• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
We're also going to do a mini-panel on Heiankyo Alien at MGC. That's right, baby.

maybe a live-listen to the cassette?
http://www.video-game-ephemera.com/035.htm
035_d28.jpg

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I played Final Fantasy on NES at a cousin's house, but at the time it didn't leave much impression on me. I'd started to gain interest in RPGs with Shining Force but it was a friend that really latched on to FF7. He'd show me magazine articles on it and ponder out loud what a 3d RPG would be like. He bought a PS1 for it and one day brought the whole apparatus to my house for the weekend to play it with me. The part of the game we played was from Cosmo Canyon to getting the Tiny Bronco. I was really impressed with the background graphics and spell animations. There was a level of flair to the animations that I'd never seen before; even if it made the battles drag on we would summon Titan and Shiva again and again just to see them.

The next week he called me on the phone to tell me Aeris died. I spent a few weekends at his house as well, as he tried to find a way to kill Emerald Weapon. Once he'd finished with the game I borrowed his PS1 and the game and played it myself. I eventually bought my own PS1 and most of my chore money for the next 6 years went into JRPGs.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Strung along for a decade, and when we finally get the thing it's only part of it and we still have to wait for the second piece of an episodic series. This FFVII episode's ethos is so on point

Great to hear everyone talk about the game in a different mindset from the 2008 episode, and I think a multi-parter was the right choice. I like to imagine that Ray was again in the recording room right before they started and just peaced out again because he's still sick of talking about FFVII a decade later.

Last edited:

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy & crew, you guys happen to be setting up shop for PAX East for the whole weekend, or just the Friday panel? Unfortunately I'm only going to be there Thurs/Sat, but would be down to come watch anything else going on those two days.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I listened to the GI Joe episode today. I learned a lot about the comics and Larry Hama that I didn't know back in the day. I'd like to track the comics down and read them at some point now. I was mostly into the toys and cartoon. I impulse bought a Firefly off ebay a couple years ago. He's still kicking it by my consoles. I asked for the USS Flagg for like 5 straight Christmases, but like most everyone else I never got it, lol. My older brother still has all his figures in separate zip lock bags with their weapons in a trunk somewhere in his house.

Video game wise though, no talk of Attack on Cobra Island? I'm pretty new to the podcast so maybe you only talk about officially licensed games.

Edit, also who does the file icon art? Loved the GI Joe one and now the Double Dragon one too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I like how in the first FFVII episode Kat said the story was confusing, and Jeremy came back with "No, that's just because of the localization. Sorry!", and now in part 2 everyone's stumbling over what's going on in the ending because they're so confused by it. Let's give it a go:

Hojo injected victims left over after the Nibelheim massacre with jenova cells. This was after sephiroth disappeared into the lifestream, so he was trying to make another sephiroth. Two of those people were Cloud and Zack; cloud was a soldier and zack was a SOLDIER. The twelve others are the proto Organization XIII dorks in the black cloaks stumbling around. Jenova's disparate parts are like a hivemind or cells within the same body that want to reunite and become one being again. So when sephiroth is up in the northern crater being supercharged by the lifestream he can exert power over those people who were injected with jenova cells (sephiroth "clones") and jenova's remains in the lab because he has jenova cells in his beautiful bishounen bod.
Three parts of Jenova's remains turned into the sephiroth-like forms that the party encounters over the course of the story. Presumably it transformed into him because he's the one controlling it remotely, and it's a powerful shapeshifty alien, rather than just a person who got injected with alien gunk. Sephiroth is using them to attack the party from afar, kill aerith, etc. Those are the jenova birth, life, and death entities. The sephiroths turn into jenova monsters because they've always been shapeshifted jenova remains being puppeted, so they do a The Thing style monster transformation when you fight them. The jenova remains, and all the test subjects, are under the influence of sephiroth and are traveling to the north crater to reunite. They also want to get the black materia on their way so that sephiroth can summon meteor. Sephiroth wants to summon meteor to damage the planet, cause the lifestream to all surge to where he is to heal the damage, and then absorb all of that power. You fight the full(ish?) jenova at the end because most of the disparate pieces have reunited.
Because Cloud was injected with jenova cells as well, sephiroth is able to exert some control over him like he does with the other "clones". That's why cloud has hallucinations and loss of control. He and Zack have their road trip before the events of the game because they were put into cold storage by hojo after their injections with jenova cells didn't make them into sephiroths. Zack woke up and broke them both out, but he gets killed by Shinra people while on the way to midgar to start a new life as a mercenary with cloud. Cloud's basically a vegetable, but Zack tells him all about himself and his plans for the future, so when Cloud regains consciousness he (subconsciously?) takes on Zack's life and personality as his own. Then he goes and becomes a mercenary in midgar and that leads into the beginning of the game.

