• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the Lynx episodes on the backer DVD!

I had been a fan of Epyx C-64 stuff back in the day, particularly the "games" series like Winter Games and World Games, even going so far to buy and play knockoffs from outfits like Thunder Mountain in the form of Summer and Winter Challenge, and other dreck like Caveman Ugh-lympics and Knight Games.

The Lynx version of California Games is easily the best version released, even though it was missing the Flying Disc and Roller Skating events. Surfing on other platforms was a mystifying puzzle game that required you to reenter a wave at the exact same angle you left it if you jumped off a wave: on Lynx it was a fun games full of tricks. BMX was fast and crazy instead of slow and painstaking on C-64, and I was "As Good As James." If you're going to play any California Games, play the Lynx version.

All the original Epyx software ended up the only standout software for the system, really, except maybe Electrocop which looked great but was a chore to play (beat it, though!). There are a few later exceptions from Atari that were, as you pointed out, unlikely successful handheld arcade conversions, with about as much depth as your average arcade game. S.T.U.N. Runner stands out as one of these examples, which is also a good example of the unlimited sprite count and built-in spite scaling doing an admirable job of replicating a 3D polygonal racing game that runs at high FPS. The Hard Drivin' port counterexample, at 5 FPS, can show you how ill-equipped the system was for any real 3D. But S.T.U.N. Runner stands as the best home conversion of that game.

Perhaps the shallowness of the experiences on Lynx was most clearly tied to the cartridge format: a hard flat plastic insert housing the game ROM chip in a card-like form, with no room for batteries to allow any sort of save game state, and no mechanism in the system itself to remember saved games. In the long term, this really limited design on the console just after home conversions on NES of arcade games really diverged from their source material and created longer-term experiences that required saving.

Imagine trying to make an RPG on the system with only password-generating saving options! I played Bill & Ted all the way to the end, and those were some long passwords required. I kept a little notebook in my bag that carried the system. It was worth it.

Less so for Gauntlet III, and I may be one of the few regular consumers to ever play this game to the end. Gauntlet: The Third Encounter also used a password to have you "save" and return to levels. But it also had a limited inventory that allowed you to hoard health potions, and had levels later in the game you couldn't beat without a horde of health. So the password system eventually became useless and you had no choice to play it in one go anyway. On the flip side, your limited inventory would fill up with gold and other items, and they would stay on screen if you dropped them, so later there were actual levels designed as puzzles where you would fill up with gold and need to strategically drop gold to make room to proceed, and these became exponentially worse if you came into the level with a full inventory. Shades of a playthorugh I would struggle through years later in Resident Evil 0. What a mess.

To make it worse, every time you shot an enemy they wouldn't pop out of existence but fade away using the hardware scaling effect to shrink the spite away. This had the knock-on effect of slowing down every enemy kill to the point that the game became a mindless grind of slowly mowing down each enemy. The time beat this game became a gulag-like marathon of plugging though to see an ending which was basically just a splash screen of the same castle you can see in the attract mode, after killing a dragon. Beating this game is, in fact, one of my most difficult and challenging gaming experiences. It deserves a grueling fundraising marathon somewhere. Holding the Lynx vertical the whole time was one of the most vexing aspect, and I never understood how that decision was made. At last, thanks for finally positing a reasonable hypothesis on why that horrible decision was made.

Man, when you spent all your money on a Lynx instead of a Gameboy before going off to college the next year, you got really motivated to get your value out of the purchase, I guess.

I am one of the few animal to actually use the ComLynx cable and play multiplayer with a Lynx. I had a buddy with one who picked it up after I got mine, and we did quite a few rounds of Warbirds, blowing each other out of the sky in that surprisingly fun and competent WWI flying ace shooter. We used to play arcade Cyberball together, this friend and I, and thus we waited for Lynx Tournament Cyberball for years while the title was continually delayed, only for it to come out and be a total piece of crap. Madden '93 on Genesis was a better version of Cyberball, so we played that instead.

Chip's Challenge 2 did recently come out on PC after a bunch of legal headaches, where you can also get the first one as well. The game's designer, Chuck Sommerville, seems like a cool character, accepted a facebook friend request, and seems to be designing and building a lot of big LED light rigs for shows and various projects. He put out a more modern 3D follow-up to the game as well, called Chuck's Challenge, which you can also pick up on a number of platforms including mobile. Worth it!

