• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
92Gm7DK.jpg

1480726399715.jpg

Seriously though, if I'm just never going to find any friends here, just tell me straight up and I'll bail. Life's too short.

Oct 25, 2017
1480726399715.jpg

Seriously though, if I'm just never going to find any friends here, just tell me straight up and I'll bail. Life's too short.
I'm just joking around. It's a new thread, a new forum, and a new start. I can take it down if it bothers you that much, but I didn't intend it for you at all. I made it because of Bob's bizarre hatred of the Gorons. To be honest, since you have a new avatar, I didn't notice your posts until now. You've made good posts in this thread and shouldn't leave over a silly joke on my part.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just joking around. It's a new thread, a new forum, and a new start. I can take it down if it bothers you that much, but I didn't intend it for you at all. I made it because of Bob's bizarre hatred of the Gorons. To be honest, since you have a new avatar, I didn't notice your posts until now. You've made good posts in this thread and shouldn't leave over a silly joke on my part.

Thanks, I'm probably a bit oversensitive, feeling exposed, weird and individual. No changes needed, thanks for the kind words.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
As someone who was fighting the good fight on the Nintendo Nsider message boards at 13, I want to reassure Bob that he's doing the right thing by dragging these teenage dirtbag "Celda" hating punks. They were fucking miserable at the time and I hope they've found a light in their lives since.

Here was my entire "Celda" journey:

*sees new art style*
"Eh... those eyes look kinda weird."
*sees the game in motion for even just a second*
"Oh okay, that makes total sense and looks amazing."

Cyan

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, years later and Wind Waker's cel-shading holds up really well, like you get the sense it still looks more or less as intended.

Still don't like the chibi art style tho. :/

Lombaszko

Oct 25, 2017
This Wind Waker episode is really good so far! Much needed on my boring commute today. I loved hearing about Nintendo reusing ideas from previous games, and how it seems to be something that carries over from game to game. It reminds me of how a bands will do that with songs between albums.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
This Wind Waker episode is really good so far! Much needed on my boring commute today. I loved hearing about Nintendo reusing ideas from previous games, and how it seems to be something that carries over from game to game. It reminds me of how a bands will do that with songs between albums.

I agree with this. This is an excellent episode. Also really like hearing Matt Jay on a retronauts! It's really great hearing opinions from someone around my age regarding some of these more recent older games.

Also, I know Jeremy is now on the east coast, but it would be great for him to show up on a vidjagame apocalypse sometime. I would love to hear him talk about current games everyone in awhile :p

Last edited:

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'd be happy to sit in on a LaserTime show (assuming they'd actually want me to). The problem is that I only stick around in SF long enough for weekend Retronauts recordings, and I'm pretty sure they record their shows on weekdays.

Deleted member 12950

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've been meaning to say I think you guys have been on a roll lately. I fall behind and sometimes pick-and-choose depending on what I think will interest me but it's just been great episode after great episode recently.

I thought you had stretched yourselves a bit thin when Jeremy first went full-time but you definitely found your footing a long while ago.

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I do love the podcast and surrounding works but I have to say I find it a bit weird that they have an ad for the federalist podcast on recent episodes.

The federalist is a reactionary, racist blog run by pseudo franco-ist religious maniacs that just recently got rid of their "black crime" tag on their site.

As I say, I have no issues with ads on a podcast, but this one seems odd given the oft expressed (and much appreciated) progressive leanings of the hosts.

Anyway, dont want to fling mud or discredit the site at all, and i certainly wasn't offended or shocked but hearing noted plagiarist and racist goon Ben Domenechs voice come on mid episode just seemed kinda incongruous.

Anyway keep up the good work and have a happy war on Christmas!

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Most podcast networks insert ads on their podcasters' behalf, often via algorithm, so it's possible that nobody even hears the ads or notices any weirdness until the episodes are already published.

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I can't imagine the hosts would think it's a great idea to promote tendentious garbage by scrofulous bad faith thugs.

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
i get the impression the ads are autoinsterted without needing approval from bob/jeremy
I'm sure they are, although it's potentially good to point this kind of stuff out anyway since some ad networks allow some leeway in turning off some advertisers on your specific content. I don't know how it works at Podcast One but they do have a number of popular conservative podcasts so it doesn't surprise me that the Federalist is on the ad list, but I can't imagine it's a very effective ad to this particular audience anyway.

