• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
An Alex Dragon Quest episode!

I've been looking forward to it since he mentioned a while ago that Jeremy and Bob were in Japan and they recorded a podcast. I thought they only talked about retro gaming bars, so this is a nice surprise.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Sub Rosa is the ghost candle episode. There's a lot of bad seventh season episodes but they're all better than the worst of the worst of the first two seasons.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Sub Rosa is the worst single episode of any Star Trek and I will die on that hill
I felt so bad for Gates McFadden in that episode. What's an actor to do with that kind of character motivation?

"Okay, Gates. In this scene, after reading your grandmother's sex diary, we need you to look at the candle and look intrigued, confused, worried, defiant, a little high, and orgasming... and, ACTION!"
Code of Honor is both horribly sexist and even more horribly racist!
And in all that, the actress having to awkwardly swing around on the jungle gym of death was still the worst part.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Are the DVDs going to be made available at some point for non-KS backers or is the print run just enough to cover backers?

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It was cheaper for us to produce about 300 extra discs than the exact number due to volume discounts, but we won't sell excess discs for a while. Backers should be able to enjoy theirs first after waiting so long.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
As well they should! I'm a pleb that fell off the wagon for old version of the show a bit before it was cancelled, and only got back into regularly listening to the new stuff earlier this year. So I completely missed the KS and if there's a way to listen to the DVD contents at some point that'd be a nice bonus but I completely respect keeping it exclusive for backers as well since they helped give the show a second life.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Really enjoyed the final SEGA arcade episode. Made me want to bust out the Dreamcast. It made me think of the "Dreamcast doesn't have any true exclusives, therefore it's not that great" mentality that crops up from time to time, and how those people completely miss the point.

A random thought popped into my head the other day...what happened to Christian Nutt? He was one of my favourite guests.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have episodes that they can listen to again and again and again?

Mine are the old old old eps on Adventure Games and Survival Horror.... I must have listened to both of those 15 times, mostly when travelling cross country by Bus as i did many times years ago....

Jenn Frank and Retronauts is why I bought the Sierra collection and why I love Survival Horror as much as I do

Am I ever glad I saved all the old episodes before 1up died and took a huge chunk of my love for gaming with it.... That site, those people, were the best.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have episodes that they can listen to again and again and again?

Mine are the old old old eps on Adventure Games and Survival Horror.... I must have listened to both of those 15 times, mostly when travelling cross country by Bus as i did many times years ago....

Jenn Frank and Retronauts is why I bought the Sierra collection and why I love Survival Horror as much as I do

Am I ever glad I saved all the old episodes before 1up died and took a huge chunk of my love for gaming with it.... That site, those people, were the best.
Q1 of 2008 was probably the peak of Retronauts
January 24: 1997 lookback
January 31: Sega Saturn
February 14: Phantasy Star
February 28: the first over 2 hour episode on Marathon and Smash Brothers
March 13: Jeremy vs Shane over Final Fantasy 7
March 27th: GFW Takeover: The Sims

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
I much prefer current Retronauts, listened to the old ones again a year or so back and they mostly descend into chaos of everyone talking over everyone, now the show is much more structured and coherent, the guests are super knowledgeable and it just feels like a professional podcast (which of course it is).

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I dunno, I kind of find it comforting to have confirmation that everything I've done in the past decade has been hollow garbage grasping desperately at some elusive, bygone, accidental glory.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
A PS2 episode?!?
rTA9NC8.gif

rTA9NC8

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
backlog listening - iron man
so many thoughts! funny there were other people who could of cared less for iron man in the early 90s.
The funny thing was I remember in Wizard magazine's letter page there was an ongoing back and forth between xmen fans and one (was it benj?!) iron man fan about how Iron Man could defeat any single x-men. went on for years I think.

Also, 90s Valiant comics with Jim Shooter and Barry Windsor-Smith were GREAT and hold up for the first two years before acclaim. XO Manowar was actually pretty good.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Listened to the Iron Man episode and 2 thoughts....

I think the Iron Man on PSP is one of the best selling PSP retail games, which is really weird to think about.

And Jeremy's question about taking a bunch of people and putting them together... kinda happened on the famicom with konami wai wa world series?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Started the Dylan cuthbert interview episode today - loving all the backstory leading up to Star Fox, especially how the SuperFx chip came about.

I'd love to see more content like this on the future!

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Sub Rosa is the ghost candle episode. There's a lot of bad seventh season episodes but they're all better than the worst of the worst of the first two seasons.
When I got the Blu-ray set of TNG, I realized there are a -lot- of bad episodes in the series. S1 is mostly all terrible, S2 is an improvement with a ton of stinkers, but subsiquent seasons (up to S7) have multiple duds.
By comparison, DS9 has a rough Season 1, an uneven S2, and then there is maybe 1 truely terrible episode each season (usually involving Ferengi) but for the most parts the "bad" episodes are just mediocre and not unwatchable like TNG

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was cheaper for us to produce about 300 extra discs than the exact number due to volume discounts, but we won't sell excess discs for a while. Backers should be able to enjoy theirs first after waiting so long.
Just wondering I got my backer survey but I can't select canada anything I could do? I tried tweeting you and bob just to see.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the look back to the PS2. EA got off sort of easy though considering the subjects discussed. They blackballed the Dreamcast because Sega dared to have a 1st party 2k sports lineup. EA Sports games were a huge reason to go out and purchase the network adapter and PS2 was the only console with EA Sports online for about a year and a half (2 annual releases of sports titles) because of some disagreement over Xbox Live. I don't know if they are kingmakers or just really good at hitching their wagon to the winning team.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The first syllable in Lara rhymes with car; pretty simple.

Look at how well done this scene is even 20 years ago. Lara is perfectly characterized in two sentences. Natla too. The little smirk she gives. In some ways I think this makes her more likable than the pages and pages of dialogue in the reboots.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Look at how well done this scene is even 20 years ago. Lara is perfectly characterized in two sentences. Natla too. The little smirk she gives. In some ways I think this makes her more likable than the pages and pages of dialogue in the reboots.

Great observation. This is how the best pulpy/popcorn flicks do it. That cutscene takes me back. Great way to launch a franchise...

emb

Oct 28, 2017
PS2 episode got me all nostalgic. I didn't even have a Playstation then, but just thinking back to the time period was fun.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the "Many Voices of Mario" episode, great listen and such a fun segment all around. Lou Albano, Danny Wells and Harvey Atkin were just perfect for Mario, Luigi and Bowser respectively. My standalone Supershow VHS copies of "Mario in Cramalot" and "Mario Meets Koopzilla" I bought with my allowance money in 1990 along with my Super Mario Bros Game and Watch unit all collectively helped tide me over until my family finally got our NES. Also, Harvey Atkin had a recurring role for many years as a judge on Law and Order and he also played a government propaganda bureaucrat in the Last Chase with Lee Majors which is probably one of the better and more watchable MST3K KTMA episodes.

Also, regarding Charles Martinet using the CGI Mario head as a gag at trade shows, there is a personal story about that I just have to share:

I went to E3 2002 and every day somewhere behind the walls of Nintendo's wing, Charles Martinet would do his Mario, Luigi and Wario voices over a speaker while using the CGI video animation of their faces to riff footage of TV shows MST3K style that were appearing on the monitor he was controlling flipping from channel to channel and ad libbing little comedy bits on the fly. As an example, he put Mario's face on the heads of some characters arguing on an episode of Days of Our Lives and in Mario's silly voice, he made it sound as if they were arguing over a stolen puppy: Days of Our Lives lady: "Did you take my pupppy?! Days of Our Lives guy: "No, shuttup about the puppy!!!" Then, in a shampoo commercial, "Ah, yes! The fruity flavored shampoo! It's a real kick in the mouth." And so on. The best part was when Miyamoto showed up smiling in front of the video screen on the show prompting Martinet to make Mario's face excitedly yell "Papa!!!" lol Definitely one of my favorite memories of going to E3.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Really great talk about Chrono Trigger. Surprised that Blue Dragon was never mentioned as it is sort of the reverse future Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger looks like Akira Toriyama helped design a weird sequel to FF 5. Blue Dragon is what if FF5's job system was simplified to go in a knock off Dragon Quest world.

Also while you can draw a straight line presentation wise from FF 5>FF6>Chrono Trigger>FF 7 from a Final Fantasy viewpoint of the world it cannot be overstated how much Chrono Trigger's visual design ended up helping the late SFC games in the Dragon Quest series. DQ 5 frankly looks worse in most respects when compared to FF 4, a near launch game clearly built on the bones of a Famicom product coming out closer to the time when SNES RPGs really established that 16bit look. DQ 6 on the other hand comes out months after Chrono Trigger and is one of the better looking games on the system.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the GI Joe episode. As mentioned on the show, Action Force was the name and the cartoon was shown on TV here. The comic also came over, unlike Transformers that had its own UK stories, the comic was the American version, with some short UK comic strips that had to fit the American continuity, but Flint was the main guy.

It was pretty big here to be honest as Argos would give it a two page spread in their catalogues (Transformers only ever got a page).The coolest thing was we had a run of Action Force prior to the GI Joe rebrand, the figures were about the same size so all my figures and vehicles would work with the Joes. Our early Action Force were based on British/European military.

Weirdest change we got was Sgt Slaughter being called Sgt Slammer.

Full Force!!

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Really great talk about Chrono Trigger. Surprised that Blue Dragon was never mentioned as it is sort of the reverse future Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger looks like Akira Toriyama helped design a weird sequel to FF 5. Blue Dragon is what if FF5's job system was simplified to go in a knock off Dragon Quest world.

