• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Powered up my good ol' 32x today. Besides always coming away slightly disappointed that I own that thing, I noticed some analog noise on the white backgrounds of a few games.

Are 32x's prone to increased noise or is it time to start changing out some caps? Seems a little early for that on a 32x, but I'm not sure how high quality the caps were to begin with.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of disappointing to hear that the Toro box seems finicky (as I assume that may translate to some of Beharbros other DC VGA box solutions). I've been debating whether to buy a replacement for my old VGA box as it's from back during DC launch (or close to it) and I'm not really sure if there's much difference in output quality between one or the other. Maybe I'll just wait and see what the Retrobit box looks like.

I mainly want to keep it because my plan is to use an OSSC with an SNES, Genesis, and DC via Retrovision SNES component cables, a Genesis RGB SCART cable, and DC VGA so I can use every input available on the thing without any other switcher.

Kind of disappointing to hear that the Toro box seems finicky (as I assume that may translate to some of Beharbros other DC VGA box solutions). I've been debating whether to buy a replacement for my old VGA box as it's from back during DC launch (or close to it) and I'm not really sure if there's much difference in output quality between one or the other. Maybe I'll just wait and see what the Retrobit box looks like.

I mainly want to keep it because my plan is to use an OSSC with an SNES, Genesis, and DC via Retrovision SNES component cables, a Genesis RGB SCART cable, and DC VGA so I can use every input available on the thing without any other switcher.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you need to utilize all the capabilities.
I can't, in good faith, say that's it's flawless, but I don't move my Dreamcast around too frequently, so I don't run into many issues with the cable at all. But, as one cable has already died on me, there is obviously a quality control issue.

With all he new DC options coming to market relatively soon, though, waiting to see how they all perform is the best option.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I am thinking about buying an OSSC for my 4kTV. I dont have any old consoles, I play mostly on my retropie. What would be the best "emulation box" for use with the OSSC? I read that the Wii would be a good choice.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I am thinking about buying an OSSC for my 4kTV. I dont have any old consoles, I play mostly on my retropie. What would be the best "emulation box" for use with the OSSC? I read that the Wii would be a good choice.

these days any pi will be a better emulation box than the wii as the clock speed is that much higher, coupled with the huge support for the hardware. don't waste your money on an ossc if emulation is your goal and you don't plan to use original hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but I'm looking for great picture quality with scanlines on a 4ktv. AFAIK shaders on the pi dont compare to what the ossc can do. I know you can force retropie to output 240p but I also know it would be hassle to get all systems to put out the right picture.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I'm looking for great picture quality with scanlines on a 4ktv. AFAIK shaders on the pi dont compare to what the ossc can do. I know you can force retropie to output 240p but I also know it would be hassle to get all systems to put out the right picture.

the ossc does a simple scanline overlay which you can pefectly replicate with your pi, the ossc doesn't do crt shaders. the ossc and starting with the original 240p analog output is completely unnessesary when using emulators on a 4k screen.

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017

The OSSC is a waste of money if emulation is your goal. I'd skip the pi and the OSSC and get the Mister instead as it is an FPGA solution.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
The realization of having 15 consoles hooked up to the same display is starting to hit me. Anyone have any tips for cable management/fire safety?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I just picked up a Sony KV-M1400U, and a (pal) Wii to go with it. Just ordered an RGB scart cable to use with it. Any tips for retro gaming on it? Last time I used this kind of stuff was when it was still the latest tech. I'm thinking I might grab an extra SNES classic controller to use with it.

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
I just picked up a Sony KV-M1400U, and a (pal) Wii to go with it. Just ordered an RGB scart cable to use with it. Any tips for retro gaming on it? Last time I used this kind of stuff was when it was still the latest tech. I'm thinking I might grab an extra SNES classic controller to use with it.
Do you know if the Wii is already soft modded or anything like that? And does it come with a SD card?

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys looking for some recommendations (time sensitive though)

Posting in the TV thread too but...

Im looking to replace my current Retro gaming TV, a samsung dynaflat crt and found this

Sony Wega KV-24FS120 (24")

For 10$

I heard good things about these for retro gaming... good deal? Should i pick it up?
Hi0Dxok.jpg

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

Im looking to replace my current Retro gaming TV, a samsung dynaflat crt and found this

For 10$

I heard good things about these for retro gaming... good deal? Should i pick it up?
Hi0Dxok.jpg
It's $10, dude (or dudette). What do you have to lose?