R.J. Mical from Epyx also was kind enough to accept a friend request from a fan. Last I saw he was working in a gaming division at Google, and so I wonder if he has anything to do with the Stadia initiative. I'm glad you got into the real dirt on how Atari Inc did Epyx wrong. I'd love to hear an Epyx-focused episode, maybe something crossing over with the history of Olympic video games, how Mario and Sonic together are riding that equestrian all the way into the ground with the Mario & Sonic at Whatever Olympic Games series, yet how only Epyx has seemed to be able to make them really fun.

Ah memories. Thanks, good show!

Last edited:

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started the Virtual Boy Episode.

"So what's your experience with Virtual Boy?"
"I've never actually played Virtual Boy."

Not sure why I'm surprised, after the Metroidvania episode had a guy who'd admittedly never played Metroid, but thanks for saving me an hour.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I put together that episode because both I and one of our guests have played through pretty much the complete VB library and had lots to say about the platform, but you do you.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Started the Virtual Boy Episode.

"So what's your experience with Virtual Boy?"
"I've never actually played Virtual Boy."

Not sure why I'm surprised, after the Metroidvania episode had a guy who'd admittedly never played Metroid, but thanks for saving me an hour.
That's just Bob. He does the jokes. It's either didn't play or it was impossibly hard. You get used to it.

The episode was a good listen. Virtual Boy Wario getting some recognition makes me happy. Neat to hear about the crazy expensive Japan only games like fucking Space Invaders of all things. Hearing praise for Jack Bros. Only reminds me of how I bought the system for $50 along with what I thought were the good games, but didn't pick that one up for like $15 or $10. I was in high school so this was allowance money, and honestly who can predict these things? Still a bummer.

The problem with being this old is I've seen games be cheap, so I can't bring myself to pay a lot for a game. They're only worth what the last asshole paid for it, why can't we all agree to a $100 cap and if you don't get a game, move on? You'll never own every game ever made, and that's ok!

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
I think it can be helpful for coversatory podcasts to have a newcomer or skeptic alongside people that are passionate and/or very knowledgeable about the topic.

Bob hadn't played much Virtual Boy. Jeremy hadn't played much Resident Evil 4. Still great episodes.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the great ep on Shiren. I'm glad to here I'm not the only one who loves Shiren V.

I bought it before I even obtained a PSVita and then got a used one a few days later.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Jeremy is my favourite Internet person of all time, but him not having played RE4 gave me pause. I believe it to be a Top 10 all time game, and I love ActRaiser as much as he does.

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
Jeremy is my favourite Internet person of all time, but him not having played RE4 gave me pause. I believe it to be a Top 10 all time game, and I love ActRaiser as much as he does.

I feel the same, but over the course of the last decade and a half, I've just had to accept that the aesthetics and possibly gameplay of RE are just not appealing to him. It's too bad, 'cause I think a lot of them have really really smart design (at the very least 1, 2, 4, 7, and the remakes of 1 & 2), and a lot to dissect, but not everything can be everyone's bag.

There's tons of stuff I'm sure is great, and totally deserving of other people's appreciation, but I'm just completely uncompelled to try. Can't help it.

So, I guesssssss it's fineeee. lol

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think it can be helpful for coversatory podcasts to have a newcomer or skeptic alongside people that are passionate and/or very knowledgeable about the topic.
Absolutely. The Socratic dialogue has been around a fair while longer than podcasts have.

Also, I vote that it's time to leave the idea that people have to play every "essential" game cold and dead in the ground where it belongs. Life's too short.

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
Absolutely. The Socratic dialogue has been around a fair while longer than podcasts have.

Also, I vote that it's time to leave the idea that people have to play every "essential" game cold and dead in the ground where it belongs. Life's too short.

I guess that is what that is, isn't it? Also, thanks for ignoring that "conversatory" probably isn't a word.

I mean, I understand where Bog's criticism comes from, though I don't think it applies here. So many times I've bounced off of other retrogaming podcasts or facepalmed my way through retro topics on general gaming shows due to lack of care taken. Stuff that's entirely half-remembered anectodes, has not been researched, has no insight or analysis, throws out tired or disproven factoids that we all read on the internet 20 years ago, hot takes on things that the speaker has no experience with... I don't think it bugs me because I'm especially elitist, but rather because I really, truly give a crap. Retronauts doesn't do that, and that's one of several reasons it's GREAT. You guys realize that there's a wealth of new things to discover about old stuff, and you constantly provide really sharp perspectives on well-tread topics.

I know that you know that listeners only tend to speak up when there's something to criticize or correct. I've been guilty of that as well, so I wanted to make sure to say thank you for everything you do and have done.

... As far as the "must-play" attitude that can pervade classic gaming discussion, as much I'd like to experience everything that holds some importance, it's just not possible. Try as I might, I may never learn Japanese well enough to play imports unassisted, I'll probably never understand how to effectively play a Koei strategy game, and I for damn sure can't wrap my head around Mahjong. It's just not feasible to do everything. And when I have forced my way though something that I can't even feign interest in, it's a hollow, mechanical experience that often leaves me with no more insight or perspective than when I began. But there are other people out there that do have passion about those things, and that's what other hosts and guests are for.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Speaking for myself, I try really hard to keep Retronauts topics as diverse as possible while also doing my best to bring in people who know the material when it goes beyond my own admittedly limited first-hand knowledge. It doesn't always work out—there have been a few episodes over the past few years where we brought in someone who specifically requested a chance to take part in a certain topic and then contributed almost nothing once the mics were on. Flops like that kill me, but fortunately, they're few and far between. I think the two recent roguelikes episodes have been great examples of finding the proper guests for a topic I have an outsider's familiarity with—I could speak from experience to only a handful of the games in question in those episodes, but between the research I did and the call-in guests' exhaustive knowledge, we ended up with a pair of fantastic conversations about a deeply niche subject. That's the ideal.

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
Shocked this thread has learned of my secret plot to turn Retronauts into a joke-focused podcast because I despise all video games and in fact don't play them because they're too hard

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
After all these years, Im still waiting for the day when Bob and Jeremy start having the same taste as me in all games, and start saying what I would say about every topic.

Tick-tock, boys.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the kemco-seika episode, Square Enix actually publishes a ton of games they didn't internally develop.

There are multiple European developers/publishers that contract Square Enix to publish the game in North America I'm assuming because they don't have any infrastructure in North America and Square Enix does.

For example they publish all the Milestone racing games such as Monster Energy Supercross, Valentino Rossi: The Game, MXGP etc.

They publish Dontnod's Life Is Strange games.

They published Nier Automata for Platinum.

They publised Killing Floor: Double Feature for Tripwire.

They used to publish the Hitman games.

They publish all of Deep Silver's games in North America. You can preorder Shenmue 3 from Square Enix's website even:

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
After all these years, Im still waiting for the day when Bob and Jeremy start having the same taste as me in all games, and start saying what I would say about every topic.

Tick-tock, boys.

VALIDATE ME!!!

But seriously, is it weird that the idea of a Kemco-Seika episode is intriguing enough for me stop being terrible and re-up my Patreon? I changed banks, I'm sorry, I swear. 😬

TMNT episode was cool. Even though I think that first NES game is totally _okay_ (up until it decides to laser you to death inside the technodrome), I'd stick it next to Battletoads as a game that has a lot of variety and creativity... but was too demanding for most of the target audience (8-year-olds, dude) to ever see most of that work. I know that was the case for me when they were contemporary. 😕

Last edited:

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
I keep meaning to play one of the FF Tactics games, I have all of them but Advance. I always end up quitting and playing through Jeanne D'arc again. I'm up to like 8 times through. Man I love that game so much.

I put about 30 hours into A2 and I just got bogged down with the side missions. I wanted to complete them all before continuing on with the story but they were never ending so I guess that wasn't the proper way to play it.

I should see if my PSP Go still holds a charge and fire up one of the FFT games.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I put about 30 hours into A2 and I just got bogged down with the side missions. I wanted to complete them all before continuing on with the story but they were never ending so I guess that wasn't the proper way to play it.

Actually, you had it right the first time. The main story is pretty barebones, but they make it clear that Luso's goal should be to fill his journal and experience as much as possible. The 300 or so sidequests are filled with multiple storylines and interesting characters. I enjoyed the game well enough my first time through, but completing all the quests on a replay really made me love it.

As with most people, my biggest gripe is the loot system. It's tedious, and it takes too long to unlock some of the more basic classes and skills... but then right after that, they introduce the easy-to-abuse auction houses, where you can get most of the best equipment and skills! The balance is all off.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
JeremyParish

Just wanted to say that I've been a longtime listener to Retronauts. I kind of randomly hop around between episodes depending on my mood, so it's not like I've listened to all of them by any stretch, but it's still my favorite retro gaming podcast even today when we have several other good ones to choose from.

