• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Did you regret buying it? And did you regret not getting the rg350m?
If you read my wall of text(!) you should hopefully see I am pretty happy with it :) but was just trying to share any things that stood out to me.

Definitely do not regret buying it, for the price it feels pretty good and works well. I also personally like the shoulder layout over the other options out there.
It does take a bit of set up (which I enjoy) and isn't as pick up and play compared to other machines due to android/retroarch.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever tried getting a refund for the Retroid Pocket 2 before it's shipped? I'm still thinking whether I should get it or not and it's going to be very expensive for me.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Is it powerful enough to use the "run-ahead" feature on Retroarch to reduce input latency?

I haven't messed around with the latency options with Snes in RA yet.
Stand alone wise from quick tests SNES EX (not EX+) seems to run most games quite well.
But I am trying to avoid getting bogged down in endless testing and actually just play games :)

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I haven't messed around with the latency options with Snes in RA yet.
Stand alone wise from quick tests SNES EX (not EX+) seems to run most games quite well.
But I am trying to avoid getting bogged down in endless testing and actually just play games :)
I feel you lol. If the latency becomes noticeable to you, might be worth a try! Share your results if you do please

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone have an opinion on the RG351P? I was going to get the RG350M but decided against it.

I'm now at a cross-road in trying to determine as to whether the 350P or 351P is worth getting.

I'm leaning towards the 351P, if only because it's more powerful, and will play SNES, MegaDrive, Arcade, and PS1 games "perfectly". But I also know that its screen is pretty awful for retro games.

So should I get the 350P or 351P?

Also, does anyone know as to when we are due a hardware refresh of the 351P, or when Anbernic will release the next generation of handhelds?

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone have an opinion on the RG351P? I was going to get the RG350M but decided against it.

I'm now at a cross-road in trying to determine as to whether the 350P or 351P is worth getting.

I'm leaning towards the 351P, if only because it's more powerful, and will play SNES, MegaDrive, Arcade, and PS1 games "perfectly". But I also know that its screen is pretty awful for retro games.

So should I get the 350P or 351P?

Also, does anyone know as to when we are due a hardware refresh of the 351P, or when Anbernic will release the next generation of handhelds?

I just got the 351P. I like it! I got it mainly for GBA games, and it does great at them, mostly. My main tests are the rhythm battles in Mother 3 and just Rhythm Tengoku, those both work fine in GPSP. Some games require different emulators though, and different systems need different kinds of optimizations. It's been kind of a chore sorting through the various settings to make things just so, and there are basic things I still haven't figured out. Like, I can access Lynx games through Retroarch and they play and look great, but I can't figure out how to add them to the menu.

Also, I've had this problem a couple of times where I try to make a save state and it just won't do it, and then I can't quit the program either, and I just get a never-ending progress bar. Currently on a fresh install on a new SD card, and I'm being extra careful about which settings I alter, as this error seems to occur after I alter the ext4 partition from my computer. It's a weird, glitchy mess of a thing and the software is definitely cobbled together, but I really do enjoy using it.

Anyway, I've found that some of the shaders keep the images in less mathematically optimized aspect ratios looking surprisingly crisp. It took me a while to find them, but I like the look of the Sharp Bilinear Filter shader for SNES and Genesis games. A lot of the other options I went through, including the settings within Retroarch, resulted in blurry images and unreadable text, but just leaving everything off and applying the right shader seems to work just fine (Also, use SNES9x 2005 Plus or 2010, the default option has not run well at all for me on any setting). I'd definitely choose this one over the older version, no question. The screen looks great to me, and I wouldn't want it to be any weaker.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
What colour did you pick? I ordered mine on Oct 6, and it arrived Oct 26, which was waaaay quicker than I was expecting. I got the RS1.

RS2 unfortunately, which is the the most delayed SKU Lol. I was pretty close to getting the RS1 at the time too. I ordered a Blue on October 5th as a gift to someone, and that hasn't been shipped either Lol. You got super lucky, because this is the current shipping chart:

www.goretroid.com

Delivery Dashboard

RP4Pro Order Date Shipping Time 16Bit 2024/2/1-2024/2/5 2024/2/5 16Bit US 2024/2/4-2024/2/5 2024/2/5 Black 2024/2/3-2024/2/5 2024/2/5 Crystal 2024/2/3-2024/2/5 2024/2/5 Ice Blue 2024/2/2-2024/2/4 2024/2/5 Watermelon 2024/2/1-2024/2/4 2024/2/5 Special shipping requirements:1. Brazil shipping...

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
haha, same here. I ordered the RS2 and the dashboard says they're currently shipping up 2020/9/4, and I ordered on 2020/9/7 -_-

I ordered the RS2 on 9/21 and got a tracking number on Halloween, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I'm on the East Coast and defaulted to 4PX shipping so I'm still expecting a bit of a wait, but after seeing some photos of the RS2 color I'm satisfied with my choice.

