• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Is a 9" JVC TM-R9U worth $65? Is it worth anything? Too small? Not a good screen? I've been wanting to get a pro monitor for awhile but 9" seems too small.

thanks.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Is a 9" JVC TM-R9U worth $65? Is it worth anything? Too small? Not a good screen? I've been wanting to get a pro monitor for awhile but 9" seems too small.
Looks like its composite only which isn't great and at 9" you've got to sit really close to it, so I'd say you'd be better of with a good consumer TV with component/rgb inputs.
That said small monitors do have a bunch of advantages like wieght, size, sharpness, etc, and some people really like them, so don't let me put you off if it appeals to you.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Small monitor is okay if you have it on a desk. Any farther than that and it would be too small.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Looks like its composite only which isn't great and at 9" you've got to sit really close to it, so I'd say you'd be better of with a good consumer TV with component/rgb inputs.
That said small monitors do have a bunch of advantages like wieght, size, sharpness, etc, and some people really like them, so don't let me put you off if it appeals to you.
thanks. looks like I'll pass on it. I'd rather spend the money and get something good than save a few bucks and sacrifice better quality video.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Ok, I bought a PSIO from Stone Age Gamer one year ago, I installed the switch board in my console last years and it didn't work. I couldn't install another switch board on another console until now, and only NOW I have the confirmation that my cart may be faulty.

Do you think is there any chance Cyberdyne could replace my cart?
Here where I am we have 2-years warrantry on every good, but I don't know how much I am covered under US (in case of Stone Age Gamer) or Australia (in case of Cyberdyne) law.

I am willing to pay to have it repaired, if that costs me less than a new cart.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I bought a PSIO from Stone Age Gamer one year ago, I installed the switch board in my console last years and it didn't work. I couldn't install another switch board on another console until now, and only NOW I have the confirmation that my cart may be faulty.

Do you think is there any chance Cyberdyne could replace my cart?
Here where I am we have 2-years warrantry on every good, but I don't know how much I am covered under US (in case of Stone Age Gamer) or Australia (in case of Cyberdyne) law.

I am willing to pay to have it repaired, if that costs me less than a new cart.

Australian consumer law should definitely have you covered if you live in Australia and purchased the product from Australia. Things get more complicated if you imported the product. It's not clear from you post what the country of purchase is and the country of coverage.

If you had the product serviced in Australia and it's now faulty, you may be covered by consumer law even if you purchased from another country.

Manufacturer or seller warranties are in addition to their requirements under consumer law, but you might wish to ask about those first.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
So turned out that after all of that it was just the damn OSSC low pass filter not being enabled. Not sure why it isn't set to auto by default but yeah, that could have saved us a lot of headaches.

But now, several months later, my N64 has the Arthrimus RGB mod based on Borti's design installed and it looks amazing going into my OSSC at 4x out to my 4K Samsung TV.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I just made a PC to connect to my BVM-20F1U using an ArcadeVGA5000 and VGA HD15 to BNC with T connector for sync.

I installed Windows 10 and the drivers, ran the monitor setup, and I get picture but it seems its not scaled correctly.
The max resolution from the ArcadeVGA (via the mini icon) is 640x240 and the Windows 10 doesn't let me scale it below 100%. The scaling is too much for me to really install anything but man do videos look amazing on it.

I included a pic to help. Any ideas on how to get it fit properly?

bBseUZs.jpg

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Are upscalers worth it for a Wii used with LCD?
I haven't got a Wii, so I could be dead wrong on this, but the rest of the internet advises installing an expensive hdmi mod or using a blurry and laggy (but cheap) Wii hdmi converter, so I might as well offer my unfounded opinion, which is... it depends.

The Wii can output 240p/480i/480p over component, which can all be handled by the OSSC, but it doesn't do much to improve 480i and not all LCDs are compatible with the signals produced by OSSC (output is HDMI, but signal varies depending on the source and the output config).

That said it is likely to be an improvement over your TVs upscaling and would be worth getting if you've got any other consoles that you can use with it.

Finally its worth mentioning that a design for a Pro version of the OSSC was released that has a bunch of improvements, although this doesn't appear to be in production anywhere and would be between several months or never for release.