Listening to Episode 173: The Many Voices of Mario right now, and it's one of my recent favorites.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
man, i love fft so much. i instantly got the urge to play it whenever the music interludes came on
the episode inspired me to jailbreak my vita(turns out this is really, really, easy...) so i could install the slowdown patch on the war of the lions and finally play through it for the first time

i've played the ps1 version countless times, but i only ever really put a couple hours into wotl

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
I've been catching up on the last two years of episodes after previously dipping in and out during that time, and I just listened to the Dragon Quest XI episode, which I really enjoyed. The very first Retronauts I listened to was the DQ9 episode in 2009 (?), and the show was really my gateway into podcasts and any considered thought on video games, as well as something of a tastemaker, and I've been enjoying getting back into the show. I already really liked Bob and Jeremy (and Ray when he can be on), and I've also been enjoying Henry quite a bit since I started going through the backlog. You guys all do great work.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The Oracle/Mystic is literally "Yin Yang User" in Japanese, so "yin yang magic" isn't as stupid and meant to appeal to 90's capsule machine sticker patrons as it sounds. I still think they should have gone with Dualist or something if they didn't want to go for Taoist or Onmyoushi. Mystic and Mystic Arts are such forgettable, broad terms

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Stardew and FFT eps got me to install both on my phone and I'm playing more than I have in years, big thanks to all for being a positive every week

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, in an episode about the Tie Fighter games, games which I have barely played. You managed to talk about two of my favorite games from my childhood.

Super Star Wars and Rescue on Fractalus.

an Atari 800XL was my first game system. Rescue on Fractalus was so much fun. Rescuing pilots was so stressful. In the early levels, the pilots you rescued had colored helmuts that gave them away. White helmet: Regular pilot. Purple Helmet: Ace Pilot. Green helmet: Alien in disguise. In the later levels, those helmet hints stopped happening and you had to listen to the knock on the back door for them wanting to be let in. The aliens had a different knocking sound.

If you didn't take off and burn them in your exhaust the second you hear that sound:

1095098-fractalus_alic6ji1.gif

First video game to give me a jump scare.

Super Star Wars was the first Super Nintendo game I played. My uncle bought me a Super Nintendo with that game and Super Mario World for Christmas. He bet me I couldn't beat the first level on my first try. And I did. Then he said I couldn't beat the second level on my first try...and I did. Then I got stuck on the third level for weeks because I didn't realize you could jump on the sandcrawler's continuous tracks. A classmate had to tell me. My step dad woke me up in the middle of the night to show me he figured out if you stay at the beginning of the first stage and shoot 10 scorpions that come out of the first rock, you get a gun powerup. He was really excited.

Last edited:

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
man, i love fft so much. i instantly got the urge to play it whenever the music interludes came on
the episode inspired me to jailbreak my vita(turns out this is really, really, easy...) so i could install the slowdown patch on the war of the lions and finally play through it for the first time

i've played the ps1 version countless times, but i only ever really put a couple hours into wotl
i have an important update for you all
the cg cutscenes and voice acting in war of the lions are bad and i wish i could just get the old ones back w/ the sprites and text boxes

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
i have an important update for you all
the cg cutscenes and voice acting in war of the lions are bad and i wish i could just get the old ones back w/ the sprites and text boxes

Ah man, I am replaying this on my phone, and just thought that I didn't remember them on PSX, but they must have been there. And was just thinking yesterday how refreshing it is in the few cut scenes where they "cut back" to a quick chat on the grid before heading back out to the map. Now that I realize they're new, I wish they could be disabled.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Ah man, I am replaying this on my phone, and just thought that I didn't remember them on PSX, but they must have been there. And was just thinking yesterday how refreshing it is in the few cut scenes where they "cut back" to a quick chat on the grid before heading back out to the map. Now that I realize they're new, I wish they could be disabled.
yeah, since ive played the psx version so many times(and only that version), those scenes are burned into my memory and the entire time the CG version is playing out i'm just sitting there thinking about the original one haha
luckily they are few and far between, so its not a big deal. but i dont like them at all haha

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, since ive played the psx version so many times(and only that version), those scenes are burned into my memory and the entire time the CG version is playing out i'm just sitting there thinking about the original one haha
luckily they are few and far between, so its not a big deal. but i dont like them at all haha
What had me fooled was it's definitely a very PSX-era thing to do, inject a bunch of CG into an otherwise really polished presentation. Oh well, like you I will persevere!

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Retronauts will have 2 Panels at PAX West:

Super Metroid Vs. Symphony of the Night
  • Mon 09/02 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
  • Raven Theatre
It's the ultimate metroidvania showdown as we settle once and for all which was truly the greatest, the most ambitious, the most influential work of the genre: Nintendo's Super Metroid or Konami's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? Strong opinions will be expressed! Harsh words may be exchanged! Blood might even be spilled (only to be absorbed by a dhampir ensorcelled by Dark Metamorphosis)!

