• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I'm glad that, if the people were going to vote for Portal, they at least did the gallant thing and put Portal 2 above the first.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of Cave Story (and most other games with the computer icon) it refers to the game being playable on other computer OS or PC/Console hybrid systems that aren't in the "official" listing of icons. As for Portal 1 and 2, to be honest I completely forgot I had an icon for Steam/Valve so those will be updated at some point.

Note: As hilarious as it would be for Cave Story to have an icon for a TI graphing calculator that's where I'm drawing the line for available platforms! Cave Story starting out as freeware made it hard to make a banner for.

Oh, I stand corrected then! Didn't know Cave Story was released to that many systems. Thank you for your work!

The next round is really good, and it contains a game I consider to be the surprise underdog success of this entire list.

VVVVVV let's gooooo

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Nah that's about the whole series. Sonic 1 was so bad to me that I stopped playing it after 5 or so stages and thus can't give it a grade.

Can't cosign this, 3&K and Mania are superb platformers which I wouldn't blink to see in the top 10, and Sonic 2 & CD are very good ones. Sonic 1 is variable, I guess as they were still trying things out. Some things worked, some didn't, but most of the things that didn't weren't in the sequels.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was only a matter of time before the "Sonic was never that good" brigade arrived. I can't imagine someone with any real experience in platform games not being blown away by the first game in 1991. It would be like not being impressed with Super Mario Bros. in 1985/1986. These were groundbreaking and stylish games.

I'm happy Rondo and Ristar made the list. Rondo's unfortunately the only game to originate on PCE/TG16 that has enough popularity in other circles to make it in.
bonkgif.gif

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It was only a matter of time before the "Sonic was never that good" brigade arrived. I can't imagine someone with any real experience in platform games not being blown away by the first game in 1991. It would be like not being impressed with Super Mario Bros. in 1985/1986. These were groundbreaking and stylish games.

i got Sonic 1 at launch in 1991 and SMW a few months later. You know which one felt fresh and which one felt iterative?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Oh, I stand corrected then! Didn't know Cave Story was released to that many systems. Thank you for your work!

You're welcome! It's kind of like games such as DOOM back in the day. People were taking those games and burning them to floppies because it started as as a free thing that people were sharing. For this we go with official releases but with a game like Cave Story there's that gray area.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legendary Axe on PCE/TG16 needs a shout out. It's not as a good as Rondo but fans of traditional Castlevania should like it. And it was an awesome launch title for the TG16 in North America.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah. this game rocks.

i almost honorable mentioned the SMS version of Rastan.
SMS Rastan is really overlooked because it gets assumed the arcade version makes it obsolete. But like a lot of 8-bit conversions, it has its own feel. It has an extra level, an added wall jump, and a more balanced difficulty curve.

Oct 25, 2017
I played Klonoa on Vita. It's a solid game. I wouldn't rank it that high, but it's a pretty good mix of exploration and platforming, and it has a neat little story.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (OG Xbox, BC on Xbox One) at its current sale price of $2.50 digitally (sale ends tonight). Is this Prince of Persia Classic remake for XBLA worthwhile? 82 on Metacritic. SoT has an incredibly impressive 92. At least for the PS2 version.

Also, about Kalimba, has it ever gone on sale? Looks like it's stayed $9.99 for at least a couple years from what I could find out.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Picked up Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (OG Xbox, BC on Xbox One) at its current sale price of $2.50 digitally (sale ends tonight). Is this Prince of Persia Classic remake for XBLA worthwhile? 82 on Metacritic. SoT has an incredibly impressive 92. At least for the PS2 version.
If you like the more methodological slow approach of classic PoP, it is a good version of it, but I do think the classic PoPs are much weaker than the Ubisoft ones. Congratulations on PoP:SoT, it is a brilliant game. Warrior Within is pretty ugly, but it has some of the best platforming sections in the series, so do consider it later on.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Is this Prince of Persia Classic remake for XBLA worthwhile? 82 on Metacritic.

