• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kat Bailey

Host - Axe of the Blood God
Verified
Jan 5, 2018
I started replaying TIE Fighter after doing the pod, and I found myself loving the cutscenes all over again.

There will never be another game like TIE Fighter, honestly. Star Wars games now lean much more into the myth, where TIE Fighter was more about the day to day of running a Galactic Empire. It's more Heinlein than Lucas.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
TIE Fighter is frankly the best PC game ever made and the only thing that comes remotely close is Master of Orion. They both came out about six months apart.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Can someone point me to an episode in which Benj Edwards makes any meaningful contribution to the discussion, or has any sort of insight? Because I've listened to dozens of episodes he's been on and not only is he a fun-vacuum in every single one, but I've never actually heard him be knowledgeable about anything (besides promoting his products).

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone point me to an episode in which Benj Edwards makes any meaningful contribution to the discussion, or has any sort of insight? Because I've listened to dozens of episodes he's been on and not only is he a fun-vacuum in every single one, but I've never actually heard him be knowledgeable about anything (besides promoting his products).

His hardware knowledge is fantastic and he's hilarious, how dare you sir!

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
I started replaying TIE Fighter after doing the pod, and I found myself loving the cutscenes all over again.

There will never be another game like TIE Fighter, honestly. Star Wars games now lean much more into the myth, where TIE Fighter was more about the day to day of running a Galactic Empire. It's more Heinlein than Lucas.

Kat, will USGamer be posting a review of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw? Do the Privateer/Starlancer games hold any appeal for you personally?

Kat Bailey

Host - Axe of the Blood God
Verified
Jan 5, 2018
Kat, will USGamer be posting a review of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw? Do the Privateer/Starlancer games hold any appeal for you personally?

I'd like to review Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, but I'm the only one on the team with much interest, and I'm currently engaged with a load of more pressing projects. Do want to check it out though.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
The Running Man episode sent me down a TV Tropes rabbit hole, and I think I've found the earliest example of a bomb collar in fiction (unless I missed something):

In The Starchild Trilogy by Frederik Pohl and Jack Williamson, political dissidents are fitted with explosive collars with undefined timers that need to be periodically "wound up" by the guard's key to renew the timer. Within the series, legend has it that the only way around the tamper mechanism is to detach the head, remove the collar, and sew the head back on.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The Running Man episode was great, though I'm honestly surprised that Platinum never came up in the discussion. Madworld in particular really felt like it was also heavily influenced by Running Man.

Also, I guess Bob will be happy to know that Climbing For Money basically exists on Netflix in the form of Release the Hounds.

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IT'S MAN GOD TIME!
6ewugyu.gif

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
strider episode was fun, always like seeing jeremy being extra enthusiastic
Strider always seemed like a game certain folks were clued into. I never saw the arcade version, but I remember it was the first time I was aware of the word "megabit" either from a preview/review or the advertising.

Game was and still is impressive, the transmedia zigzag is so weird though. I always felt it's lore and presentation reminded me of an ornate diorama of sorts, a bit like after watchin the Dark Crystal documentary and finding out the lore bible they made only was represented on screen by like 8%.

Being an arcade game, the difficulty is weird to be sure, but with its cinematic flair, I'd be curious, and I'm not joking, to see a company like Playdead take a stab at it while imnplenting some level of arcade offensive/action

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
The Final Fantasy VIII podcast was excellent! Perhaps my favourite episode from the FF series yet. It's great that there was so much to dive in and talk about with this game - a testament to its legacy.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why no mentions of the overly hyped Supergrafx port of Strider that never happened?

The PC Engine CD port has surprisingly good music.

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Nice recent batch of episodes of the "Not Enough Time" podcast.

