• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Reading some of these comments, I'm shocked you'd even expect any sort of announcement next year. Mid, maybe even late 2021 at the earliest. It's not coming out till 2022/23 lol

Jan 11, 2018
Metroid Other M: Sakamotos lacked 3D experience, so he approached Team Ninja.

This actually isn't true. Sakamoto didn't want it to be a 3D game. He wanted it to be like Pandemonium!/Klonoa. You can see elements of these ideas in Other M. Team Ninja put their foot down and insisted it be a fully 3D game.

Being back Andrew Jones pls

He was a concept artist, not art director. That was Todd Keller, who works at Armature now.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There were rumors that Retro was trying to help save what Bandai was making since June 2018... So they may already have fished through everything there was that time. The way the video was presented me it sound (to me) like they were keeping NOTHING. I feel like generally it would be a bad idea to use ideas from a failed project, especially from a studio like Retro who are obviously perfectionists and have a very distinct style... It would seem odd that they would want to use anyone else's work as a foundation for their own game (outside of using the IP itself). Obviously you would have a better idea than me though. Can you speak to this at all as a developer?

As for the second point, that makes sense. I completely understand how a great artist wouldn't necessarily make a great art director, but I figured an art director would most definitely be a great artist. But again, I trust you know better than I. In any case... Whoever ends up as the art director certainly has quite the task on their hands...
Art directors are pretty much managers, heck you don't even need to be able to draw to be an art director. You do need to know how to manage art, which is why most art directors come from artistic backgrounds.

Well it would make sense Retro would be involved in some way, maybe in a consulting role, but these are rumors so whatever. When it comes to taking over a project from another team, even when being willing to starting from scratch, the desire is always to see if anything can be salvaged. Most likely there is very little and it all depends on the desire of your publisher to keep the core concept of the game intact or to try something new.

Last edited:

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This actually isn't true. Sakamoto didn't want it to be a 3D game. He wanted it to be like Pandemonium!/Klonoa. You can see elements of these ideas in Other M. Team Ninja put their foot down and insisted it be a fully 3D game.

He was a concept artist, not art director. That was Todd Keller, who works at Armature now.
idc they need to pay him to come back

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Having announced Metroid Prime 4 way too fucking early was the worst mistake Nintendo has ever done after the Wii U. It's like this project got instantly cursed or something. At this point I'm not even sure if Retro could pull this massive project out and live up to the awesomeness of the trilogy. Anyways, see you all in 2023 for the teaser trailer!
Nah, I'm more comfortable knowing that they care about the future of the series enough to not only give it another big 3D game, but delay it to ensure it's right.

2017 without Prime 4 announcement would've seen a brief revival with Samus Returns (whole way better than nothing, a remake on an old, dying system) and then.... we're back in the dark.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we at address the real elephant in the room, being where the fuck was Prime Trilogy at E3? Haven't rumors all but confirmed it is done and just being held for a rainy day (or a gap in game releases)?
They probably keep it until they can leverage the awareness the Trilogy will bring to the franchise as a whole. I'd guess they'll bring it 1 year before 4 comes out so people will go "Oh damn I played those".

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having announced Metroid Prime 4 way too fucking early was the worst mistake Nintendo has ever done after the Wii U. It's like this project got instantly cursed or something. At this point I'm not even sure if Retro could pull this massive project out and live up to the awesomeness of the trilogy. Anyways, see you all in 2023 for the teaser trailer!

Nah, I don't want a world where Samus Returns was the only game announced that E3. The virtrol thrown at Metroid Samus Returns was bad enough thanks to idiots who thought that Nintendo just copied AM2R. I don't need to see how bad it could have gotten.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm more comfortable knowing that they care about the future of the series enough to not only give it another big 3D game, but delay it to ensure it's right.

