• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Hello and good evening from Spain!
Recently, I just got the itch for retro gaming (I blame the mega drive mini), and decided to get a SEGA retro collection going on. Since I had way little available space, and 3 UHD tvs, I decided to get a mega sg + mega sd to avoid crt or upscaler hunting. So far, so good, the Mega SG is a marvelous product which got shipped and received in 5 days, so I got to enjoy its building quality before I got a controller...
Thing is, the set has hit my budget badly, and since the Mega SD hasn't even been shipped from its tax haven, I can play only cartridges I already had around. So, I'd ask you ERA for your top 5 (cheap) mega drive/master system to play and collect. For reference, this is what I have:
- Master system: Psycho Fox, Lucky dime caper.
- Mega Drive: Dinamyte headdy, Probotector, Adventures of Batman and Robin, Shining in the darkness, Fifa 95, Virtua Racing, Super street fighter 2.

As an aside, I'm a busy man with reflexes rivalling those of a glacier, so if your suggestion tend to fall into the easier camp, all the better. B&R and Probotector are just absurdly hard!

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
If you pick up the Mega Drive / Genesis classic collection on steam you can install it and pluck out as close to officially legit rom releases from Sega as it gets.

$30 and it gives a great baseline to start with and from there picking up carts for various games either not in the collection or just because you want it on your shelf or whatever is a good way to go, imo. You can play 99% of them on a jailbroken Mega SG until your SD shows up.

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/102625/

As for what to play that isn't on that list.. Rocket Knight Adventures is extremely approachable even with old man reflexes and generally goes for like $20 or less from a quick lazy ebay search. No idea what it goes for in Spain or import costs or the likes.

OP
OP
Karlinel

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Ristar, Phantasy star 4 and shining force 2 might be good starts. I seem to recall Alien Soldier being brutal, and Streets of rage 3 being quite hard as well in some regions...

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to save money collecting Mega Drive games, focus on acquiring loose carts. The durable plastic clam shells SEGA used during the 8/16-bit eras made boxed copies the preferred choice for collectors. SMS/Mega Drive loose carts aren't nearly in demand as their Nintendo counterparts.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Sega Genesis is my guess, in spain it was mostly known as the "Megadrive"

I'm from Sweden, it's Mega Drive here too.

^
And the Mega SD is a new flashcart by TerraOnion that allows playing Sega CD games using the cartridge.

shop.terraonion.com

MegaSD MegaCD SegaCD Fpga Cartridge

MegaSD MegaCD SegaCD Fpga Cartridge

Alright, cool.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Ristar, Phantasy star 4 and shining force 2 might be good starts. I seem to recall Alien Soldier being brutal, and Streets of rage 3 being quite hard as well in some regions...

Some of the most expensive games on the platform :D if you're ready to spend hundreds of euros per cart, go for those!

Recommended cheap/reasonable great games:
Gain Ground
Fatal Labyrinth
Pitfall
Crackdown
Super Shinobi
Thunderforce 3 & 4

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are all great games priced at $15 USD or less for loose copies according to pricecharting.com

Master System

Shinobi (platformer)
Sonic The Hedgehog (platformer)
Kenseiden (platform/adventure)
Time Soldiers (overhead run 'n gun)
Choplifter (shooter)

Mega Drive/Genesis

Shinobi III (platformer)
Sonic The Hedgehog (platformer)
Golden Axe (beat 'em up)
Rambo III (overhead run 'n gun)
Vectorman (platformer)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Acclaim printed 40,000,000,000 copies of Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam during the height of USA Genesis fever. Both hold up, as far as 16-bit ports go, if you're into those kinds of games and wanna pick up cheap USA used copies (no idea how those games are priced in other territories these days).

OP
OP
Karlinel

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Some of the most expensive games on the platform :D if you're ready to spend hundreds of euros per cart, go for those!

Recommended cheap/reasonable great games:
Gain Ground
Fatal Labyrinth
Pitfall
Crackdown
Super Shinobi
Thunderforce 3 & 4
Aye, I was thinking in the possibility of getting the rom for steam and using it on a microSD card. Here in Spain I´ve never seen thunderforce games under 60€, and iirc the rarest/most expensive one is Soleil (spanish translation).
So far looks like NBA jam TE, shinobi III and vectorman would be the easiest acquisitions.

May 24, 2019
Hated the process of getting it to NZ, but I love my Mega SD. Incidentally, I did a little customizing of mine today.
xD4GlRg.jpg

Hazelhurst

Oct 25, 2017
What's a Mega SG? What's a Mega SD?
The Mega SG is a custom Sega Genesis built with modern hardware. It plays the games in real time as opposed to emulation. It accepts all original controllers and original carts. Also outputs 1080p hdmi. The same company has made a custom Nintendo and custom SNES. Very amazing quality products.

OP
OP
Karlinel

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Hated the process of getting it to NZ, but I love my Mega SD. Incidentally, I did a little customizing of mine today.
xD4GlRg.jpg
It takes them so long! And it's a very opaque proccess, analogue gave me information clear and swiftly. Terraonion gave a tracking number which returned nothing and told me I could only wait. Very dissappointed in them. Specially since they forced all this to evade taxes in EU.

Oct 27, 2017
Hello and good evening from Spain!
Recently, I just got the itch for retro gaming (I blame the mega drive mini), and decided to get a SEGA retro collection going on. Since I had way little available space, and 3 UHD tvs, I decided to get a mega sg + mega sd to avoid crt or upscaler hunting. So far, so good, the Mega SG is a marvelous product which got shipped and received in 5 days, so I got to enjoy its building quality before I got a controller...
Thing is, the set has hit my budget badly, and since the Mega SD hasn't even been shipped from its tax haven, I can play only cartridges I already had around. So, I'd ask you ERA for your top 5 (cheap) mega drive/master system to play and collect. For reference, this is what I have:
- Master system: Psycho Fox, Lucky dime caper.
- Mega Drive: Dinamyte headdy, Probotector, Adventures of Batman and Robin, Shining in the darkness, Fifa 95, Virtua Racing, Super street fighter 2.

As an aside, I'm a busy man with reflexes rivalling those of a glacier, so if your suggestion tend to fall into the easier camp, all the better. B&R and Probotector are just absurdly hard!
I'm also interested in getting a Mega SG, but was looking around hoping to purchase the system through a dealer in europe in order to avoid international shipping shenanigans. I take the only way to purchase a Mega SG is through Analogue's website?

OP
OP
Karlinel

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'm also interested in getting a Mega SG, but was looking around hoping to purchase the system through a dealer in europe in order to avoid international shipping shenanigans. I take the only way to purchase a Mega SG is through Analogue's website?
Aye, just them. It costed me, taxes added, around 250€ and from purchase to arrival took 6 days. Overall, very pleased, and the quality is top notch.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
The secret to getting good deals in Spain for Mega Drive games is browsing your local second hand market (usually on Saturday or Sunday) twenty years ago and buy a few games for 2-3€. The lot.

Good luck.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Aye, I was thinking in the possibility of getting the rom for steam and using it on a microSD card. Here in Spain I´ve never seen thunderforce games under 60€, and iirc the rarest/most expensive one is Soleil (spanish translation).
So far looks like NBA jam TE, shinobi III and vectorman would be the easiest acquisitions.

Just gotta go on Ebay.de or .fr for most european games on good prices. US ebay for the superior Genesis versions of course that run 60Hz :D but then you will have to deal with high shipping costs and import taxes unfortunately.

Thunderforce 3&4 can be found for about 40€ still. Japanese versions are often cheaper too and these have no language barriers.

OP
OP
Karlinel

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
The secret to getting good deals in Spain for Mega Drive games is browsing your local second hand market (usually on Saturday or Sunday) twenty years ago and buy a few games for 2-3€. The lot.

Good luck.
Just gotta go on Ebay.de or .fr for most european games on good prices. US ebay for the superior Genesis versions of course that run 60Hz :D but then you will have to deal with high shipping costs and import taxes unfortunately.

Thunderforce 3&4 can be found for about 40€ still. Japanese versions are often cheaper too and these have no language barriers.
thanks for the heads up, ebay.es and uk are a total ripoff!