• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the Analogue Pocket, are there any other devices that let you play GBC/GBA games on an HDTV?
Handhelds, not sure. The RG350 lin has some unofficial firmware plugins that lets the HDMI slot be used but ymmv with that

Non handheld wise there are loads

The most popular being a Raspeberry Pi with retropie/lakka installed
Then you have various emulation consoles that can do it with actual carts, like the Retrofreak
Then you have the GBA consolizer which takes the hardware of an actual GBA and turns it into an actual console.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, please shut me up if dumb: Is a hacked Vita definitely better than any other of the handheld examples mentioned here?

I really want to get into this, but shy away from adding yet another device to my household. And my Vita's catching dust rapidly. Should I just have a go at that?
I've only used mine for SNES emulation but I believe it can do quite a bit. I reckon you should try it first, before adding another device to your collection.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Quick question, please shut me up if dumb: Is a hacked Vita definitely better than any other of the handheld examples mentioned here?

I really want to get into this, but shy away from adding yet another device to my household. And my Vita's catching dust rapidly. Should I just have a go at that?
GBA is likely to be slightly better on all the handhelds based on the Odroid Go Advance since they use MGBA instead of GPSP, SNES might be better too since the Vita needs to use a fairly old version ofSNES9x which still doesn't run special chip games at full speed and introduces some audio issues. The Retroid Pocket also has pretty decent N64 and DS emulation which can't be done on the Vita. Outside of those everything else should be similar if not better (PS1 & PSP) on the Vita.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020

The Vita may actually have slightly worse emulation for older systems (I think GBA isn't perfect, and I think SNES SuperFX games can't run perfectly) but it does have access to Sony's PS1 emulator and native PSP compatibility, which is something these retro portables cannot match. Also a much, much better OLED screen than any retro portable and very nice controls and build quality.

Besides the Analogue Pocket, are there any other devices that let you play GBC/GBA games on an HDTV?
Do you mean a dedicated device like the GBA Consolizer or do you just mean any retro portable with HDMI out?

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
I really wish there was a bit more space at the bottom to hold hold it. Maybe same size as the screen. Heck, make it a foldable like GBA SP!
As I said, this shows that vertical handhelds are making a comeback.

obscurehandhelds.com

PowKiddy V90 Review

The PowKiddy V90 is a new clam shell retro handheld for playing all your old Mega Drive, GBA and SNES games. Come on over and read the PowKiddy V90 review.
I ordered the PowKiddy V90 for some Gameboy Advance nostalgia. It's like 30 bucks.

9DPgNy1.jpg

It's supposed to be pretty good for SNES, Megadrive and GBA, which is all I care about right now. But definitely thinking about getting the RG351P or the Retroid Pocket 2.. or whatever they come up with in the coming months. This market is super saturated! Taki Udon and Retro Dodo are pretty great channels to keep up with what is worth buying.

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
I just got a refund because I never received the PowKiddy V90. :( Might order it again somewhere else... or maybe I'll get a beefier machine.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I already have an Analogue Pocket on preorder, but I want another one besides that for non-GB family content.

I'm currently stuck deciding between the RG350M and RG351P. Premium metal body and higher res screen that's slightly larger for 4:3 content, or faster hardware and slightly lower price. Does anyone have both by any chance?

I guess the Retroid Pocket 2 is also under consideration, though I don't particularly like Android as an emulator ecosystem due to the higher inherent input lag.

Anything else that should be on my list? I mainly want good performance up to PSX and dual shoulder buttons. Don't actually care much about analog sticks.
I was worried about lag as well. But have found it hasn't been an issue with the rp2.
If you are sensitive to lag I've found using stand alone emulators for GBA, SNES & NES works pretty well and I prefer it to trying to do everything in Retroarch.

As I did find some snes games just felt slightly off when played via Retroarch. Also the Snes core in RA has very few tweakable options.
I would be really interested to know if the Retroid Pocket can handle the run-ahead option in Retroarch to reduce latency. If so, it could end up being the option with the least perceived input lag

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
I just got a refund because I never received the PowKiddy V90. :( Might order it again somewhere else... or maybe I'll get a beefier machine.
RIP Powkiddy :(

But you can get it for $45 from Amazon if you really want it, naturally the price changes the calculus on it quite a bit, but at least shipping is included.

