• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
We didn't think it would take 6 months from that announcement to hire a fucking art director. But then again, most of us don't know anything about game development.
Considering they're rebuilding the game, it's likely they were using assets from the old project to go through the programming and mechanics before they felt the need to get a new director for their own vision management.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
an art director...so this game is still a very long ways off.

Not expecting it till 2022/23 at this point. Probably even a Switch 2 launch cross-gen title. We will be lucky to get a trailer for this game next year.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
We aren't seeing this until like 2023 at earliest.
Even if they started from scratch when it was announced they were working on it, you can do a lot of engine work without a final art direction.

But yeah I'd imagine holiday 2021 is definitely the earliest we'll see it.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
1. Sometimes Art Directors leave, and they then need to hire another one
2. Nintendo said in January that we shouldn't expect it for a while
3. Anyone expecting it sooner than 2021 at the earliest was kidding themselves

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
They can still make plenty of progress working on the engine, and testing level designs and mechanics without a final "look." I doubt they're just sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Games take time, news at 10. You guys think they first start by deciding the art style when they're starting to create a game ? Over the game design ?
Honestly, in most cases art concepting starts not long after the design phase (in this case we can assume there are enough known quantities that they have already concepted some stuff and been doing art style tests.
The fact that they are hireing an art director doesnt mean they didn't have an art director before.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow... We might have to wait awhile for this game, lol. Don't ask me how I know. Just a feeling.

Oct 26, 2017
The bigger surprise (and disappointment) isn't that Prime 4 is far away, it's that Retro quite likely has nothing else releasing before Prime 4, baring a remaster of older titles.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What!? That can't be real... At this point they may not show MP4 at next E3...
ehh.. who said they would show it at next E3? I cant remember any official word on that. Don't expect it for another 3 years, that is game development for ya! Just trust that Retro will do a kickass job.

So at this point it's clear MP4 will set Nintendo's longest record for time between announcement and release.

With that being said, I don't think this means they just started. Retro was announced as the developer six months ago.
Sure, but I bet they got material from the previous studio who was working on it that will take months to get and fish trough to see what the state of that was and how to continue further, and also Hiring is hard, even for a title like Metroid and a studio like Retro.

Too many studios, not enough experienced people to go around. Every year there are thousands of students with various level of qualities released into the job market around the world, making it a nightmare to find quality experienced personel. I have not met a single studio who has had no hiring issues the last couple of years.

I thought this was common knowledge. I wonder why they just dont promote someone from within. They have several artists there that worked on the Prime games.
Easier said then done. Maybe they don't have internal artists who want to become an art director. Those are very different jobs and a good artist does not make a good art director and vice versa. Good art directors are very rare and I think a Metroid Prime game deserves a great art director that can take it to the next level.

Last edited:

thatjesushair

Mar 21, 2019
They're just staring now because they had to put the finishing touches on Star Fox Grand Prix...

...avatar not related.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Not surprising sadly, but it hurts every time I'm reminded of it 😢
I still can't believe Nintendo fucked this game by giving it to Bandai Namco.
But is that really confirmed?
God, there's no other dev story that I'm more curious about than this... Just what the hell happened?

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm fully expecting for this game to get canned too or be underwhelming. I'm just not a believer when it comes to Retro Studios.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They can keep that mess away as long as we get our Metroid 5 by Sakamoto and Mercury Steam

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Surely Retro has another game cooking in the oven ready to go early next year to tide us over, one with apes 🐒

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone apply and please let them know the gamers won't accept anything other than a very muted color palette of black, purple, and red.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I expected Retro to have a ready-made design document that meticulously outlines what Metroid Prime 4 has to be so they only have to fill in the numbered areas and finish this in 1-1.5 years.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
That's not fair, Bandai Namco did a great job with Smash. Although they did have Sakurai to guide them.
I forgot where I read this and I could have some of the details mixed up but apparently there were multiple teams in different locations working on different sections of the game or something. They didn't have a clear vision so it ended up being a mess. Now I don't know about you but this is not the game I'd expect Nintendo to allow to be made like that.

Plus Bandai isn't known for making First Person Shooter/Adventure games with an interconnected world.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When you realize Retro hasn't been working on a new game since they finished with DK:TF.