• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MPT Switch was originally supposed to launch in February 2019; but I'm guessing that it was pushed back when Yoshi's Crafted World went through development hell, got delayed and messed up Nintendo's internal schedule...

Likewise, NSMBUdx was supposed to come out much earlier in 2018 and was finished a LONG time ago (I heard about it all the way back in September 2017!); so that delay was also probably a result of YCW...

What I really want to know though, is what the hell has been going on with Retro!? They had TWO projects that were supposed to have been released by now! (One being a joint project with NST and the other being one on their own...)

This reads like you just took a bunch of rumors and insider information over the years as fact without verifying whether or not it's true.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Nintendo has been pretty consistent having a big Nintendo-published game a month since the first few months of the Switch's release so I expect this year will be no different. We had NSMBU DX this month so I would expect an early Feb direct with a lot of dates for the year with MPT being one of them.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That has no incidence on the developer though, just on the lore.
Just like in the past, any developer can follow the lore another developer has expanded upon.

edit: and again, I think MS will do another Metroid, but that has absolutely no link with Samus Returns' ending.
Metroid has split lore, though, and only Sakamoto makes main-story games. Metroid 5 will definitely be a Sakamoto game.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Not true at all. Motion controls for shooters are always vastly superior to shooters with dual analog. Much more accurate.

while i agree that motion is more accurate than dual sticks can be(still think it NEEDS to have dual stick controls to work in handheld mode ofc), but it will never beat the IR pointer of the wii.

At this point im even wondering if MP4 will be a switch(exclusive) title anymore or that is skipping the switch entirely. Dont forget that this will probably take 3 to 4 years at best with the current state retro being much smaller that the OG team. That puts us in 2023/2024 meaning year 7 of the switch.

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The Wii U release was just a digital version of the Wii release, running via back compatibility

Also, yeah, Metroid Prime HD would be really goddamn nice. Preferably with the option to use modern controls, original controls, or motion controls. Give the choice.
We already have access to native GameCube controllers too... So that'd be nice

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
No way, especially for ports. What would happen if a 3D World port and Galaxy port were finished around the same time? Should those two games be launched a week apart? What if they happened to be completed at the same time Mario Odyssey was completed? All three released on the same day in July?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nintendo were sitting on fully ready Prime Trilogy, 3D World, Galaxy 1+2 HD, Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD ports and already know which dates over the next three years that they want to drop each one.
We know they do for sure because of the Chinese NVidia shield versions of TP and Mario Galaxy

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You mean gyro? Gyro controls supplement dual stick controls and can be turned off. I have no problem with them.

Motion controls are the waving your dick at the screen garbage the Wii and PS Move used.

Motion Controls for shooters were and have always been far, far better than duel analog sticks.

We would have been better off if Sony and MS adopted IR sensor aiming. People always bitch about motion control aiming, but casually ignore that developers literally have to put cheats into the game to make up for how inaccurate analog sticks are

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It makes zero sense to me to save all of the Metroid games for one time period. Why realase Prime Trilogy and Prime 4 close together? Put out Trilogy soonish to hold people over and then release Metroid Prime 4 when it's ready. Give people some time to miss Metroid again instead of dumping them all out near each other.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Prime Trilogy is more along the lines of Wind Waker HD rather than Twilight Princess HD.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
There'll probably be some other Metroid-related releases before MP4. Metroid Prime Trilogy remastered, or the rumored Mercury Steam Metroid game for Switch.
I own the trilogy and still haven't gotten around Mercury's 3DS game. I'll be happy to skip Switch if Prime 4 takes too long and releases on their next console as well like Zelda did. All these games will eventually be re-released anyways and I have a huge backlog.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what have we having on AAA nintendo game in 2019? Animal Crossing, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Luigi mansion 3 and that's it I think

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
while i agree that motion is more accurate than dual sticks can be(still think it NEEDS to have dual stick controls to work in handheld mode ofc), but it will never beat the IR pointer of the wii.

At this point im even wondering if MP4 will be a switch(exclusive) title anymore or that is skipping the switch entirely. Dont forget that this will probably take 3 to 4 years at best with the current state retro being much smaller that the OG team. That puts us in 2023/2024 meaning year 7 of the switch.

3-4 years from late 2018 is not 2024.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
3-4 years from late 2018 is not 2024.
They only pitched a demo, its not like actual development is being done. Maybe some storyboarding, artwork ect. My guess is that they go to full production after they finished they project they are working on right now(whatever it is). It really doesnt sound like MP4 from retro was pitched in september/october.tho. Hope im wrong ofc, but stil taking into account your timeframe of late 2018 would still push it past 2021/22 if development is going smooth and retro has a good number of devs by then.

It really sounds like a last minute desission based on probably a demo of some sort. But yea namco bandai and the presumable idea to let multiple namco studios make the game backfired big time. BC even for nintendo this is unprecedented, so they must have really fucked it up.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm and why retro pitched a demo for nintendo?