2017 without Prime 4 announcement would've seen a brief revival with Samus Returns (whole way better than nothing, a remake on an old, dying system) and then.... we're back in the dark.
I can agree with this lol. I'm glad they delayed it. They actually care about the quality of the game. The announcement made sense because of the backlash they would've received. Nintendo already received backlash from Federation Force and they don't want that again.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't they been hiring for this position for quite a while now...? Makes you wonder what their reputation, or Nintendo's, is like in the western dev community.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Most likely at that time in point it made a whole lot of sense. Game development is a very dynamic beast and at any point of the process it could suddenly not work (as in on paper it might be the greatest idea ever, but when actually building it, it could happen that the game is simply not fun and you start missing milestones and your project is in trouble. This is most likely nobodies fault and just how these things go.) Atleast Nintendo gave an update and has been transparent on that they gave it to retro instead (Retro before this, was most likely too busy with other projects that I imagine are now cancelled to make way for MP4)

Things fuck up, projects fail, schedules misalign and strategies can fail. You are giving nintendo far too much shit. This is a business that deals with forever moving targets and finicky audiences that are very sensitive to trends while working with properties that not only are works of art, but the creative process of making a game is equally as unpredictable and dynamic as the industry itself.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda bewildered that so many are surprised by this. We literally only found out Retro were taking over in the last 6 months or so right? They told us then that they were starting from scratch.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a little confused why this is a thread?

They've been hiring for this position for the last six months ever since Vince Joly quit.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just make it for the Switch 2 if it's going to come out in Holiday 2022

Should Death Stranding and The Last of Us 2 be PS5 titles? They're launching on PS4 at a later point in its lifecycle than Prime 4 if it launches at the end of 2022.

Prime 4 will launch in 2022 or 2023 and it will be a Switch title.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
bUt NiNtEnDo sHoUld'vE sHoWn PrIMe 4 at E3

The game is sooooo obviously early in development that I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see footage until two e3's from now. People have/had too much hopes and expectations for Rare, and I kind of feel bad for them.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
The good news is that I'll have plenty of time to play it when it comes out in 2045 because I'll be retired.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It started from scratch. It was probably in pre production. Story, puzzles, prototyping, weapons, etc that they wanted to try out.

Art directors come in a bit later. Look at some Naughty Dog job postings.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine you can get pretty far just prototyping gameplay concepts and levels without necessarily needing an art director.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Why do people keep saying the trilogy wasn't announced for Switch? It was announced 6 months ago at TGA per the Nintendo insiders.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
You guys are acting so dramatic . Gameplay systems are and story are in place already. Even story directors come and go in development. Internal date is still 2021

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Should Death Stranding and The Last of Us 2 be PS5 titles? They're launching on PS4 at a later point in its lifecycle than Prime 4 if it launches at the end of 2022.

Prime 4 will launch in 2022 or 2023 and it will be a Switch title.

With the backwards compatibility involved, I'm sure there will at least be boosted graphics for those games on PS5. If not for the backwards compatibility, you could take it to the bank that at least TLoU would have a PS5 remastered edition just like the first one got on PS4.

I expect similar from Metroid, I think it will be playable on Switch and Switch 2, but looking a lot better on Switch 2.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing big, but Tanabe commented on Metroid Prime 4.

And lastly, Mr. Tanabe I can't not ask you about a certain other project you're working on - Metroid Prime 4. We haven't seen anything of it at all this E3. Do you have an update for fans waiting patiently for it?

Tanabe:
I shouldn't say, it's a little tricky... To be completely honest, at this E3 I just want people to pay attention to Luigi. If I mention something about Metroid Prime 4, people will focus on that. But when the time comes, I am so ready to talk about it!

Jan 15, 2019
This isn't just a "ways off". This sounds like MP4 hasn't even started full production yet.
Them hiring an art director doesn't necessarily mean they didn't have one before. It's possible they are just replacing the previous art director, and the extent to which anyone should be concerned would rely on knowing why the replacement was needed.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
As others are saying, is there anything that suggests this isn't just hiring a replacement for some reason? Be that someone left, someone fell ill, someone was fired or a number of other reasons.