Now that I wrote all this out, I'm realizing that Cait Sith being a robot puppeted from afar for the whole game was probably supposed to be a thematic connection to sephiroth puppeting people from afar, but it wasn't conveyed well, so it's mostly just a confusing story with a bizarre joke character in the party. They shouldn't have used the word "clone". Though in japanese they use "copy", which isn't any better. Maybe they should have gone full evangelion and called all the people injected with jenova cells "Jenova's Children" or "Children of Calamity" or something. Hopefully the remake will be more clear, but it could easily be equally confusing, or confusing in new ways. Also, it's never coming out.

Last edited:

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I listened to the GI Joe episode today. I learned a lot about the comics and Larry Hama that I didn't know back in the day. I'd like to track the comics down and read them at some point now. I was mostly into the toys and cartoon. I impulse bought a Firefly off ebay a couple years ago. He's still kicking it by my consoles. I asked for the USS Flagg for like 5 straight Christmases, but like most everyone else I never got it, lol. My older brother still has all his figures in separate zip lock bags with their weapons in a trunk somewhere in his house.

Video game wise though, no talk of Attack on Cobra Island? I'm pretty new to the podcast so maybe you only talk about officially licensed games.

Edit, also who does the file icon art? Loved the GI Joe one and now the Double Dragon one too.
Amazon has the Hama GI joe comics in hardback collections, I got the first collection this past christmas. I'm trying to remember when the story falls off a cliff, probably after the fall of Cobra Island. By then interest in the toy line and cartoon were waning.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
So apparently the Mobius Final Fantasy mobile game has cards of a bunch of different monsters and summons from FFVII. A lot of the cards in it just reuse old promotional art and renders, but the FFVII ones have really detailed art of monsters that as far as I know were only ever portrayed with their in-game models. This includes the infamous Hell House
Card_2609_EN_Hell_House_FFVII_3.png

And all four Jenova bosses
Card_2620_EN_Jenova_DEATH_FFVII_4.png

All the cards are here, and the ones with FFVII in the name have the new artwork.
https://mobius.gamepedia.com/Category:Ability_cards

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I used the Hell House card as the basis for the cover art of the first FFVII episode.

BTW, before anyone dives into those hardcover GI Joe collections, the 9th volume has been delayed/MIA for more than two years. Doesn't seem like they'll ever complete the set.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Amazon has the Hama GI joe comics in hardback collections, I got the first collection this past christmas. I'm trying to remember when the story falls off a cliff, probably after the fall of Cobra Island. By then interest in the toy line and cartoon were waning.
Cool, thanks!
BTW, before anyone dives into those hardcover GI Joe collections, the 9th volume has been delayed/MIA for more than two years. Doesn't seem like they'll ever complete the set.
Bah!

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure I've seen hype and marketing for a game that exceeded what was there for FF7.

I mean I remember getting on a bus, where the entire bus was wrapped in a giant cloud FF7 advertisement, and every ad panel on the inside was FF7. That's just nuts.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'm still not sure I've seen hype and marketing for a game that exceeded what was there for FF7.

I mean I remember getting on a bus, where the entire bus was wrapped in a giant cloud FF7 advertisement, and every ad panel on the inside was FF7. That's just nuts.

A lot of FF7's marketing was pretty ground breaking for the time. I don't think we had cross-promotion stuff with soft drink companies up to that point, although I remember Nintendo had a thing with Nabisco to do a SMB3 giveaway via Oreos. But nowadays it's pretty common to see cross-promotion for things like Halo, Call of Duty, Overwatch..

