• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished episode 160: Memoirs of a Game Counselor and this may be one of my favorite interviews on Retronauts. The conversation was incredibly interesting and had me grinning almost the entire time. Jake Kazdal was great!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished episode 160: Memoirs of a Game Counselor and this may be one of my favorite interviews on Retronauts. The conversation was incredibly interesting and had me grinning almost the entire time. Jake Kazdal was great!
I finished this over the weekend as well, and I agree... what a fascinating interview! I love how he was rewarded for his hard work with random opportunities like running into the guy who did the Sega Rally voiceovers and mentioning that director from Macross Plus to Mizuguchi.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Its been awhile since ive listened to this podcast. Just listened to the Metal Gear Solid 3 episode at work yesterday and loved it. This show has always been great, and man do these episodes take me back. Cant wait for the Metal Gear Solid 4 episode. Im sure hes super busy these days, but I would love to see Shane Bettenhausen come back! But if he cant, Ryan Payton would be a really neat interview/co-host for the Metal Gear 4 episode (imo). Ryan did a great job with the Metal Gear Solid 4 Integral Podcast, I think he could bring a really neat insight into what it was like during that time.

Also listened to a bit of the DOOM episode. Hearing Jeff Green again on a podcast really took me back lol. I had been listening to the Masters of Doom audio book at work, and this was a really neat episode that was able to bring some new insight, along with hearing the journalist perspective around that time from Jeff Green.

I grew up with the 1up show, 1up Yours, Active Time Babble, GFW Radio, and of course the old Retronauts. Thank you JeremyParish so much for doing this podcast!

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I always found lost levels to not be that bad. Leaning about hidden blocks, and which mushrooms were poisoness is no different then learning attack patterns in a shmup, or a boss fight.

Plus if you got a game over, you could continue from that exact stage.

Getting from 8-1 to beating 8-4 on 5 lives and getting to Bowser still big because getting past him small in 8-4 is fucking impossible is a million times harder then anything in Lost Levels.

It's not that much harder than save stating your way through on an emulator.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Lost Levels was I guess a neat discovery at the time, but I've never really enjoyed playing it. Super Mario Bros 2, on the other hand, was always special. When I got my NES and somehow ended up just owning SMB1 and 3, renting or borrowing from neighborhood friends was the only way to play SMB2 for the longest while, so it ended up being one that I have a lot of nostalgia for just as something that was a rare treat that I only got to enjoy on occasion.

As such, this episode was great for all the good vibes sent towards the better game.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It might be nostalgia talking but to me there is no better box art in the world than Super Mario Bros. 2. I didn't get the NES until 1989 or 1990 and I got SMB/Duck Hunt and SMB 3 with it, so SMB 2 was the game I had to hunt down at rental stores and seeing that box on the wall just entranced me.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017

O2DJyBM.jpg

I never get tired of Doki Doki Panic jokes where the punch line is every game was called Doki Doki Panic in Japan.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Glad to hear that the official Retronauts position is the correct "Lost Levels is dumb Kaizoesque garbage."

(though I still look forward to the episode where you talk about said rubbish game in more depth)

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
great episodes recently! well, they are all great but....

The Jake episode was fantastic. Actually met him a few times (he told me he wrote the english text in Rez for the upper left corner when you are hacking) and I think he mentioned he thought Metroid Prime was sent from the future. Didn't know his backstory at Nintendo though, or that he went to Pasadena Art Center. Shmancy. Weird story no one will care about but I work with a guy who was at SoftImage for like 20 years and he went to Japan to train Sega folk on it, and he totally remembers there being one random American dude working there. ha

SMB2 felt like a copy of my mind as a podcast. I too somewhat (like 6 years ago) recently replayed it after downgrading it my mind, but the level design is top notch. My vivid memories are first playing it and not realzing the red thing was a door and being stuck on the first "area" for like ten minutes before pressing up. Also loved the falcon doors, feeding Wart veggies, the whales, the rocket (made me smile in Odyssey as well) and <3 Mouser. Thanks for the Gaijionare link, pretty interesting. Also, yeah I think my final tally when I beat the game as a kid was like toad for 15 levels, mario 1, princes 3, luigi 1 or something like that.

