• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Re: rollovers- I'm sure y'all know but if you make too much for a rothIRA, or if you have a huge traditional IRA but get laid off, you can do a backdoor Roth IRA rollover. Just FYI!

Also, I have Wealthfront but all of it is in Vanguard stuff. Interesting. I only put in 5k, and I'll let them play around with it. I'm a LITTLE wary of robotrading because I'm not familiar with the emergency measures (what will happen if there's a crash?), and I turned off auto loss harvesting for now.

Well yes! i have a 401k atm, i was in a roth prior for few years. but im at work and there is so much information i dont want to skim it. i really want to study the info and then start to ask questions, etc. :)

You can have both. Your 401k should be from work, and your rothIRA should be personal.

401k limit is like 18k
IRA is like 5.5k.

Personally I use Fidelity for my IRA and I have mostly stocks/funds in them.

Keyboard

Fidelity is fine if you don't plan on investing in a taxable account.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Q: if I have a 401K from a previous employer, am I limited to a $5.5K rollover? Does that mean I have to wait until next year to roll over the rest of it? Or do rollovers have different limits and rules? (Into an IRA I mean)

Keyboard

They are fine for regular investment accounts too.
I don't like that their distributions have long and short term capital gains.

Compare Vanguard's funds with Fidelity's, and you'll see where tax efficiency is better.

Q: if I have a 401K from a previous employer, am I limited to a $5.5K rollover? Does that mean I have to wait until next year to roll over the rest of it? Or do rollovers have different limits and rules? (Into an IRA I mean)
No $ limits.

Keyboard

No. Rollovers do not count towards yearly contribution.

You can still make a 2017 individual contribution until April, so if you have money, you can technically add at most $11000 this year ($5500 for 2017, $5500 for 2018).

Last edited by a moderator:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So, does anyone have a suggestion or template for a safe portfolio?

I have absolutely no idea how to read stocks or funds or bonds or whatever and my current 401K was thrown together haphazardly. So, I just want to set up a Target Date Fund of some sort and leave it be and just throw money at it when I can. But I have no idea what to pick for that. Or if it's already pre-selected packaged stuff or what.

Not looking to be risky or aggressive. In fact, I want to be as hands-off as possible. Thanks.

(Or should I just ask Vanguard to figure it out for me when I call them to do my rollover? I honestly have no clue.)

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, does anyone have a suggestion or template for a safe portfolio?

I have absolutely no idea how to read stocks or funds or bonds or whatever and my current 401K was thrown together haphazardly. So, I just want to set up a Target Date Fund of some sort and leave it be and just throw money at it when I can. But I have no idea what to pick for that. Or if it's already pre-selected packaged stuff or what.

Not looking to be risky or aggressive. In fact, I want to be as hands-off as possible. Thanks.

(Or should I just ask Vanguard to figure it out for me when I call them to do my rollover? I honestly have no clue.)

You can check couch potato's site for advice. Also, some investments are better off being in certain types of accounts. For example REITs are less tax friendly so you would put them in a tax-free account, whereas bonds and international would be in your 401k.

Keyboard

Target date: Pick an year to retire. Add money.

Passive investing is all about buying and holding.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

So, when I go to do my rollover, I tell Vanguard to put my 401K money into that 2040 Fund and... that's it? They do the rest?

When I signed up for my 401K some 10 years ago, I had to go down a really long list of stocks/bonds and pick each one I wanted, along with % and shit. I literally just guessed based on the previous quarter's returns.

(Again, I'm a noob - forgive my lack of knowledge.)

Oct 27, 2017
I know when I moved money from, I think it was Principal Funds, to Schwab everything transferred just as it was. Once it was all available I sold all the shares in everything and then put them into the funds I wanted. Vanguard can probably do that for you I would imagine if you don't want to do it yourself. Maybe there's a fee involved if they do it for you but I have no clue on that.

Keyboard

If you decide later down on the road to split up investments, you can have a completely diversified portfolio using only three funds.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Another year another $5500 in my Roth IRA, feels good to get it out of way. I know I rarely talk here, but thanks everyone for the advice and wisdom, it's really awesome to see the growth in the account.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I know this thread is focused on retirement but I searched and found another thread for someone who got referred here who just had general investment questions.

