• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please release a six button genesis controller for PC.

Also: please a genesis/saturn mini. Will never happen.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
The Master System and Game Gear do not get enough love.

Nobody wants a Bluetooth Master System controller. And I'm saying this as a dyed in the wool Master System fanboy. The controller was trash.

Once I found out Mega-Drive controllers worked on the Master System, I couldn't get one fast enough.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
In for wireless Saturn if it's good. Was hoping 8bitdo would get there but no signs of Sega stuff from them.
It's my only wish from them, but I don't have high hopes it'll ever happen. So this is good news!

I already have two genuine USB Saturn pads (one white/colour buttons, other is grey) though, so that aspect of the news doesn't faze me.

Deleted member 30569

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
1. Interesting device...but the price is almost the same as the TV I'm looking to pick up.
2. True, but not too many TVs in the states will use that. HDretrovision has an adapter that lets the Genesis component work on the Saturn.
3. !
4. I wish profit.

Still, thanks for the advice.

Of course, no worries. And the way I worded it was a bit humorous, so please let me explain where I was coming from:
1. The OSSC is a product that performs similar functions to the XRGB Mini ("Framemeister"), but it's actually cheaper than the Framemeister and also has VGA input, which the Framemeister does not have.
2. This advice was only predicated on going through with #1.
3 & 4. These were part of some old internet meme from like years ago, LOL.

It was a recommendation coming from a good place, without exactly knowing your needs or situation. Sorry about that! :-)

Does an OSSC scale properly on both 1080P and 4K displays?

Good question. I can say that it looks fantastic on my 1080P display. Not sure about 4K, I'll see what people say about it in our own (ResetERA) retro thread...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Would be cool if they made them compatible with Switch via Bluetooth, like 8bitdo's controllers. I'm very curious if Sega is planning some Mega Drive ports to that system considering how well Sonic Mania did for them, guess we'll see if they'll be part of Nintendo's VC program.

I also have a fondness for the Dreamcast controller though I can't imagine it being all that comfortable these days. At the very least Dreamcast emulation will feel a lot more authentic.

lame gag

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck yes. A 6 button Mega Drive pad and Japanese Saturn pad for modern systems would be even better. There's no better d-pad.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please make a wireless Dreamcast controller for Dreamcast

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An ergonomic Dreamcast controller with a decent dpad? Count me IN

MrBoBo

Nov 6, 2017
Nobody wants a Bluetooth Master System controller. And I'm saying this as a dyed in the wool Master System fanboy. The controller was trash.

Once I found out Mega-Drive controllers worked on the Master System, I couldn't get one fast enough.

Neither love nor hate it, done it's job.
And it also has alot of great games nobody has really played. GG Shinobi 1/2 etc...

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they already make Saturn controllers, I bought one for PC a few months ago with a Retro Bit logo stamped on and it has possibly the worst build quality of any controller I've ever bought. Even replacing everything but the main board with parts from an official Saturn pad didn't fix all the problems because the chipset is from a SNES controller, which has 1 more button than a Saturn pad, and the button they decided not to map is Start so in games like Sonic Mania you can't even pause!
Well this sounds awful.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, no worries. And the way I worded it was a bit humorous, so please let me explain where I was coming from:
1. The OSSC is a product that performs similar functions to the XRGB Mini ("Framemeister"), but it's actually cheaper than the Framemeister and also has VGA input, which the Framemeister does not have.
2. This advice was only predicated on going through with #1.
3 & 4. These were part of some old internet meme from like years ago, LOL.

It was a recommendation coming from a good place, without exactly knowing your needs or situation. Sorry about that! :-)

Good question. I can say that it looks fantastic on my 1080P display. Not sure about 4K, I'll see what people say about it in our own (ResetERA) retro thread...
I imagine it look okay on 4K, it should scale perfectly given its exactly double 1080P. Also, didn't realise they were so (relatively) cheap, less than $250AU shipped! Sounds like an excellent present to myself.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does an OSSC scale properly on both 1080P and 4K displays?
That's... a complicated question. The OSSC, unlike the Framemeister, isn't actually a scaler. It's a line miltiplier. If you feed it 240p it can multiply that up to 5x and 480p to 2x. Some TVs don't recognize a multiplied picture at some or all integers as a "proper" image and wont display anything.

So TV compatibility aside, 240p @3x = 720p which is at an integer that scales evenly on a 4k TV and 1080 sets that can recognize the multiple will scale with a non integer. To avoid a non integer on a 1080 TV you can multiply instead to 5x and hope the TV can display that with overscan. 480p @2x = 960p and it's up to the TV to scale at an uneven integer, if it cannot display it at a 1:1 pixel map (with a border around the active image).

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, I can buy a legit Saturn pad and then never use it.

...though a LOT of 2D indies would be great with a Saturn pad.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
That's... a complicated question. The OSSC, unlike the Framemeister, isn't actually a scaler. It's a line miltiplier. If you feed it 240p it can multiply that up to 5x and 480p to 2x. Some TVs don't recognize a multiplied picture at some or all integers as a "proper" image and wont display anything.