I'm researching Android emulator frontends in he meantime - I want something akin to the Wii /3DS Virtual Console experience where I can just boot up and pick a retro game by title instead of going into some flashy menu and sorting by console. Hoping the Android 8 update (the beta for which just came out) will be more fleshed out by the time I get mine.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like my Retroid Pocket but I hate navigating between apps on Android with the stick all depending on what console I want to play. It all feels really janky.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
huh, maybe it's something to do with where it's shipping to. The dashboard says all second batch orders should ship this week, so we'll see, I guess

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
I have a 350m and I kinda hate it? It's really heavy compared to most other portables and the buttons & dpad require more force than you'd think to actuate them. But it does have a glorious screen and it's actually in a good aspect ratio.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Yeah it's nice to see a new vertically oriented portable, it doesn't look quite as nice as the playdate clone but at least it's aesthetics aren't stolen from playdate and it should perform much better as well. Sometimes less is more when it comes to ultimate portability.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got to admit that the screen looks really nice but when is small too small? Screen size looks like it came straight from the dumb phones

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Got to admit that the screen looks really nice but when is small too small? Screen size looks like it came straight from the dumb phones
Yeah, good point. They can't get smaller right?
Me playing the follow up, the even smaller RG281VX-SML...
sGOJaEk.gif

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I mean people are trying to put games on smartwatches heh
It's based on the original NES, which for me looks rusty but the silver one looks neat
Yeah the famicom look is why I like it, the ][ and ][][ controller numbers are pretty iconic.
Interesting looking piece of kit which ever way.

Using the RP2 I am very interested in where we are at a year or so from now with these devices.
Some PS1 games almost pull off rendering at x2 res. Which makes it all look so much nicer and clean but the hardware just isn't able to pull it off at constant frame rate. Maybe the RP3 will pull it off ;)

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Actually my comment about the look and the color is for Metal Gear?! Lol but anyway

Yeah the famicom look is why I like it, the ][ and ][][ controller numbers are pretty iconic.
Interesting looking piece of kit which ever way.

Using the RP2 I am very interested in where we are at a year or so from now with these devices.
Some PS1 games almost pull off rendering at x2 res. Which makes it all look so much nicer and clean but the hardware just isn't able to pull it off at constant frame rate. Maybe the RP3 will pull it off ;)
Not sure if they can make a more powerful Retroid Pocket or generally these retro portables, because I think there is a clear divide between the cheap stuff which use old chips for emulation and the expensive stuff which go are Android hybrids and then you have Win that has these as full blown laptops in a very portable form factor

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Actually my comment about the look and the color is for Metal Gear?! Lol but anyway

Not sure if they can make a more powerful Retroid Pocket or generally these retro portables, because I think there is a clear divide between the cheap stuff which use old chips for emulation and the expensive stuff which go are Android hybrids and then you have Win that has these as full blown laptops in a very portable form factor

Weird it had me quoted twice in your reply ;)

Yeah I get you, the price of entry is super important.
But more about how something like the rp2, which has I think 2012-ish(?) tech in it. Runs game better than retro handhelds from a few years ago.
So maybe in a year or two from now, I'm in no rush.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
It requires a bit of configuration to get everything working right, but it works well.
This part scares me, as I have often abandoned emulators due to fiddly setup or tech headaches. I have an unused Pi4 because I ran into tech issues.

Are there any systems where setup isn't a headache?

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weird it had me quoted twice in your reply ;)

Yeah I get you, the price of entry is super important.
But more about how something like the rp2, which has I think 2012-ish(?) tech in it. Runs game better than retro handhelds from a few years ago.
So maybe in a year or two from now, I'm in no rush.
Yeah I checked and it was you I replied, honestly the multi-quoting thing on Era is the most cumbersome thing here, heh.

What retro handhelds are you comparing RP2 too? I guess the combination of Android plus the current state of emulators plus being able to update stuff immensely helped it.
This part scares me, as I have often abandoned emulators due to fiddly setup or tech headaches. I have an unused Pi4 because I ran into tech issues.

Are there any systems where setup isn't a headache?
Not really sure what you're after but right now, dedicated Retro Portables are still hit or miss with N64 onwards(with a few hiccups on PSX, but mostly these will run well). Emulators in general, the fiddly ones are the PS2 and Gamecube and beyond.

As for the current crop of devices, Retroid Pocket 2 is the current belle of the ball for the community as it has everything going for it: looks, performance, price.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
As for the current crop of devices, Retroid Pocket 2 is the current belle of the ball for the community as it has everything going for it: looks, performance, price.
The two sd card slots of the RG280m seem like an improvement, and I have never enjoyed using Retroarch. The PC Gamer review of the Retroid Pocket 2 makes it sounds quite fiddly in general.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have a 350m and I kinda hate it? It's really heavy compared to most other portables and the buttons & dpad require more force than you'd think to actuate them. But it does have a glorious screen and it's actually in a good aspect ratio.
Ah, stiff buttons are disappointing. The aspect ratio does seem good, but the YouTube reviewers insist on playing GBA games in stretched view!