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii Dual really is amazing, but it is either very expensive, or somewhat expensive and requiring really good soldering skill. I was able to install it in mine, but I don't think it's easy enough to recommend to anyone who isn't very comfortable with a soldering iron.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I had this weird thing while playing my Saturn where black elements of the screen would ghost. I thought it was a weird analog problem. It wasn't; It's my TV and it's showing up with the PC Engine Mini. God damn it. They don't make TVs with component on the back here anymore, not that I can afford one right now. : (

It's not terrible, and it doesn't cause my eyes to go out of focus like the PSP 1000's more pervasive ghosting issue, but ... : (

Could this be a sign it's dying?

*I turned all features off and it still happens.

The Wii Dual really is amazing, but it is either very expensive, or somewhat expensive and requiring really good soldering skill. I was able to install it in mine, but I don't think it's easy enough to recommend to anyone who isn't very comfortable with a soldering iron.

The Wii looks like a huge hassle to dissemble enough to install this mod. I would love to get clean video out of the Wii, but I'm too afraid to botch the mod. It looks SOO good, though!

I had this weird thing while playing my Saturn where black elements of the screen would ghost. I thought it was a weird analog problem. It wasn't; It's my TV and it's showing up with the PC Engine Mini. God damn it. They don't make TVs with component on the back here anymore, not that I can afford one right now. : (

It's not terrible, and it doesn't cause my eyes to go out of focus like the PSP 1000's more pervasive ghosting issue, but ... : (

Could this be a sign it's dying?

*I turned all features off and it still happens.

I mean...how old is the TV?

Short answer: Yes, probably.
Long answer: In my experience, if there's a consistent problem that's not related to external factors (Power supplies, AV cables), then it usually means the equipment is dying out.
While you could probably try to fix it, it's probably better to look into purchasing a new TV.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Terraonion’s MODE (Multi Optical Disc Emulator) for both the Saturn (20 and 21 pin) and Dreamcast (v0 & v1)

Announced earlier today. €200 (VAT and import taxes are the responsibility of the purchaser) https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17-Terraonion_MODE_Dreamcast_Saturn_ODE.html

This looks pretty good - I like the fact that for DC it supports proper .bin .cue images and USB and Sata storage. It looks like a definite upgrade over the GDEMU, USB-GDROM, Rhea and Phoebe. That said it's a hard sell given the price as it is five times the asking price for a GDEMU (clone) but if I had that kind of money to throw around (twice) I wouldn't hesitate.

Saturn is also becoming a little crowded now, we have the Fenrir ODE is $100 and Prof Abrasive is wrapping up work on the Satiator and has let Patrons know that they can expect to have a unit in the not too distant future.

Anyway it's an exciting time to be a Sega fan for sure!

Nov 1, 2017
I finally got around to testing my OSSC with my Nintendo Wii with Component Cables + RCA to Auxiliary for sound. To my horrible realization, my unit seems to be processing audio only through the left channel. I'm using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to connect to the port left of the HDMI connector. I've also tested this port with a seperate auxiliary cable directly to my phone, with the same result. I can confirm it's not my cables (I tested both cables directly to my speaker, and they work fine). I've also tried toggling the tiny switch + testing the other auxiliary port – no sound comes through at all upon doing this.

Is there something I'm missing? Or did my unit ship damaged? If it's the latter, I'm not sure what to do as I stupidly didn't test this until now (my unit shipped last December). 🙁

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
I finally got around to testing my OSSC with my Nintendo Wii with Component Cables + RCA to Auxiliary for sound. To my horrible realization, my unit seems to be processing audio only through the left channel. I'm using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to connect to the port left of the HDMI connector. I've also tested this port with a seperate auxiliary cable directly to my phone, with the same result. I can confirm it's not my cables (I tested both cables directly to my speaker, and they work fine). I've also tried toggling the tiny switch + testing the other auxiliary port – no sound comes through at all upon doing this.

Is there something I'm missing? Or did my unit ship damaged? If it's the latter, I'm not sure what to do as I stupidly didn't test this until now (my unit shipped last December). 🙁
Hmm, I currently only use the AV3 audio input for dreamcast vga, so I've not got any experience with the AV1/2 audio input, although it does sound like that port is broken as it should just work if the switch is set to input.

It could be worth messing with the audio settings, as the setup guide linked below mentions sample options correcting audio issues.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

Is this on AV2? Have you tried changing the scaling factor on the input to see if that affects it? I know that sounds stupid, but when I had my SNES hooked up originally I wasn't getting any audio output when set to Line3x even though I was getting video. My TV at the time didn't accept Line4x so I ended up only about to use Line2x. I'm now running in Line4x on my new TV and all the audio is fine, so I'm not sure if it was an OSSC thing or some combination of my TV, AV Receiver, and my TV getting the video passed correctly but not being able pass audio at that setting. May be worth experimenting.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
That is tempting. I hope it's a success, he's hinted that if it does well it would be possible to make cases for other consoles. I feel like it's been long overdue to see a resurgence of aftermarket cases (The new Dreamcast cases that cropped out on eBay are incredible) for retro consoles. Some afaik never got any, like SNES and MD.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Oh...oh yes. Now this I will get and gladly mod into a DS.