Wasn't that the one that added new moves(one of the newer ports did but there are so many ports of POP1 I lose track)? If you want the feel of the original then I'd say no in that case. It may well be a good game in and of itself though

By far the best version of the original Prince of Persia is the SNES one. I ran through why I believe that here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...ers-101-41-posted.217215/page-2#post-35601129

All time GOAT boxart for the Japanese version too:

75qhvYz.jpg

If you want the best "pure" experience then you'd want the DOS version. This is the nicest port that keeps everything pretty much identical to the Apple II original while looking a lot nicer. Some of the other ports add their own bells and whistles, and some mess up the controls and physics too, though the DOS and SNES ports are perfect in that regard.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that Bamco trademarked a handful of their IPs with the "Encore" moniker, Klonoa Encore included. The list had Katamari and Mr. Driller too and both got great remasters, so it's only a matter of time!
Fingers crossed for remastered versions of 1 and 2 plus the Wii remake all in one package.

Is this Prince of Persia Classic remake for XBLA worthwhile? 82 on Metacritic. SoT has an incredibly impressive 92. At least for the PS2 version.

You're in for a real treat with SoT, would love to read a LTTP on that when you're done (hopefully we see a huge influx of LTTP/RTTP threads from this)

I would try to play the original. The remake is a 2D game with 3D graphics, but a big part of the original Prince of Persia's charm is its animations, which were truly incredible for the time. That's lost entirely with the transition to 3D. I don't they perfectly replicated the physics of the original either. So it's not a terrible game in it's own right, but experienced POP before, def play the original somehow.

EDIT: fuuuuuuuck that is beautiful sir_crocodile

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that the one that added new moves(one of the newer ports did but there are so many ports of POP1 I lose track)? If you want the feel of the original then I'd say no in that case. It may well be a good game in and of itself though

By far the best version of the original Prince of Persia is the SNES one. I ran through why I believe that here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...ers-101-41-posted.217215/page-2#post-35601129

All time GOAT boxart for the Japanese version too:

75qhvYz.jpg

If you want the best "pure" experience then you'd want the DOS version. This is the nicest port that keeps everything pretty much identical to the Apple II original while looking a lot nicer. Some of the other ports add their own bells and whistles, and some mess up the controls and physics too, though the DOS and SNES ports are perfect in that regard.
I came across the NES boxart and it's a little more... Yikes.

Prince_of_Persia_-_1992_-_Virgin_Games,_Ltd..jpg

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic_the_Hedgehog.png

What Hieroph has to say:

"The first Sonic is still the best. The Zones are all fun and different from each other, the music is amazing, and you don't even have to go to the menu to get Tails off your back. All the classic 2D Sonic games are worth playing, but Sonic 1 most of all."

OST Highlights:
Green Hill Zone
www.youtube.com

Sonic The Hedgehog OST - Green Hill Zone

The soundtrack to Sonic The Hedgehog. All rights to SEGA.
Starlight Zone
www.youtube.com

Sonic The Hedgehog OST - Starlight Zone

The soundtrack to Sonic The Hedgehog. All rights to SEGA.

Whoa, I got quoted! Obviously, I think Sonic 1 should be higher. Sonic 1 has aged amazingly well and is simply one of the top platforming games ever. They got it right on the first go.

Sega Master System and Game Gear shouldn't be in that platform list, because that edition is literally a different game, and while fun, really not as good as the 16-bit Sonic 1. It's neat that they made different Sonic games for SMS/GG, but Sonic was obviously made for 16-bit power.

Metroid_-_Zero_Mission.png

What Dancrane212 has to say:

"Zero Mission is just such a great playing title that I find it the perfect recommendation for anyone wanting to try an exploratory platformer. It's approachable, well paced and has a great hard difficulty. Zero Mission also has the original release which is something more remakes should offer."

