• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I worked at Walmart overnight back in 2015. And Frozen played almost non-stop on all the TVs in electronics. So I heard Let it Go maybe 3-4 times a night for months.

And this was just the TVs. We would turn the radio on the loudspeakers, but since the song was THAT big, it was still playing on random radio stations.

So I heard it in all maybe 8-10 times a day for 3 months.

I hate that song.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, all the GameStop employees ITT commiserating over constant Big Bang Theory ads, I feel you.

If you worked at a GameStop circa 2007 do NOT watch the below video unless you want to re-experience physical pain.

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Bon Jovi's greatest hits. My manager used to play that album in its entirety, no shuffle, every single afternoon.

Also some of the ads we had to play in store. Some of the ones that I remember the most are Battleborn, NBA 2kXX with Shaq, and the FFXV trailer with the Afrojack remix.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Christmas music. Any Christmas music. "Santa Baby" in particular makes me want to stick a power drill up my nose. The only tolerable one was that fairytale New York Christmas one, because clearly no one at corporate ever actually listened to the lyrics.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Working at a video rental place, we had a 10 minute loop with 30 second promos running all day every day. The worst part of it was the Daredevil ad with that Evanescence song.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I worked at Circuit City in 1998-1999. For a few months the demo video that ran in A/V on a ~45 min loop included the video for Britney Spears' Oops, I Did It Again.

That was less annoying than I worked at Putt-Putt Golf & Games in the arcade and had to hear "DAYTOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAA" from the Daytona USA cabinets -- eight of them within 20' of the counter I worked behind -- constantly. Six times every minute if no one was playing.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
There was a new Eagles song that came out in the early 2000s when I worked at Best Buy, and it was playing both on the overhead and in the TV section at least 2-3 times an hour. It's buried in my brain, and made me hate every Eagles song.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never worked Retail, but I worked in a call center that piped in music while we worked. During the Holidays, they would switch it over to Christmas music and the one song that would drive me absolutely up the walls was the Jackson Five's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I can't explain why, but that song annoys the ever loving shit out of me.
I'm fine with other Christmas songs, I'm fine with other Jackson Five songs, but that particular song grates on my nerves, and it played multiple times per hour. I still can't listen to it.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Not retail but worked in a sales and service center for AT&T in central Florida.

Every fucking day was the same small playlist of music chosen to "pump us up and inspire us to sell".

Tons of Pitbull, "all I do is win win win", and I hate all those songs to this day.

I still get random ass Pitbull songs that I don't even know the name of in my head randomly like ear worm PTSD.

I've never worked Retail, but I worked in a call center that piped in music while we worked. During the Holidays, they would switch it over to Christmas music and the one song that would drive me absolutely up the walls was the Jackson Five's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I can't explain why, but that song annoys the ever loving shit out of me.
I'm fine with other Christmas songs, I'm fine with other Jackson Five songs, but that particular song grates on my nerves, and it played multiple times per hour. I still can't listen to it.

I dug the shut out of Christmas because they'd finally play something else.

Also my personal manager would sometimes get the playlist on Saturdays and being my age we'd get 80s and 90s hip hop and alternative very rarely.

I remember one day standing up and going "is this fucking Something I Can Never Have by NIN?" And of course they didn't get through the whole song because it was boring and bumming out the millennials.

Rentaru

Nov 14, 2017
When I worked at foodlion I wanna say around 2014/15, they used to play a cover of heartless that was a rock cover. I hated it..and that one Taylor swift song with Kendrick, strictly cause they took him out of the song.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
I remember working in a department selling appliances, and they had this stand that sold cheap, shitty music for tweens. But the stand had a built in speaker that played the same 20 second sample on repeat really loudly. It was the equivalent of listening to 20 seconds of Friday by Rebecca Black over and over.

For 'some' reason that thing always seemed to break on my shifts...

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Never really grew to hate anything that played repeatedly or music that played when working in retail, when I was in the mall I did hate conflicting audio like two stores blasting music and the mall music all fighting for space.. but that's it.

My partner absolutely hates Steal my Sunshine by Len because of retail work though.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I worked retail in the summer of 2012 and wooooof

Just endless repeats of Call Me Maybe, Somebody That I Used to Know, We are Young, and the like

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Oh man, all the GameStop employees ITT commiserating over constant Big Bang Theory ads, I feel you.

If you worked at a GameStop circa 2007 do NOT watch the below video unless you want to re-experience physical pain.

Playing their TV commercials in stores never made sense to me. Customers in the store were ALREADY THERE.

UmbranUndying

Feb 20, 2022
Echoing Christmas music, *especially* All I Want for Christmas is You. And because I worked in a southern grocery store, I had this *special gem* also on repeat through all of December.

I've become very anti-Christmas due in large part to work in grocery retail for so long, lol.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Working retail finished the destruction of any love for christmas. Fuck christmas music

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
When I worked retail there was this one song in our playlist that would come up that is, in my opinion, absolute artistic garbage and one of the worst pieces of "music" I've ever heard in my life. Every time it would come on I felt like walking out of my job on the spot, absolute trash song:

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Christmas music. What was the worst was the small game store I used to work in was in a mall and had a bunch of different performance groups....right in front of the fucking store. It was the same repetitive shit, and then also bizarre Britney Spears covers sometimes.

