• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I've seen a bunch of people on the Saturn subreddit posting photos of slate gray Saturn controllers that they've gotten in the last couple days.

I haven't gotten my black USB Saturn controller yet, though.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Received the USB Mega Drive pad today; I'll try get photos with all its guts apart tomorrow; maybe someone with an original can compare.

A notable flaw I found on mine is that you can fully press down the d-pad in the middle - basically pressing all directions at once. It works fine and I've never managed to do it unintentionally when playing with it so far, but it's something to be aware of for anyone that rocks the d-pad with their thumb pressed firmly in the middle.

Not sure if this is a thing on the original 6 button MD pad, but the cheapo PlaySEGA pad I have does the same thing vs an original Saturn controller that doesn't.
Actually, this is a thing with the original saturn pads and an annoying one because some Capcom fighters on the console like Night Warriors, Marvel Super Heroes etc have a bug where they pause the game if you press all the d-pad directions at once.

I don't remember about the Genesis pad.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Got my slate grey Saturn USB controller today. Haven't had a chance to try it on anything yet, but first impressions are very positive. The only difference I can tell (without actually playing anything) is that the shoulder buttons don't feel as clicky as the originals. There is a definite click to them, just not as clean as with the original controllers. Also, the cable is long - nice.

I wonder what the chances are of these working with the Mega Drive Mini...

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I found one of the new six-button USB Genesis pads being sold in a store (regional chain called The Exchange) so I bought it and hooked it up to my PC. Tried to play the Genesis Classics on Steam and it's been a frustrating experience.

Firstly, you apparently have to hold the Start button down for five seconds to switch it to X-input (it seems to default to D-input). Even after doing that, it won't recognize up and down on my D-pad. Nothing happens when I press up or down. Left and right work fine, though.

The buttons aren't mapped the way you'd think, either. I had to go into the Genesis Classics configuration to remap the C button (it thinks the pad's C button is a left bumper button on an Xbox controller) and the Z button (which it thinks is an Xbox right bumper button). So that was annoying.

I still have no idea how to fix this D-pad issue. Trying to map individual D-pad directions doesn't work because the Genesis Classics config acts like you're pressing nothing.

[edit] I tweeted with Retro-bit and they helped me out. I moved the controller from one of my front USB ports to a rear port. I also rebooted and then held Start for five seconds to switch to X-input before starting up Steam. Now everything works fine in the Sega Genesis Classics collection as well as in a couple other Steam games I tried out (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and King of Fighters 98 UM).

Metal Slug in Steam was acting weird, though; couldn't look up for more than a second before my guy would go back to pointing horizontally. I don't think the game is supposed to work like that.

Anyway, I tried to plug the controller into my Xbox 360 but it didn't work, even after holding down Start.

Plugged it into my PS3 and it worked right away, happily. Didn't have to hold Start. Tried out Bomberman '94 and it performed just fine.

Last edited:

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
Have any Canadians had luck buying these?
I wanted another Saturn pad and held off until now so I could get these, but they all ship from the states for more than the cost of the controller.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I got my mail order yesterday and the first impression is nothing but positive. I've picked up the transparent blue Mega Drive one and the gray slate Saturn one. I love the long cables. It's 3m on both, super chunky and durable. The shoulder buttons on Mega Drive are more clicky. The Saturn controller feels a bit more hollow and not as solid. Not sure why, but the Saturn one is 5 EUR more expensive and it shouldn't be. Holding start for 5 sec to switch between x/d-input works seamlessly for me under Win10 and even with Steam running (no need to exit, restart Steam, etc). I'll keep them both. They're great!

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Got my Castlemania Saturn controller today.

Works like a dream. And it's PS3 compatible.

D4z5W-dWAAAD2XE.jpg

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
How would I go about getting the Genesis controller to work in Steam. Tried using the big picture thingy to bind the buttons, but it doesn't work.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Got my USB Saturn controller today finally. Haven't tried it out yet but it does feel nice and the box is cool.

How would I go about getting the Genesis controller to work in Steam. Tried using the big picture thingy to bind the buttons, but it doesn't work.

Did you try holding the start button down for five seconds before booting up Steam? All of these Retro-bit controllers default to D-input (like a PlayStation controller) and you have to hold the start button for five seconds to switch to X-input (like an Xbox controller). Doing this before booting up Steam (instead of while Steam is running) seems to make Steam play nicer with it.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Got my USB Saturn controller today finally. Haven't tried it out yet but it does feel nice and the box is cool.

Did you try holding the start button down for five seconds before booting up Steam? All of these Retro-bit controllers default to D-input (like a PlayStation controller) and you have to hold the start button for five seconds to switch to X-input (like an Xbox controller). Doing this before booting up Steam (instead of while Steam is running) seems to make Steam play nicer with it.
Ah, I'll try doing that before Steam opens, then.

Good to hear the Saturn pads are legit too, I think I'll pick up a USB variant and one for my Saturn proper.

Edit: Got it working! Umpteenth Sonic Mania playthrough, here I come!

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Received a Genesis controller, Ice Blue version. Feels great, I think it's better than the Hyperkin 6 button, which before this I thought it was the best controller you could get new for the console. It is still good, but the Retrobit is definitively better, and the D-Pad feels softer. Had no issues playing SF2CE, Contra Hard Corps and Castle of Illusion.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I have four of these, two Saturn and two Genesis. I feel like they're 90% there, the Saturn shoulder buttons feel slightly worse to me than originals and this is a case where I think the cable is actually too long. The Genesis controllers feel better to me. I'll hang onto them for spares. If the DC controller looks any different from an original I think I would pass.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm syndrome affects us all at times. One must learn to get past it in order to lead more fulfilling lives.
I'm sure a more faithful model is being released anyways...but yea, I'm totally going for this new 6 button/better d-pad variant.

Also, off-topic, but nice Alis/Mayu avatar, don't see much artwork for them or the rest of the PS1 characters.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
All I want is a wireless Dreamcast controller that works with an original Dreamcast, is that too damn much to ask. It's the only "retro" console in my setup that still has wired controllers.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got one of the six button usb pc pads?

I can't get it working in steam at all with the Megadrive collection.

The game configuration picks it up as a SEGA Megadrive pad but no inputs work at all, you can manually configure the buttons and it assigns them to the configuration but again the lad doesn't actually do anything, you can't navigate the menu and you can't click out of the configuration menu with the pad.

Really frustrating. What am I missing?

This is what I have

kQIkd2I.jpg

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Just tried it on mine: it's works in-game but not in the menu. It's likely a problem with the coding of the interface rather than a problem with the pad itself. Pain in the butt though.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Has anyone had success using the wireless Saturn controllers on Switch? They work great on Saturn and PC, and I've held Start and B to switch to Red LED mode, but the controller doesn't show up on the Swtich at all.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I'll extend docks's question to Raspberry (I was just googling around about it). I know the bluetooth controller are, but 2.4 is not specified and I'm interested in getting one for PC/Switch/Raspberry use.

Johnwess

Nov 3, 2017
Has anyone had success using the wireless Saturn controllers on Switch? They work great on Saturn and PC, and I've held Start and B to switch to Red LED mode, but the controller doesn't show up on the Swtich at all.

I think you need to hold start and y for switch pairing.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Has anyone had success using the wireless Saturn controllers on Switch? They work great on Saturn and PC, and I've held Start and B to switch to Red LED mode, but the controller doesn't show up on the Switch at all.

Doing a hard reset the Switch fixed it. It works amazingly, and even wakes the switch from sleep. Edit: I was wrong about waking, but it does work great.

I think you need to hold start and y for switch pairing.
This is only relevant for the 8bitdo bluetooth.

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'll extend docks's question to Raspberry (I was just googling around about it). I know the bluetooth controller are, but 2.4 is not specified and I'm interested in getting one for PC/Switch/Raspberry use.
I would be surprised if Pi doesn't work. It supports Android, and PC mode can switch between DInput and XInput.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
SaturnMemories on Twitter contacted them and they sent him a revised cross-support piece for under the D-pad. I don't know if the plan is to switch them out with a new piece in future or just honor warranty by switching them out as they break (or just sending out the piece), or both.
I asked for a replacement part right after release and they sent me a new pad instead... kept the broken one of course. It took a few months over the summer but I'd wager I have the brittle piece in the replacement as well. Hope they send out a replacement part when that one breaks... or rather two pieces!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Retro Bit's customer support say they're working on adding a Screenshot button shortcut to future firmware for the Saturn Wireless pad.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
I got one of the Bluetooth Saturn controllers last Friday and after going through hell trying to get it working through Bluetooth (I managed to get it connected but the controller will not wake up after entering sleep mode, leading me to have to remove the device and reinstall it), I settled for using the USB cable and it felt like a really great controller... Until 'right' on the d-pad suddenly died after just a few hours use. It feels like whatever is under the d-pad providing the directions a nice clicking feeling when you press them has straight up evaporated from that portion of the pad.

What a piece of shit.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Doing a hard reset the Switch fixed it. It works amazingly, and even wakes the switch from sleep.

This is only relevant for the 8bitdo bluetooth.

does It work well on switch? Not only does the 8bitdo not turn on a switch but it has input lag that I don't notice on my sn30. I still want a six button but I don't want to waste my money again. Thanks

also, Bluetooth or 2.4

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Until 'right' on the d-pad suddenly died after just a few hours use. It feels like whatever is under the d-pad providing the directions a nice clicking feeling when you press them has straight up evaporated from that portion of the pad.

What a piece of shit.
It's a plastic + where the right bit is brittle and breaks off easily. It seems to be a very common problem with the saturn pad and always to the right from what I've seen (but then most games move left to right as well!). You should be able to get a replacement.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
does It work well on switch? Not only does the 8bitdo not turn on a switch but it has input lag that I don't notice on my sn30. I still want a six button but I don't want to waste my money again. Thanks

also, Bluetooth or 2.4
This is the 2.4 one with the usb dongle. I was wrong about waking, but it works amazingly well. I was playing the Street Fighter collection and the controller is fantastic for it.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

also, Bluetooth or 2.4
2.4 has WAY less input lag. It also IS able to wake up from off, unlike my 8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus (because it's bluetooth?)