OST Selections:
Brinstar
www.youtube.com

Metroid: Zero Mission Music - Brinstar Theme

Music from the original GBA game:"Metroid: Zero Mission" [2004]
Norfair
www.youtube.com

Metroid Zero Mission Music-Norfair

Music from the gamehigher quality link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vluIbgQyQM4&fmt=18

Metroid_Fusion.png

What Tedmilk has to say:
"Despite being more linear than most 2D Metroid games, Metroid Fusion has IMO the best 2D level design of any game PERIOD. The way each sector interconnects near the end of the game with secret passages was mindblowing at the time. The scenario and atmosphere are also top-tier."

OST Selections:
Environmental Tension
www.youtube.com

Metroid Fusion OST 06 Environmental Tension

Metroid Fusion OST 06 Environmental Tension
Arachnus X Boss Theme
www.youtube.com

Metroid Fusion OST 15 Arachnus X Boss Theme

Metroid Fusion OST 15 Arachnus X Boss Theme

Hahaha, damn. I wonder if my vote would have nudged Zero Mission over Fusion. Both are great games obviously, but ZM edges out Fusion for me.

Shinobi_III.png

What NeoZeedeater has say:
"The pinnacle of ninja platformers, just an amazing looking, sounding, and controlling game. All the elements come together perfectly."

OST Selections:
Idaten
Japonesque

Castlevania_-_Order_of_Ecclesia.png

What lord_of_flood has to say:
"I'm a huge fan of Iga's Castlevania games, and this one is his best work. It's basically how you do Simon's Quest the right way; it has great levels that provide just the right amount of challenge, and the glyph system is a stellar approach to combat in an action platformer. The bosses are also all really engaging to fight with clearly great design overall. The overall visual design of the game is fantastic too. Last thing that I want to mention is that Shanoa is a great protagonist."

OST Selections:
An Empty Tome
www.youtube.com

Castevania: Order of Ecclesia ost 01- An Empty Tome

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia OST Disk 1, Track 1- An Empty Tome (Intro version).Find more Castlevania content at: http://www.chapelofresonance.com
Prologue
www.youtube.com

Castevania: Order of Ecclesia ost 08- Prologue

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia OST Disk 1, Track 8- Prologue.Find more Castlevania content at: http://www.chapelofresonance.com

Castlevania_-_Aria_of_Sorrow.png

What EarthPainting has to say:

"On top of a solid game world that's fun to explore and traverse, with things to find all over the place, the thing that makes AoS shine is its "Soul" ability system. As you explore and slay your enemies, you'll absorb a large array of abilities. These abilities can expand your move-set and options, or just change your stats and resistances."

OST Selections:
Castle Corridor
www.youtube.com

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow OST - Castle Corridor

Developer: Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo Publisher: Konami Composers: Michiru Yamane, Takashi Yoshida, Soshiro Hokkai Franchise: Castlevania
Clock Tower
www.youtube.com

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow OST - Clock Tower

Developer: Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo Publisher: Konami Composers: Michiru Yamane, Takashi Yoshida, Soshiro Hokkai Franchise: Castlevania

Klonoa_-_Door_to_Phantomile.png

What ghibli99 has to say:

"A platformer with tons of heart, this was one of the most pleasant surprises on the PS1, and parts of it made me misty-eyed. This was during an era when Namco could do very little wrong, with CG sequences that were miles beyond most, and visuals and music that stayed with you."

OST Highlights:
The Beginnings of Gales
www.youtube.com

Klonoa - Door to Phantomile (PS1) Music - Vision 1-1 The Begginings of Gales

Klonoa - Door to Phantomile (PS1) Music - Vision 1-1 The Begginings of Gales Download all my Soundtracks as MP3 here http://www.nes-snes-sprites.com/
The Legendary Kingdom
www.youtube.com

Klonoa - Door to Phantomile (PS1) Music - Vision 6-1 The Legendary Kingdom

Klonoa - Door to Phantomile (PS1) Music - Vision 6-1 The Legendary Kingdom Download all my Soundtracks as MP3 here http://www.nes-snes-sprites.com/

We're getting into some really amazing games now.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I like to believe Sonic 1 MS sneaks in the platforms selection for Sonic 1 Genesis as a way to trojan horse the more enjoyable Sonic 1 into our esteemed list.