Did nintendo asked or they heard the dev is in trouble and made it? So many questions...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They only pitched a demo, its not like actual development is being done. Maybe some storyboarding, artwork ect. My guess is that they go to full production after they finished they project they are working on right now(whatever it is). It really doesnt sound like MP4 from retro was pitched in september/october.tho. Hope im wrong ofc, but stil taking into account your timeframe of late 2018 would still push it past 2021/22 if development is going smooth and retro has a good number of devs by then.
3 years would be early 2022. I could for sure see earlyish 2022 if things go really good.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Imrans tweet about announcing MPT would seem to suggest that Nintendo meant to showcase it in a Direct alongside MP4 as sort of a companion announcement.

If MPT would be announced a month ago, it wouldn't be at a Direct. It would have been announced at TGA, just as quite a few people suggested it would at the time.

But I think it's still a big chance the MPT announcement will come at the next Direct. To me, the MP4 announcement today, and the Smash 2.0 update arriving "within 7 days" suggests the Direct might be next week.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
3 years would be early 2022. I could for sure see earlyish 2022 if things go really good.
Well it all really depends on multiple things, one being is there any talent left at retro or is is basically nintendos "rare" studio. Totally not saying that retro is incompetent, but they havent released a game in 5 years and they havent shown anything about their current project.

Does retro need to make a new engine from scratch, its not like they can use the mp3 engine and be done. Mp3 was released more than 10 years ago, in the SD era. And although the art still looks fine, it would really help development if they have a engine that is HD ready to go.

Wasnt namco bandai rumored to use UE4 for MP4?

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I am starting to be skeptical about the supposed trilogy
I mean, after today message it would have been simple but great to announce the trilogy for, let's say, this year
But nope..
So..
I am not sure it actually exists

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I think they'd want it in the fiscal year ending March 2022 for sure. Whether it's a holiday 2021 tentpole or an early 2022 title likely depends on how development goes and what other titles Nintendo has close to releasing then (Retro's last game was delayed until Q1 for strategic reasons).

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm and why retro pitched a demo for nintendo?

Did nintendo asked or they heard the dev is in trouble and made it? So many questions...
I mean, it's possible they knew there were problems with the game but most studios do that all the time with several IPs.

Next Level Games did the same some time ago (prior to FF) and Nintendo rejected what the team showed to them.

In an old interview someone from Retro said Nintendo gave them the choice to pick between Metroid and DK.
They said they love Metroid and that they still wanted to work on the series but they had so many ideas left for Tropical Freeze they picked the DK series instead.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well it all really depends on multiple things, one being is there any talent left at retro or is is basically nintendos "rare" studio. Totally not saying that retro is incompetent, but they havent released a game in 5 years and they havent shown anything about their current project.

Does retro need to make a new engine from scratch, its not like they can use the mp3 engine and be done. Mp3 was released more than 10 years ago, in the SD era. And although the art still looks fine, it would really help development if they have a engine that is HD ready to go.

Wasnt namco bandai rumored to use UE4 for MP4?
Well, for one they absolutely still have tons of talent and a bunch left from the prime days. And it's seeming likely that they were making one game, bur scrapped it in like 2015, and started starfox in 2016.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't see a scenario where Nintendo accepts Retro's late-2018 pitch and says "see you in five years!" Nintendo has already set a lot of money on fire for this project and Metroid isn't known for topping the sales charts.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played the Metroid Prime games so I'd be down to buy the trilogy.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'd want it in the fiscal year ending March 2022 for sure. Whether it's a holiday 2021 tentpole or an early 2022 title likely depends on how development goes and what other titles Nintendo has close to releasing then (Retro's last game was delayed until Q1 for strategic reasons).

I just don't see a scenario where Nintendo accepts Retro's pitch and says "see you in five years!"
I agree obviously they aren't forcing any time crunch, but I don't think they want prime 4 going into the mid 2020's.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I mean, after today message it would have been simple but great to announce the trilogy for, let's say, this year
But nope..
So..
I do not think it's a good idea that at the same time that bad news are given, try to associate it with a good one.

I think it's better to wait for a Direct.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Make of it what you will, but I've heard a couple of things that conflict with this stuff. One thing I've heard pretty definitively, for example, is that neither a Metroid Prime trilogy nor a Metroid Prime 4 announcement were ever planned for The Game Awards.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
But nope..
So..

Nothing prevents them to make such an announcement on another day.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
But nope..
So..

My only reason to believe this is that Nintendo Software & Technology finished working on Captain Toad 3DS port, and they do mostly ports these days so i hope this next one is MPT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Software_Technology

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
But nope..
So..
Let the "bad" news settle, let the realisation that Retro is taking the project cement itself as a positive thing in people's minds, then announce trilogy for everyone to really appreciate how great that news actually is. It's coming in a direct.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Make of it what you will, but I've heard a couple of things that conflict with this stuff. One thing I've heard pretty definitively, for example, is that neither a Metroid Prime trilogy nor a Metroid Prime 4 announcement were ever planned for The Game Awards.

Is Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch done and Nintendo is just sitting on it?