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

For 10$

Hi0Dxok.jpg

Yeah for 10 bucks if you have the space it won't be a bad set for retro gaming at all.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

For 10$

Hi0Dxok.jpg

I suggest to check the TV. I have a Sony Wega. Has Composite, Component and S-video, so you can pretty much use anything on it. Some people do not like flat screen CRT, but I do, it has little to no distortion. Check the TV first if possible, since some may requiere you to use the remote control to rotate the image horizontally. You may be able to use a modern Sony TV remote control with it, I use a Bravia remote control.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For 10$

Hi0Dxok.jpg
10 bucks is no risk.
are you East coast by northern NJ, i might be able to find you a better one.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

For 10$

Hi0Dxok.jpg
Yes, absolutely if it's in good condition. It has composite, S-video, and component.

Here's the manual for reference:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/653820/Sony-Fd-Trinitron-Wega-Kv-24fs120.html

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, absolutely if it's in good condition. It has composite, S-video, and component.

Here's the manual for reference:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/653820/Sony-Fd-Trinitron-Wega-Kv-24fs120.html

Thanks.

And thanks to you all too, im gonna pick it up
(or try to at least... im not that strong...)

I know 10$ isnt a big risk, i just didnt want to deal with a 100000 pound set if the tv model itself isnt great for retro.

I suggest to check the TV. I have a Sony Wega. Has Composite, Component and S-video, so you can pretty much use anything on it. Some people do not like flat screen CRT, but I do, it has little to no distortion. Check the TV first if possible, since some may requiere you to use the remote control to rotate the image horizontally. You may be able to use a modern Sony TV remote control with it, I use a Bravia remote control.

Yeah my current retro CRT is a Samsung txl2791 Dynaflat, its flat screen crt with component (which makes all my retro consoles with component look effing amazing like the ps2, wii, genesis... im looking into component for my snes and gamecube as well)

I messed with service setting on my samsung and messed up the picture with no way of reverting to default... it makes some games distorted when the picture is scrolling (like walking around towns in secret of mana, it pinches and squeezes the image slightly causing the image to look like its rolling... ive spent months trying to figure out the perfect setting to no avail... so im looking for an upgrade.

If the colors and picture are good on this sony, and if the distortion is limited to some rolling on the edges since its flat instead of round, ill be happy. A little sad that im stepping down to 24" from 27" but if image quality is better, itll be worth it.

Alright, folks -

I've got a PVM 14M2U and can't fix the "bowing" in the center of the image.
The bottom of the image generally looks alright, and the top and bottom of the image generally line up, with the bottom left side being slightly further to the right.

The top right corner looks a little bent.

Any ideas on which settings to use to properly align the image?

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Janked geometry is a big reason I dumped CRTs. You probably have more patience than me and I'm no help. Hope you fix it and enjoy

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Alright, folks -

I've got a PVM 14M2U and can't fix the "bowing" in the center of the image.
The bottom of the image generally looks alright, and the top and bottom of the image generally line up, with the bottom left side being slightly further to the right.

The top right corner looks a little bent.

Any ideas on which settings to use to properly align the image?
Pin Amp, corner pin? It's difficult to recommend without seeing it.

You may know all of this already, but in case not: read the manual thoroughly. Write down all the settings values before 'write'-ing any changes to the monitor. Keep in mind every system outputs the image in RGB slightly different [video phase (h centre in the image below) most notable, looking at you Genesis]. It even varies game by game on the same console. Use the 240p test suite. #crtlife

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Sony-Trinitron-Pvm-14m2u-3279891.html

vNDO0Po.png

Last edited:
Pin Amp, corner pin? It's difficult to recommend without seeing it.

You may know all of this already, but in case not: read the manual thoroughly. Write down all the settings values before 'write'-ing any changes to the monitor. Keep in mind every system outputs the image in RGB slightly different [video phase (h centre in the image below) most notable, looking at you Genesis]. It even varies game by game on the same console. Use the 240p test suite. #crtlife

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Sony-Trinitron-Pvm-14m2u-3279891.html

vNDO0Po.png

Thank you so much!
Looks like the pin amp and corner pin (didn't see that setting...) might be the culprits - BUT as it turns out, I was using the Genesis as my point of reference. I'll try the Famicom and PC Engine, see if that's an improvement?

Is there any way to really become good at calibrating the image on these things, short of taking electronic/CRT repair training courses?

I remember seeing a picture of a PVM or BVM that was adjusted by a professional, and the calibration had what looked like letterboxing surrounding the image. Ever since then, I've always wondered how "off" my calibration is.