Also while you can draw a straight line presentation wise from FF 5>FF6>Chrono Trigger>FF 7 from a Final Fantasy viewpoint of the world it cannot be overstated how much Chrono Trigger's visual design ended up helping the late SFC games in the Dragon Quest series. DQ 5 frankly looks worse in most respects when compared to FF 4, a near launch game clearly built on the bones of a Famicom product coming out closer to the time when SNES RPGs really established that 16bit look. DQ 6 on the other hand comes out months after Chrono Trigger and is one of the better looking games on the system.
Dragon Quest 6 is also when they changed developers from Chunsoft to Heartbeat. Then again both of DQ6's credited graphic designers worked on DQ5, so maybe it was just different priorities at a new developer. It was also 3 years between games, and there was a big difference in overall visual quality between SNES games from 1992 and 1995.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
DQ 5 is frankly primitive looking compared to FF IV, especially the overworld sprites and FF IV beat it to market by quite a bit. DQ 5 is contemporary of FF 5 and FF 5 while looking nowhere near as good as FF 6 will eventually look is a step ahead graphically.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
They never got the Crimson Guard right after the original version.

As for Action Force, I picked up a few of the European Missions reprints they did of those and they weren't especially good. Kind of a bummer! I think they printed them on Baxter paper, if you remember when that was a thing.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's way too late for this year's halloween season, but I think a Castlevania origins episode about Vampire Hunter D would be interesting for next year, Jeremy. Somehow I never made the connection until revisiting it this year, but a lot of the imagery from the old OVA seems to have directly inspired the aesthetic of Castlevania. From the way Dracula and his castle looks, to the very Belmont-esque main female character in the anime with her skirt and whip, to the enemy designs, even down to the projectiles characters throw (the vampire girl throws red light needles that hit the ground and burst into sustained, low to the ground, billowing fire, for example). It doesn't really come across in words, I'm sure, but if you get a chance to rewatch the 80's OVA with that in mind, I think you will see what i mean. And considering that animation came out about a year before the first Castlevania, I don't think it's merely coincidence.

It could also be a jumping off point to discuss Amano's art (outside of Final Fantasy), and the spiritually similar Ayami Kojima's, who herself has worked on some Vampire Hunter D novel illustrations in addition to her work on Castlevania.

Of course, I take any chance I get to recommend people watch the gorgeous Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust as well, but that's just extra. Ive never actually read the books, so I can't speak to those, but who knows? I think they are supposed to be quick reads.

I enjoy your video game adjacent media episodes, and I think this would be a topic that could be enough for a full episode while also tapping into your interests.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Only about 1/2 hour into the new Chrono Trigger episode but I love the time hopping format!

Quick question, anyone know what YouTube video of Chrono Trigger's announcement/prototype Chris was talking about? I'd like to check it out but couldn't seem to find it.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's way too late for this year's halloween season, but I think a Castlevania origins episode about Vampire Hunter D would be interesting for next year, Jeremy. Somehow I never made the connection until revisiting it this year, but a lot of the imagery from the old OVA seems to have directly inspired the aesthetic of Castlevania. From the way Dracula and his castle looks, to the very Belmont-esque main female character in the anime with her skirt and whip, to the enemy designs, even down to the projectiles characters throw (the vampire girl throws red light needles that hit the ground and burst into sustained, low to the ground, billowing fire, for example). It doesn't really come across in words, I'm sure, but if you get a chance to rewatch the 80's OVA with that in mind, I think you will see what i mean. And considering that animation came out about a year before the first Castlevania, I don't think it's merely coincidence.

It could also be a jumping off point to discuss Amano's art (outside of Final Fantasy), and the spiritually similar Ayami Kojima's, who herself has worked on some Vampire Hunter D novel illustrations in addition to her work on Castlevania.

Of course, I take any chance I get to recommend people watch the gorgeous Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust as well, but that's just extra. Ive never actually read the books, so I can't speak to those, but who knows? I think they are supposed to be quick reads.

I enjoy your video game adjacent media episodes, and I think this would be a topic that could be enough for a full episode while also tapping into your interests.
Vampire Hunter D is a better Castlevania anime than the Netflix one.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
the thing that got to me the most on my first playthrough of Chrono Trigger was the courtroom scene. It seems so obvious now, but even though I had played Ultima, I didn't think of my morals at all and was shocked that the game was keeping track of my bad deeds.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Time to dive in to the Chrono Trigger episode! Sounds like the format is similar to the Mega Man X episode from a while back. I hope the 65,000,000 BC segment is done only in caveman speak.
Vampire Hunter D is a better Castlevania anime than the Netflix one.
I heard that a Vampire Hunter D animated series was being pitched to netflix a few years ago (by I think Kawajiri, the guy who directed VHD: Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll, etc), but obviously we ended up with the Castlevania one instead.

The neflix castlevania show is okay, but it's certainly not a Kawajiri anime.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm way behind on episodes, only up to the Dylan Cuthbert episode, just hearing that Nintendo was thinking about trying to get the SFX chip actually into the system and not just for in carts makes me wonder how things would have been different if it had of happened. Even though the Super FX games aren't the prettiest of things around and SNES has some of the best looking sprite based games, just would have been interesting to see more early 3D games popping up on the SNES.