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
If I'm looking for the best build quality, most support with best screen, what device should I be looking at?

I've been watching a bunch of ETA Prime videos and to me it seemed like the PiBoy DMG is the way to go, no?

Uses RP4 (powerful), apparent great build quality, Retropie (so great support), and one of the larger screens I've seen. Does anyone have one?

Dream Device: would be PERFECT as a horizontal, widescreen, dual stick portable. Could get those DS games going with widescreen and since it has Steam Link, the dual sticks would do wonders for any other game.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Sounds like your criteria would be better met by a phone+controller than any existing retro portable all-in-one, especially if you're looking for a screen wide enough to display DS screens side by side. The power would be limited only by your budget and powerful android devices absolutely have the most support and best screens, bar none.

Of course, they're not cheap, they cost even more than the PiBoy DMG or other Rasberry Pi based systems.

EDIT: reposting this video

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Ahh seeing all this you are giving me ideas I shouldnt have. All these handhelds look neat - look like something worth considering when travelling (in a distance future). Phone has never been quiet an option as I have an iPhone. Retroid and stuff look awesome, especially the moqi i7s (even though it is quiet expensive).

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I've been looking into these things for about a year now, they really seem to be coming on leaps and bounds.

I've just been holding off, hoping for something that can run dreamcast/PSP level stuff a bit more solidly before I take the plunge.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The two sd card slots of the RG280m seem like an improvement, and I have never enjoyed using Retroarch. The PC Gamer review of the Retroid Pocket 2 makes it sounds quite fiddly in general.
I think if you run Android and just use Retroarch then you'll be golden for the most port but you did mention you never enjoyed it

We will ever get a double screen android console for perfect ds/3ds emulation?

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I love these handhelds! It's nice to find a thread dedicated to them around here. I've been looking on this things since last year or so, but i can't justify buying one just to tinker around more than actually playing on it, lol. Still tempted, though, love how premium the RG350M looks.

We will ever get a double screen android console for perfect ds/3ds emulation?
At that point maybe you should consider picking up a 3ds and install homebrew on it.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I already have an Analogue Pocket on preorder, but I want another one besides that for non-GB family content.

I'm currently stuck deciding between the RG350M and RG351P. Premium metal body and higher res screen that's slightly larger for 4:3 content, or faster hardware and slightly lower price. Does anyone have both by any chance?

I guess the Retroid Pocket 2 is also under consideration, though I don't particularly like Android as an emulator ecosystem due to the higher inherent input lag.

Anything else that should be on my list? I mainly want good performance up to PSX and dual shoulder buttons. Don't actually care much about analog sticks.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Here is a detailed comparison of the RG 351P with the 350M

And here is a long form breakdown of the RG 351P that covers in depth a lot of things other videos have not and compares it to other RG systems and the Retroid Pocket

Note that if you don't care about analog sticks there is the RG 280V previously on this page but it costs just as much as a 351P.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the Retroid Pocket 2 is also under consideration, though I don't particularly like Android as an emulator ecosystem due to the higher inherent input lag.
Lag is not noticeable in my experience with regards to Android but RP2 has another frontend you can switch to if you don't want to use the Android bit

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017

I was worried about lag as well. But have found it hasn't been an issue with the rp2.
If you are sensitive to lag I've found using stand alone emulators for GBA, SNES & NES works pretty well and I prefer it to trying to do everything in Retroarch.

As I did find some snes games just felt slightly off when played via Retroarch. Also the Snes core in RA has very few tweakable options.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
For those who didn't get an analogue pocket, this phone companion is an interesting idea, too bad it has so many usability issues and doesn't support more than Gameboy and Gameboy Color

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Sounds like your criteria would be better met by a phone+controller than any existing retro portable all-in-one, especially if you're looking for a screen wide enough to display DS screens side by side. The power would be limited only by your budget and powerful android devices absolutely have the most support and best screens, bar none.

Of course, they're not cheap, they cost even more than the PiBoy DMG or other Rasberry Pi based systems.

EDIT: reposting this video

Hey sorry, I didn't see this due to it just being a post rather than a reply but I think I agree with you!

I saw that video actually the other day and it opened my eyes a bit.

My phone has a Snapdragon 845 (so still pretty beefy) and can crush almost anything on Retroarch for Android, plus a 6" screen and stock Android...made me consider a Razer Kishi controller and be done with it.

May just do that!

Dayfut

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up I guess. I picked up an rg351p since its on sale for 26% off for 11.11 on aliexpress today from the anbernic storefront there.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I just ordered an RG351p on a whim. I wonder whether I'll like it.

The idea of awkwardly scaled resolutions doesn't worry me too much given the filter options, and my first handheld was a Game Gear, the epitome of awkwardly scaled and filtered visuals.

ImboSlice

Nov 30, 2017
Quick question, please shut me up if dumb: Is a hacked Vita definitely better than any other of the handheld examples mentioned here?

I really want to get into this, but shy away from adding yet another device to my household. And my Vita's catching dust rapidly. Should I just have a go at that?