Also the mouse bombs thing... I've been exploring that and some other musine things....

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
Jeremy, regarding episode 137, Megumi Hayashibara voiced Rei in Evangelion, not Asuka. I demand a correction and apology in the next episode, else I will be forced to take down my "Superman wears Jeremy Parish pajamas" bumper sticker from my Toyota AE86.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Retronauts somehow keeps unsubscribing itself in iTunes, which is annoying. But it does mean I now have three new episodes to listen to.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Bob/Jeremy, some feedback: The advance notice so people can travel to them if they want and marketing/promotion(patreon posts, bumpers at the beginning of shows etc) of live events Bob and Henry do for Talking Simpsons is a million times better then what happens with Retronauts.

I really think you need to do a better job of that. You should probably be doing Patreon posts for Mailbag requests and other stuff like that as well. Your Patreon posts basically only have episodes in them, They should be posts with all the other stuff too.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't finished the episode yet, but I remember Leigh Alexander writing about Irrational, Bioshock Infinite, and rumors she had heard about the game for almost a year.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211139/Irrational_Games_journalism_and_airing_dirty_laundry.php

Like many things she was doing about back then, it's well written and prescient of things today in how we cover and talk about games. Some quotes as they pertain to Bioshock Infinite:

But someone I know who works in the industry -- yes, I'm sorry, all of my quotes come from "someone I know who works in the industry" today, since the industry is shocked into trepidation about its future by the failure of a successful publisher's boutique franchise -- says that airing the dirty laundry helps comfort the people stuck inside this place or that.

The game was also supposed to have a Vita version, if you remember. Where did that go? Someone Else Who Works In The Industry told me that a lot of the Infinite content that was polished and then never implemented became the Burial at Sea DLC*[Update: After this article was published, level designer Shawn Elliott told people other than me that the sources' assertions about Burial at Sea were "categorically false." That is now officially the only official quote this article contains, so please remember that]. Someone Who Works In The Industry told me that thanks to Ken Levine's breadth of endless ideas and philosophy of fearlessness and un-planning, Infinite grew far, far over its budget and far, far beyond its scope.

At the time, I had no tough questions to ask, besides, maybe, "are you difficult to work for, my friend who works here isn't allowed to talk to me about you, but he said you were difficult to work for." I didn't ask that one.

Wells has the sort of feverish brightness that very good artists have, one minute restlessly eyeing the ceiling, the other talking evenly about studying historical engravings, and the influence of Irrational's historical Massachusetts location on Infinite's style and feel. At the time Gerritsen emphatically supported Levine's pleasantly rebellious-sounding attitude to traditionally-rigid internal process: that process itself "serves development -- it doesn't drive development."

"This isn't a studio that says, 'we're going to make a design doc on day one and build that'," Gerritsen told me.

The following spring, Levine was telling the media that his disinterest in traditional process meant his team just had to crunch. Around the same time, Nate Wells, who had become Naughty Dog's art director, marveled to the press about the ego-free process he enjoyed with The Last of Us' team.

That was when I started to hear a lot from People In The Industry about how people at the studio were unhappy at work. I heard from People in the Industry that turnover at Irrational was very high. More than one Person in the Industry told me that almost no-one who made original BioShock stayed on to make Infinite. At the time, a year out from shipping, Someone Who Worked There told me they believed the studio would close if Infinite didn't sell very, very well.

Someone Else Close To The Situation told me the same thing yesterday. That everyone in the studio probably knew.

I don't know any of these things "for a fact." It's just things I was told. It's just things I could readily believe, based on what else was being reported at the time. It wasn't anything I had the aptitude to do capital-J Journalism about. I don't know how to factually present, for example, the churn rate over the studio's lifetime beyond "we heard it was high." We got a no comment even just for asking how many people were employed at Irrational at the time of its closing.