Time to buy a cheap DS from Japan... when they can start shipping to the US again that is!

Any idea on how the touch screen will work?
Yeah, I'm wondering how that's going to work too. I'm guessing this should still have GBA compatibility?

Hope rotation makes it in!

He also mentioned that this is laying the foundation for the 3ds hnnngh

I guess I don't know the clock cycles on the GBA and DS, but I imagine it can support both? Seems like it might eat up his GBA consolizer sales a bit, if that's the case.

Rotation would be great. My screen is ready for it!

But, yeah, a proper 3DS consolizer is a dream for me. Accurate KI:U on the big screen is something I've wanted for a long time.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I've been doing research into how to best set up a PlayStation 2. From my understanding it seems the upcoming OSSC Pro, component to hdmi, might end up being the best solution? My current TV is a 2015 LG 9500 series 4K OLED.

Is there another solution thats best for PS2 that's available now besides the Framemeister (which seems to now be discontinued and bit pricier than I'd like)?

Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing research into how to best set up a PlayStation 2. From my understanding it seems the upcoming OSSC Pro, component to hdmi, might end up being the best solution? My current TV is a 2015 LG 9500 series 4K OLED.

Is there another solution thats best for PS2 that's available now besides the Framemeister (which seems to now be discontinued and bit pricier than I'd like)?

youtu.be

Sony PlayStation 2 :: RGB210 / MY LIFE IN GAMING

Get the Best Picture from your PlayStation 2! The PS2 was designed very specifically for the CRTs of its day. How does it look on CRTs vs. HDTVs, and what ar...

I'm using the HD Retrovision component cables into my OSSC, and while the bob deinterlacing isn't great it's certainly OK. I haven't been able to compare it to a Framemeister myself but you can check out the footage in the MLiG episode for some good comparisons.

I'm pretty sure some of the newer RetroTink devices can help deinterlace stuff from the PS2 and give you a lag-free digital-out, but they don't handle 480p so you won't get to enjoy anything in progressive.

Depending on how good the OSSC Pro looks, I'll probably add that to my setup just to make the PS2 look better.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
OK, I have a silly PAL question which I guess is more of a curiosity than a problem I want solving: I have two basic CRTs which I had years ago, an under 20" Daewoo that I've had since I'd say the late 90s (the one before it broke playing Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga lol, so I had to put the game on hold for a while lol), and a 32" give or take Goodmans which was the living room TV in the early to mid 2000s. The Daewoo has been in my room all the time, and with the basic PS2 SCART, although I may have actually used the SCART that came with the PS1, it couldn't run in 60Hz, but with RGB SCART nowadays it runs 60Hz/progressive scan just fine, and the picture looks clear as anything. On the other hand, the Goodmans has always been able to do 60Hz, but with the RGB cables it goes all wavy when I try to enable progressive scan, and I'm just curious as to why?
The picture on the Goodmans isn't as good either. i thought it might be because it wasn't calibrated properly in terms of colour, contrast etc., but there seems to be colour bleed on green especially, so the green text and health bar on Maximo 2 sort of bleeds up a few pixels, and randomly sprite based games like SF Alpha Anthology look kinda muddy, but when you pause the game and it goes darker with a sort of sepia tone, everything looks pin sharp and really good. I tested against the basic SCART just to see if the RGB cable was screwy, but there was a night and day difference, it's just that it doesn't look as good as on the older, smaller Daewoo.
Also, Soul Reaver 2, which was the first old game I could see with no alternate display modes, looked great on it though.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
OK, I have a silly PAL question which I guess is more of a curiosity than a problem I want solving: I have two basic CRTs which I had years ago, an under 20" Daewoo that I've had since I'd say the late 90s (the one before it broke playing Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga lol, so I had to put the game on hold for a while lol), and a 32" give or take Goodmans which was the living room TV in the early to mid 2000s. The Daewoo has been in my room all the time, and with the basic PS2 SCART, although I may have actually used the SCART that came with the PS1, it couldn't run in 60Hz, but with RGB SCART nowadays it runs 60Hz/progressive scan just fine, and the picture looks clear as anything. On the other hand, the Goodmans has always been able to do 60Hz, but with the RGB cables it goes all wavy when I try to enable progressive scan, and I'm just curious as to why?
The picture on the Goodmans isn't as good either. i thought it might be because it wasn't calibrated properly in terms of colour, contrast etc., but there seems to be colour bleed on green especially, so the green text and health bar on Maximo 2 sort of bleeds up a few pixels, and randomly sprite based games like SF Alpha Anthology look kinda muddy, but when you pause the game and it goes darker with a sort of sepia tone, everything looks pin sharp and really good. I tested against the basic SCART just to see if the RGB cable was screwy, but there was a night and day difference, it's just that it doesn't look as good as on the older, smaller Daewoo.
Also, Soul Reaver 2, which was the first old game I could see with no alternate display modes, looked great on it though.
On the progressive scan compatibility thing, my understanding is that a lot of TVs just didn't support it, you'd normally a expect a newer TV to be more likely to be compatible than an old one, but Goodmans were all about keeping the cost down and very few people would have used progressive scan at the time.