If DKC3 doesn't make it, the whole list is automatically invalidated.
DKC3 being snubbed is on brand, just look at Smash Bros
Ultimate my arse

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I'm happy that my favourite games are not in the list yet, because I'm sure that they are somewhere.
I want Galaxy 2 on the podium !

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, at least you got an up special, and three spirits

latest

88px-Baron_K_Roolenstein_Spirit.png

108px-Ellie_the_Elephant.png

108px-Dixiekongenhanced.png

Better than the last few games which...had nothing at all lol
Small steps forward, maybe we'll get a music rip of GBA Frosty Frolics next time.
I've been rocking the Dixie and Kiddy online avatar since launch in the hopes that lord Sakurai hears my pleas.
Of course if avatars equated to anything than the Shantae thirst brigade would've had their mission completed by now.

Results 40-31
OP
OP
PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018

Results 40-31. Some heavyhitters today, including the peak entries for some major franchises, and the list debut of others.
Kirby_Super_Star.png

What Terraforce has to say:

"The Jack of All trades of Kirby, except nearly all of the individual games are fun. Great Cave Offensive in particular is one of the most enjoyable Kirby experiences. And if you want something more challenging, the various Arenas have that covered as well. Ultra in particular adds even more minigames and modes which makes the already great package that much better."

OST Highlights:
Meta Knight's Revenge
www.youtube.com

Meta Knight's Revenge - Kirby Super Star

Music: Meta Knight's Revenge Composers: Jun Ishikawa & Dan Miyakawa Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF3A344B92BCC9F54 Platform: SNES
Marx's Theme
www.youtube.com

Marx's Theme - Kirby Super Star

Music: Marx's Theme Composers: Jun Ishikawa & Dan Miyakawa Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF3A344B92BCC9F54 Platform: SNES

Banjo-Tooie.png

What Lulzwagon has to say:

"There was (and still is) something amazing about exploring the vast, interconnected worlds of Banjo Tooie. I played and enjoyed Kazooie, but it felt like an alternate version of Mario 64. Tooie felt like the franchise discovering its own identity. Endless exploration, discovering connections between levels and the obviously amazing soundtrack made it an experience to behold."

OST Highlights:
Mayahem Temple
www.youtube.com

Mayahem Temple - Banjo-Tooie

Music: Mayahem Temple Composer: Grant Kirkhope Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9D5D10375437CCA1 Platform: Nintendo 64
Mr. Patch
www.youtube.com

Mr. Patch - Banjo-Tooie

Music: Mr. Patch Composer: Grant Kirkhope Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9D5D10375437CCA1 Platform: Nintendo 64

Spyro_the_Dragon.png

What PaulloDEC has to say:

"The chilled-out soundtrack and dreamy pastel visuals of Spyro never fail to put me in a calmer, happier place. Smooth, satisfying controls and wide-open stages make running, jumping and gliding around Spyro's world scooping up gems a pure pleasure."

OST Highlights:
Artisan's Homeworld
Sunny Flight

Ori_and_the_Blind_Forest.png

What stealthyfrog has to say:

"The platforming is top-notch, giving us the bash move which feels oh-so-satisfying to execute as well as other more typical toys to play with like a wall jump and glide. The infamous escape sequences provide a nail-biting exam of your skills learned in progressing through the overworld and the preceding dungeons. The narrative is shockingly emotional for a 2D platformer, presented with a few pre-rendered cutscenes between chapters that are well complemented by Gareth Coker's soundtrack."

OST Highlights:
Ori, Lost in the Storm
www.youtube.com

Ori and the Blind Forest OST - 01 - Ori, Lost In the Storm (feat. Aeralie Brighton)

Ori and the Blind Forest Soundtrack Developer: Moon Studios Publisher: Microsoft Studios Composer: Gareth Coker feat. Aeralie Brighton, Rachel Mellis and Tom...
Up the Sprit Cavern's Walls
www.youtube.com

Ori and the Blind Forest OST - 08 - Up the Spirit Caverns Walls (feat. Tom Boyd)

Ori and the Blind Forest Soundtrack Developer: Moon Studios Publisher: Microsoft Studios Composer: Gareth Coker feat. Aeralie Brighton, Rachel Mellis and Tom...