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Tragedy strikes :/ our building was flooded and the BVM i had stored in the basement was partially submerged for a day. From tearing it apart i think only the power supply was critically under water. Not so sure about how waterproof the screen itself is. The Option socket on the front i can remove entirely.

Anyone have any tips on where to find a new PSU card for a BVM 20E1E?

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Thank you so much!
Looks like the pin amp and corner pin (didn't see that setting...) might be the culprits - BUT as it turns out, I was using the Genesis as my point of reference. I'll try the Famicom and PC Engine, see if that's an improvement?

Is there any way to really become good at calibrating the image on these things, short of taking electronic/CRT repair training courses?

I remember seeing a picture of a PVM or BVM that was adjusted by a professional, and the calibration had what looked like letterboxing surrounding the image. Ever since then, I've always wondered how "off" my calibration is.
You're welcome. There are probably calibration videos on youtube, but I haven't personally looked. Ask Savon-Pat and he'll say you can't really calibrate a PVM/BVM without doing hardware repair first (capacitors, etc). Should you fancy a go at that.

I'd try to make it look good for you and not worry about it being perfect. It likely never will be like Televator said. I've had my PVM for a couple years now and still haven't written any changes to it even though I know V Linearity could probably be written.

Last edited:
Tragedy strikes :/ our building was flooded and the BVM i had stored in the basement was partially submerged for a day. From tearing it apart i think only the power supply was critically under water. Not so sure about how waterproof the screen itself is. The Option socket on the front i can remove entirely.

Anyone have any tips on where to find a new PSU card for a BVM 20E1E?

That's awful. So sorry to hear about this!
I wish I had more to offer than condolences, but hopefully someone else here can help.

Unless you can order a part from some places that still service them in places like Los Angeles or New York, etc. (assuming you're in the USA), your best bet I know of is eBay. Keep searching around the web, though. I've found some websites that sell pretty old parts for an ok price.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in Western Michigan or willing to drive, I know someone who has the PVM motherlode. He buys instruments like endoscopic equipment from hospitals. I just got two Olympus OEV203 units from him. White label Sony PVM-20M2MDU units. I got them for $100 each.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Anyone in Western Michigan or willing to drive, I know someone who has the PVM motherlode. He buys instruments like endoscopic equipment from hospitals. I just got two Olympus OEV203 units from him. White label Sony PVM-20M2MDU units. I got them for $100 each.
I'm not that far from WM but I really shouldn't... gah

I guess Western Michigan can be a big area. Are we talking like Grand Rapids area?

Last edited:
Question for you all:
I have three consoles - N64, PS1, and, the worst offender, the Genesis/Mega Drive, that ALL make a squeal when I turn them off.

It's a high pitched squeal that sometimes can last for one second.

I've asked the cable manufacturers what it could be, but they said it's just a part of the system and was non-cable related.

Does anyone have an idea of what causes this squeal when powering off?

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Question for you all:
I have three consoles - N64, PS1, and, the worst offender, the Genesis/Mega Drive, that ALL make a squeal when I turn them off.

It's a high pitched squeal that sometimes can last for one second.

I've asked the cable manufacturers what it could be, but they said it's just a part of the system and was non-cable related.

Does anyone have an idea of what causes this squeal when powering off?
No but I have the same issue at least with the Genesis. I don't know about the other two because I only play the superior Sega Saturn.

No but I have the same issue at least with the Genesis. I don't know about the other two because I only play the superior Sega Saturn.

Ok, it's good to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

I've been thinking it might have something to do with capacitors or voltage regulators?
But, I have plenty of other equally old systems as my PS1 and N64 (including my two Sega Saturns) that do NOT make this sound.

Conversely, I have owned four Genesis/Mega Drives and four RGB cables and they all make the squeal. And when I search online for answers to this problem, Google apparently thinks I am asking about cars.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I've been super busy so haven't had a chance to post about it or use it much, BUT, I got my VirtualBoy back with the virtualtap and solder fix done to it (lenses weren't bad yet but figured do it while the modder had it) I also haven't really had a chance to try and make a FM profile with it, so its not as sharp as I think it could be. I think for these screen grabs I used the default FM profile which might have some softening going on, and obviously not the ideal scaling. I think that coupled with my capture software way over compressing these images a bit, they're coming across softer than they look on my screen itself.

Next I need to figure out either how to get the parts to make one, or where to buy a controller extension cable for the system though. So I can actually sit on my couch while playing it.