I'm a bit clueless on the colour bleed, as CRTs have a bunch of components that effect the image like that, but its always a good idea to check if its being effected by electro-magnetic interference from another device (i.e. speakers), to check this just move it away from other electrical devices and see if the picture improves.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
On the progressive scan compatibility thing, my understanding is that a lot of TVs just didn't support it, you'd normally a expect a newer TV to be more likely to be compatible than an old one, but Goodmans were all about keeping the cost down and very few people would have used progressive scan at the time.

I'm a bit clueless on the colour bleed, as CRTs have a bunch of components that effect the image like that, but its always a good idea to check if its being effected by electro-magnetic interference from another device (i.e. speakers), to check this just move it away from other electrical devices and see if the picture improves.

Thanks for making sense of my ramblings haha.
Yeah, that clears it up lol. I sure as hell wouldn't have used progressive scan on it back then, because it was just the TV we used as a TV, so for cable and watching VHS/maybe DVDs if we had a DVD played downstairs at that point.

I did have my PS4 and what have you on my main TV right next to the CRT when I tried it yesterday though, so I might try without that to see if that was interfering with it somehow, because it's been a few years since I last used the TV, but I don't remember it being as bad as it was yesterday.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Does anyone have experience with a B&O Beovision 1 CRT? I could get one for around 80€ and would use it for PS1/2 but don't know if it's worth it and I can barely find information about that TV online.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have experience with a B&O Beovision 1 CRT? I could get one for around 80€ and would use it for PS1/2 but don't know if it's worth it and I can barely find information about that TV online.

Yeah, I have one. Great TV although I've not thoroughly tested it in every scenario e.g. light gun games. I've seen some MX owners having to remove the 'contrast screen' to get lightgun games working, might not be the case for the Beovision 1 though. Does it come with a remote? A remote is essential as it's the only way to turn it on from standby afaik, also you need it to switch from widescreen mode to 4:3, for some reason my Beovision would do that for all consoles plugged in via SCART RGB. If you're collecting it make sure you don't lay it down on the front of the screen whilst you transport it back home, I've read people have cracked it this way.

Supposedly the firmware of MX TVs plays a part in how good the image quality is, not sure if the same applies to the Beovision 1 sets, but I like the picture on mine, it needs a minor convergence tweak but overall it's good. The sound is amazing too.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I have one. Great TV although I've not thoroughly tested it in every scenario e.g. light gun games. I've seen some MX owners having to remove the 'contrast screen' to get lightgun games working, might not be the case for the Beovision 1 though. Does it come with a remote? A remote is essential as it's the only way to turn it on from standby afaik, also you need it to switch from widescreen mode to 4:3, for some reason my Beovision would do that for all consoles plugged in via SCART RGB. If you're collecting it make sure you don't lay it down on the front of the screen whilst you transport it back home, I've read people have cracked it this way.

Supposedly the firmware of MX TVs plays a part in how good the image quality is, not sure if the same applies to the Beovision 1 sets, but I like the picture on mine, it needs a minor convergence tweak but overall it's good. The sound is amazing too.
Remote is a Beo4 and the current owner says it has the same (or similar/comparable) firmware as a MX8000.

Anything else I should take at look at?

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Remote is a Beo4 and the current owner says it has the same (or similar/comparable) firmware as a MX8000.

