its sales have remained relatively stable for the most part".

At this point, FromSoftware has probally surpassed platinum games as the most prestigious "non triple A" Japanese development studio and has rightfully earned a cult like status amongst core gamers.

Sekiro continuted the sales trend trend and no way Elden Ring does not continue the trend. FromSoftware is not to be underestimated. Their fan base is rabid.

They really blew up with Dark Souls 3 which arrived right in the middle of a console cycle and after the three previous Souls games had laid a strong foundation for a truly big hit. And DS3 didn't have the same kind of issues on PC holding it back that DS1 had. DS2 came out on PS3 and 360 after the PS4 and Xbone had already launched, so it didn't hit the same way.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
My heart sank when Shane said he can't truck with Sensible Soccer, which technically isn't completely top down. He might have been thinking of Kick Off or World Cup Italia 90. Sensi is one of the greatest pinball/football games of all time.

All the best football games have soccer in the title.

220px-PES6.jpg

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
OK, a fuller answer is that we do indeed record episodes in sets of three across an afternoon (noon to 6 p.m. on a Saturday and Sunday, for a total of six episodes in a recording weekend), and these need to be coordinated with multiple guests. It doesn't make financial sense for me to fly across the country for a weekend to record fewer than six episodes, but recording nonstop for six hours two days in a row is already pretty exhausting. Anything more than that would result in some absolutely godawful conversations by the end of the weekend.

90 minutes is my ideal length for a podcast. I don't have any desire to stretch them longer. We can always revisit a topic from an alternate/expanded angle if we don't cover it in its entirety in one go.

Thanks Jeremy. It's just tough to be torn away from those juicy conversations!
I'm fine with the episode length. Seems like a good system you have going on and I do agree with the others who said a succinct podcast is a good goal.

Keep up the good work, gang.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
The recent one on modern roguelikes was great. I don't think there is any other podcast that talked about Izuna at such length, it is pretty obscure. I played all the way through both and these games are incredibly tough and frustrating!

In Germany, Lufia 2 is considered a cult
game and came with a player's guide in a big box which is really expensive right now. Still remember it fondly, it started my love for roguelikes. Thanks for the show!

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the roguelikes episode I got as far as the guy with the weird voice halting the discussion by saying he knew nothing about Azure Dreams and then followed up by saying he's never played a PS2. Alrighty...

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Loom episode was great, really nailed it with "everyone's 3rd favorite" lucasart game. it really has something to it that's a little hard to nail down. Glad Wishbring was brought up and got excited some Trinity talk was going to happen, but alas.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it has hit the public feed yet but I really enjoyed the panel with Parish, Frank Cifaldi and Courey from MLIG, it was especially cool to hear on Frank's side about how they had to skirt around Nintendo's stance on emulation.

That said he came off as a bit of a know-it-all when Courey recommended the fantastic retrotink2x as a great alterative to the garbage scart/composite to HDMI boxes Frank was talking about. Frank just oddly starts shitting on it for not having a comb-filter. Jesus dude you just bemoaned the lack of a simple cheap alternative and when someone suggested there already was one you then shit on it for not being perfect? It just came off really douchey in what was otherwise a really enjoyable discussion.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I just finished up the episode on Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

3af5909c172fad541557ec436be96ac5.png

Although I didn't really have any issue with the discussion of the movie, I do have to say that, as a child, I was unaccountably fond of the Atari Games arcade game based on the movie. So it was surely a bummer to have the discussion linger for so long on the movie, and for everyone to brush past the game without a lot of consideration.

indytemp.webp
indianajonesandthetempleofdoom02.gif

Though it came out at the same era of isometric pixel-and-sprite-based Atari Games such as Road Runner, 720, and Return of the Jedi, this title (like Peter Pack Rat) operated with a standard joystick and button layout instead of a custom controller. The game actually had loads of digitized sound samples, and four distinct stages each based on scenes from the movie:

The Mines
This segment was a bit of a strange isometric/top-down maze level, with open platforms set against a cliffside, upon which you could freely walk, but off the bottom of which you could also freely fall. Indy wouldn't survive a fall more than one ladder-length high. This made for a lot of falling accidentally for people new to the game, which proved to be about as much fun as it was in E.T. for the 2600. Once you got adjusted, however, things picked up as you moved around the maze trying to find the exit and rescue all the captive children.

indytemp3.jpg

Interestingly, Indy didn't use his gun at all in the game and couldn't directly kill the Thuggee guards attacking him. Whipping them would stun them and drop them down a bit on the isometric map. One viable tactic was to whip the guard enough that he fell off the bottom of the walkway or platform and essentially out of Indy's hair for a little bit (depending on haw far the guard fell). Guards would survive very far falls (even "wrapping" off the bottom of the map and back to the top) and continue to plaque Indy. To this day I always remember the Thuggee guard voice sample for "stun" looping over and over when you dropped some guard out of your way: "Beeble-Beeeee! Beeble-Beeeee! Beeble-Beeeee! Beeble-Beeeee!"

indytemp2.png

There were flammable gas cans you could whip that would ignite, and these could impact the guards and kill them. Later on in these levels the maze-like complexity would really ramp up, adding slides and conveyer belts, and lava pits would be included to provide instant death for both Indy and the Thuggee guards. "Super" guards would also eventually appear, as well as Mola Ram himself, throwing flaming hearts that weirdly acted as guided missiles, seeking out Indy and killing him. Mola Ran was like the Evil Otto of the game, forcing a time pressure as he pestered you more and more the longer you remained in the level. Fortunately, all that was required to leave the mines was to find the mine cart exit, and Indy didn't need to find every captive kid to leave the level. You would, however, miss out on the bonus that was so crucial to pulling down extra lives, and be admonished that "Captives Left Behind!"

Mine Cart
Again presented from an isometric perspective (with traditional diagonal slant this time), the mine cart chase essentially played out like a high-speed maze game where the cart's path would split into two or three variants as it would its way through the tunnels under your control, while Thuggee guards in enemy carts pursued you. This made for an interesting push-pull of gameplay as you needed to go fairly fast not to have the guards catch up to you and instantly capsize you, but if you went too fast you had little chance to react to broken rails, rocks, or other obstacles that required you to lean one way or another to surpass.

1185_2.png

Slowing down some, but not too much, gave you a better chance at dodging obstacles, or steering around them, since as the game progressed some mine cart track turnoffs just led to certain death. This slowing would allow guards in carts to catch up a bit, and you would then need to whip them out from in front, behind, or alongside your cart on a parallel track.

indiana-jones-and-the-temple-of-doom-2.png

Like the mine portion of the game, dozens of progressively harder tracks were devised and in the game, with twists and turns that eventually moved away from the consistent slant shown in screenshots and took players in every direction but up. Like the mine portion too, the gameplay was tough enough that most players never got to see the later stages. Even with a marginal level select and a continue function, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was difficult. In retrospect, clearly way too much so.

indya01.png

Continuing your game brought you back to the mine section (not the mine cart or temple section) of where you left off, if I remember correctly. It was bad checkpointing. For me getting past the mine cart was generally a mix of lucky going-too-fast while whipping all around like crazy. This tactic didn't hold up as the game went on. Anyway, when you reached the end of the line, Indy would jump out of the cart to slow it, and it was always a good idea to make sure you whipped that last gas can across the tracks, or Thuggee guards racing up behind you could still kill you while you decelerated, even though you had made it through the level. Frustrating!!! After that, it was time for the third (and what I thought for the longest time was the final) stage:

The Temple
This smaller level was set in the sacrificial temple featured so prominently in the movie: that big proscenium stage, with the giant lava pit where an orchestra would other wise be seated. It featured Thuggee guards plaguing you as well as Mola Ram himself, appearing theatrically in a puff of fire and placing the Sankara stone more or less right in front of you, daring you to steal it.