Also there's custom firmware that is supposed to help with the screen tearing issues.

Good find! I was afraid of that. Good to know it works for NES at least. Maybe the Retroid Pocket 3 will be beefy enough to handle SNES run-ahead (and a newer android version hopefully). It's only a matter of time
I mean maybe, but it's not like these devices get exponentially more powerful with each revision. The Retroid Pocket 2 uses the same CPU as the original. Sometimes product lines even go backwards in power.

We have to keep in mind that these are cheap devices with the CPU power of a flagship phone from 9 years ago and the RAM of a flagship phone from 19 years ago. Through optimization they are able to punch well above their weight, but for things that require raw CPU or RAM they will fall short.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I mean maybe, but it's not like these devices get exponentially more powerful with each revision. The Retroid Pocket 2 uses the same CPU as the original. Sometimes product lines even go backwards in power.

We have to keep in mind that these are cheap devices with the CPU power of a flagship phone from 9 years ago and the RAM of a flagship phone from 19 years ago. Through optimization they are able to punch well above their weight, but for things that require raw CPU or RAM they will fall short.
I know you're right, but for now I will keep dreaming lol. Right now it seems like if you want that kind of power in a dedicated handheld, a Raspberry Pi 4 based solution like the PiBoy DMG is your best bet (or an Android phone with a controller, but where's the fun in that?)

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I would be really interested to know if the Retroid Pocket can handle the run-ahead option in Retroarch to reduce latency. If so, it could end up being the option with the least perceived input lag
I played around with run ahead briefly on ps1 and it effected performance. Though I didn't test it thourghly. When I get a chance I'll give it a go with older systems.

Though to be honest as someone bothered by lag, I did notice it in some snes games in Retroarch as well as in the gba only Retroarch. Some games i played alot of just felt off.
So I'm much happier with results using stand alone emulators.
I'm also using stand alone for nes as I find audio had quite a few issues in Retroarch. With a little testing and tinkering I'm sure people can find a set up that works.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
If you think about it, the new Nintendo Super Mario Bros Game & Watch is essentially their first retro portable

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Just bought a Redroid Pocket 2 (16 bit US version).

As in you just ordered it, or just received it? If it's the former, then just a heads up - it might be a while before you receive it depending on the color you get. I ordered the all Black one on Sept 13th, and it just shipped about a week ago and I still haven't received it. I ordered another one, but in Blue, on October 1st - and I just got the shipping confirmation yesterday.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
As in you just ordered it, or just received it? If it's the former, then just a heads up - it might be a while before you receive it depending on the color you get. I ordered the all Black one on Sept 13th, and it just shipped about a week ago and I still haven't received it. I ordered another one, but in Blue, on October 1st - and I just got the shipping confirmation yesterday.

Ordered it. 16 Bit version (US).

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer for my retroid. The notification about dhl closing down routes went up just as it was supposed to be shipped.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
You got more info on this??? Mine just shipped out last night finally

Nope, there was a bar at the top of the page but it's gone now. Still hasn't shipped though. I've just contacted support, maybe they can tell me something.

Edit: huh, just got the shipping confirmation mail. Really hyped for this thing, I've been dying to play some of my old favourites again!

Edit #2: Wow, according to the tracking site it shipped on Nov. 7 and it's aready in the EU. Looks like I may get it sooner than I thought.

Last edited:

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Remember how I said verticals were making a comeback?

Forget the RG 280V, the new RGB 20 from known terribad brand PowKiddy is now the first vertical retro portable using the same chip as the RG 351P (instead of the slower chip used in the 350 and 280):

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
I already have an Analogue Pocket on preorder, but I want another one besides that for non-GB family content.

I'm currently stuck deciding between the RG350M and RG351P. Premium metal body and higher res screen that's slightly larger for 4:3 content, or faster hardware and slightly lower price. Does anyone have both by any chance?

I guess the Retroid Pocket 2 is also under consideration, though I don't particularly like Android as an emulator ecosystem due to the higher inherent input lag.