Anything else I should take at look at?
Great that it's a Beo4 remote and not the Beo1. Umm mine had a security pin on it that I had to phone up B&O to get the code, luckily the owner had all the info for me to pass on to let them share the pin. I'm sure your owner would have mentioned if it had one setup though! There's a motorised stand that comes with it but even if it's broken it should still be fine to manually rotate. I guess make sure it's not scratched and you're happy with the picture? Maybe take a console with you to test it if you can.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Great that it's a Beo4 remote and not the Beo1. Umm mine had a security pin on it that I had to phone up B&O to get the code, luckily the owner had all the info for me to pass on to let them share the pin. I'm sure your owner would have mentioned if it had one setup though! There's a motorised stand that comes with it but even if it's broken it should still be fine to manually rotate. I guess make sure it's not scratched and you're happy with the picture? Maybe take a console with you to test it if you can.
Thanks for the advice so far. The seller is apparently a gamer too so I guess I will ask him if I can test it with his systems :p

I will think it over again and then decide if I buy it or not. Kind of a no-brained considering the price since all bums/pvms are over 200€ in my vicinity and rather small too. I just need to find a place for it.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the advice so far. The seller is apparently a gamer too so I guess I will ask him if I can test it with his systems :p

I will think it over again and then decide if I buy it or not. Kind of a no-brained considering the price since all bums/pvms are over 200€ in my vicinity and rather small too. I just need to find a place for it.

Yeah, a lot of BVM/PVMs are all snapped up now or being sold at high prices. I will say they're not really a big deal, a lot of consumer sets are really good too imo.

Oddly enough the Beovision is easier to find a place for I felt since it's on a stand that has a smaller surface area then if I had to arrange a rectangular cabinet to put it on. I think it's also slimmer than most CRTs, certainly feels that way. Hope it works out for you!

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Vespa's said everything already, but I'll add that the general opinion on B&O CRTs is that the screens aren't quite as good as the best Sony Trinitrons, but the speakers are really good and they tend to be in a better cosmetic state than most other CRT TVs.

Another thing in the B&Os favour is that PVMs only have mono sound input and one limited speaker, so TVs and B&O in particular are much better for sound.

That price is within the range that I've seen for these on eBay over the last few years, so I'd say its fair.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Hey all, sorry if this is a dumb question but:

If I have a decent CRT with component and s-video is there any incentive to get a retrotink other than using my 4k set? I currently use my CRT for Xbox, Wii, Dreamcast, and PS1. I plan on getting a PS2 at some point so I'll use it there as well. Games look really good on the set and I'm pretty happy with it, no real issues with space either but...

I want the games to look the best and have been looking into getting an ossc, framemister, or retrotink pro. also looking at the mclassic dongle thing. So would it be worth it to get a new set up? would the games look better and run the same? Just trying to get a handle on this.

Thanks!

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Short answer: stick with your CRT

Slightly longer answer: The retrotink is at its best with 240p (i.e. 8 and 16 bit consoles), so you wouldn't be getting the most out of it.

I'll have to leave it at that, as everything else that can be said just leads to me rambling on for several paragraphs.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Short answer: stick with your CRT

Slightly longer answer: The retrotink is at its best with 240p (i.e. 8 and 16 bit consoles), so you wouldn't be getting the most out of it.

I'll have to leave it at that, as everything else that can be said just leads to me rambling on for several paragraphs.
Okay, sounds good to me!

I really do need to invest in some better cables though. Really just for the ps1. I have one of those multi system connectors and from what I've gathered, a quality cable will make a difference. I'm looking at the PS3 s-video cables right now. Might have to order one from ebay, though they all ship from the UK.

thanks for the reply once again.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
No one has asked before and I didn't realize I could still edit posts that old. I went ahead and added it to the OP, thanks for the suggestion! Its a great video, Displaced Gamers has been doing some really good stuff.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Man even with the RAD2X cables, PS2 picture is still not great. :-/
True, it definitely relies on the quirks of CRTs TVs to hide a few failings. Although I've been happy enough with the OSSC's handling of PS2, its certainly not as clear as the Dreamcast or even the Megadrive and I would imagine that the RAD2X is doing the best it can.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
How come they stopped producing the xrgb mini? Any particular reason? I still have mine but I'm mainly curious as to why they stopped.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
How come they stopped producing the xrgb mini? Any particular reason? I still have mine but I'm mainly curious as to why they stopped.

The main chip used for the upscaling in it was end of life, and the company that made it stopped making it. So they could only make as many of them as those chips they could get a hold of.