• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020

Just tried that and while i can enter the dev menu, the remote doesn't seems to work. This is how it should look (i think):
HiWyvjt.png

And this is how mine looks:
HhWuCJv.jpg

I doesn't give me a remote access url, and it shows an error with the Xbox Live connection. What am i doing wrong?

Edit: In the picture you can see that the console doesn't seems to have an IP assigned either, but it's connected to internet. I don't know why that happens.

Edit2: Forget it, i have fix it. Thanks!

Last edited:

DVG

Oct 31, 2017
How are games running for you guys? Nintendo 64 games seem to crash pretty quickly for me. And GameCube games have some visual glitches. Is there something wrong in the settings or the core? How would I fix it?

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
every game on dreamcast and playstation Ive tried has worked flawlessly, what a world

I cannot for the life of me figure out save importing though, Im trying to get a maxed out MvC2 save file on here

edit: figured it out!! yesss

Last edited:

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I recorded the times to boot between retail and dev modes:

Retail to Dev Mode: 5 minutes 8 seconds.
Dev to Retail Mode: 4 minutes 13 seconds.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any consequences from switching back and forth between dev and retail mode?

I'm already super satisfied with the Series X so I don't want to mess something up.

And besides Retroarch, can I playtest my super janky horrible Unity game with no release plan at all in dev mode? Or do I have to pretend I'm actually a serious game developer?

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks man - that worked!
So much for having to leave the preview program
It's a long reboot between modes, I'm guessing at least the 1st time it's cloning O/S to a different partition or something

OP
OP
smocaine

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Glad to hear it's working for people. The XSS sounds like an awesome emulation box, on top of being a normal console, for $300, especially considering it comes with a great controller.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
That's pretty neat.
Is it possible to upload disk images to it?
The only cost is the developer account, no subscription or anything?
Can the series S do this?
Can I use my DS4's for it?

I currently have a hacked PS3 for emulation, but I could see myself buying a series S solely for this purpose.

My biggest worry would be that microsoft would disable this for some reason since they would lose money on selling the series s below cost and me not buying any games, but I guess I could sell it on if that happens.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Translate this for me:

1: Does this mean any disks I own for the PS2/GCN would work on an XSX through emulation?
2: What does putting an Xbone into Dev mode mean for features? No gamepass?
3: Will this be removed anytime soon?

I can't speak for your first question, but as far as number 2, you can't access your normal games or apps while in Dev Mode. It's basically a sandbox intended for developers to test unsigned code and Xbox Live features. I'm actually using it for development. But because you can run unsigned code, you can play with things like RetroArch.
It's not going to be removed. Dev Mode has been on Xbox for literally years now.

WTF?! Are you telling me this ancient prophecy I heard years ago of 'retail
Xbox units can become dev kits' is actually a thing? I thought it was stuff of legend.

It has been a thing since 2016.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
That's pretty neat.
Is it possible to upload disk images to it?
The only cost is the developer account, no subscription or anything?
Can the series S do this?
Can I use my DS4's for it?

I currently have a hacked PS3 for emulation, but I could see myself buying a series S solely for this purpose.

My biggest worry would be that microsoft would disable this for some reason since they would lose money on selling the series s below cost and me not buying any games, but I guess I could sell it on if that happens.
Lemme see what I can answer:

1. By disk images do you mean installing a whole new image onto the console? If that's the case, no.
2. Yes, only the 20$ fee.
3. Yes, all Xbox One and Series consoles can do this.
4. No, you are still limited to the Xbox environment so other controllers won't work (welllll... there might be some exceptions but i haven't seen any).

And no, dev mode isn't going away—it's necessary for a lot of indie work, games and applications :)

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
So if Dolphin runs on the Series X...can I play Breath of the wild on it? Thisis completely bonkers BTW...had no idea this was possible on a console.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Lemme see what I can answer:

1. By disk images do you mean installing a whole new image onto the console? If that's the case, no.
2. Yes, only the 20$ fee.
3. Yes, all Xbox One and Series consoles can do this.
4. No, you are still limited to the Xbox environment so other controllers won't work (welllll... there might be some exceptions but i haven't seen any).

