• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I expected Retro to have a ready-made design document that meticulously outlines what Metroid Prime 4 has to be so they only have to fill in the numbered areas and finish this in 1-1.5 years.

I honestly they fee that they do. Just because they are now hiring an art director doesn't mean they dont already have a word laid out and gameplay implemented.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You sure it's been up all the time, or is it possible the position was filled and then that person left (because it didn't work out for whatever reason)? 7 months is a hell of a long time to have an application up.

The job date on the website shows November 12th, 2018. Still the same job/application.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
When you realize Retro hasn't been working on a new game since they finished with DK:TF.

Nah they had to have been working on things.
Most likely everything they've been working on has been cancelled/delayed/ready but hasn't been announced or something.

Watch them announce SFGP in the next direct with release this winter...please...

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Retro does have a reputation of taking an infuriatingly long time with their games. Them skipping a whole generation would be pretty wild, but I don't think Nintendo wants to make all the Metroid fans mad again. lol

Here's hoping it's a 2022 title and not later.

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
Sad but expected. As long as the final product is worth it, I'm completely fine with this. But please Nintendo, give us some form of Metroid on Switch to tide us over till then...

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I hope Nintendo throws everything Metroid at the Nintendo Switch until this game comes out. More than 2 years after launch and all there is on the Switch is the NES original.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I forgot where I read this and I could have some of the details mixed up but apparently there were multiple teams in different locations working on different sections of the game or something. They didn't have a clear vision so it ended up being a mess. Now I don't know about you but this is not the game I'd expect Nintendo to allow to be made like that.

Plus Bandai isn't known for making First Person Shooter/Adventure games with an interconnected world.

Oh yeah I read that too. Idk what Nintendo was thinking with that one but it's hard to put the blame on BN for that clusterfuck.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
We honestly have no idea what wasn't up to snuff in the previous developers' work, so for all we know, the art could be done. Or at least a direction has been established and this director role is just there to crack the whip and be the go-between for the artists and the software engineers or higher-ups.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Can we at address the real elephant in the room, being where the fuck was Prime Trilogy at E3? Haven't rumors all but confirmed it is done and just being held for a rainy day (or a gap in game releases)?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, are we sure this position is even for MP4? If the position was announced in November, that's two months before Nintendo even announced Retro was working on it.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Can we at address the real elephant in the room, being where the fuck was Prime Trilogy at E3? Haven't rumors all but confirmed it is done and just being held for a rainy day (or a gap in game releases)?
They're probably holding it for next year because this one is already pretty packed for Switch owners. Hopefully they won't hold it until the marketing cycle for Prime 4 starts :(

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Also, are we sure this position is even for MP4? If the position was announced in November, that's two months before Nintendo even announced Retro was working on it.

It says its for MP4. If anything Nintendo could have decided after contracts were all signed and dotted to announce the delay with Retro. Where Retro was already planning the development ahead of the announcement.

Since this listing was there before Nintendo announced it, we probably could have spotted it ahead of time.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
rzKN8c0.jpg

How many car washes do I need to get to summon MP switch trilogy?

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Take all the infinite time you need Retro I can wait. It is crazy to think we gone have a sequal to botw before we get Metroid bonkers!

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who recently was let go from a studio that switched art directors in the middle of a project and struggled to find one in a timely fashion, I can safely say that games are tough to make without art directors firmly embedded in a team. Onboarding a new art director is a really tough task mid-project.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Even more adding up to the idea that Retro was selected by name and fan demand not because they had a team ready and eager to work on this. The management surrounding MP4 seems really skeevy.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most heartbreaking thing would be if this game spends 5-6 years in development hell and finally comes out and ends up not being great.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I forgot where I read this and I could have some of the details mixed up but apparently there were multiple teams in different locations working on different sections of the game or something. They didn't have a clear vision so it ended up being a mess. Now I don't know about you but this is not the game I'd expect Nintendo to allow to be made like that.

Plus Bandai isn't known for making First Person Shooter/Adventure games with an interconnected world.
They had it at BN Singapore, a team with several devs from LucasArts that worked on the canned SW 1313 and some other people with similarly Western game dev experience. It made sense when you looked at who worked there. Later we heard something about it being handed to BN Japan's HQ or something.
So that is what people think game development is..
Just tighten up the graphics on Level 3.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I lost all hope in Retro after this E3. I wish Nintendo gave MP4 to a developer that doesn't sit 5 years without getting a game out.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
And if you don't want to have delays, you just hire more people to fill in the numbered areas faster. Duh.
giphy.gif

This is what happens when the world looks at 2 of the best platform games ever made and says 'meh, i want metroid'
Absolute travesty that they didn't get the success and appreciation they deserve with those dk games, they should have been given the thumbs up immediately from everyone in world to take their time and make a third one at the very least.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
This spot has been open for months. They still haven't found someone for the role? I would think that prospective art directors would be clamoring for the opportunity to put Retro Studios on their resume.

Jan 10, 2018
As someone who recently was let go from a studio that switched art directors in the middle of a project and struggled to find one in a timely fashion, I can safely say that games are tough to make without art directors firmly embedded in a team. Onboarding a new art director is a really tough task mid-project.

In general terms, what are reasons to drop a art director during development?

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Jesus. Hopefully the Samus Returns team has a followup on the way so the Switch can get atleast some Metroid love.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
In general terms, what are reasons to drop a art director during development?
Generally not many, most often its a simple matter of an art director leaving a studio to work somewhere else.

This spot has been open for months. They still haven't found someone for the role? I would think that prospective art directors would be clamoring for the opportunity to put Retro Studios on their resume.
Retro might deliver amazing games, but for professionals its not as attractive place to work as you might think.

Last edited: