• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The emergence of a neo-Nazi group in Maine tested the values of a famously liberal restaurant this summer, and the restaurant failed that test, having chosen to accommodate racists over an activist on its own staff. The scandal at Slates, a bakery and bistro in Hallowell, shows how these extremist views worm their way into mainstream politics, and how wage laborers who speak out against hate, even on their own time, risk both their lives and their livelihoods in an economic system that punishes dissent and rewards silent complicity among members of the working class.

In January of last year, Mainer editor-at-large Crash Barry and Mainer contributor Andy O'Brien (then a political reporter and editor at the Rockland Free Press) revealed that the town manager of the tiny North Woods community of Jackman, Tom Kawczynski, is a neo-Nazi working to establish a white ethno-state in Maine, which is already one of whitest states in the nation. Kawczynski promptly lost his job, but the story made national news and raised his profile in the white-power movement, earning him appearances at a conference headlined by former Klan leader and state lawmaker David Duke, and on podcasts by hatemongers like Christopher Cantwell, a.k.a. The Crying Nazi, who broadcasts from neighboring New Hampshire.

Kawczynski has continued to organize racists in Maine in preparation for what he calls a "second civil war" — efforts Barry exposed in two subsequent articles for Mainer's predecessor publication, The Bollard (see "Crashing the Nazi's Dinner Party," March 2018, and "Maine neo-Nazi vows violence, writes book," Sept. 2018). Earlier this summer, Kawczynski and his wife, Dana Steele — whose explicitly pro-Nazi posts on the social-media hate site Gab were published in The Bollard — set up a Facebook group called Maine for Mainers.
Maine for Mainers is a textbook example of how white supremacists successfully camouflage extremist views under cover of conservative talking points like toughening immigration laws, putting "citizens" first, and defending "traditional American values." "Maine for Mainers is a public discussion and organization group for US citizens residing in the state of Maine who believe our government's primary and singular responsibility is to our own people in this state," reads the bio on the group's Facebook page, which is still active.

The neo-Nazis' group attracted over 360 members in a matter of weeks, including Republican state lawmaker Shelley Rudnicki and former Maine State Rep. Paula Sutton. It also attracted the attention of MacKenzie Swift, a young woman who worked as a server and bartender at Slates, which recently celebrated its 40th year in Hallowell, a small town on the Kennebec River just south of Augusta, the state capital.

In late July, Swift published a post on her personal Facebook page calling attention to Maine for Mainers' "racist rhetoric," the fact it's "run by white supremacists," and that its membership comprised "lots of public figures including state politicians and business owners who clearly are either white supremacists or at the very least associated with them."
An active member of Kawczynski's neo-Nazi cabal, Camille Cheaney Patterson, identified Swift's place of employment from her Facebook profile and shared her personal information with fellow racists in Maine and beyond, a practice called doxxing. According to Swift, a member of the Maine for Mainers group then posted a threat against her boyfriend and his kids, writing that "he should be more careful since he has children."

Members of the hate group and its supporters also started pressuring Slates owner Wendy Larson, demanding she denounce or terminate Swift for her online activism. They accused Swift of libeling their group, made disparaging comments about her appearance, and vowed to show up at her workplace as customers.

The racists were further riled by Swift's assertion, in a Facebook post, that she would not be fired from Slates because the restaurant is renowned for its progressivism. In the 1980s, Slates' public stand for gay rights prompted a domestic terrorist to open fire on the establishment, and Larson has continued to be a vocal advocate for peace and social justice. The restaurant flies rainbow flags and has a mural outside depicting a black male hand and a white female hand forming the shape of a heart over the world.
Swift asked Larson for the names of those who'd sent messages to Slates defending the white-power group, so she could file protection-from-harassment orders against them. Larson refused, but eventually agreed to give the messages, which filled over a dozen pages, to the Hallowell Police Department. The cops refused to take any action and denied Swift access to the documents unless she hired an attorney to request them, she said.

Both Larson and Hallowell Police Chief Eric Nason claimed the messages contained no explicit threats against Slates or its workers. Nason didn't even write a report. "It was just a lot of drama is what it is," the police chief told the KJ. "People are expressing opinions back and forth, and people feel strongly about a particular subject, and that's when Facebook kind of blows up."
Larson told the paper she'd refused to share the names with Swift because she worried Swift would make them public, potentially damaging the reputations of the hate group's members and supporters. "I don't want either side hurting anybody," she said.

Swift told her boss she didn't feel safe at Slates in the wake of the controversy and was trying to get other workers to cover her shifts until it blew over. "Wendy told me that she wouldn't give me any help finding coverage for my shifts and that if I didn't find coverage on my own, I was fired," Swift told the KJ last month. Larson advised her to "come face the music and be 'gentler' with the white supremacists," said Swift.

Larson confirmed to the paper that she pressured Swift to get back to work, under threat of termination, despite the employee's fears for her safety. She added that she'd assured Swift she had a "plan" to protect her if an enraged white supremacist showed up. "If anybody ever came, I would talk to them and she could walk out the back door," Larson said.

The boss wasn't the only one who seemed to resent Swift for speaking out. "Most of my co-workers just wrote me off," she told me. "One co-worker, who was one of my best friends since I was 13, told me I was dead to her." Swift eventually stopped trying to get others to cover her shifts and no longer works at Slates. Warning her community about the neo-Nazi group effectively cost Swift her job.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep was following this since I'm originally from Maine. Its been all over the news. The "what about free speech" people were out in full force pressuring the owner to fire her. This shit is fucking disgusting and I hope someone offers her a job out of good faith because she deserves it.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Apparently they try to flag any negative reviews for removal if there's any actual comments that go along with it. Cowards.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
The worst part wasnt even the boss, the worst part was her coworkers and everyone around her that threw her under the bus. Awful story all around

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking nazis. I never thought I'd see the day when people began defending and supporting fucking nazis in this country. I thought they were the ultimate acceptable targets! But nope, 2019, and we need to be gentle to the nazis.

Fucking nazis!

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
the boss wasn't the only one who seemed to resent Swift for speaking out. "Most of my co-workers just wrote me off," she told me. "One co-worker, who was one of my best friends since I was 13, told me I was dead to her." Swift eventually stopped trying to get others to cover her shifts and no longer works at Slates. Warning her community about the neo-Nazi group effectively cost Swift her job.

This is why hate continues to fester; people are too chicken shit to call it out and don't want to "rock the boat"

it's that MLK quote all over again.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Both Larson and Hallowell Police Chief Eric Nason claimed the messages contained no explicit threats against Slates or its workers. Nason didn't even write a report. "It was just a lot of drama is what it is," the police chief told the KJ. "People are expressing opinions back and forth, and people feel strongly about a particular subject, and that's when Facebook kind of blows up."

To protect and serve.

MAN_FLANNEL

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): dismissive commentary around extremism, account in junior phase
"Woman doesn't show up to work and gets fired."

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Maine
0632-D269-93-FF-41-DE-9178-963519-B31-FE9.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
All the energy and manpower to protect white supremacy

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Woman doesn't show up to work and gets fired."

You're ignoring the fact that the woman was doxxed, harassed and threatened by a white supremacy group. Would you mind explaining why you have nothing to say on this subject?

An active member of Kawczynski's neo-Nazi cabal, Camille Cheaney Patterson, identified Swift's place of employment from her Facebook profile and shared her personal information with fellow racists in Maine and beyond, a practice called doxxing. According to Swift, a member of the Maine for Mainers group then posted a threat against her boyfriend and his kids, writing that "he should be more careful since he has children."

Members of the hate group and its supporters also started pressuring Slates owner Wendy Larson, demanding she denounce or terminate Swift for her online activism. They accused Swift of libeling their group, made disparaging comments about her appearance, and vowed to show up at her workplace as customers

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The "progressive" boss and co-workers, along with the police, saying "don't rock the boat if you don't want to get death threats" tells you all you need to know about their attitudes towards Nazis.

This is why speaking out about racism is so hard - so many so-called allies have skin in the game because their friends and family members are the ones you're calling out.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The "progressive" boss and co-workers, along with the police, saying "don't rock the boat if you don't want to get death threats" tells you all you need to know about their attitudes towards Nazis.

This is why speaking out about racism is so hard - so many so-called allies have skin in the game because their friends and family members are the ones you're calling out.
That I been saying. Folks can call out Trump when he is saying some conspiracy but get real quiet when Grandma or Grandpa says or post the same thing

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This situation is like a confluence of every shitty thing about modern society in politics: white liberals who are too naive to recognize a regressive threat; social media refusing to stop a doxxing and harassment campaign; and law enforcement too far up their own ass to stop a white supremacist group they probably sympathize with.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
"A young man with a swastika tattoo on his neck once came into the bakery and it made me uncomfortable, but I still sold him a cookie," Larson said. "I think that if [neo-Nazis] came into our restaurant they would be surrounded by diversity that they may not otherwise be exposed to. That may help change their opinion."

You absolute dummy.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
another trash ass small town in maine, i know of many. (i live in maine)

"Her push was that I say publicly that white supremacists are not welcome at Slates," Larson added. "I said to her I am a business owner, and I do welcome all people. There's no way I can ask somebody coming through the door, 'What are your affiliations?' And as long as everyone is respectful to each other, I feel like this is a public place. I am not a supporter of white supremacy, but that is me personally."

got all that artwork up, but when it comes to time to really speak the fuck up, this is what she gives.

that police chief should've lost his job years ago after the sexual misconduct allegations.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine finding out everyone around you is pro nazi or a sympathizer like this. Yikes, how shitty.

Nov 17, 2017
Me reading the title of this thread:

dee.jpg

Now now, we would want to ruin the reputation of these good people by revealing that they're white supremacists and nazis who are also threatening you. Now get back to work.

Oct 27, 2017
Nason didn't even write a report. "It was just a lot of drama is what it is," the police chief told the KJ. "People are expressing opinions back and forth, and people feel strongly about a particular subject, and that's when Facebook kind of blows up."

Fuck you, Eric Nason, racist white supremacist pig. Just fuck you.

Larson told the paper she'd refused to share the names with Swift because she worried Swift would make them public, potentially damaging the reputations of the hate group's members and supporters. "I don't want either side hurting anybody," she said.

Also, fuck this restaurant. Just as bad, if not worse, than these nazi fucks.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Just goes to show though, you can't trust without anyone will stand with you without evidence. Faith must always be tested.

Oct 27, 2017
This is why hate continues to fester; people are too chicken shit to call it out and don't want to "rock the boat"

it's that MLK quote all over again.
Yep. This is it.

Posted a shorter snippet of it in the "can you be friends with someone who holds a different political opinion" thread where we had privileged members of Era who were white defending their friendships with racists, neo-nazis and homophobes.

This also goes for "allies", lol, who refuse to call out and disassociate with their vile family members and are protected by their privilege.

MLK from the Birmingham Jail on the white moderate;

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"

It rings as true today as it did back then. It's also why the term "ally" is a non sequitur often and almost always.

They are far and few between. This woman is one. The people who post on message boards and facebook commenting on police brutality or explicit racism who think that makes them one, they are not.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Yep. This is it.

Posted a shorter snippet of it in the "can you be friends with someone who holds a different political opinion" thread where we had privileged members of Era who were white defending their friendships with racists, neo-nazis and homophobes.

This also goes for "allies", lol, who refuse to call out and disassociate with their vile family members and are protected by their privilege.

MLK from the Birmingham Jail on the white moderate;

It rings as true today as it did back then. It's also why the term "ally" is a non sequitur often and almost always.

They are far and few between. This woman is one. The people who post on message boards and facebook commenting on police brutality or explicit racism who think that makes them one, they are not.

If there's anything I've learned from being a member of a few marginalized groups, an ally is never an ally until they prove themselves when it truly matters. Until then it's, at best, a promise.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
This situation is like a confluence of every shitty thing about modern society in politics: white liberals who are too naive to recognize a regressive threat; social media refusing to stop a doxxing and harassment campaign; and law enforcement too far up their own ass to stop a white supremacist group they probably sympathize with.

Now to take it a couple steps further, just imagine the exact same situation, except that rather than a white supremacist group making the threats against someone exposing them, it's some radical Islamic group. It would be headline news and the military would probably show up.

Or imagine that it's still a white supremacist group, but this time it's 1945 instead of 2019... It would be headline news and the military would probably show up.

Yeah the US has regressed by almost a century.