• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to pop in and share that, during a really rough time recently whereupon I was driving multiple hours back and forth from my mom's mountain house to the hospital where emergency surgery saved her life, Retronauts really came through for me, as I caught up on some backlog on my multiple hours of driving.

Remakes and reboots, the Dylan Cuthbert interview, Playstation 2, G. I. Joe, The Music of Playstation 1 (Shane!), The Bard's Tale. All great episodes giving me much needed distraction and nostalgia at a crucial time. I laughed how, as familiar as I was with the sampled music, I remembered how I never actually succeeded in getting anywhere with the super-hard Bard's Tale games, and instead experienced their stories by reading through their expansive hint books, which were quite unusually written as third persona narratives through the game itself. I still got 'em, in a box. I'm inspired to dig 'em out and read through the games again. I'm looking forward to the Brian Fargo interview, when I have some time as well.

I've had my criticisms at times but always kept coming back, and the content lately has just been really, really good. My mom is healing and dong well, and we are very lucky for that. Thanks for the persistence and the good work.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
RE: the Princess Tomato episode. Bob said: "Maybe you have 500 Wii shop points sitting on your account" ... actually, yes, I do. That is the exact amount I have left to spend and I've been trying to figure out what to use it on. I was already considering Princess Tomato and then this episode pops up just days before the shop closes forever....

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
img-31.jpg

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Yay, a DQ11 episode. I hope they talk about the 3DS version, as that's an interesting curio.

Incidentally, it'd be nice to have Tim Rogers on one of these DQ episodes to recapture some of the magic from that Roleplayers Realm DQ special from way back when. That was a good time.

Edit: Listened to the episode yesterday. Enjoyable discussion all in all. DQ11 is a great celebration game, I loved all the callbacks and little references to the other entries in the series. The way that characters and NPCs recalled other people or situations from older games was cool, and often, moving.

One aspect of DQ11 that might pass a lot of folks by is that the PS4 is essentially an offline DQ10. The development studio, Orca, assisted in 10's development and many of the systems and gimmicks in 11 are lifted straight from DQ10.

There was even an ad campaign released shortly after the dust had settled on 11 that showed people bored and sad in their daily lives. The slogan boiled down to 'You miss DQ11, play DQ10!'

Anyhow, great episode, and I look forward to a deep dive into another DQ game soon.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Erik's accent is supposed to be somewhat Scandinavian since he spent time with the Vikings.

https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/7...-interview-11-questions-about-dragon-quest-xi

Because there's so many different areas and regions within the game, each one has been given a very strong regional feel to it. Specifically, in the case of Camus to Erik, it's because we wanted him to seem Scandinavian. To Japanese people, the name Camus comes across as Scandinavian but that's obviously not going to work for English speakers so we decided on Erik. It wasn't just off the cuff. We wanted it to seem like his name matched the region he was from."

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Who could forget the most important day in gaming history, 9/9/99? The landmark day in gaming featuring the release of the hottest new product in gaming history, Final Fantasy VIII.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I love the year in review episodes, just wanted to remind everyone of the key date in gaming history.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, sure, it's just that my shameful confession here was that I bought a Dreamcast on launch day and then spent the next two weeks engrossed in FFVIII.
I didn't have money for either at the time so I bummed FFVIII a disc at a time off of my friend. All my friends and myself ended up getting the DC as the price plummeted after the launch of the PS2 and while it was extremely hard to find. A lot of high school tax refunds bought DC bundles instead of impossible to find PS2s that spring.

Just hearing mention of Chrono Cross had me contemplating a run of it this summer. CC had always invoked thoughts of tropical weather and long days.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Just started listening to the DQXI episode, and I just had to say that Henry's Japanese pronunciations bring me joy. I will keep them.

Oct 25, 2017
There's never been an episode on Chrono Cross, right? If I remember correctly it just usually gets a brief mention in either Chrono Trigger talk, or that really old Radical Dreamers episode.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still heartbroken that for all the special exceptions for modern games, we didn't get an Octopath Traveler episode. :(

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
The Dragon Quest XI episode once again reminded me that I need to get it at some point. Target is having a buy 2, get one free sale starting Sunday so maybe then. I have the free DQ XI PS4 theme as my current theme and I have the avatar pack. Sylvand is my avatar.

It's a shame the music sucks outside a small handful of tracks. I never knew that that the whole puff puff gag was from Dragon Ball so I googled it and...yup, it's something. I appreciated the spoiler-free discussion. I'll make sure to remember Henry and Bob's tip about swapping out pepped up characters.

I've been playing DQ: Builders and it really does feel different from other spin-off games (DQ Heroes II is on my deck as well). I've been quite surprised by it. I also need to finish DQ VII on 3DS to move on to DQ VIII. I've had DQVIII sealed for over 2 years.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the recent news about the content in Catherine: Full Body, it was kind of hard listening to all the praise for Atlus in the First Encounters episode. I realize current actions don't necessarily invalidate previous accomplishments (and damned if I don't love the EO series), but they somehow managed to take all their previously questionable treatment of LGBTQ material and turn the shithead factor up to 11. :(

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just now listening to the FFVII episode. I hate to be capt nerd, but I hate it when people get release dates wrong. Unless Chris Kohler is talking about the import, SOTN came out in October 1997 in NA, a month AFTER FFVII. It and Wild Arms (Which I think came out in May or June of 97) were $50.00. I don't think PS1 games retailed for$40 new until 1999/2000

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm drunk debating why FFVII was so important to the West with my friend and I want all my retronauts peeps to know it.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The FFVII episode pretty much lived up to my expectations. Sometimes its hard to listen about a subject you are so familiar with that you only remember what they miss or didn't give enough time to, so often the episodes I enjoy most are the ones I know least about.

Oct 25, 2017
Pop quiz, hotshots:

What nerdy news broke right before the original Retronauts episode of Final Fantasy VII was recorded?

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been awhile since I heard old FFVII retronauts episodes, but I can tell the new one was more positive on it than the old ones. I think (Jeremy?) was right that we've entered the post-backlash era over the last decade. More people have come back to being positive on it now. I know I have.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that's interested there's two Retronauts live shows over the next month.

First, Jeremy and some of the Retronauts East crew will be at PAX East in Boston.

Date: Fri, March 29th @ 4pm
Subject: Gaming's Holly-worst Moments

Video games and Hollywood have been joined at the hip since the '70s, but that long-lasting relationship has resulted in some dreadful children. We'll explore the worst of them through the years in this retrospective panel, from wildly inappropriate licensed games like the kid-oriented NES tie-in to Oliver Stone's grim war movie Platoon to Hollywood's dismal, decades-long track record of game-to-film adaptations.

Friday tickets for PAX East are sold out right now, but there's a chance some last minute tickets release. follow https://twitter.com/pax_badges on twitter, they will likely tweet if any get released.

Second, Bob and Jeremy will be at Midwest Gaming Classic Midwesternauts-ing it up.

MGC dates: April 12-14
Panel Date: TBD
Panel Location: TBD
Subject: 30th anniversary of the Gameboy

https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/home/