• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the CT episode. I wish it was even longer. CT was the first turn-based RPG I ever played all the way through. I only played action adventure/RPGs, like Zelda and Mana, before CT. CT felt like a good halfway point between the 2 styles and the perfect introduction to the genre.

I wanted to know if you guys have played DQ11. DQ11 reminds me a lot of CT.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm way behind on episodes, only up to the Dylan Cuthbert episode, just hearing that Nintendo was thinking about trying to get the SFX chip actually into the system and not just for in carts makes me wonder how things would have been different if it had of happened. Even though the Super FX games aren't the prettiest of things around and SNES has some of the best looking sprite based games, just would have been interesting to see more early 3D games popping up on the SNES.
It also would have benefited 2D games, considering the sprite effects that Yoshi's Island got out of it.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Realistically, I think internal 3D support in the SNES hardware would have resulted in a lot of ugly, clumsy 3D games and fewer attempts to push the bounds of sprite art. I'm kinda glad it didn't happen, even if it's a cool what-if.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Off work for a few days and soaking up several episodes at once! Loved the format of the CT ep. Really enjoyed hearing from Dylan Cuthbert. Just finished the Voices of MARIO, too. Some of strongest yet content from this podcast!

Question - where do I find those cheesy SMB rap songs like the one at the end of the Voices of Mario ep? I've heard these before on Retronauts, too, and it sounds like there's a whole collection of those songs...

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I loved the Chrono Trigger episode but I wish they had brought on a more knowledgeable guest than the one with the high-pitched voice. Someone passionate about the game like Sam Claiborn from IGN would have been a perfect guest for the episode.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Not a dig at all! I don't know the person's name but they didn't seem super knowledgeable or passionate about the game. I've heard the same person on other episodes be really fun and insightful.

EDIT: Just looked it up, it's Kat Bailey.
Hm, maybe just from the tone people sometimes take when discussing often-praised games like Chrono Trigger. I didn't notice her being particularly dispassionate in this episode, but sometimes the Retronauts do yadda yadda over stuff that they think the audience already knows.

Somewhat related: I will say, I dislike the "If you don't know this video game fact, why are you even listening to our podcast?" comments, even in jest. People listen to be informed about things they don't know as much as they listen to hear people repeat things they already know. It feels like a holdover phrase from a more gatekeep-y time in video games.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'm way way behind (Nintendo Merch episode from S3) but generally Kat is pretty quiet on most episodes she's been on that I have listened to so far. I wouldnt call it "dispassionate" but more she doesn't seem to get much of a chance to contribute much to the conversations.

I believe in this case Kat was brought on because she's recently played it for the first time? That's a pretty important perspective to have on a show as opposed to yet another rah rah this game is great person who played it at launch.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if a dedicated GI Joe podcast from Jeremy is necessary.

Going through each issue and/or episode and chatting about it would be pretty fun.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely support a Gi Joe podcast on Patreon.

You should do a video where you and co hosts play a game with figures.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing them give the thumbs up to the FFVII remake being an action rpg made me a little sad.

It's not that I'm inherently against them changing the game (though I do want more AAA turn-based rpgs, and I hate this propaganda that they aren't good enough for those kinds of budgets), it's more that I know it will be a middling, forgettable action rpg system. In no small part due to the fact that Nomura will fiddle around with it for 5 years and then pass it off to someone else to put something coherent together in a year and a half. This remake is a nostalgia grab, just lean in to the nostalgia. Do an updated turn based system, rebalance things, make it flashy. Look up to Atlus senpai, Square.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's interesting though maybe not incredibly surprising that the beat-em-up genre was spearheaded by one guy at Technos who decided one day he was just gonna get into big street fights as a hobby

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
You could honestly do ten episodes on Dragon Ball games. They are a fascinating piece of video game history and there's actually more good than bad in the entire catalog as unbelievable as it may seem considering the early years has most of the crap in there. Atari getting a ten year license on the games lead to some real interesting stuff.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hearing them give the thumbs up to the FFVII remake being an action rpg made me a little sad.

It's not that I'm inherently against them changing the game (though I do want more AAA turn-based rpgs, and I hate this propaganda that they aren't good enough for those kinds of budgets), it's more that I know it will be a middling, forgettable action rpg system. In no small part due to the fact that Nomura will fiddle around with it for 5 years and then pass it off to someone else to put something coherent together in a year and a half. This remake is a nostalgia grab, just lean in to the nostalgia. Do an updated turn based system, rebalance things, make it flashy. Look up to Atlus senpai, Square.
I mean, I think the context is important. They gave it the thumbs up on the basis that it's a "remake", not a remaster, and that Square knows that to get big sell they need to modernize and make it accessible. A turn based game wouldn't be that.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
You could honestly do ten episodes on Dragon Ball games. They are a fascinating piece of video game history and there's actually more good than bad in the entire catalog as unbelievable as it may seem considering the early years has most of the crap in there. Atari getting a ten year license on the games lead to some real interesting stuff.

