• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Make of it what you will, but I've heard a couple of things that conflict with this stuff. One thing I've heard pretty definitively, for example, is that neither a Metroid Prime trilogy nor a Metroid Prime 4 announcement were ever planned for The Game Awards.
I guess this is a semantics thing, but Imran mentioning that the announcement was planned in December and that Metroid wasn't planned for TGA aren't mutually exclusive statements.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Make of it what you will, but I've heard a couple of things that conflict with this stuff. One thing I've heard pretty definitively, for example, is that neither a Metroid Prime trilogy nor a Metroid Prime 4 announcement were ever planned for The Game Awards.
Have you heard of Trilogy at all?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

But the existence of a Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch is correct?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm
The plot thickens haha

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they'll sit on MPT until closer to MP4's release, that's too far away. I could see it being a summer release. I wonder if it's a remake or remaster?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
SO who do we even believe at this point.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they'll sit on MPT until closer to MP4's release, that's too far away. I could see it being a summer release. I wonder if it's a remake or remaster?
Definitely not a remake or it wouldn't have been ready since some time last year. They don't even need to be remade at all. Dolphin remasters look amazing.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be pretty awesome if Metroid Prime Trilogy were a "is available... TODAY" reveal in the next Nintendo Direct.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is a semantics thing, but Imran mentioning that the announcement was planned in December and that Metroid wasn't planned for TGA aren't mutually exclusive statements.
That's true, although I'm not sure an announcement outside of TGA would make much sense, given that there was no Direct and that Nintendo was very concerned with making sure everyone bought Smash, hence the Joker DLC announcement at the Keighleys. (Nintendo is the type of company that's very much focused on maximizing sales for what's immediately in front of them.)

As for the Switch trilogy's existence, I can't confirm that unfortunately. I've heard about it through the Nintendo rumor grapevine but not from anyone who would have firsthand knowledge of it.

Some other timing stuff in these tweets also doesn't quite mesh with what I have heard firsthand, though. I'm still reporting this out, and will hopefully be able to write about this story at some point in the future.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So heard the news. Most likely MP4 is coming out in 2021. I'm hoping to wet fan's appetite that a MPT comes out in 2020 now, so to keep Metroid mania alive. 2-3 years is along time for consumers to keep interest in a franchise. If I were Nintendo, release MPT in Spring 2020, release Metroid Zero and Super Metroid Fall 2020 and get hyped for MP4 in the Spring 2021

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They have only made two ports, they could be working on a new Mario vs Donkey Kong.

It could work very well in Switch

If it's not them, it's either another one of those old Retro Studios quick project like Tropical Freeze port, or i don't know who's making this supposed port.

I can't believe people like to throw in so many supposed games without even knowing who is behind these games, claiming studios can work on multiple projects at the time (which is true but not for all of them), so after how things turned out with MP4, i'd go a little more cautious with all these rumored announcements.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Hmm so Jason also heard some rumors about Metroid but from people without direct access to the info. So I wonder if everything we've been hearing is coming from similar sources to the one Jason dismissed. Other insiders are running with it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, although I'm not sure an announcement outside of TGA would make much sense, given that there was no Direct and that Nintendo was very concerned with making sure everyone bought Smash, hence the Joker DLC announcement at the Keighleys. (Nintendo is the type of company that's very much focused on maximizing sales for what's immediately in front of them.)

As for the Switch trilogy's existence, I can't confirm that unfortunately. I've heard about it through the Nintendo rumor grapevine but not from anyone who would have firsthand knowledge of it.