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
That's unfortunate, but I do like that there's a Federalist ad in a podcast about an ape cartoon. I'll try to make up for it by increasing how much I make fun of hateful conservatives on Twitter.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I just got around to the Wind Waker episode. I had no problems with cartoony at the time as I was shoulder deep in Pokemon merchandise, but with my group of friends limited technical knowledge, cartoony meant less graphics intensive and that played right into the running narrative from the N64 through the Gamecube's launch of Nintendo no longer being able to compete with Sony. The disc were smaller, the controller had less buttons, and now the series that you held up to defend your $300 purchase (which you don't get many chances to make as a kid) against the Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and Tomb Raiders of the world looked like a Saturday morning cartoon. While Gamecube did get technical master pieces like Metroid Prime and a few 3rd party catches like Resident Evil 4 (for a time), that prophecy sort of came true. Of course these days I understand why Wind Waker was a technical marvel in it's own way, but as the Gamecube limped along and the biggest 3rd party games mainly went to or played best on PS2, it was easy to look back and be glad I didn't waste a Christmas on that thing. We eventually got one when they hit $99 and I thought Wind Waker looked beautiful, but I was very disappointed in it for other reasons. The same thing happened with Sunshine. I don't have very positive memories of either of them.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The Wind Waker sucks and I was cheering as Kat called out all the poo that is embedded in its sack.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I think it came out too late (12/9/08) for most American sites to cover it for game of the year, but Persona 4 was definitely one of the most notable games to be released in 2008.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I just started listening to this a few days ago. I listened to the original podcast on 1up back in the day and I knew the show came back years ago, but never checked it out for some reason. I'm really enjoying it. Jeremy and his guests have a true love and knowledge of games. I'm definitely going to subscribe. Listening to the a few episodes will my business drive tolerable this week.

daydream

Oct 25, 2017
my bad if this has been covered before but i've noticed that older episodes don't overwrite themselves when i download them again, so after manually checking i noticed that the file name and even the runtime actually differ from the version of the same episode downloaded a couple weeks before. i assume there's a simple explanation for this, i'd be curious to hear it. keep up the rad work!

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
Just fulfilled my first New Year's resolution and signed up to Patreon to become a Retronauts backer! Have been enjoying the show immensely the last few months. The Wind Waker episode was especially interesting, because I had stopped gaming for a while around the time that it came out. Only got around to playing it years later and wondered why it had a bad reputation, because I fell immediately in love with the cell-shading cartoon look. Expectations often make all the difference.

Dimmle

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to chime in to say that the intro and outro of the "Kongo Bongo Festival of Lights" episode constitute a work of true art and I'm looking forward to the one man show whenever Bob retires to Vegas in podcast disgrace.

bobservo

Oct 28, 2017
Good Time Island
Just wanted to chime in to say that the intro and outro of the "Kongo Bongo Festival of Lights" episode constitute a work of true art and I'm looking forward to the one man show whenever Bob retires to Vegas in podcast disgrace.

Thanks! I mainly do those little sketches to amuse myself, so it's always nice to hear that other people enjoy them. The only problem is I try to top myself by going for weirder, more high-concept ideas every year, so now I've gotta figure out how I'm going to top myself in eleven months.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Was unwinding after work tonight and listened to Episode 84: Wii, and man that was a great episode. Brett Elston has such great chemistry with Jeremy and Bob to where he felt like an old 1up guy (Mikel was really great too!).

Also, the Jeff Green and Ray Barnholt decades episode was phenomenal too. God I love this show.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Did you guys have a lot of people jump out of the Patreon pool with the shit that they tried to pull?

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Not that we can tell — seems we were lucky. Our funding on both the podcast and video campaigns has gone up a decent amount since that went down.

Deleted member 30913

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
my bad if this has been covered before but i've noticed that older episodes don't overwrite themselves when i download them again, so after manually checking i noticed that the file name and even the runtime actually differ from the version of the same episode downloaded a couple weeks before. i assume there's a simple explanation for this, i'd be curious to hear it. keep up the rad work!

I think it's due to the way PodcastOne splices in news and ads. The audio files are made on the fly as you hit download. So different ads and news are put in depending on when you download the show and your geographic location.

Because the ads and news are different the duration changes. I assume a similar reason is there for file name changes.

I think that's all correct!