Also, I don't think I heard it when you guys were talking about what Levine is up to now, but he was working on a new version of Logan's Run before he was supposedly let go as the studio went and hired a new writer from The Hunger Games, so I imagine his attempt at screenwriting took up a chunk of time (sounds like he stopped working on it in 2015). The movie itself has been in development hell for a while.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Finally listened to the MGS3 episode. Does anyone else love how they'll just talk about everything surrounding the game at the time (reviews, press, leadup, etc) and it's legacy? It's kind of like a history lesson!

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Finally listened to the MGS3 episode. Does anyone else love how they'll just talk about everything surrounding the game at the time (reviews, press, leadup, etc) and it's legacy? It's kind of like a history lesson!
Yeah it's my #1 favorite thing about Retronauts in general.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Between the game counselor episode and me adding various SNES jrpgs to my SNES classic, I think that an episode on Enix's output in the west needs to be in the works. I get the Quintet stuff is probably its own show, but even outside of those titles, Enix was a more prolific publisher than Squaresoft was at the time. Its just their biggest franchise stayed in Japan (the SNES releases) and they've been paying for it since.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't finished the episode yet, but I remember Leigh Alexander writing about Irrational, Bioshock Infinite, and rumors she had heard about the game for almost a year.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211139/Irrational_Games_journalism_and_airing_dirty_laundry.php

Hunh. I used to post this as counterpoint to the Kotaku Silicon Knights "exposé."
To that point, I thought X-Men: Destiny was better than X-Men: The Official Game (X3), Mutant Apocalypse, or Madness at Murder World, really.
Still not a great game, but hyperbole aside not the worst X-Men game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came here just to post this. Right at the very end I began to start being a bit bored but everything prior to that I was fucking hooked. His description of working at Nintendo as a counselor in the late 80s was fascinating as all hell!

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
wow not finished yet, but the interview with the wizardry guy is great. so was brenda romero a warg?
The plato stuff was fascinating, I've come across it before but only in regards to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnd_(video_game) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedit5 in my research into early (and pre!) rogue like games. Seems very ahead of it's time with the plasma, the display, the touch panel.

Not sure if DND was procedural actually..

rdbaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Between the game counselor episode and me adding various SNES jrpgs to my SNES classic, I think that an episode on Enix's output in the west needs to be in the works. I get the Quintet stuff is probably its own show, but even outside of those titles, Enix was a more prolific publisher than Squaresoft was at the time. Its just their biggest franchise stayed in Japan (the SNES releases) and they've been paying for it since.
120 minutes on King Arthur & the Knights of Justice

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
The Raiders episode was fun, but I would love to hear Ryan Scott on a future episode about Indiana Jones. That guy knows his Indy like the back of his hand.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember if it was Electronic Games or Atari Age that finally provided the walkthrough to 2600 Raiders of the Lost Ark. If Benj says it was EG then I guess so. I do specifically remember discovering a few things about the game entirely on my own, though, like how to get out of the "Temple Room" where touching anything zaps you into the little corner room (by running along the right wall), or where to put the hand grenade to open the hole in the wall, or that holding and playing the flute makes you immune to snake damage. For a kid at the time with no other adventure game experience, this game was a revelation.

For me, though, it was Atari Games' arcade cabinet of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom that really got the whole Indy game craze going. I was so desperate to play the thing at home on my 2600 that I mapped out sprites and level design pages for how someone could fit the four stage game into the 160x120 pixel (not really, for vertical, but I didn't know that at the time) resolution of 2600 graphics.

It's still probably one of my favorite arcade games, but then I loved most of the sprite-based Atari Games output from the era: Peter Packrat, Road Runner, etc.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The David cage thing was really unnecessary.

I liked the podcast overall. Maybe too much talk post-Bioshock.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
The first 42 minutes of the Bioshock episode feels like listening to somebody's gossipy aunt snark about their neighbors. All of that could have been presented with a bit more maturity. It's all good to place games within historical context but much of that part didn't feel particularly relevant nor necessary.