So I have about 400-500 dollars just sitting in a bank account that I have set aside for random stuff that I don't plan on using for at least two years. Would it be worthwhile to stick it somewhere to earn some interest until I want to use it? If so what would be the best way?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I know this thread is focused on retirement but I searched and found another thread for someone who got referred here who just had general investment questions.

So I have about 400-500 dollars just sitting in a bank account that I have set aside for random stuff that I don't plan on using for at least two years. Would it be worthwhile to stick it somewhere to earn some interest until I want to use it? If so what would be the best way?
With that little money, do nothing. That's not even really an emergency fund.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like that their distributions have long and short term capital gains.

Compare Vanguard's funds with Fidelity's, and you'll see where tax efficiency is better.

It's a bit of a skewed comparison. If you really care about tax efficiency, you should be looking at Fidelity's ETFs, not their mutual funds.

Keyboard

Comparing mutual funds to mutual funds is not skewed.

Fidelity has an arrangement with BlackRock iShare ETFs for popular index funds. Never know if that agreement will end in the future like it did with TD Ameritrade a few months ago.

Read somewhere Vanguard has a patent in how they are able to do that distribution.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Comparing mutual funds to mutual funds is not skewed.

Well, you are comparing Vanguard's most tax-efficient type of fund against what is *not* the most tax-efficient fund at Fidelity. Presumably if someone was really concerned with optimizing the tax efficiency of their funds, they would be willing to go to the small amount of additional trouble of using an ETF.

Fidelity has an arrangement with BlackRock iShare ETFs for popular index funds. Never know if that agreement will end in the future like it did with TD Ameritrade a few months ago.

Read somewhere Vanguard has a patent in how they are able to do that distribution.

Yes, Vanguard uses a special hybrid ETF-mutual fund structure that allows them to offer mutual funds with ETF-like tax efficiency in their mutual funds. You are correct that this structure is patented, and it allows Vanguard's mutual funds to offer superior efficiency to mutual funds at other companies. But not necessarily better than other companies' ETFs.

Hekku Takku

Oct 31, 2017
New York
Hey guys! This is all new to me and I've read the OP a couple times but it is a lot to take in, still trying to wrap my head around it.

I just turned 31. I had very impulsive spending habits for the entirety of my 20s. I started saving last year when I turned 30 and I have about $13k saved up in the bank ATM.

Is there any place you guys recommend that I can put some money into for investment as a start? Is that too little to do anything with?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys! This is all new to me and I've read the OP a couple times but it is a lot to take in, still trying to wrap my head around it.

I just turned 31. I had very impulsive spending habits for the entirety of my 20s. I started saving last year when I turned 30 and I have about $13k saved up in the bank ATM.

Is there any place you guys recommend that I can put some money into for investment as a start? Is that too little to do anything with?
Not at all. Put $11k into a Roth IRA- $5500 limit for 2017 and 2018. Try Vanguard or Fidelity stock market index funds. Boom, done.

WizardofPeace

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone. I'm still in school and im 20, but i figure it is never to early to start saving for retirement. I have about 3500 dollars I've been saving. I don't have a full-time job so i don't have a 401k. Would a roth IRA be good? I do want to start investing as i would like to retire in my 50s.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
The other day I was asked for advice on a challenging topic that I don't think has been discussed before here or in the old thread.

My brother works for a semi-large private company, and recently hit his 10-year anniversary. Because he has been there so long, he is eligible to buy stock options. He gets a 1.5X multiplier, which is basically a "buy 2 get 1 free" deal on their stock. He can buy up to $300K in options (meaning he would eventually get $450K worth of shares at today's prices), and it would take 5 years or so to vest. The real kicker is that the company is willing to loan employees the money to exercise the options (including the capital gains tax) at a 2.5% interest rate. If he takes this loan, he does not have to put in any money before his shares vest.

So basically if he went all in and the stock price was flat for the next 5 years, he could sell the stock when it vests, pay off the loan, and pocket roughly $100K. They could even be down 25% and he would break even. Obviously if the stock is up, he could make a lot more.