So TV compatibility aside, 240p @3x = 720p which is at an integer that scales evenly on a 4k TV and 1080 sets that can recognize the multiple will scale with a non integer. To avoid a non integer on a 1080 TV you can multiply instead to 5x and hope the TV can display that with overscan. 480p @2x = 960p and it's up to the TV to scale at an uneven integer, if it cannot display it at a 1:1 pixel map (with a border around the active image).
Awesome, thanks for the info! And apologies to all for the thread derail.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Saturn jpad is best pad of all time.

Also, since were in hypothetical dream land, Im excited for the new updated, open source, bluetooth compatible VMUS!
It was Europad too, I had it :)

Wish 8bitdo made a faithful recreation (maybe with a little better xyz buttons) since they seem to make quality stuff, but they really need to nail the circle d-pad.

Edit: wait, what?! Retro-Bit are making them after all! The way this was worded I thought they'd only make stuff that work with the original consoles rather than something like this! I really hope they're well done but it's a huge jump to conclusions to say that since they're licenced by SEGA they're as good quality as the originals. There's plenty of dodgy stuff licensed from SEGA out there and even SEGA branded stuff of shit quality (like the Saturn pad made for their web games service thing a while back). Has anyone used Retro-bit controllers? Are they good quality? Will they work fine on PC?

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Hopefully they release a VGA Box-like apparatus that allows me to connect to HDMI on my television.

As it is now I'm kinda tempted to just liquidate my Dreamcast library because there's no elegant want to connect it to my TV.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
http://retro-bit.com/saturn-controller-pc-usb-black.html
Is this new or old then? And how was the quality? And will the new one be like this but with official branding or are they doing anything different? Need info. Price is rad, if it's good ($20). Visually it's spot on.
rb-pc-0387_1.jpg

Edit: yeah this is older, Amazon reviews not so good either so I hope the new controllers are substantially better otherwise Hori's Fighting Commander is still the go to for 6 face button goodness on PC/PS4/Xbone.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they could re-relased more Saturn games on modern systems.

It was the only Sega system I never bought and I would love to be able to play those games.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
http://retro-bit.com/saturn-controller-pc-usb-black.html
Is this new or old then? And how was the quality? And will the new one be like this but with official branding or are they doing anything different? Need info. Price is rad, if it's good ($20). Visually it's spot on.

Edit: yeah this is older, Amazon reviews not so good either so I hope the new controllers are substantially better otherwise Hori's Fighting Commander is still the go to for 6 face button goodness on PC/PS4/Xbone.
I bought one a few months ago, posted my thoughts on it earlier in the thread.
Pretty sure they already make Saturn controllers, I bought one for PC a few months ago with a Retro Bit logo stamped on and it has possibly the worst build quality of any controller I've ever bought. Even replacing everything but the main board with parts from an official Saturn pad didn't fix all the problems because the chipset is from a SNES controller, which has 1 more button than a Saturn pad, and the button they decided not to map is Start so in games like Sonic Mania you can't even pause!

Hopefully these newer ones are significantly higher quality, I wouldn't mind a wireless Saturn pad.

New Dreamcast shells would be nice.
Yes please. The only replacement ones around were top parts from back in the day that are extremely rare and expensive now, or full shells that are seemingly only available from Venezuela and came in a ton of colours but half of which are too difficult to locate now.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Google

Akura Dreamcast hdmi

Then thank me
Those guys make terrific stuff.
I got a Toro from them for use with mu Framemeister and love it!

Anyone that makes quality Saturn controller adapters so I could use my PS4 Vewlix Hori arcade stick on the Saturn? It has a PS3 mode as well.
I do have a modded Virtua Stick, but I mess up the top layer quite a bit...

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
You expected a cheaper solution to a complicated issue ?

You're alternative options are a OSSC or a xrgb

I was thinking $40-$50 max. I don't need any fancy features that something like a XRGB offers, I just need a way to get a Dreamcast video signal on my TV. My current TV doesn't have a VGA port or S-Video in, so I'm basically looking at composite at best, which isn't great.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
The Saturn controller clones they make are apparently functional but not very durable. Hopefully build and component quality is much improved for the licensed stuff.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah something like the recent 8bitdo SN30 but based on a Saturn pad would be the dream.

Stupid playstations and their 4 face buttons.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I hope these saturn pads are the same quality as the originals, been waiting ages for a saturn pad to play 2d fighting games, saturn d-pad is the best one ever made for fighters in my opinion.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
A reliably working bluetooth Saturn controller would be a dream come true for me. I hope these turn out good.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy a ridiculous amount of money for a good quality Saturn pad, similar to the originals by Sega. Hope these new pads are awesome.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking $40-$50 max. I don't need any fancy features that something like a XRGB offers, I just need a way to get a Dreamcast video signal on my TV. My current TV doesn't have a VGA port or S-Video in, so I'm basically looking at composite at best, which isn't great.

There was an ebay seller from europe (poland maybe?) that was selling what appeared to be their own local made Dreamcast VGA cables, around $25 shipped (i live in Canada). Paired that cable with a VGA to HDMI converter box from Amazon, also around $20. Works great on my HDMI port on a Panasonic 26 inch LCD. I can PM you the details if you want.

Picture is very noticeably sharper, colors are more accurate. I was a bit concerned spending nearly $50 to upgrade the picture on this old system but I think it was well worth it.