Most everything got delisted last month from the old license. Good thing I think they all got disc releases.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think the context is important. They gave it the thumbs up on the basis that it's a "remake", not a remaster, and that Square knows that to get big sell they need to modernize and make it accessible. A turn based game wouldn't be that.
I guess. But it's a chicken and egg thing. "We have to do a huge remake that takes 8 years to make and needs to sell 10 million copies to make a profit, so therefore we need to make it not urn-based because some people might be turned off". But what if they don't need that, and can do something smaller scale that doesn't have to try to be as broad as possible to not bankrupt the game division?
I wish they could figure out their budget, plans, and vision for their Final Fantasy games, because it's been out of wack for over a decade and it bums me out.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
About to start the Dragon Ball/Sailor Moon episode, and it really brings me back to searching for and playing any DBZ ROM I could find back in 2000 or so on my '98 Packard Bell. I remember putting hours and hours into the RPG/card battle game for SNES...I'm pretty sure it was in Japanese so I had no idea what I was doing.

I noticed that Kim Justice's awesome history on Sensible Software wasn't posted on the Retronauts site. Is she no longer a contributor?

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Boy, Dragon Ball games were like unicorns way back when. I remember being on holidays in Portugal and buying Dragon Ball Z Legends for the Saturn. Holidays to Spain and Portugal were my gateway to DB back then and I'd stock up on everything I could: comics, videos and toys. Ireland didn't get DB until 2000 or so.

When ROMs were taking off I played a half finished translation of one of SFC card based RPGs. Brute forced my way to the end of that guy, it was a hard row to hoe but I still think of bashing away at it with fondness.

Then there was the Atari license stuff. GamePro had a big feature on it where they talked about all these Dragon Ball games that were in development. There were fighting games, an RPG and an FPS. Some of those didn't materialize but I thought it was cool that Atari had a targeted approach to the games whereby each platform would get a game suited to what people were used to playing.

I fell off DB games in the PS3/360 era. Burst Limit was a big disappointment to me. Budokai games were great though and they would be a staple of the Christmas holidays for a good few years. Recently, I got back on board with FighterZ which is fantastic.

My dream was always a DB RPG with a Street Fighter style battle system. Never quite got that game but some of the RPGs were fun enough. I'm interested to see what the future of DB games looks like. FighterZ is a great starting point.

Kim hasn't posted in months but never said "I'm done." Not sure what happened there. She just vanished.

Saw quite a bit of big activity on her YouTube recently. A very long Sensible Software documentary so maybe that's been eating up time. Hope to see her back like the European perspective on things. Gets me all teary eyed.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Realistically, I think internal 3D support in the SNES hardware would have resulted in a lot of ugly, clumsy 3D games and fewer attempts to push the bounds of sprite art. I'm kinda glad it didn't happen, even if it's a cool what-if.

Well, the SuperFX chip isn't a 3d chip per se. It's just a math accelerator. You can do whatever you want with it since you have to write an engine in order to do anything with it. Some used it for rendering polygons or creating a Doom-like engine or for rotating and scaling sprites.

Of course, looking at the trends at the time, I think you're right that we would have probably seen a lot of awkward 3d games had it been included.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It was so weird to hear solid state scouter playing during a Retronauts episode. Loved it.

Although the tonal divide between DB and Z was really overstated. Prior to the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai sure - but once the Piccolo Daimao arc starts up the tone remained pretty consistent until the end of the series.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
It was so weird to hear solid state scouter playing during a Retronauts episode. Loved it.

Although the tonal divide between DB and Z was really overstated. Prior to the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai sure - but once the Piccolo Daimao arc starts up the tone remained pretty consistent until the end of the series.

Yeah, the tournaments go from goofy to more serious as Goku gets older. Z is more of a twist on the formula than a shift. But I can see where they're coming from especially from the context of watching the show in the US.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Z is more of a twist on the formula than a shift.

But is it?

Tenshinhan is near beaten to death by Drum before Goku shows up at the 11th hour and one shots him before his battle with Piccolo.

Gohan and Kuririn are near beaten to death by Nappa before Goku shows up at the 11th hour and one shots him before his battle with Vegeta.

Gohan and Kuririn are near beaten to death by ReaCoom before Goku ...

The show escalated as it continued but it didn't really stray from that formula until the Boo arc and even then it was rather quickly put back on course.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
But is it?

Tenshinhan is near beaten to death by Drum before Goku shows up at the 11th hour and one shots him before his battle with Piccolo.

Gohan and Kuririn are near beaten to death by Nappa before Goku shows up at the 11th hour and one shots him before his battle with Vegeta.

Gohan and Kuririn are near beaten to death by ReaCoom before Goku ...

The show escalated as it continued but it didn't really stray from that formula until the Boo arc and even then it was rather quickly put back on course.