INDYTEMP3--Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Temple%20of%20Doom%20set%203_Aug12%202_54_45.png

The goal of the stage was for you to grab a Sankara stone from the base of the statue over the lava pit. Your first run through the temple would end up very easy due to the wooden bridge you see in the front over the wide lava pit opening, in the shot above. That lava trapdoor would open and close on a specific timing, and for your first foray into the temple you could just pause a moment for the floor to close, run up over the wooden bridge, grab the stone and duck out through an exit door on either side of the temple easy peasy.

INDYTEMP--Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Temple%20of%20Doom%20set%201_Jan12%2022_04_14.png

Subsequent runs through the temple would burn the wooden bridge away before you could use it, and so you would have to run around to the side of the proscenium to use a wall-post to whip-swing across to 'center stage" and then cross back to the middle, to time your trapdoor-dodging stone-grab. All this while Mola Ram sends flaming hearts flying across the screen at you in unpredictable, zig-zag patterns. You could whip the flaming hearts out of the air (for big points) but it wasn't easy. Still, it was the only way to survive once one started honing in on you. With a simple map design that never changed, this level mixed things up a bit with how many enemies (and flaming hearts) it threw at you. Speaking of flaming hearts, the secret final stage!!!

The Bridge

You can see a brief flash of this stage if you stand and which the whole teaser loop for the game. To reach it you have to conquer the loop of the other three stages for three loops: one for each stolen Sankara stone. Once you do that, when you decelerate and exit the Mine Cart Stage, instead of the temple its time to go the big rope bridge and escape!

This level is again straightforward, as you move left to right against an onslaught of Thuggee guards and just so many flaming hearts. If you succeed, however, you reach the Sankara stone and enact the climax of the bridge scene from the movie. Sadly, though, there is no animation of a bunch of overly-zoomed crocodiles tearing up what appears to be a small red handkerchief, like in the movie.

indyj-2.png

Yay! You beat Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom! But not really! Because it's got a lot more mazes for you, and like Star Wars from Atari the climax of the movie is just the climax of one quick cycle through the game, and there are many more cycles through the stages awaiting, with ever-increasing difficulty.

Dangerous Ports
This game was actually ported to a whole lot of platforms, with results that vary greatly, but only from bad to worse. None of the old home computer ports play as well of course, but the candy-colored NES port is really very low-effort, coming from Tengen and not playing or looking very good at all.

Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Temple%20of%20Doom-2.png
9073.png

Myself, having still an Atari 2600 at the time, really wanted a port of the game to that platform. I mean, we had Raiders of the Lost Ark on 2600! Young me couldn't figure why the superior Atari Indiana Jones game couldn't come to the platform as well.
Indiana_Jones_and_the_Temple_of_Doom.png
dj_4c9e539638fcc.png

Just based on some quick reading it looks like the Atari ST port was the best of the bunch. But it doesn't look like any ports of this game were expanded adaptations that flashed out and deepened the gameplay like something like Ninja Gaiden for NES compared to the arcade version. They're all just variously inferior ports of the original game. SO if you're gong to play it, play the arcade game!
indiana-jones-and-the-temple-of-doom_4.png
images
indiana-jones-and-the-temple-of-doom_11.png

Play. The. Game!
Archive.org has the arcade original available to play. I feel the Retronauts crew didn't give it a fair shake, which is by no means a cardinal sin or anything, but hey I recommend you give the game a try yourself: https://archive.org/details/arcade_indytemp
index.php

Movie-licensed arcade games are, of course, not a thing we're going to see much of in the future. For a time there, via Robocop, Terminator, and even Batman Forever, we had a few. I can't even find a dedicated list of them on the internet. Maybe this could be a topic you could hit, to revisit this game a touch while discussing some of the others. It seems like by the time you guys got the the games discussion, everyone was a bit tired out, and the games got short shrift.

I was always fond of this game, and the opportunity to listen to a crew of retro video game experts discuss it isn't going to come about very often. With classic video games as your main sphere of expertise, I'm really not certain why so much of the episode was spent giving a modern take on the movie itself. Ah well. C'est la vie. Maybe I have helped fill some nostalgia gaps with this post here. Thanks and have a good one!