That said though I think Mobius Strip Tech did a great job on it!

47554309392_3e670c85c8_k.jpg

47554310612_fa8367e0df_k.jpg

32664934737_d99e9286e0_o.png

32664942077_4f586e589d_o.png

I definitely need to work on the fm profile for this so it can look as nice as possible.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been super busy so haven't had a chance to post about it or use it much, BUT, I got my VirtualBoy back with the virtualtap and solder fix done to it (lenses weren't bad yet but figured do it while the modder had it) I also haven't really had a chance to try and make a FM profile with it, so its not as sharp as I think it could be. I think for these screen grabs I used the default FM profile which might have some softening going on, and obviously not the ideal scaling. I think that coupled with my capture software way over compressing these images a bit, they're coming across softer than they look on my screen itself.

There's also, I believe, frame blending in the 50hz to 60hz conversion.

It is completely bonkers to me that this mod doesn't allow 50hz output (Virtual Boy is 50hz, basically PAL, can't be changed because that's the rate at which the mirrors oscillate).

A freaking TON of PVMs and BVMs would happily show this in native 50hz. As would my 65" OLED which happily accepts 50hz high def, and I know this because I've fed it 50hz over HDMI from Super NT and OSSC. I even verified that the set isn't juddering at 50hz.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in picking up either an OSSC or a Retrotink 2x to use with my N64 (S-Video) & Sega Saturn (HD Retrovision Genesis component + Saturn adapter) with my 4K TV (doesn't have component inputs). Castlemania Games is out of stock for the Retrotink 2x, but it appears the manufacturer is carrying stock on his website - retrotink.com. Is this website legit? It doesn't seem to have a legit certificate or use HTTPS so I'm apprehensive about ordering through it, even with Paypal.

Also any tips on where to locate an OSSC, and whether one would be necessary given my setup? I'm hoping to eventually connect my Dreamcast to either scaler, but I'm waiting until HD Retrovision puts out component cables for Dreamcast since DCHDMI seems to costly / invasive.

I'm interested in picking up either an OSSC or a Retrotink 2x to use with my N64 (S-Video) & Sega Saturn (HD Retrovision Genesis component + Saturn adapter) with my 4K TV (doesn't have component inputs). Castlemania Games is out of stock for the Retrotink 2x, but it appears the manufacturer is carrying stock on his website - retrotink.com. Is this website legit? It doesn't seem to have a legit certificate or use HTTPS so I'm apprehensive about ordering through it, even with Paypal.

Also any tips on where to locate an OSSC, and whether one would be necessary given my setup? I'm hoping to eventually connect my Dreamcast to either scaler, but I'm waiting until HD Retrovision puts out component cables for Dreamcast since DCHDMI seems to costly / invasive.

On the Retro-Tink 2X - I would email him directly to ask and be sure. Going through PayPal should give you a bit of support in case anything goes wrong.

As far as I know, the OSSC is only available at VideoGamePerfection.
The OSSC only handles RGB and component inputs, so be aware of that.
Do check to see if your 4k TV will handle the resolutions/timings that the OSSC will throw at it - see this forum thread.
In general, most LGs and TCLs seem to handle it just fine, but OLEDs have some difficulty.

However, you won't be able to use the N64 easily, unless it's RGB modded.
In that case, the RetroTink will cover about everything else that the OSSC won't.

Not sure how well the RetroTink 2x is compatible with TVs. Hopefully someone else can speak more about that.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
There's also, I believe, frame blending in the 50hz to 60hz conversion.

It is completely bonkers to me that this mod doesn't allow 50hz output (Virtual Boy is 50hz, basically PAL, can't be changed because that's the rate at which the mirrors oscillate).

A freaking TON of PVMs and BVMs would happily show this in native 50hz. As would my 65" OLED which happily accepts 50hz high def, and I know this because I've fed it 50hz over HDMI from Super NT and OSSC. I even verified that the set isn't juddering at 50hz.

I'm not sure exactly what it's doing to convert it to 60fps. I know in the install it talks about 2 different buffer modes. One is a fast buffer mode with tearing, and maxing out at 20ms of lag, and the other is a quad buffer mode with no tearing but between 20 and 37ms of lag. That is what the inside button on mine is for, it lets me switch between the two buffer modes. I think most people pick one, but I really didn't know which one to go with so I asked the modder to install a switch for me.

That said, it is now open source I believe so maybe some one will release one that is 50hz.