Panelists

Jeremy Parish [Senior Creative Director, Greenlit Content], Nadia Oxford [Editor, Gamer Network], Bob Mackey [Producer, Talking Simpsons Network], Mike Drucker [Writer, Full Frontal With Samantha Bee]

The Dreamcast 20th Anniversary Necromancy Jam
  • Mon 09/02 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
  • Raven Theatre

Two decades ago, Sega summoned into the world the mightiest of its consoles: The Dreamcast. And then, almost as quickly, it took the poor thing into the woods out back and ran it through proverbial the wood chipper. Dreamcast died too young, but its sudden demise wasn't the end. We pick up the story 20 years later, exploring the ways in which Dreamcast represented Sega's spirit at its finest and how its legacy persists even today.

Panelists

Jeremy Parish [Senior Creative Director, Greenlit Content], Morgan Shaver [Editor, Greenlit Content], Mike Drucker [Writer, Full Frontal With Samantha Bee]

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I'm a big fan and love the show....but man it feels like nobody on this Super Smash Bros episode actually has much interests in the games. I wish they would have just invited some outside folks and had Jeremy moderate maybe.
A lot of it so far has been speculation on things that are actually known.

I only have these criticisms because I love the show in general so much. Otherwise I wouldn't care enough to even post anywhere online.
I'm really looking forward to the PAX panels, and loved the Tactics episodes.

Forgive me, thread lurkers. :(

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear the dismissive tone of Retronauts Smash Bros podcasts has continued from the 1up days, lol

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Someone on the episode said he basically did nothing but play Melee for 6 months. That is definitely a sign of no interest in the series.

I am kind of regretting having spitballed those PAX topics, because now I have to figure out what they actually are going to be.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
x-wing episode was fun! I like Jeremy have a hard time with space combat games, so always recognized how good wing command and tie fighter were but I never got gud.

I do remember being a youngster and leafing through CGW letter pages and the low-speed flame wars between wing commander and x-wing fans and the endless debate about flying without shields.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendonauts doing a panel on Dreamcast?

I kid, I kid.

PS. Is it bad that I've never heard of Greenlit Content until now? I feel like I should've been made aware at some point but wasn't paying attention.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I loved the Nathan McCree episode. The TR Suite was only the third gaming Kickstarter I backed after Retronauts, and Ray's Boku no Natauyasumi issue of Scroll. The TR Suite took a while to finally come out, but it was worth the wait. It seemed like they had a lot of bad luck and logistical issues during production, based on the updates Nathan would send out regularly. It also seemed like they had to deal with a bunch of entitled pricks who went out of their way to be mean and difficult instead of showing a little bit of patience.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I can beat both X-Wing and TIE Fighter with mouse and keyboard and no cheats. I got really, really good at it when I was about 12 and didn't have the money for a flightstick.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did love having a friend be my co-pilot/AstroMech in X-Wing vs. TIE, where they handled the keyboard controls while I piloted.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Been listening to almost nothing but Retronauts on my commute. Absolutely love the show but this newest Smash Bros episode is really messy. I like how loose the episode is (it's a very funny episode!) but as a result, they make a lot of mistakes that they wouldn't make in episodes about more obscure games. Kind of disappointing because there is so much cool stuff to talk about regarding Smash Bros just from a retro gaming perspective but this episode kind of whiffed it. Hope we can get another episode at some point in the future because I love the subject personally and they make really good observations about the control scheme and how other n64 games potentially influenced it but some of the fact-checking stuff I'm just a little hung up on.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The Running Man was a family favorite movie around here when almost no one remembered or even heard of it. It is a very cool movie to talk about in the context of games, not quite on the level of Aliens (which is almost every game) but there's definitely a game director or two who saw it and went yes, this is it.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
They're totally right about Tie Fighter having aged well visually. Not only does the gourad shaded ingame 3D look better than the grainy low-res textures of XvT, but there's also excellent art in the pseudo-animated cutscenes.

JbJD8td.gif

latest

olwBUjd.gif

Even though it's been ages since I played it, it's probably still my all time favorite Star Wars game since there's so many unique things about it that haven't come close to being replicated in the other games. Felt closer to some kind of immersive sim from an Imperial perspective rather than just being another power fantasy action/adventure game.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Lindsey Buckingham is rolling over in his grave right now.

I know he's still alive. I don't have a favorite Fleetwood Mac member, just found that tangent humorious.