• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
the BBS episode was fun, I had almost the same story as Benj, we would dial up the Yale Gopher service and use a few steps to get a free telnet access and jump on muds, but the dial in was 2400 baud during the 14.4 days so it sucked, but first time I was really on the internet ~1993.

(It actually made me think of everything on the internet being just specific version of telnet, since could telnet to the FTP port or POP3 port and do files or mail stuff.)

Everyone either had a Renegade BBS or tried to run a PC Board.

LORD was ok, but I really liked Falcon's Eye
img-screen_fetitle.gif

and Arrowbridge was a rare door game that I downloaded and played offline, was basically just a text based rpg and was pretty good!
http://breakintochat.com/wiki/Arrowbridge
Arrowbridge-2-death.png

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Sorry to bump to bring up an ancient episode. But wow is the tail end of episode 13 (Golden Age of Arcade) really weird to listen to in light of Hamster starting the Nintendo Arcade Archives earlier this year. Amazing how things have changed since this show re-started.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the BioShock episode right now & I'm just finding out that they've been doing this for well over a decade. Came to Era to ask if there were older episodes available & I see right in the first post that they are. Thank you so much.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump to bring up an ancient episode. But wow is the tail end of episode 13 (Golden Age of Arcade) really weird to listen to in light of Hamster starting the Nintendo Arcade Archives earlier this year. Amazing how things have changed since this show re-started.
It is interesting. Those were done in a very transitional time for the industry.

The episodes from the relaunch are as much of a time capsule as the old 1up episodes at this point. Time for me to go coffin shopping.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dear Gary,

I loved Bonfireside Chats, and I enjoy your appearances on Retronauts. I know that humor is subjective and anchored in time. I went back to the Watch Out for Fireballs episode about Mega Man2 and 3 because that seems safe, and the opening skit was cringeworthy enough that I would have turned off the podcast if I weren't in the shower. The whole "Mega Man sex bro" thing felt really alienating and out of place compared to the actual discussion about classic Mega Man games. I know that was from January 2017 and I'm not asking you to excuse the skit or stop doing skits, but that particular skit was a rough intro to the podcast.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
It is interesting. Those were done in a very transitional time for the industry.

The episodes from the relaunch are as much of a time capsule as the old 1up episodes at this point. Time for me to go coffin shopping.

It was just funny hearing the equivalent of "Nintendo will never re-release their arcade games". 4 years later not only did we get Donkey Kong but also Sky Skipper.

2018. What a year.

(Hey, am I retrospecting a retrospective podcast?)

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
Dear Gary,

I loved Bonfireside Chats, and I enjoy your appearances on Retronauts. I know that humor is subjective and anchored in time. I went back to the Watch Out for Fireballs episode about Mega Man2 and 3 because that seems safe, and the opening skit was cringeworthy enough that I would have turned off the podcast if I weren't in the shower. The whole "Mega Man sex bro" thing felt really alienating and out of place compared to the actual discussion about classic Mega Man games. I know that was from January 2017 and I'm not asking you to excuse the skit or stop doing skits, but that particular skit was a rough intro to the podcast.

If you didn't like that intro then you should probably never listen to their Abject Suffering podcast

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
It's been so long I no longer own anything that plays DVDs.

Apart from my PS2, VCR/DVD combo player, Xbox with DVD adapter, 360, PS3, PS4 Pro, X1X and my PC.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it, whenever I hear people talk about these old school RPGs (the Gold Box games, The Bard's Tale, etc.) I feel determined to finally master them, and then I get my ass kicked and find that it's impossible to heal/revive myself because I have no money, and then I just give up and replay DQIII.

Lombaszko

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the Bard's Tale episode. Great idea to have a micro-overview of the series before the interview portion. It gave a lot of context, since I've not played those games. I continue to be impressed with the developer interviews, guys!

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished listening to the Chasm episode just after finishing the game.

Great listen and a great game, exactly what I wanted the game to be. I played Hollow Knight and Dead Cells which just left me cold, obviously they're bad games they just did nothing for me, but Chasm was the game I wanted the aforementioned games to be.

Last edited:

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
The Keep is brutal but a piece of cake compared to the Temple.

All the little things add for me, like accidentally finding a hidden area, then going back to all the previous areas to see if I had missed any more.

Usually I'd be all over this as a portable game, however I started on PS4 and just kept going, these types of games not being on home consoles made me a portable game but having them come back and play them on the TV is bringing me straight back to simpler times.

I've described Chasm as comfort food gaming to people.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
I had to go back to the game after you mentioned that as I had completely disregarded that hat due to the stats.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Listening to the Super Mario Oddities episode and on the subject of Wrecking Crew not coming back, I always thought it was a shame in the Wii era that we didn't get more downloadable reimaginings of black box NES games after Excitebike World Challenge. That seemed like a great avenue for those now-smaller games to be revisited in a modern way

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Warrior 1+2 was another really great episode and my only further comment on it is about the AI in DQ4 on. The computer cheats so you should always set them to heal for you. Example.

Character 1 takes catastrophic damage early in the turn and dies. If you have AI healing on they'll immediately heal that person skipping whatever turn they were originally going to do. Yes there is a rare circumstance where this will get your entire party killed but more often than not this bit of cheating the turn system ends up saving your bacon.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Dedicated healer type usually have enough MP that it doesn't bug me. I put offensive spell casters on either conserve or use zero mp for regular fights, depending on how good their non spell abilities are.

DQ has the best party AI for any turn based game I've played.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really sums up how small time Iron Man was better than the roster of Marvel Vs. Capcom.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Check your spam filters.

It's not in my inbox on Kickstarter, in my email inbox, or any junk/spam folders etc.

By the looks of the comments on the kickstarter post, the survey was setup as US only for the shipping options anyway. I'm going to Portland Retro Gaming Expo so I can pick it up in person so you save the international shipping if you want.

Speaking of Portland, I'm intrigued at what Tommy Tallarico is going to be showing off. I don't have any nostalgia for Intellivision, but it has train wreck possibilities.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Ah, I am Patreon supporter but I did not get on the Kickstarter train when things re-launched a few years ago. I had forgotten about this!

Also: just listened to the Super Mario Oddities episode and it's made me want to revisit all of the games discussed moreso than probably any episode I've listened to in a long time. I actually didn't quite realize how much extra/new content was packed into SMB Deluxe. Really too bad about the cropped FOV, though. I wish they'd re-master this one with a restored FOV.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Namco really becomes just the house that Tekken built in the arcade from the mid 90's on. The rest of the lineup is a bunch of novelty games. Nothing wrong with that as it was one of the best performers in the sector but not the variety of arcade staples that it had during its golden years.