• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

All of the above are fantastic games or show lots of promise. And the games seem to keep coming, between remasters and new projects such as:
header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

It's a good time to be a 90s FPS fan, and most if not all of these are available or will be available on all platforms. What a time to be alive.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I love that classic style fps games have been something coming back into style in recent years. I used to love fps games but basically abandoned the genre during the mid 00s due to not liking the way the current (at the time) console style fps had become the norm for the genre. These indie games and even bigger budget games like wolfenstein and doom have brought me back into the genre because they offer what I was missing from it. The only other thing I would hope to see is something like a unreal tournament get popular with a ton of mod support that is backed by the community.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Definitely not Ion Fury for me for obvious reasons but the rest yeah absolutely!

Last edited:

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I finished Blood: Fresh Supply recently. Never did play the original; but definitely had fun with the updated re-release, really bizarre game. Also had way more fun with the Turok re-release than I did on the N64, it's just way better with PC controls - feels like a properly fast FPS.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
I read the title and thought you meant Retro Studios inspired FPS and I just realized that there aren't many first person adventure games in the vein of the Metroid Prime games.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved to play Ion Fury, but the people who made it are a bunch of dickbags, so I'm out.

I will pick up Dusk on the Switch when it drops, though. Thanks for putting that one on my radar.

OP
OP
RoboitoAM

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I love that classic style fps games have been something coming back into style in recent years. I used to love fps games but basically abandoned the genre during the mid 00s due to not liking the way the current (at the time) console style fps had become the norm for the genre. These indie games and even bigger budget games like wolfenstein and doom have brought me back into the genre because they offer what I was missing from it. The only other thing I would hope to see is something like a unreal tournament get popular with a ton of mod support that is backed by the community.
Understandable, 90s and early 2000s shooters have an entirely different feel to them that only a couple recent games have evoked (DOOM and Wolfenstein, as you mention).

Unfortunately UT/Quake is more or less dead; Quake Champions is fun enough but it's pretty much dead as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
The newschool revival of classic FPS designs had better continue for at least several years. Beyond these releases, so many people (myself included) are making levels and mods for older games which now have source ports and modding tools capable of making so many crazy ideas a reality.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The newschool revival of classic FPS designs had better continue for at least several years. Beyond these releases, so many people (myself included) are making levels and mods for older games which now have source ports and modding tools capable of making so many crazy ideas a reality.

As someone that's also making a retro fps... I agree

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
DUSK might be one of the best games I've ever played.
I don't want to oversell it, but I have high praise for it too. It's definitely one of the most honest fucking games I've ever played. The trailer sells it perfectly:

"Things have gone wrong."

"Better kill everything." 🤷‍♀️

And that's exactly what you get. Hours of frenetic, vicious carnage and killing with good guns inside great levels. And that's all I really need. I can't wait for the SDK and co-op though, which are fucking delicious cherries on top.

The soundtrack tears ass too.

Aug 28, 2019
Anything popular comes back around after twenty years or so. Early-style FPS is one of my favorite genres, so I'm thrilled that we're finally seeing them start to return. The first wave of throwbacks was kinda disappointing, but we've gotten that out of the way and the genre is hitting its stride again. Here are a couple more:

store.steampowered.com

Hedon Bloodrite on Steam

Zan and her orc blood sisters must fight to save their homeland from the forces of chaos! Immerse yourself in a crystalpunk underworld where the rich lore, atmosphere, exploration and puzzles of classic adventure games blend with the visceral combat of the 90s' shooters.

store.steampowered.com

Save 77% on Project Warlock on Steam

Project Warlock is a first-person shooter that fans of Doom, Hexen, and Wolfenstein cannot miss. It serves you an exploding cocktail of bullets, spells, and monsters. Battle through 60 levels of non-stop action, packed with bloodthirsty enemies and challenging bosses.

I haven't played Warlock, but I can vouch for Hedon. It's a little rough, but it's a good time and boasts some huge levels. Plus, you get to play as some kind of half-orc, half-demon Amazon.

I loved Dusk, but honestly I was a little disappointed in Amid Evil, mainly because many of the weapons are weak or awkward or both. The level design is great, but I just didn't like how the shooting felt. Dusk's weapons were not as creative, but they were punchy and responsive, so combat was excellent.

Shame about Ion Fury, though. Fuck those people forever. Will be skipping Wrath (published by 3DR) for the same reason.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Project Warlock is pretty fun. The level designs are pretty flat and basic but they really nailed the gun play, blasting apart monsters *feels* great.

Dusk is the king though, but once again we get a retro shooter revival thread that ignores OVERLOAD

DO
NOT
SLEEP
ON
OVERLOAD

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Of the big 3 I'd say Dusk is the best playing, Amid Evil is the best looking, and Ion Fury is the most bigoted. Project Warlock is decent, but the levels get very samey in terms of gameplay and eventually you get enough powerups that you can basically hold M1 through a level and win without thinking. Devil Daggers looks like something from the Quake era, but its score mechanic is more reminiscent of the arcade era or the Xbox arcade era. Very fun. I played a demo of Wrath at PAX and loved some of the advanced movement you could pull off. Though the level I saw was fairly boring visually. There is also Overload which isn't a traditional throwback FPS, but instead hearkens back to Descent. It's literally more Descent. If you like those games you'll like Overload. I haven't played any of Prodeus yet, and though I don't care for the visual style, I'm incredibly hopeful for the levels. For those who don't know, they have Joshua 'Dragonfly' O'Sullivan working level design and he did the majority of the recent and incredibly well regarded Doom 2 WAD, Eviternity. If you want to see some of the absolute best levels that have ever been in the Doom engine, play Eviternity.