On the other hand, it clearly has its risks. Although his company is in what I would consider to be a pretty safe industry, individual stocks can be volatile, so you can't completely discount the possibility that the stock falls more than 25%, and then he would be liable to pay off the balance of the loan. And it's always extra risky to be invested in your employer, since you could also lose your job if the company is doing poorly.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. I'm still in school and im 20, but i figure it is never to early to start saving for retirement. I have about 3500 dollars I've been saving. I don't have a full-time job so i don't have a 401k. Would a roth IRA be good? I do want to start investing as i would like to retire in my 50s.
Sounds good to me.

The other day I was asked for advice on a challenging topic that I don't think has been discussed before here or in the old thread.

My brother works for a semi-large private company, and recently hit his 10-year anniversary. Because he has been there so long, he is eligible to buy stock options. He gets a 1.5X multiplier, which is basically a "buy 2 get 1 free" deal on their stock. He can buy up to $300K in options (meaning he would eventually get $450K worth of shares at today's prices), and it would take 5 years or so to vest. The real kicker is that the company is willing to loan employees the money to exercise the options (including the capital gains tax) at a 2.5% interest rate. If he takes this loan, he does not have to put in any money before his shares vest.

So basically if he went all in and the stock price was flat for the next 5 years, he could sell the stock when it vests, pay off the loan, and pocket roughly $100K. They could even be down 25% and he would break even. Obviously if the stock is up, he could make a lot more.

On the other hand, it clearly has its risks. Although his company is in what I would consider to be a pretty safe industry, individual stocks can be volatile, so you can't completely discount the possibility that the stock falls more than 25%, and then he would be liable to pay off the balance of the loan. And it's always extra risky to be invested in your employer, since you could also lose your job if the company is doing poorly.
Taking a loan for this sounds like a really dumb idea to me.

moneywoes

Nov 17, 2017
Worth investing in some Crypto? I got a couple of gifts for my birthday that I sold for $100 so I was wondering if I could somehow invest in something to save.

Oct 27, 2017
Does Vanguard insure your deposits like Fidelity does?

I think this covers what you're asking? https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/s317.pdf
Securities in your brokerage account are held in custody by Vanguard Brokerage Services®. Should our brokerage services fail, or if unauthorized trades are placed in your brokerage account, your assets are protected through the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC). Vanguard Brokerage Services is a member of SIPC, which protects securities customers of its members up to $500,000 (including $250,000 for claims for cash). Explanatory brochure available upon request or at www.sipc.org.

To be clear you will earn at least $3500 this year? You have to have in earnings whatever you deposit into an IRA.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Taking a loan for this sounds like a really dumb idea to me.

I understand the instinct against leverage, but 2.5% interest is below market rate and it's not much more than inflation. Even if you had enough savings to pay in cash, there would be an argument for taking the loan. Of course it really depends on whether you can afford to cover the downside risk if the stock value crashes.

Keyboard

Target Retirement date fund is a good place to start if you absolutely have zero idea what you want to do or if you don't want to learn details.

If you want to pick specific funds, then look at total stock market index and total international stock index.

Long-term investing involves leaving money 10 or more years, so best to not look at the account frequently.
Does Vanguard insure your deposits like Fidelity does?
Yes if you open a Vanguard brokerage since it will force you to open a money market fund which is insured.

A brokerage opens all options like individual stocks, ETFs, and brokered CDs.

If no to brokerage, Vanguard limits investors to Vanguard mutual funds only although Vanguard has been transitioning in letting its investors know that they can upgrade to a brokerage account.

Fidelity makes everyone open a brokerage.

I think when you rollover your 401K, its assets get sent as a mailed check. Since brokerage option has checking and routing numbers, I think Vanguard opens the brokerage option automatically. Not sure on this.

Does he have to pay taxes for matching stock?

I think it's a bad idea. Never disregard worst case scenario.

If he still really wants to do it, I'd follow Bogle's advice: Invest at most 5% assets in individual stocks.
If $3500 was earned in 2017 and reported on a W2 or 1099 for working at a company, then you still have time to open a Roth IRA.