I particularly enjoyed Running Man. I know there are too inspirations to count, but one of the more modern examples I've enjoyed is Dead Rising 2's Terror is Reality game show.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The two Retronauts panels at PAX today are going to be streamed live here starting at 3pm PST:

3:00 PM: Retronauts: Super Metroid Vs. Symphony of the Night
4:30 PM: Retronauts: The Dreamcast 20th Anniversary Necromancy Jam

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Awesome! I can watch it now. I was planning coming down, but way too much house/yard/car work this weekend.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Jeremy's age relationship to TMNT makes me think of my own to Power Rangers.
I was born 1980, I watched 1 episode of Power Rangers when I was ~13? and noped.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I remember 1up podcasts and an Area5 video—both with Kat—talking about Demon's Souls back when it was still up in the air if these FromSoftware (the Kings Field guys?!) games were good or not. Feels like a different century now

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
"The original Dark Souls did just over a million copies"

"As far as I can tell its sales have remained relatively stable for the most part"

As of March 2015, Demon's Souls had sold over 1.7 million copies, while as of June 2019, the Dark Soulstrilogy had shipped over 25 million copies worldwide.[95][96][97]

Dark Souls III broke sales records upon release, with the title being the fastest-selling game in Bandai Namco's history, selling over three million copies worldwide a month after its international releashe.

www.eurogamer.net

Dark Souls series sales surpass 8.5 million

The brilliant Dark Souls series has surpassed 8.5m sales, and more than 3.25m of those were on PC.The numbers come from…

News by Robert Purchese, Senior Staff Writer
Updated on 1 July 2015

Dark Souls has sold 2,828,000 units worldwide
  • Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ("with Artorias of the Abyss") has sold 2,765,000 units worldwide
  • Dark Souls 2 has sold 2,311,000 units worldwide
  • Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin has sold 600,000 units worldwide
  • That's a total of 8,504,000 sold

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
I thought the podcast on gaming in Germany was good but lacking some crucial information: there was basically never an Arcade gaming culture. In short, Arcades were considered dangerous to children and therefore only open to people age 18 and up and very rare.

This is why gaming only blew up here in the 80s with the rise of home consoles.

Also, Jeremy, I didn't know you were still looking for GB games completely in package. Just sold my copy of Mega Man 4 in very good condition and would have loved to give it to you instead ... but I'm still looking for a buyer of my mint condition Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for the GBA :D

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The Germany conversation wasn't meant to be comprehensive, it was just bringing a person's personal perspectives to bear.

I loved that episode and hope there will be more like that coming (maybe Brazil, maybe gaming in the former eastern bloc countries)! Even if it was not meant to be comprehensive, it included a lot into its 40 (?) minutes. The 'Arcade = Gambling' fact mentioned above is one of few things you did not talk about, but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
My heart sank when Shane said he can't truck with Sensible Soccer, which technically isn't completely top down. He might have been thinking of Kick Off or World Cup Italia 90. Sensi is one of the greatest pinball/football games of all time.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
So, I'm surely spoiled by Talking Simpsons and What a Cartoon's lengthy deep dives, and I'm sure there's a good reason on retronauts's end, but why is there never enough time to finish a discussion? Is it that the recording space is rented for limited amount of time? Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games, there was so much more to discuss! What is stopping the gang from just powering through? Hunger? Lack of will? Haha. Please enlighten me.

I'll add that it was definitely the 1up preview or possibly review that clued me into Demon's Souls. At the time before that, I was questioning stepping away from gaming. I was excited to buy a PS3, but quickly felt like there was no more satisfying game experiences for me out there. Where in the late PS2 era, I was buying a few games or more every month, more than I could play really, the next generation of gaming was dry and empty. I bought Motorstorm Pacific Rift and really enjoyed that, and Uncharted 2 was on the horizon or maybe already came and went at that point, but nothing else grabbed me.

I have trouble putting to words exactly why hearing about the upcoming Demon's Souls made something inside me stir. I don't think at the time I was exactly aware why I was getting bored with games, but in retrospect it definitely was that everything was feeling like a hallway, a hand-holding, made by committee experience without challenge. The idea of a mysterious, unusual, perhaps janky game that threw you into a challenging world with little guidance, as the 1up preview described as I recall, fascinated me. And when I finally did get the game, I immediately got sucked in. I remember one absurd 12 hour session.. and I don't normally play games like that, I don't think I ever did, but I couldn't put this one down. Since then I find that nothing quite gets me excited like a new souls game, though I did pass on Sekiro.