Oct 25, 2017
I recently played DUSK, and it's such an incredible game.

I'm not touching Ion Fury so whatever with that one, I'll check out the rest eventually.

Aug 28, 2019
Oh dang how could I forget to mention Overload? I helped Kickstart it and it's terrific. The Descent successor I've been waiting on for ages. The idiot press completely ignored it on release, and now the developers have disbanded again due to poor sales. Better late than never, so go get it already.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to Wrath and Prodeus on the Switch. I wish most of these are out on the Switch.

It's awesome that we are getting Doom 64 and I can't wait. Hope they port Quake, Heretic, and Hexen. And, also, we need more arena shooters in consoles.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what's going on, I was under the impression it was on PS4 after seeing Xbox and Switch versions.
i tweeted them about it regarding them asking for crowd funding for future projects, i brought to thier attention that they were showing PS4 any love. they responded saying they were under staffed to do a ps4 version

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Still need to play Dusk & Amid Evil. I love Ion Fury but it's hard to play the game & not feel like shit.

Jul 17, 2018
Overload is incredible, the best Descent game yet and it's such a shame it flopped.

Dusk and Amid Evil are bonkers good, too. Can't really see Doom Eternal topping either of those.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

Nightmare Reaper seems really cool.

Seems neat but the amount of visual clutter is bonkers.

So far Dusk and Ion Fury were my favourite of the throwback FPS that have come out recently. Wasn't that impressed by Amid Evil when I tried it in early access but I'll have to give it another go and hopefully get around to Hedon and Overload as well.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I really enjoyed Dusk. Amid Evil not so much, played like an hour and a half before droppig it, I'm just not a fan of the aesthetics and weapons.

Don't know about ion fury 'cause I never played it, but I'm looking forward to some of the titles mentioned here.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've really loved some of these title and have dedicated quite a bit of time this year to playing them. Amid Evil has not only been my favourite of the retro inspired shooters, but one of my favourites of all time. Just incredible level design, weapons, variety, and atmosphere. Absolutely just hits all the right notes for me. I think Dusk has slightly tighter game play, but otherwise I prefer Amid Evil.

Even just some of these remasters have been excellent, I just got the last achievement in Blood: Fresh Supply which was some of the most fun I've had all year, and am currently working through Forsaken Remastered (this is a bit of a treat since it contains content from the PC/PS1 and N64 versions).

I will say I ultimately found Ion Fury to be pretty bland, despite being initially quite excited by the first few levels. Speaking about it outside the disappointing controversy, I think it has some really weak enemy designs, somewhat dull levels (though great secrets) with just too repetitive aesthetics, and just never expands past its early concepts. I don't dislike it, but it's my least favourite of the main build engine shooters, and by quite a bit.

I've seen Hedon be mentioned here and I'd also recommend it. I think it's sadly not gotten the recognition it deserves. Much closer to Strife or Hexen, but with far more intuitive level design than either, surprisingly strong world building, and some very memorable moments. One of my favourite games of this year. It does have a few things that I find a bit tacky, like the old trope of finding images of sexy pin-ups in some secrets (and they're so overly sexualized that there is really nothing sexy about it, it's really just shitty pandering and knocks the whole package down a bit for me), but overall, a great game.

Nightmare Reaper is still early on in development, but I've had quite a bit of fun playing it. Performance isn't quite where it needs to be at the moment, but it is seeing improvement. I'm usually not one for rouge-lite games, but this one won me over and I'm glad I picked up the EA version.

Really excited for Wrath: Aeon of Ruin.
Project Warlock is pretty fun. The level designs are pretty flat and basic but they really nailed the gun play, blasting apart monsters *feels* great.

Dusk is the king though, but once again we get a retro shooter revival thread that ignores OVERLOAD

DO
NOT
SLEEP
ON
OVERLOAD

Overload was a lot of fun. Also a fairly strong console port on PS4 and Xbox One. I've yet to check out Project Warlock, seems there is a demo.

Last edited:

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Reminder that Doom is 25 years old and the modding scene is only getting more ridiculous by the year. There's also some excellent stuff in the Quake community, but Doom's just an endless stream of cool stuff. Cool new stuff. And a convenient award thing every year, the Cacowards, which can't capture all the best stuff but give it a damn good try.

You like the new Deus Ex games? That was the highlight of a recent weekend for me.

Dusk also owns, and Amid Evil.

Shame about Ion Fury's team being led by a transphobic bigot, and IIRC Hedon's dev is a shit as well.

Edit: https://twitter.com/TheNewBloods/status/1167482159982006272

Last edited:

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Amid Evil and Dusk are some of the most fun games i played this year, looking forward to Prodeus and Wrath. Didn't buy Ion Fury yet because i chained both of these in a row and felt like putting some times in other gendra instead, but i'll buy it for sure down the road.

The DF Retro video of that made it look so great. Like a proto-Metroid Prime in some ways.
I always considered Metroid Prime a successor of sort to exhumed and hexen. It's a shame waiting an infinity of years for the next metroid prime is the only hope for another game of that type.