I also remember moving out to Boston area and seeing advertisements on billboards for Left 4 Dead and Spore not long after. Which, as someone who grew up in a rural area was pretty cool. Some of the busses got a promotional wrap when Portal 2 was imminent. I don't think EA's spent that much advertising money in the area since then :(

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I was just listening to the Castlevania trilogy episode (pocket 25), and Bob mentions that the Director of Castlevania was Hitoshi Akamatsu. I thought that sounded familiar, and then I remembered that the password to start on the second quest in Castlevania III is AKAMA.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The developer interviews you've been doing are great. I'm surprised with the new one with Becky Heineman that you didn't ask more about the bard's tale so we can start compiling a retronauts oral history on the game, esp. with y'all's focus (esp. on the east side) of older computer games, esp. Apple's.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've asked literally all the questions I can formulate for TBT. The CRPG focus of the past year has been a total coincidence—tons of CRPG devs were at GDC last year, and Brian Fargo wanted to hype up Wasteland 2.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the 20th anniversary of the Gameboy Retronauts podcast was the one where you talked about every handheld system not made by Nintendo.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
burger betty episode was great. Really good tech stuff that I feel like a retro enthusiast could understand. Loved the code names being the default slip of the tongue, also the game boy was the 'z80"
I'm def more on the side of game design, but the tech is so important.....

and Betty liked Sierra Games! Is that a first for retronauts? I mean Wizard and the Princess is like episode 0 of King's Quest!
Also Tass Times in Tone Town might be the only new wave game in existence?

What was this 4am cracking thing though?
-
also american airlines is awful

Oct 28, 2017
Can we make episode suggestions in this thread?

If so, I've wanted nothing more than for Retronauts to cover the Buffy the Vampire Slayer games since the 1UP days.

Best podcast ever tbh. Only video game related pod I listen to at this point. JeremyParish thank you so much dude for creating Retronauts. I'd buy you all the Frank + Oak threads if I could afford them.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
If so, I've wanted nothing more than for Retronauts to cover the Buffy the Vampire Slayer games since the 1UP days.

Best podcast ever tbh. Only video game related pod I listen to at this point. JeremyParish thank you so much dude for creating Retronauts. I'd buy you all the Frank + Oak threads if I could afford them.
I actually wanted an episode centered around the Touhou games...but then wondered who would be their guest speakers would be...

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
listening to the namco ep, i missed the game with the sexy fairy? What was that? Like the zelda fairy?

as for oblique and isometric, I did some research and a lot of games we think of as isometric are actually "Diametric" though my feeble math-brain would be hard pressed to tell you the difference.
1. Isometric Projection
We position the object in such a way that, all side are equally distant from the axes and axes have a command angle of 120º between each.

2. Diametric Projection
Like Isometric, but only the axes of object is only equidistant from two standard axes, and there is a 120º angle between those axes

3. Trimetric Projection
Well, the simple explanation would be all axes will be unequally spaced, and depending upon the angle of viewing, the angle between the object's axes are determined. An image of all the three together will help you better understand trimetric projection.

Oblique Projection
It is the next sub-type of parallel projection. Here the governing concept is that the rays are not perpendicular to the plane on which we do projection. It is normally used for pictorial representation than for formal purposes.

Cavalier & Cabinet Projections

Cavalier projection or Cabinet projection is probably one you have seen in your schools when the teacher tries to explain 3d geometry. Well in both the cases, there are two axes that will be mutually perpendicular to each other, as shown in the figure. And they will be drawn at a 1:1 scale.

The difference between these to projections are the angle they make with the projection plane. It is 45º with projection plane for Cavalier projection. While cabinet projection makes 63.4º.

vider

Oct 27, 2017
Slovenia
Not trying to derail the thread here or anything, but has anyone found the old Bonus Stage videos? Because I had them all on an external hard drive and today I found that the drive doesn't work anymore. So I'm a bit heartbroken and would love, love, love to have those Bonus Stages again.

Oct 28, 2017
What ever did come of that Retronauts DVD? I pledged $80 back in 2013, and could've sworn I was eventually sent some exclusive YT footage instead. Been on such a Retronauts kick lately, and would love to watch, but can't find the YT vid in my Gmail for the life of me.

Last edited:

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Current status of the DVDs is: I need to figure out how to import .csv files into Stamps.com to generate mailing labels. It's a bigger pain in the butt than expected.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
damn reading jeremy's top 30 gameboy games on polygon, how'd i never know about cave noire? wow.