Psychonauts.png

What Psychonaut has to say:

"Psychonauts is my favorite game of all time, the game I've played from front to back more than any other, and the game that gives me the best vibes of any other game out there. Its whole game is sweet, innocent, and funny-- I love just exploring the laid back summer camp environment-- but this game really shines in its level design. If you are one of the five people on Earth who has never played it, go in blind right now. You owe it to yourself."

OST Highlights:
Whispering Rock Psycho Summer Camp
www.youtube.com

02 Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp

Music from the Psychonauts Soundtrack
The Meat Circus
www.youtube.com

Psychonauts OST - The Meat Circus

Music From The Psychonauts Official Soundtrack

Dustforce.png

What Jin has to say:

"An absolute masterpiece in mechanics in a platformer, nothing has come close to it for me in 2D platformers since then. Great variety of difficulties, varied gameplay and a LOT of content be it player-made or not."

OST Highlights:
Cider Time
www.youtube.com

Lifeformed - Cider Time (Fastfall - Dustforce OST)

Music for an indie game called Dustforce. If you like my music, you can support me by getting the full album for just $3.99 at http://lifeformed.bandcamp.com...
Pillars of Pepper
www.youtube.com

Lifeformed - Pillars of Pepper (Fastfall - Dustforce OST)

Music for an indie game called Dustforce. If you like my music, you can support me by getting the full album for just $3.99 at http://lifeformed.bandcamp.com...

VVVVVV.png

What OniluapL has to say:

"Terry Cavanagh took the main mechanic of inverting gravity and took it the furthest anyone would think possible. The quality of the level design is amazing, the game is fast, hard but forgiving with frequent checkpoints, great at every single element. It's also full of charm, both in it's minimalist style and sparse story, but mainly, I love how every screen gets its own title, some very funny and creative, making each one feels more special."

OST Highlights:
Pushing Onwards
www.youtube.com

VVVVVV Soundtrack 04/16 "Pushing Onwards"

Buy the HQ music at http://www.souleye.se/ or check out more game music! Also, be sure to check out http://www.youtube.com/user/SoulEyeDigitalMusic and subsc...
Potential for Anything
www.youtube.com

VVVVVV Soundtrack 10/16 "Potential For Anything"

Buy the HQ music at http://www.souleye.se/ or check out more game music! Also, be sure to check out http://www.youtube.com/user/SoulEyeDigitalMusic and subsc...

Jak_and_Daxter_-_Precursor_Legacy.png

What Sasliquid has to say:

"The best showcase for 3D platformers from its generation. The consistent world, while remaining true to the collectathon of the previous generation, is the way platformers should of gone going forward."

OST Highlights:
Sentinel Beach
www.youtube.com

Sentinel Beach - Jak and Daxter OST

A full playlist with all tracks can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOhUeZmJsfpPN0ORri9QWCRwGTD9Wzh_Q ↓ More below! ↓ This is the Offic...
The Citadel
www.youtube.com

The Citadel - Jak and Daxter OST

A full playlist with all tracks can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOhUeZmJsfpPN0ORri9QWCRwGTD9Wzh_Q ↓ More below! ↓ This is the Offic...

Donkey_Kong_Country.png

What futurememory has to say:

"One of my favorite games to play co-op, DKC has a ton of fun and silliness packed into its SNES package. The graphics still look amazing in 2020, and the mine cart levels will make you howl and laugh in disbelief and frustration. By no means a hidden gem, but if you haven't experienced this one yet, give it a look."

OST Highlights:
Island Swing
www.youtube.com

Donkey Kong Country OST 4 Island Swing

Island Swing
Gang-Plank Galleon

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Castlevania_-_Symphony_of_the_Night.png

What CJCW? has to say:

"An iconic game in the Metroidvania subgenre, and with good reason. It added a crucial element to this type of game that, in hindsight, should have been there all along, that being an emphasis on RPG stats and leveling. More than that, SOTN excels in level design, with an intricate map that is a joy to explore and slowly memorize over the course of your playthrough. The music is some of the best in any game regardless of genre, and the sprite work is still gorgeous to this day."