Some other timing stuff in these tweets also doesn't quite mesh with what I have heard firsthand, though. I'm still reporting this out, and will hopefully be able to write about this story at some point in the future.
You say that, yet they revealed bayo 1/2 and bayo 3, but bayo 3 is looking like it will come out at least a full two years after it was revealed.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I am starting to be skeptical about the supposed trilogy
I mean, after today message it would have been simple but great to announce the trilogy for, let's say, this year
But nope..
So..
I am not sure it actually exists

You don't announce good news in a random Friday news dump a week before your earnings call.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You say that, yet they revealed bayo 1/2 and bayo 3, but bayo 3 is looking like it will come out at least a full two years after it was revealed.
You're misunderstanding. I didn't say they don't tease things that are far out. I said that they wouldn't have wanted to distract from Smash's release, which is why they made a big Smash announcement at TGAs, the night before the game came out.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they delay MPT out if it's done?

Now that the holidays have passed this entire quarter is dead for Nintendo games.

lol at Nintendo sitting on completed games
Yeah, i don't get this. It makes sense that they didn't want to cannibalize sales for Pokemon, Mario Party, Smash and NSMBU but noe that all that is out there's nothing major in thebcoming months on the docket.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On one hand MPT would be a nice way to say sorry for the delay of MP4. And the sooner we get it the happier I'll be.

On the other hand it makes very little sense to use a trilogy port as a promotional tactic for a sequel that is 3 years away at least. So a delay for the MPT makes more "business sense"

I hope they release it sooner rather than later personally. I need my metroid fix and switch ain't scratching it.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
You're misunderstanding. I didn't say they don't tease things that are far out. I said that they wouldn't have wanted to distract from Smash's release, which is why they made a big Smash announcement at TGAs, the night before the game came out.
Do you have any further insight into the Retro angle of this story? Both whether what was mentioned about them pitching Nintendo on taking over MP4was true, or whether or not they have another project in late stages of development (Star Fox or otherwise)?

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
"Insiders" suddenly have all the information on Metroid Prime & it's development process now that Nintendo reveals it's been struggling?

Sure Jan

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Sorry but I'm done with rumors and insiders speculation. At this point I don't even think MPT HD for Switch exists so I'm just gonna stick with MPT on Wii U :(

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not a remake or it wouldn't have been ready since some time last year. They don't even need to be remade at all. Dolphin remasters look amazing.
Very true. I hope they do some QoL changes and not just a straight port...scratch that, I just hope the MPT release is real!
Also, I don't know why people are saying 2023/2024 release for MP4. I could see Retro having it done by 2021/22, it depends on how long ago they were greenlit with the go-ahead.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This is getting too hectic now. So much different info from different insiders from different sources.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they delay MPT out if it's done?

Now that the holidays have passed this entire quarter is dead for Nintendo games.
January had Travis Strikes Again and NSMBUDX, March has Yoshi's Crafted World. The only dead month is February, which still might have something if a Direct comes around soon enough. Furthermore if MPT exists we still don't know when it's planned to come out.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Why not announce it with this news then? It seems like a perfect oppertunity to go "We understand you are dissapointed about the wait. In the mean time, we've prepared a remaster of the original trilogy and hope it can help tide you over while we make 4 the best game it can be".

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand MPT would be a nice way to say sorry for the delay of MP4. And the sooner we get it the happier I'll be.

On the other hand it makes very little sense to use a trilogy port as a promotional tactic for a sequel that is 3 years away at least. So a delay for the MPT makes more "business sense"

I hope they release it sooner rather than later personally. I need my metroid fix and switch ain't scratching it.

Maybe by the time MP4 is incoming they can promote it by putting Zero Mission and Fusion on Nintendo's Gameflix service.

It will probably take just as long for us to get GBA games. Be a great way to kick-off the advent of both.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Why not announce it with this news then? It seems like a perfect oppertunity to go "We understand you are dissapointed about the wait. In the mean time, we've prepared a remaster of the original trilogy and hope it can help tide you over while we make 4 the best game it can be".
Because this wasn't meant to be a direct at all, just a specific announcement for this.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why not announce it with this news then? It seems like a perfect oppertunity to go "We understand you are dissapointed about the wait. In the mean time, we've prepared a remaster if the original trilogy and hope it can help tide you over while we make 4 the best game it can be".
Because announcing Metroid Prime Trilogy in conjunction with bad news means people are instead going to focus on the bad news, and it'll also taint the announcement of what Nintendo hopes to be good news.