Really want a read on Great Greed! Little surprised For Whom the Frog Bell Tolls didn't make the cut, but guess I'll drop 3$ on avenging spirit.
Also - yeah mercenary force rules, the weird sacrifice abilities seem vaguely modern and the tanuki easter egg is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRm7M1Xhty4

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Catching up: Started listening to Nausicaa when I was sick, immediately stopped listening when I heard there was a giant size hardcover release (40 bucks on Amazon) and bought it immediately, read it all last Sunday, listened to the episode this week and immediately bought the Blu-Ray as well (also in Theaters this summer so got tickets for that)

Another game clearly cribbing from Nausicaa is Xenoblade Chronicles 2, though its what if the manga had a happy ending.

It was funny as hell to have two Gameboy anniversary episodes where Heiankio Alien was not mentioned only for an entire panel talking about it. Glorious. The Gameboy is easily the most interesting platform for gaming ever released, no small feat with such competition as MS-DOS PCs, NES, Playstation 1/2. A Z80 based machine released in the late 80's that lasted more or less two entire console generations despite running out of steam right about when every other system did. The re-releases that occured after the RPG/Pokémon boom never ceased to amaze me and I bought the Sunsoft releases of FF Legend just because they were so novel. Sunsoft, re-releasing games labeled as Final Fantasy, at the height of the RPG boom created by Final Fantasy. I was in high school when Pokémon came out and instead of hiding my obsession away I started bringing in brick Game Boys to class and playing 2 player Tetris and Dr. Mario at lunch with almost my entire English class. I also started buying kids entire Game Boy collections for dollars here and there and ended up getting the entire Play it Loud line plus many duplicates from people looking for a little loose change. I even got some rather rare titles complete in box this way. I probably had about 50 copies of tetris by the time I was done with this. I had 4 copies of Wave Race so I could play that game fully linked.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Rental shop episode is going to be a total nostalgia trip.

Oh man, I miss my local Microplay rental shop.

Back in the mid 90's they had everything. You could rent a Virtual Boy, a Pico, a 32X. If you really, really wanted to play Highlander: The Last of the MacLeods You could rent an Atari Jaguar and Jaguar CD just to play it.

I remember the day they got a Japanese PSone in and had Ridge Racer playing on the demo TV in the store. My mind could not process what I was seeing. Renting a Japanese PS1 and N64 3-6 months before launch was amazing. The store owners were so great. They let 13 year old me rent systems with no credit card on the account. Who would do that now?

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed the Stardew episode from yesterday! Got me to start playing again and continue my save on Switch. Such a great game and I liked how much everyone on the podcast was into it

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I only got at most 3 games a year in the NES and SNES era so I did a ton of renting in the early 90's.

My local store was the best. Rent on Saturday, keep until Monday. 2 dollars for old games/movies, 3 for new releases. They moved four times until finally ending up in the back of a hardware store and they got out right as Blockbuster started encroaching in. The moves were the best part though as they'd let you rent anything for a day for ten cents. Great selection of video games but unfortunately unlike Bob everyone in my suburb was renting the best RPGS of the SNES. Also during the SNES years in particular I was buying PC games/getting them for Christmas so I only ever owned three SNES games, Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars which came with it, Harvest Moon which I bought after renting it, so I spent the early 2000's buying up all the RPGs off of ebay and some of them cost me a fortune. Those same PC games were either dirt cheap to pick up, still worked fine, or had windows 98 specific programming which made them a pain in the ass to run elsewhere.

Some tales from that era:

Another small chain store in my area rented PC games until the law changed! That was a trip and a half.

The good video game store near me would rent out the guide for another dollar and sometimes just threw it in for free.

That same store also called me up once when I was maybe ten or so and asked if I had switched the rom for the SNES copy of Starfleet Academy with the rom for the TNG game instead. Nope. Wasn't me. Records were spottier then.

I didn't rent much during the N64/PS1 era, mainly buying the good multiplayer N64 games and the big ticket RPGs on the PS1, but then the summers of 1999/2000 happened and Electronic Boutique ran a deal where you could trade in 2-4 eligible games on the list for a paid in full preorder of, oh, let's say the summer of Square games and FF IX...and my local video rental store had games on said list, for 2-4 dollars each. I didn't pay more than 12 dollars for any PS1 game those years. I also got a similar deal for Pokémon Gold but by then had more than enough multiple copies of GB games.