Anything else that should be on my list? I mainly want good performance up to PSX and dual shoulder buttons. Don't actually care much about analog sticks.

If you only want up to PSX, I'd go for the 350M. Higher quality, better screen

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Remember how I said verticals were making a comeback?

Forget the RG 280V, the new RGB 20 from known terribad brand PowKiddy is now the first vertical retro portable using the same chip as the RG 351P (instead of the slower chip used in the 350 and 280):

This one looks really cool. I hate the color/fake famicon plate and $90 feels too expensive, but maybe there will be a nicer looking one for closer to $50 down the road.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I just got my retroid pocket 2 and been playing around with it and the performance is kinda terrible? I'm not expecting it to run dreamcast games or anything but getting problem even with basic console like SNES. I tried all kind of core in retro arch and can't find one that runs well

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I just got my retroid pocket 2 and been playing around with it and the performance is kinda terrible? I'm not expecting it to run dreamcast games or anything but getting problem even with basic console like SNES. I tried all kind of core in retro arch and can't find one that runs well
What sort of problems are you having?
As nice as having everything in something like Retroarch is, I found some systems just work better with stand alone emulators.
GBA - ditch the older version of RA just for gba and look at MyBoy
SNES - use the older build of Snes9x EX (not +). + is more accurate and has less glitches but is slower in some games

In RA turn off the rewind function and make sure shaders are off. I also had more issues with Nes and Snes in Retroarch awhile ps1 runs quite well.
I'm pretty happy with over all performance now.

Last edited:

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
What sort of problems are you having?
As nice as having everything in something like Retroarch is, I found some systems just work better with stand alone emulators.
GBA - ditch the older version of RA just for gba and look at MyBoy
SNES - use the older build of Snes9x EX (not +). + is more accurate and has less glitches but is slower in some games

In RA turn off the rewind function and make sure shaders are off. I also had more issues with Nes and Snes in Retroarch awhile ps1 runs quite well.
I'm pretty happy with over all performance now.
I'm trying to play through dracula X on the snes and every core except snes 2002 has slow down. Snes 2002 work ok but the sound is not perfect. Also tested different cores with Lufia and non of them work well. I was trying to avoid the standalone app but I guess I'll need to go for snes9x ex

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to play through dracula X on the snes and every core except snes 2002 has slow down. Snes 2002 work ok but the sound is not perfect. Also tested different cores with Lufia and non of them work well. I was trying to avoid the standalone app but I guess I'll need to go for snes9x ex
Fair enough on wanting to avoid standalone approach.
Yeah sound was my biggest issue with Nes & Snes in RA and why I went stand alone. My other issue is the cores for Snes in RA have no extra per core options (no audio or video) to play with. Awhile the core for ps1 allows for a lot more tweaking to work how you want it.
Awhile stand alone allows for more options sometimes but not as tidy.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
My friend lent me his RG350M and I'm pretty happy with it. D-pad is decent, build quality feels great, I like the screen, and most emulators seem to have good scaling options which was one of my major concerns with it.

Interestingly the screen still seems to be recognized as 320x240 by many emulators, based on the image size I'm seeing when I choose non-scaling video modes. Totally fine since it's just a 2x2 upscale, just not what I expected.

I'm going to try some PSX on this and then swap it back to him and try out his Retroid Pocket 2 next, then I'll make a decision.

Also, I had kind of counted the RG351P out due to not liking the 3:2 screen, but hearing there's a RetroArch build for it makes me reconsider. I'd much rather use that than the gaggle of assorted Dingux emulators, even if some of the cores are the same.

CFW'd Vita remains the dark horse candidate that isn't a dedicated retro handheld. I very much like the idea of native PSP/PSX mode there.

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The RGB 20 really is just a tall RG351P in everything but the second analog huh? The notch for shoulder buttons looks odd and I imagine the overall ergonomics are worse, but it's neat to see these evolving into new shapes.

Now if only someone would go big on the screen and make something that's more PSP/Vita form factor.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Just a little update on my rp2 and some random thoughts.

- Overall happy with my set up now and that i bought it.

- I've cleaned up my home screen to exactly what i want, so mouse mode is hardly needed.