And no, dev mode isn't going away—it's necessary for a lot of indie work, games and applications :)

With images I mean if I can rip my PS2 discs and upload them or if I need to use the disc directly, I won't install linux or something on it :)
I haven't used an xbox before so I'm not sure how the file system and uploading disc images etc works, on the PS3 it exposes a ftp server for me when you hack it.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
With images I mean if I can rip my PS2 discs and upload them or if I need to use the disc directly, I won't install linux or something on it :)
I haven't used an xbox before so I'm not sure how the file system and uploading disc images etc works, on the PS3 it exposes a ftp server for me when you hack it.
Ah sorry, dev mode and uploading disk images made me think of other things lol

So AFAIK, Retroarch doesn't have native FTP functionality (and the console won't accept any discs that need some kinda authentication in dev mode). So you'll need to rip the images of your games and push them to an external drive.

The Xbox filesystem does have a userspace (like pictures, documents, etc) you can work with and you might even be able to transfer your game images to the console! I just have not tried that myself.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Ah sorry, dev mode and uploading disk images made me think of other things lol

So AFAIK, Retroarch doesn't have native FTP functionality (and the console won't accept any discs that need some kinda authentication in dev mode). So you'll need to rip the images of your games and push them to an external drive.

The Xbox filesystem does have a userspace (like pictures, documents, etc) you can work with and you might even be able to transfer your game images to the console! I just have not tried that myself.

Ah, external drive, that works fine.
The series s is still in stock here so I might just grab one tomorrow :)
This probably works with a thumb drive too I guess.

The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast | MVG
OP
OP
smocaine

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019

"Thanks to Developer Mode, The Xbox Series S can run Retro Arch emulation with excellent performance. In this episode we take a closer look at Dev Mode on the Series S, how to set it up and what to expect running Retro Arch - a UWP based emulator that supports the Xbox Series S and X."

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Haha this is pretty cool. I already knew this was possible, but seeing it run so well is kinda cool. I have no idea what I would PLAY. But the very idea of it is kind of exciting. The Series S is stronger than my laptop D: lol

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The Series S is really the perfect combination for an emulation device, as the weaker GPU will make little to no difference. It's impossible to build a full system with an 8 core Zen 2, dedicated GPU and 512GB SSD for anything close to the £250 retail price. An 8 core Zen 2 CPU is more than the price of the console alone, you're getting an incredible amount of CPU performance for the money.

I'd be really interested to see RPCS3 running on it, there's a decent amount of PS3 titles that will run well on an 8 core Zen 2 so it would be great to see.

I think it's worth adding the MVG video to the op.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get some disk access error when loading gamecube games in retroarch on series x (using external drive)

anyone get this to work?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you actually emulate games at higher resolutions / add texture packs / etc.. like you can on PC?

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Am I really about to buy a dev account when I have several devices that can already do this?

The answer is yes

I bought a dev account years ago when I bought my One S and forgot about it. Now I just need to buy a dedicated Series S down the road - I have an X, but I don't want to constantly swap between dev and retail mode, plus I have other family members that are using it and they wouldn't know how to switch it back if I accidentally left it in dev mode.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I'm missing all of the little XMB style logos when I run RetroArch. I can see the actual menu selections (Load Core, Load Content, Online Updater, etc.) and move left and right between Favorites and whatever but the actual icons at the top are missing.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
So let me get this straight. When i put this on a series s i can just switch between normal mode and dev mode when i boot the console. I dont loose any functionality?

Dec 15, 2017
My fx 6300 has decent emulation performance on several RPCS3 and CEMU games. Can't wait to see what you can do with an 8/16 zen 2 CPU.

running demon's souls with online MP would be incredible. Aldo what are the odds of this machine running BoTW 2 on release date?

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Ape Escape 2 running at 60 fps on my Series X. Every 20-30 seconds it will drop to the mid-30s for a second or two.
62MTSW0.jpg