• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game was most iconic?

• Street Fighter 2

Votes: 476 85.3%
  • Mortal Kombat

Votes: 82 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

El Goom

Oct 27, 2017
Good morning.
American here.. I just woke up.
And yeah, it's not Mortal Kombat.

No one lined up in arcades here for Mortal Kombat like they lined up for Street Fighter 2.

How many sports stars throw out Scorpion's spear on the field as a celebratory gesture?
No one that's who.
Hadoukens on the other hand?

It's no contest, it's Street Fighter.

The Mortal Kombat guys wanted Jean Claud Van Damme to reprise his Bloodsport role for their "Kumite" game, but did JCVD do that?
No.
He went and made a Street Fighter movie.

Even JCVD knew it's Street Fighter.

the Mortal Kombat movie was the better of the two movies .. that theme song... so good
Can't help but feel the MK series dodged a major bullet by not getting him on board. Would the series have taken off with him as the face of it, or would it have been another throwaway fighter that retro sites would be referring to as 'that Van Damme fighting game?'

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Iconic in the cultural sense I think is definitely MK. I think Street Fighter II is definitely the better game and the franchise is the iconic fighting game franchise which is probably why it has such an overwhelming lead.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
And they chose Mortal Kombat....I can see why...its depictions of gratuitous violence had bigger social repercussions (ESRB etc) than Street Fighter 2. But the game that made fighting games a cultural gaming phenomenon with folk going to compete against each other at the local arcade was SF2...
Great, but what does that have to do with the video? SF2 didn't lose the 1991 choice to MK, it lost to Sonic the Hedgehog. Which had a hit movie this year. In 2020.

Mortal Kombat was their choice for 1992.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_nzfc3oCpD21u2ragso5_500.gifv

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
MK has basically been more popular than SF since the beginning. Even during the lean years between 4-8 it did better than SF did (which were also SF's worst sales period)

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't see MK in Captain Marvel. It's SF2. It's why I laugh when people want Scorpion and Sub Zero. It's no where near iconic outside of America.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat always seemed to have more of a mainstream cross-media presence to me. The lack of arcade culture in the US/Canada might be part of it. I have no doubt that Street Fighter is more iconic in places like SEA.

The ESRB here exists because of the MK controversy.
LOL @ lack of arcade culture in the US during the 90's. Arcades were everywhere in the US in the 80's and 90's.
MK popularity was only comparable to SF2 in US, and even there SF2 was still bigger.
This.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Ryu, Ken and Chun-Li are more iconic.

Chun Li and Ryu are certainly iconic. Ken? Not so much imo.

But there's honestly no way of measuring this. I will say that Mortal Kombat remained red hot, while Street Fighter waned after after 2 - so I think that's cause for MK to be considered more iconic. It had a larger audience, at least in the west.

OP
OP
Maverick14

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Great, but what does that have to do with the video? SF2 didn't lose the 1991 choice to MK, it lost to Sonic the Hedgehog. Which had a hit movie this year. In 2020.

Mortal Kombat was their choice for 1992.
Mk made their list of the most iconic games...SF2 didn't...and if you watch the video they don't say anything like 'SF2 is no less iconic than MK when it comes to fighting games... but it released a year earlier, the same year as Sonic which we feel has the upper hand'...so they are tacitly stating that MK was more iconic..

As you were, nothing to see here....

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
MK has basically been more popular than SF since the beginning. Even during the lean years between 4-8 it did better than SF did (which were also SF's worst sales period)
Not quite.

Mortal Kombat
  • Cabinets Sold: 24,000
  • Revenue by 2002: $570,000,000
  • Inflation adjusted: $748,462,000
Mortal Kombat II
  • Cabinets Sold: 27,000
  • Revenue by 2002: $600,000,000
  • Inflation adjusted: $787,607,559
Street Fighter II/Champion Edition
  • Cabinets Sold: 200,000 (60,000 SF II, 140,000 CE)
  • Revenue by 1995: $2,312,000,000
  • Inflation adjusted: $3,582,553,228
Street Fighter II is the most successful fighting game ever made and it's not even close.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
After thinking about it I'm going with SFII. Very few people give a shit about MK1 itself, it's the stuff that spun off from it that's talked about.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
How is this even a question? It's Street Fighter II and it's not even close. That's not to undersell Mortal Kombat's massive cultural influence -- in America, at least -- but Street Fighter II was an outright phenomenon worldwide and remains the single most important game in its genre to this day.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Both are iconic in DIFFERENT ways.

Like, my grandmother knows Mortal Kombat. She doesn't know Street Fighter. You didn't have politicians on TV warning parents about the dangerous high-impact violence of Street Fighter. Congress was meeting about Mortal Kombat and changed the way we rate and consume video games far BEYOND the fighting game genre.
FlawedCheerfulIchneumonfly-size_restricted.gif

I know that's mostly in America, though.

Street Fighter was definitely the more INFLUENTIAL game with the more global outreach, but in many places Mortal Kombat surpassed it in iconography.

I mean, they could literally sell merch based just on the logo alone. I had a teaser poster for the movie that was ONLY the logo.
Mortal-Kombat-Logo-Movie-SILK-POSTER-Decorative-Wall-painting-24x36inch.jpg

Both are great and iconic games though. Obviously, the fighting game genre owes more to SF2, but outside of gaming, I think more non-gamers in the west were familiar with Mortal Kombat.