- Very happy with ps1 performance, some games that are less 3d heavy can run with the enhanced resolution option that renders at x2 res. Stuff like ff7, ff9 and parasite Eve for example. Has slow down at times but for less action-y games it is ok. This option can definitely tank most game though but makes a very nice visual difference.

- The systems that I had the most issues with were nes and snes. Mainly sound (nes), visual glitches and slight lag (snes in some games). Ended up going stand alone.

- Sound is the single most glitchy thing across a bunch of systems in RA and you can really hear it when it struggles.

- I don't do huge gaming sessions but if I use it for too long my hand does cramp up due to the machines size. Though this also happens to me if I use the switch for too long. I clearly do not have hand held friendly sized hands.

- The controls all feel pretty good for me. Dpad+LHS stick are lot less stiff now than when I first got them. Shoulder buttons are nice.

- RHS (digital) is handy for apps that allow it to be mapped. Down for save state, Right for quick load, Left for Fast Forward etc. But wouldn't be ideal for game play I think.

- I have spend way too long setting up and testing and keen to actually use it... to play games ;)

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
There are plenty of large screen retro portables but you can't get a large screen, cheap, quality portable. You either pay more or you get something like this:

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent a ton of time during the pandemic setting up my n3ds as my ultimate emulation machine which I'm loving. But what I really want to supplement it is something handheld that can run n64/Ps2/dreamcast games really smooth, the 3ds caps out at ps1 and a lot of those games are dodgy.

Would I be better off getting a used Vita?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
There are plenty of large screen retro portables but you can't get a large screen, cheap, quality portable. You either pay more or you get something like this:
You sure can. You just have to be a bit more inventive :P.

- Grab something like Samsung A01, A11, A21 or another similar Snapdragon based Android phone in the 400 series or 600/700 series like say Moto G, random LG or Realme/Oppo/Xiaomi phone. Preferably one with more modern Android (9.0 or higher is preferable just for ongoing support, but 8.x will work as well).
- Grab one of those "stretch" controllers
- Enjoy faster performance, nicer screen and better support vs any of these handhelds

ETA Prime's review of A01 Samsung - $60

Review of Moto G. That's more expensive, but that's just an example. $200 (can be had for less on sale)

Review of Moto G Optimo Maxx ($100 or less)

Example controller (bunch of similar ones on Amazon):

Amazon.com: XFUNY Mobile Game Controller, Telescopic Wireless Bluetooth Controller Gamepad for Android Phone, with Flexible Joystick (Blue+Red): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: XFUNY Mobile Game Controller, Telescopic Wireless Bluetooth Controller Gamepad for Android Phone, with Flexible Joystick (Blue+Red): Computers & Accessories

ipega that's good for large phones:
There are better controllers if you would pay a bit more, but these ones are fine.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Yes, I'm well aware, here's ETA Prime covering a small $30 android tablet (can't get any cheaper) that can handle some N64 and Dreamcast, making it pretty close to the most powerful dedicated retro portables:

I just meant in context Orayn was talking about CN handhelds specifically

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I've spent a ton of time during the pandemic setting up my n3ds as my ultimate emulation machine which I'm loving. But what I really want to supplement it is something handheld that can run n64/Ps2/dreamcast games really smooth, the 3ds caps out at ps1 and a lot of those games are dodgy.

vita is fantastic and the best option IMO for psp/ps1

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland

Vita is worse for SNES (generally worse performance in special chip games and worse sound) , GBA (some minor incompatibility issues (Kingdom hearts) and it requires an overclock to get full speed in some games, though it has much better scaling) and I think some later arcade games. It does have way better performance for PS1 though, as well as giving access to the PSP and Vita libraries so it's still definitely worth picking up.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
vita is fantastic and the best option IMO for psp/ps1
Vita is worse for SNES (generally worse performance in special chip games and worse sound) , GBA (some minor incompatibility issues (Kingdom hearts) and it requires an overclock to get full speed in some games, though it has much better scaling) and I think some later arcade games. It does have way better performance for PS1 though, as well as giving access to the PSP and Vita libraries so it's still definitely worth picking up.
thanks! I will probably go the Vita route, I'll stick with the 3ds for all nintendo consoles, being able to inject my backups into Virtual Console is too handy!