I also ended up with copies of Tactics Ogre and Dragon Ball GT Final Bout for less than ten dollars.

The rarest of rare occasions was a Saturday holiday, rent on Friday, keep it until Monday. That's when I finally got the Hammer from Death Mountain in Zelda II, July 3rd 1992 was the Friday.

A hurricane was supposed to be bearing down on my coastal town (it missed us but gave some pretty heavy rain) and my mom rented me a ton of GB games, which were never a big mover at the store but they had a decent collection and it was completely by her own initiative. I remember playing Battletoads and a couple of other things and it was a really sweet memory.

The first two games I ever beat were rentals. Mega Man 2 from the grocery store, Guerrilla War from the video rental store. I was so proud to beat MM2.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this weeks episode on hardware design. Can't wait until we find out what special type of plastic Pikachu was on those hideous N64's!

Also, I have the answer to a question that was asked on the podcast:

yXrv684.jpg

They are interchangeable between all 3 models(B&W, Color, Crystal) as well which is why this pic was possible.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since he was a Retronauts guest, I'll ask here in lieu of a better place: whatever happened to the Chrontendo and Chronsega videos?

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Since he was a Retronauts guest, I'll ask here in lieu of a better place: whatever happened to the Chrontendo and Chronsega videos?

Man, seconded, what happened to the good doctor? He was on a good roll for a while. But the videos just fell off a few years ago and there hasn't been anything since then.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
This weeks Patreon advance episode:

D65andf.jpg

This meme is over 10 years old so it qualifies as retro too!

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Really enjoyed this weeks episode on hardware design. Can't wait until we find out what special type of plastic Pikachu was on those hideous N64's!

Also, I have the answer to a question that was asked on the podcast:

yXrv684.jpg

They are interchangeable between all 3 models(B&W, Color, Crystal) as well which is why this pic was possible.
Nice, good to know! I picked up a WSC just recently (hat tip/shake of the fist to Kelsey Lewin's panel on Gunpei at magfest :P ) and was really impressed at how paranoid-ly secure the battery compartment is. Makes sense, considering how crucial that part is.

burger betty episode was great. Really good tech stuff that I feel like a retro enthusiast could understand. Loved the code names being the default slip of the tongue, also the game boy was the 'z80"
I'm def more on the side of game design, but the tech is so important.....

and Betty liked Sierra Games!
This is from a bit ago, but: Becky, not Betty. Agreed it was a good episode :)

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RE: browning Famicoms... My Famicom is pretty white actually.

Like other systems that can brown, like SNES and Gamecube controller ports (yup), some of them actually still look good until this day. It's probably due to it being from the right batch or the right era where they got the mixture right. My white Famicom has a FF "Famicom Family" logo, so it must be from the very late Famicom era of the 90s (but before the AV Famicom).

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, good to know! I picked up a WSC just recently (hat tip/shake of the fist to Kelsey Lewin's panel on Gunpei at magfest :P ) and was really impressed at how paranoid-ly secure the battery compartment is. Makes sense, considering how crucial that part is.

Yeah, I hadn't used my Wonderswan(s) in quite a while and when I tried to take this pic It took me a while to get the battery cover off since I didn't remember how.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Alien was great, i saw it as a snot nosed 13 year old on USA and didn't like it at all after seeing ALIENS, but when i saw it as astute at 17 year old I loved it.

My friend got to show his wife it when she was ~30 and also didn't know about the android stuff and he told me when the white blood came out, she turned to him and just said "what the fuck is going on?" hahaha

But yeah, Space Balls did kind of ruin the good bit, thoiugh i guess it was glommed from Humanoids from the Deep, but now looking at it, maybe the other way around?

also I didnt see the godfather until i was 28 and dear chrust I had seen every scene of that parodied or homaged beforehand

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the Sonic Mania episode, hearing Jeremy saying that we are going to the listeners input section I got automatically disappointed it wasn't a call in section for Sonic Mania.

Also loved the Alien episode, hoping an episode on Aliens happens soon as the impact that has had on gaming is amazing and barring a few duds has a reasonably solid selection of games, I played soo much of the old FPS Aliens game on the C64 back in the day

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Those call In episodes certainly were something.

"I always forced my brother to play as Tails"

*A few Minutes later*

"My brother always forced me to play as Tails"

"I think you brother just called"