I would say it's a twist in that the alien stuff gives the growth of the characters a different dimension. I'm agreeing with you in that the plotting of the show isn't all that different to DB but the twist in this case is that the emphasis is put more and more on the fighting. And this is what I think they were getting at as well. DB aired after Z in America, or came over a little later and so that initial adventure feeling is markedly different to those first few sagas of Z.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess. But it's a chicken and egg thing. "We have to do a huge remake that takes 8 years to make and needs to sell 10 million copies to make a profit, so therefore we need to make it not urn-based because some people might be turned off". But what if they don't need that, and can do something smaller scale that doesn't have to try to be as broad as possible to not bankrupt the game division?
I wish they could figure out their budget, plans, and vision for their Final Fantasy games, because it's been out of wack for over a decade and it bums me out.
You're not wrong. I do think that their goal with this remake is to have a BIG hit on their hands, and that's the reason for the big budget and "modernization". They certainly could've done something smaller, lower budget, maybe more along the lines of a "remaster", but it probably wouldn't get them nearly as much attention, or nearly as many sales.

There's probably also a sense that they want to give something really great to those that have been asking, and a straight up remaster probably would have just disappointed. It's way easier to overlook changes in a completely different "remake" than it would've been with a remaster. People would've expected it to be 1:1, whereas they have more flexibility this way.

I think their whole point is to just introduce the game to a wider audience, and to give the fans something new but still being FF7, you know?

But I certainly understand the disappointment.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to chime in saying I discovered this podcast because of the thread here and I'm totally in love with it. I normally don't listen to podcasts, but I've been hooked and spent the last two months consuming just about every back episode. Thanks, Jeremy and Bob, for all of the incredible work!

Edit: didn't see that Bob also posts! Much love and adoration to you all :)

Last edited:

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
And Bob! You're welcome.

As for the FFVII thing... I don't love that they've abandoned turn-based systems. But I get why they have.

ATB always felt a bit rushed to me, so I always put Wait on in the settings when I play FF7. But I can't play with Wait mode on in FFXV because it's incredibly awkward to completely pause a fully-3D fight just to asynchronously issue commands. I don't think it's a good compromise.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong. I do think that their goal with this remake is to have a BIG hit on their hands, and that's the reason for the big budget and "modernization". They certainly could've done something smaller, lower budget, maybe more along the lines of a "remaster", but it probably wouldn't get them nearly as much attention, or nearly as many sales.

There's probably also a sense that they want to give something really great to those that have been asking, and a straight up remaster probably would have just disappointed. It's way easier to overlook changes in a completely different "remake" than it would've been with a remaster. People would've expected it to be 1:1, whereas they have more flexibility this way.

I think their whole point is to just introduce the game to a wider audience, and to give the fans something new but still being FF7, you know?

But I certainly understand the disappointment.
I understand their reasoning and the market conditions that lead them to these decisions, but I don't like it and I also don't think the disgust and/or apathy for turn based systems by the public at large is as cut-and-dry as it is often presented.
ATB always felt a bit rushed to me, so I always put Wait on in the settings when I play FF7. But I can't play with Wait mode on in FFXV because it's incredibly awkward to completely pause a fully-3D fight just to asynchronously issue commands. I don't think it's a good compromise.
This is why the CTB in FFX is the secret best Final Fantasy battle system. Completely turn based, turn order manipulation, party members switchable in and out during battle, each character having a specific necessary role in battle, status effects that matter... it was too good for this world.
Yes, sir. Rebuke noted, sir.
Now kiss the paddle.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Catching up on these cause I always forget how awesome they are, and man. They're good stuff. The one guy on the CT episode that seems to relish in cross talk made me want to die, though. Everytime Parish opened his mouth dude just vomited out whatever the fuck. He seems knowledgeable and all, but dude. Chill for a sec.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the Genesis episode. I'm glad to see the console get some props from the Retronauts crew.

I found Jeremy's comment about Sonic 3 very interesting and would love to hear that expanded upon in the future. While I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "bad" game, I've always felt it was not as stellar as the previous games in the series. Would love to see a Sonic 3 episode someday, even if it ran the risk of ticking off the Sonic audience again.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the Genesis episode. I'm glad to see the console get some props from the Retronauts crew.

I found Jeremy's comment about Sonic 3 very interesting and would love to hear that expanded upon in the future. While I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "bad" game, I've always felt it was not as stellar as the previous games in the series. Would love to see a Sonic 3 episode someday, even if it ran the risk of ticking off the Sonic audience again.
It isn't that unpopular an opinion, as seen here: http://gamecareerguide.com/features/883/good_games_bad_design__episode_.php

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Are we talking Sonic 3 Sonic 3 or are we talking Sonic 3 and Knuckles Sonic 3 because being only half a game produced in a pretty rushed state goes a long way to dealing with why I never play the game on its own. It's very incomplete and pretty buggy. Fuck the haters, though, Marble Garden Zone is awesome.