OST Highlights:
Dance of Pales
www.youtube.com

Castlevania SOTN: Dance of Pales

Dance of Pales
Lost Painting
www.youtube.com

Castlevania SOTN: Lost Painting

Painting

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of stuff today that I love on there. DKC1, Spyro the Dragon, Jak & Daxter, and Banjo-Tooie were all favorites of mine as a kid. Psychonauts and Kirby Superstar were also great stuff.

Replaying Spyro 1 via the Reignited Trilogy brought back a ton of memories.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Really glad Jak and Daxter made it, at a pretty high spot although I would have put it even higher.

DKC and Ori are pretty good also, though I don't agree with DKC being above DKCR.

OP
OP
PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Dustforce is the surprising underdog I referenced earlier! I feel like it's hands down the highest ranked game on the list relative to how much I have heard people talk about it, though I can't speak for if everyone will agree once they see the rest of the top 30.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Dustforce is my favorite platformer of all time, pretty much. It's hard as balls but really - nothing else is like it.

I'm very proud of my Double S+ achievement on the Steam version!

Oct 25, 2017
So glad to see Psychonauts on this list. I would have put it on my list over Tony Hawk, but it just somehow slipped my mind, which is weird because I would count it among my favorite games of all time.

It's arguably the best-written game ever. The jokes not only are plentiful, but they all land. It's certainly the funniest game ever for my money. Most games are bad at comedy when they try it. This game excels at it.

I must also say that the creativity and art design in each mind is fantastic. The level layouts are quite creative as well. It's a game known for the challenge of the Meat Circus, but the platforming is legit, especially once you're able to levitiate.

Great, great game, one of the all-time great 3D platformers as well.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm very impressed Dustforce ranked this high. Haven't played it myself but have heard plenty of glowing praise over the years

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Quick opinions:
  • 40 - Kirby Super Star: Awesome game, glad to see it high. I'd hope Planet Robobot also made it but it's unlikely now really.
  • 39 - Banjo-Tooie: I love this game, it's Banjo-Kazooie but bigger. Sometimes they went too far but some of the ideas on the game are wonderful, like the interactions between levels which is something I haven't seen in other games.
  • 32 - Donkey Kong Country: Seeing this one here makes me suspect DKC3 didn't make it... Oh well. DKC1 is still a fun game, many people try to paint it as a bad game that people only enjoy because of the graphics but I'll forever disagree.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
wooooooooooooooooow

sotn not even top 30
My guess is because the actual platforming is not so robust. Whether you prefer SOTN or Super Metroid (they're both brilliant) it's undeniable that Super Metroid has a lot more going on with the running and jumping mechanics. That's going to weigh a lot for people considering the Metroidvanias in a vote like this.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have never hear of Dustforce and sadly it is not BC on Xbox. I am also very shock SOTN didn't make top 10

OP
OP
PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
My guess is because the actual platforming is not so robust. Whether you prefer SOTN or Super Metroid (they're both brilliant) it's undeniable that Super Metroid has a lot more going on with the running and jumping mechanics.

Yup, most Metroidvanias struggled, just as Cuphead did as a run and gun. I believe their lukewarm placements here reflect how essential people view them specifically as platformers, relative to other platformers. Doesn't mean they're not essential, just reflects that people are polarized on whether or not "Metroidvanias" have evolved into their own genre or if they remain a subgenre thats DNA is still directly connected to platforming.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is because the actual platforming is not so robust. Whether you prefer SOTN or Super Metroid (they're both brilliant) it's undeniable that Super Metroid has a lot more going on with the running and jumping mechanics. That's going to weigh a lot for people considering the Metroidvanias in a vote like this.

I guess so. I considered it a shoo in for the top 10 honestly.