• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe that guy who asked on Twitter "what happened to the Retro game he heard about", hasn't given us an update.

Oct 26, 2017
They have a three creative directors thing going on right now (it's really weird...) and one of those guys was promoted from lead artist so he can probably help with the art in particular while they search for a dedicated art director.

But game developers taking 8-16 months to fill a position, while common, just seems like incredibly bad practice in the game's industry. Hiring takes forever and a day.

Anyway, will be interested to see how they replace Vince Joly.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Normally games like this have multiple art directors who specialize in different areas of the game (UI/Textures/Character Models etc) so it's not unusual to have people coming in during all points of development.

Oct 26, 2017
Normally games like this have multiple art directors who specialize in different areas of the game (UI/Textures/Character Models etc) so it's not unusual to have people coming in during all points of development.

The former creative director and art director quit because he was mad that Nintendo was doing art outsourcing for Prime 4. He was the only person to hold the position of art director and they've been without someone in that position for the whole year so far.

Jan 11, 2018
The former creative director and art director quit because he was mad that Nintendo was doing art outsourcing for Prime 4. He was the only person to hold the position of art director and they've been without someone in that position for the whole year so far.

That whole outsource your workforce thing? That was way before it was announced Retro took over Prime 4.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We had an opening for a Senior VFX artist, we really needed one. We pay well, job is cool, etc, etc

After a year+ and some crazy interviews (seriously, VFX people! Who knew!) we gave up. Closed the opening.

Weird industry.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We had an opening for a Senior VFX artist, we really needed one. We pay well, job is cool, etc, etc

After a year+ and some crazy interviews (seriously, VFX people! Who knew!) we gave up. Closed the opening.

Weird industry.
Can I ask why was it so hard to fill this position? Out of curiosity.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing leaks from them because they aren't making anything.
247.gif

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more surprised Nintendo is still funding a studio that hasn't released anything for so long.
Unless NCL themselves decided to cancel the projects despite being satisfied with their level of quality. Which is a real possibility too I guess.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not a lot of VFX people out there so the few ones you find already have jobs that try pretty hard to keep them happy ... so you have these really confident, valuable candidates who know their worth and thus are very much on the eccentric diva side of the fence. Once the statute of limitations is up I'll dish some details but we laugh about this stuff internally often.

In short, want to work in videogames? Make explosions! You'll work forever. Total life hack.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it is, there just seem to be very few people who go this route despite it being in high demand. Good starting point for any young people who want to find a career in games though.

Last edited:

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo to cancel Metroid Prime 4 from existence in 2023 and put Retro on Metroid Prime 5 for a 2027 release.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
surprised that they're not just flying in one of the in-house art directors from nintendo

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Way back in 2000-2001 in the early days of Dolphin/Gamecube, didn't Retro have like 3 or 4 other games in development (in addition to Metroid Prime) that all got cancelled?

Ravenblade
a Football fame
a vehicle combat game

Those are what I remember.

So with a game having been in development for years at Retro, in more recent years, which may or may not be canceled, seems like the norm for Retro, now with MP4 in development.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
How can some people legitimately expect this game to be out before 2022? Seriously...

I mean, they're still in pre production. We're not getting this game next year nor in 2021. I actually find 2022 to be a little of a stretch, but at least it's possible.

2023 is my bet, alongside the Switch successor. It's a super safe bet

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
2023? Realistically, this game will be out in 2024. Frankly, I can't believe an anticipated 2025 game like Metroid Prime 4 will be releasing in 2026.