If $3500 was earned over years, then figure out what was earned in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the instinct against leverage, but 2.5% interest is below market rate and it's not much more than inflation. Even if you had enough savings to pay in cash, there would be an argument for taking the loan. Of course it really depends on whether you can afford to cover the downside risk if the stock value crashes.
After seeing more than one family member lose a fuckton of money during the 2008 crash because they had a ton of retirement money in the individual stock of their employer, this is way too risky for the vast majority of people.

Oct 27, 2017
If $3500 was earned in 2017 and reported on a W2 or 1099 for working at a company, then you still have time to open a Roth IRA.

If $3500 was earned over years, then figure out what was earned in 2017.

I always forget you can put money into the prior years bucket in the first months of a new year. I've been in the habit of dumping everything in on January 2nd of each year for a long time.

OP
OP
TheTrinity

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing more than one family member lose a fuckton of money during the 2008 crash because they had a ton of retirement money in the individual stock of their employer, this is way too risky for the vast majority of people.

I gotta echo this. That's going to be a significant loan, of course with a decent interest rate. I just don't think I could handle having hundreds of thousands in a single company. It works out magnificently if you choose the right company (Apple), but goes horribly if you choose the wrong one (GTAT, which is an immensely interesting case study by the way https://www.joshuakennon.com/gt-advanced-technologies-bankruptcy/). The risk involved is substantial.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Does he have to pay taxes for matching stock?

Yeah, that's part of the reason why companies sometimes offer this type of loan. The employee cannot sell the stock until it vests, but they have to pay taxes up front on the discount, since it is considered compensation. The loan allows them to defer paying the taxes until the stock vests

I think it's a bad idea. Never disregard worst case scenario.

Certainly, but simply saying "consider the worst-case scenario" as if it is axiomatic doesn't seem that useful in making a decision. I'm going to walk to the grocery store later today. I could be hit by a car, trip and break my neck, be attacked by a psychopath, or any number of other worst-case scenarios. For that matter, there are plenty of people in this thread with 90%+ of their wealth in the stock market, which also isn't immune to the possibility of a huge crash that lasts for decades.

Ultimately we need to come up with some sort of estimate of the probabilities of each outcome and weigh the probabilities and consequences against each other to make any sort of decision. I find this one rather difficult to intuit for a number of reasons:

- I don't have much experience in single-stock investing, short investment horizons, nor know much about this company's future prospects (beyond what you would assume to be already priced in)
- Furthermore, it's a private company, so I have even less understanding of the valuation process
- Market valuations are high and we are late in the economic cycle (both by historical standards), so I would not be surprised if there is a bear market coming within 5 years
- Although his company is in a relatively stable industry (healthcare), I wouldn't put it past the current administration to do something capricious and destabilizing.

As far as 2008 goes, you could make the same sort of statement about people who bought houses. That is also a leveraged investment of similar size. People somehow managed to maintain this sort of shared delusion that the value of houses is not volatile, even after the crash.

I agree that all other things being equal, keeping money in employer stock is not a good idea due to the correlated risk to your main source of income (often also true of homes, interestingly enough). I get stock-based compensation at my job, and I sell as soon as I can, despite the stock outperforming the market. However, in my brother's case he is being offered a fairly significant discount as a form of compensation as well as a below-market loan rate. That discount would give him an automatic 10% return premium over the market for the next 5 years. That's not something easily shrugged off.

Because of that premium, it feels like there is probably a more sophisticated answer here as well - for instance hedging against losses by buying sector-based puts.

Keyboard

Well, if the industry is healthcare, Vanguard has an actively managed healthcare sector fund that has done extremely well.

Just remember past performance does not guarantee future returns.

Decision is yours. It is an equity and will be more volatile than a diversified fund.

Again, I would suggest no more than 5%, but if your relative decides to go all in, make sure a financial plan is set.

Certainly, but simply saying "consider the worst-case scenario" as if it is axiomatic doesn't seem that useful in making a decision. I'm going to walk to the grocery store later today. I could be hit by a car, trip and break my neck, be attacked by a psychopath, or any number of other worst-case scenarios. For that matter, there are plenty of people in this thread with 90%+ of their wealth in the stock market, which also isn't immune to the possibility of a huge crash that lasts for decades.

Those scenarios are extremes, but I understand your point. Consider the risks and decide.