They usually had a game's title loop/demo running on the big screen, and this usually had sound. The absolute worst was Guitar Hero and Rock Band games, since this was in the heyday of those. Funny story about that big screen, one time someone put Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 on the big screen and my friend (manager) heard the "duh duh duhhhh duh duh duhhhhh" and was like "SHIT' and ran into the back and yanked the disc out.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Not really retail or media but I used to work in a busy hotel and the front desk was right next to the lift/elevators and all fucking day I would hear....

'' Ground floor......Going up, please mind the door'' over and over.

Oct 30, 2017
I worked at Pacific Sunwear as a teen. They actually played music that wasn't completely unbearable and rotated playlists every few months.

Oct 27, 2017
Worked at Barnes and Noble back when the first Frozen came out. We had frozen week. Which was the soundtrack, on repeat, nonstop, for the entire week. Moment we were done I remember our manager gathered us all up after closing so he could snap the CD in two in front of us, with everyone cheering. To this day I still can't stand that movies music.

Special mention for the animals - We gotta get out of this place. Lemme tell you, not a great morale booster when you're working in a slammed in an understaffed and overstressed coffee shop.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017

Taylor's vocals on this song make it about 10x worse than any other Christmas song. I don't think Taylor Swift is a bad singer and I like some of her songs but her vocals coupled with the song is ear bleeding. 'Last Christmas' and 'Santa Baby' are just cringy songs, imo.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That absolute dog shit "how to save a life" song. AWFUL song that was overplayed when I was in retail in the early 2000s, and it's STILL being played in stores in 2022.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
Not necessarily hate but when Hungry Like The Wolf by Duran Duran came on it always seemed at like the most inopportune times to have a woman moaning loud as fuck in the background while you're working with some old lady and her remodeling project. Torture to keep a straight face.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Any Christmas music. The food court/shopping center I worked in was usually quiet or playing some low, elevator-music type stuff that was easy to ignore. But heaven help you the day after Halloween, because now we're getting 2-3 months of someone's 1 spare Christmas hits CD on repeat.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I worked at Circuit City in 1998-1999. For a few months the demo video that ran in A/V on a ~45 min loop included the video for Britney Spears' Oops, I Did It Again.

That was less annoying than I worked at Putt-Putt Golf & Games in the arcade and had to hear "DAYTOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAA" from the Daytona USA cabinets -- eight of them within 20' of the counter I worked behind -- constantly. Six times every minute if no one was playing.

I feel for you. I've never worked retail luckily but spending an hour or so in an arcade that Daytona song drills in to your head, I've never even played the game but can hear it even before I played the video.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Do they still play those 1-minute long ads/gaming news segments at Gamestop? I remember being in there a decade ago browsing for a game and hearing the same clip, just on repeat, the entire time I was in there. I felt so bad for the cashiers. An 8-hour shift, measured by a 1-minute long ad on repeat.

edit: I see it's already been covered.
Also,
At my parent's deli there was this song "The old master painter" and like most of the lyrics are too quiet to hear, but the chorus gets really loud and he goes "THE OLD MASTER PAINTER from the faraway hills..."

But it sounds like masturbater.

youtu.be

Dick Haymes — The Old Master Painter 1950

Dick Haymes scored #4 with this in 1949, and it's still on the chart in 1950. This is my favorite rendition of this song, though Richard Hayes had the bigger...

Lmao this is killing me.

Last edited:

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Movie theater. There was a tv that played ads above the ticket counter, and it played this song for Fanta soda like 10-12 times per hour.

"WANTA FANTA, DONT YA WANNA?"

I prayed for the sweet release of death every time that *fucking* song came on

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Worked in a record store for five years. Christmas season meant non stop Michael Bublé for weeks on end. Traumatizing.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Country music at a grocery store. Honkytonk this, pick-up truck that, between people singing about the struggles of minimum wage and overtime. Chosen by the wealthy CEO himself.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I spent nearly a year working at a Cafe in a Barnes & Noble, and I memorized the lyrics to every song from The Greatest Showman.

WHOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Ladies and gents, this is the moment you've waited for

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
U2 - The Sweetest Thing
Pearl Jam - Last Kiss

We were supposed to get a new tape loop every month, but I had to hear the loop with those songs on it for like three months.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
I worked at GameStop in high school and we were required to keep the demo systems on with volume. We also had a tv that had various ads and content playing on a loop. There was a period where the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and tv loop all had the same obnoxious Madden ad / song. The worst part was they would sometimes line up but not quite in sync. So you'd get three different versions competing but at different intervals and volume levels.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Pop country versions of Christmas music while I worked at Gander Mountain.

Dear God.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
It's not from when I WORKED in retail.. but back in 2008, I went with family on a holiday to Las Vegas. One day on the strip, we were out and about a bit early, and ended up stopping for coffee at Starbucks outside the Fashion Show Mall.

The mall had a giant LCD screen outside, playing adverts for the stores inside on a loop. And on this morning, every second advert was this:

We heard it about forty times in the half hour we were sitting there.

The music remains stuck in my brain until this day. Fuck you, Apple.