It's not that the games are really that difficult, they just require focus, patience, and probably most of all, persistence and attentiveness. You don't have to play well necessarily, but the game almost requires you to learn, and learn at least enough to see that there are built in mechanisms and paths to take that can make the game as easy as you want it to be.
It's not that I agree with the toxic dew gamers that want you to 'git gud', far from it, I'm not particularly great at gaming, but I fully understand aggressive reactions when some are, for example, calling for an easy mode or whatever. I'm not in any way a pro player, don't play games competitively, but these games grabbed me like nothing else could and are some of the only games that I really can connect with. Just the idea of someone who doesn't even enjoy the design of the games, demanding changes... I think that takes games back down the path I mentioned earlier, built by committee, made to please everyone. I'm not at the front lines attacking anyone, certainly they're free to speak their own thoughts, but personally I do feel like, if these games aren't working for you, in a time of a great surplus of amazing games, maybe try something else?

As for Elden Ring, as much as I love the souls formula, my favorite is still probably Demon's, and like Bob I've grown a little fatigued, so I'm looking forward to something as fresh as Demon's was for me back in 2009. I have faith in the developer, in the director, and knowing that it's not just another direct Dark Souls sequel has me excited.

Last edited:

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
"The original Dark Souls did just over a million copies"

"As far as I can tell its sales have remained relatively stable for the most part"

As of March 2015, Demon's Souls had sold over 1.7 million copies, while as of June 2019, the Dark Soulstrilogy had shipped over 25 million copies worldwide.[95][96][97]

Dark Souls III broke sales records upon release, with the title being the fastest-selling game in Bandai Namco's history, selling over three million copies worldwide a month after its international releashe.

www.eurogamer.net

Dark Souls series sales surpass 8.5 million

The brilliant Dark Souls series has surpassed 8.5m sales, and more than 3.25m of those were on PC.The numbers come from…

News by Robert Purchese, Senior Staff Writer
Updated on 1 July 2015

Dark Souls has sold 2,828,000 units worldwide
  • Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ("with Artorias of the Abyss") has sold 2,765,000 units worldwide
  • Dark Souls 2 has sold 2,311,000 units worldwide
  • Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin has sold 600,000 units worldwide
  • That's a total of 8,504,000 sold
LOL, yeah my ears perked up when I heard "As far as I can tell its sales have remained relatively stable for the most part".

At this point, FromSoftware has probally surpassed platinum games as the most prestigious "non triple A" Japanese development studio and has rightfully earned a cult like status amongst core gamers.

Sekiro continuted the sales trend trend and no way Elden Ring does not continue the trend. FromSoftware is not to be underestimated. Their fan base is rabid.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I for one have zero desire to record 3-4 hour long episodes.
I appreciate an hour (1.5 hour at most) episode, so I can get through a single episode in one day's commute without having to remember what was said if there is a longer break between listening sessions. I also come for the banter with the old Retronauts/1up/USgamer colleagues (and the eastern syndicate) since I would rather hear the lived experiences and nostalgia (also an old person) than a deep mechanical dive that is better suited for a video series. All that to say keep up the good work and appreciate the years of retro gaming goodness.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Retronauts is just fine at it's current length, Watch Out for Fireballs scratches that superlong, ultra-granular itch perfectly for me.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm surely spoiled by Talking Simpsons and What a Cartoon's lengthy deep dives, and I'm sure there's a good reason on retronauts's end, but why is there never enough time to finish a discussion? Is it that the recording space is rented for limited amount of time? Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games, there was so much more to discuss! What is stopping the gang from just powering through? Hunger? Lack of will? Haha. Please enlighten me.
From what I've gathered, they record episodes in batches when Jeremy flies in to San Fransisco, so they have a certain amount of time to record a certain amount of episodes. They book different guests for different episodes, which means that going an extra hour or two would mean pushing back all of their guests' appointments later in the day (or to the next day) in addition to adding more recording days and rescheduling flights. Getting off schedule would probably be a logistical nightmare.

Jeremy has always talked about wanting to keep the show succinct. I'd be down for super long episodes too, but I understand the desire to keep it short and sweet as well.

Also, there's a lot of comments about how hot and smelly their recording room is by the end of those recording sessions, lol

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
I am fine with the current episode length, they can always do a second part.

Like for Pokemon maybe, an episode which I love and which would be a perfect topic with the new one coming out. The last episode did not go deeply into the metagame, the psychology and tactics of real life championships, the plenty of great romhacks or the myriads of possibilities for future titles. Would love for Kat and the others to talk about that.