Not announcing Prime Trilogy right now was the best option. Let people come to to terms with this announcement, then once people have accepted it, announce Prime Trilogy, most likely in the upcoming Direct if they're planning on releasing it soon.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

You don't announce good news on a random Friday the week before your earnings call. That's when you bury bad news.

Today's announcement was not a Nintendo Direct. Today's announcement is not something Nintendo wants us to focus on at all. They're getting it out of the way now, because next week they would have had to say something anyway, and next week they want everyone to focus on their great quarterly numbers and great 2019 pipeline, not the troubled development of one title.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Lots of people saying "why not release Prime Trilogy now since this quarter is dead?"

1) This quarter isn't dead. 2D Mario, one of Nintendo's best-selling franchises ever, just came out. Yoshi is out in March. Neither of these games are sales slouches. February is dead, but...

2) This quarter is still going to be heavily driven by Smash Bros. and Pokemon, just like how Jan-March last year were driven by Mario Kart, Zelda, and Mario Odyssey. It might make sense to save Metroid Prime for later in the year when the slew of big evergreens start to lose their impact.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except for NSMB DX and Mario & Luigi in January, Yo-kai Watch in February, and Yoshi in March, you mean?
Well, i meant Switch. NSMB DX is out, Yo-Kai isn't made or published by Nintendo and I honestly forgot about Yoshi.

There's plenty of room for more choices on the system. The worst thing about having to rely mostly on Nintendo to deliver new AAA games is that you have to like the franchise or genre of the month or too bad.

Lots of people saying "why not release Prime Trilogy now since this quarter is dead?"

1) This quarter isn't dead. 2D Mario, one of Nintendo's best-selling franchises ever, just came out. Yoshi is out in March. Neither of these games are sales slouches. February is dead, but...

2) This quarter is still going to be heavily driven by Smash Bros. and Pokemon, just like how Jan-March last year were driven by Mario Kart, Zelda, and Mario Odyssey. It might make sense to save Metroid Prime for later in the year when the slew of big evergreens start to lose their impact.
Yeah but note the dearth of titles for the Shooter/FPA genres.

Diversity!

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They had no problem announcing MUA3 the same night. If MPT wasn't revealed at TGA it's because Nintendo didn't want to reveal it then (or it doesn't exist).

I don't think something as insignificant as a port of a 10 year old collection would have distracted from Smash.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can see a Trilogy unveil at E3 with an imminent summer release two months later not unlike what whappened with Metroid Samus Returns.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
You know what? I'm tired of these people always coming out with stuff like these after an announcement has been made, it's just like Persona 5, after Joker was announced for Smash suddenly some insiders know for sure a port is coming for switch. I'm not buying it, why is he getting all this info just today?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe, but then by that point yoshi and FE will have been out, and AC, pokemon, and luigis mansion coming.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I can see a Trilogy unveil at E3 with an imminent summer release two months later not unlike what whappened with Metroid Samus Returns.
That'd conveniently fall right around the 10-year anniversary of the Wii trilogy release.

Maybe, but then by that point yoshi and FE will have been out, and AC, pokemon, and luigis mansion coming.

There are four other months in the year besides January, Feb, March, and whatever months those other five games drop in.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I sure hope a Trilogy release is in the vein of Wind Waker HD, with numerous quality of life improvements and totally redone lighting, not just a straight upres with new textures. Gimme something worth playing again, whoever's making it. If you're making it. You've got plenty of time now.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That'd conveniently fall right around the 10-year anniversary of the Wii trilogy release.

There are four other months in the year besides January, Feb, March, and whatever months those other five games drop in.
Well 9 months taking away the first three, and that's 5 other games we know for sure, and 2d zelda is seeming very likely, so that is 6.