Last edited:

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
I love this podcast. I listened to the dragon quest 11 episode again due to me semi finishing the switch version of the game (beat the 2nd act).

I must say that Bob has the best way of describing old shitty people. When he said the composer of this game was an "old mummy" and how they should "put grandpa in the closet" I was laughing. He's also called Ronald Regan "oatmeal brained" in a different podcast that I now use.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I was weirdly just listening to some other podcast that had Felix Biederman on to talk about kojima and metal gear's ethos as a whole. I know Bob has had like half of Chapo recurring on Talking Simpsons, so maybe felix would be game for the future mgs4 episode?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Shane that MGS1 really is a glorified boss rush game. When I went back and played it again around when MGS5 was coming out, it really showed how tiny the game actually is- it's a hallway, a large room, another hallway, a boss fight- just repeated over and over again.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, the return to Shadow Moses in MGS4 really showcased the modest scale of the first game. It felt way bigger at the time, though. 3D spaces were more difficult and more intimidating to traverse!

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up the MGS episode. A nice chat that summed up the game and the fertile time period in gaming that it was a part of. Always nice to have Shane back on too. I would totally be interested in the book club mgs story podcast episode that Jeremy floated a few times.

If you listen closely, there are several side comments that reveal that this episode was actually recorded in 1984

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the return to Shadow Moses in MGS4 really showcased the modest scale of the first game. It felt way bigger at the time, though. 3D spaces were more difficult and more intimidating to traverse!
Yep, and before I went back and replayed it, I would have also said "no, it's a huge game!" It shows just how unique the game really was when it came out

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I first tried to play the game when I was 7 or 8, and I had the same reaction as Kat. Confused by what I was supposed to be doing in the first room and then put it away for a while. This was after I had happily bashed my head against Tenchu for hours and hours to make progress. Little kid brains are weird.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
For my money, my favorite, the game I played the most, and the best game of 2009 was:

The shooter Garden Warfare is a spinoff not a sequel. The sequels are FTP trash. Including the first game now retroactively. They removed the original paid version of the game from mobile stores and replaced with a FTP version and ruined the economy so grinding takes forever to get you to buy coins so you can unlock the bonus games, extra seed slots, plants, etc.

Just make a new game and charge $30 for it EA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy even said he specifically hired people with the same taste as him when kat was doing her USgamer plug and said retonauts fans would like the site, lol

Simpatico indeed

Oct 25, 2017
Did the New Super Mario Bros episode ever come out? I'm looking forward to hearing Jeremy defend his indefensible position on NSMBU.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
You figure out how small MGS is pretty quickly when you start running for a good time and skipping the cutscenes.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Just popping in to voice support for Kat.

I always listen to an episode she's on, even when I don't know/care about the topic.

Otherwise, I need to finish MGS! It's one of those games I started a year ago and pick it up whenever I'm in the mood AND have access to the TV (as a father and husband, this is really tricky). I'm at the part after psycho mantis and I'm in a cave maze with dogs...

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the MGS episode, and I've never played an MGS game. Speaks volumes for all who were on that episode.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
The MGS podcast must have been recorded a year ago based on the mention of that c*nt Kavanaugh just getting confirmed.

I'd go with PES4 or 5 over 6. PES6 was the beginning of the Dark Times for the series, especially the 360 version. Woof.

The 360 version was trash that didn't even left you save replays, but it was still great on PS2 and PC. And overheads worked properly, unlike in PES5 where they were broken and impossible.

Turnstyle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Four things on the 2009 episode:

1) I swear it feels like only a week ago that I was playing most of the games they discuss on the pod in this episode. I remember listening to Retronauts in its first incarnation, and the fact that they're now covering the 360/PS3 era is WILD.

2) Weird atmosphere in this episode from the off. Felt a bit prickly to me.

3) Minecraft isn't for everyone, but dismissing it by saying you don't play it doesn't remove its incredible reach!

4) Holy crap, what an incredible year for games.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So the 2009 episode got off to a hell of a start. "Gaming was better in 2009 because games were less political and less politically divisive". You hear people say this shit online so often, but it's something else to actually hear someone say this out loud to hammer home that people actually believe this crap. Thankfully Jeremy called it out with the quickness.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
So the 2009 episode got off to a hell of a start. "Gaming was better in 2009 because games were less political and less politically divisive". You hear people say this shit online so often, but it's something else to actually hear someone say this out loud to hammer home that people actually believe this crap. Thankfully Jeremy called it out with the quickness.
I haven't listened yet, but that certainly sounds like a Benj comment

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I'm assuming they are going to talk about Assassin's Creed 2, a game that is a sequel to a game where you murder a bunch of Christians, and has the Christian Pope as the "Final Boss" who you murder. Or that Minecraft and Shadow Complex came out, one made and one written by people who grotesque political views. Hell, even stuff like "Shoot up an airport as a russian terrorist" in Modern Warfare 2 happened in 2009!!!

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Benj posted a pretty lengthy comment on Patreon to clarify that his comment about politics vis-a-vis gaming was less about the content of games and more about how difficult it is to have a discussion about games that doesn't get sidetracked by politics (this episode being a case-in-point, ironically, due to his digression).

And yes, we definitely talked about Pope Murder Simulator 2009. Totally forgot about No Russian, though. Was that really 10 years ago!? Man.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Yeah I generally took it as not necessarily that the games themselves were less political, but the community around videogames weren't quite so quick to jump on something en masse that they found offensive.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Benj posted a pretty lengthy comment on Patreon to clarify that his comment about politics vis-a-vis gaming was less about the content of games and more about how difficult it is to have a discussion about games that doesn't get sidetracked by politics (this episode being a case-in-point, ironically, due to his digression).

And yes, we definitely talked about Pope Murder Simulator 2009. Totally forgot about No Russian, though. Was that really 10 years ago!? Man.
Earlier this year, I had a lot more free time at my job to listen to podcasts, and I started listening to 1UP Yours/Listen Up from 2009, and found it very interesting how Resident Evil 5 was handled. There was a lot of talk about "huh, sure is weird you shoot exclusively black people in this game", but then it would be followed up either with a joke, or just a quick move on. I think there would be a lot more discussion if this happened in 2019 instead of 2009

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
A few people were writing/talking about how poorly games handled sex/violence/race/gender in the '00s... but as one of those people, I recall those conversations were not so much shut down as dismissed as needless hand-wringing. Games media was mostly straight white dudes a decade ago, and we have the luxury of not having to engage with that kind of material if we don't want. Games journalism has benefited immensely from the past decade's influx of women/non-white/queer voices. It's a shame written media is being strangled to death, because the press as a whole is much smarter and more vibrant than it was 10 years ago.

dan2501

Feb 6, 2019
Absolutely loved the MGS episode. One of my friends is a massive MGS fan and has been trying for years to get me to play it, and it's just never appealed to me for some reason, but I listened to the episode anyway, and since listening have finally begun playing the PS1 version of the game. It is everything I expected after listening to the pod, what an experience. The build-up to fighting Gray Fox is one of the most intense and thrilling build ups to a boss fight I've ever experienced, remarkable that it came out in 1998.

It's also not just MGS, Retronauts has inspired me to play so many different games that I'd missed because I was too busy playing yearly release sports titles. I have a new found love for whole new genres of video games and I have Retronauts to thank for that. Keep up the awesome work JeremyParish

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The most recent 2009 episode (No. 258) was a mess and could frankly use a re-recording. The year deserves much much better. One of the few episodes I outright disliked and I head them all. Benj and Chris together are the worst combo possible. Don´t start with this ep or you will never listen again. Which sucks, as this is the best gaming podcast ever.

I get why Benj is a RN regular guest due to his PC knowledge but Chris is on the wrong show altogether with RN. Stick him on What a Cartoon.