• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
$220 for a "nice" steak meal for two??

Am I just spoiled because I live in New Orleans? We don't specialize in steaks, but we have so many fantastic restaurants that are well under $100 for two.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

Am I just spoiled because I live in New Orleans? We don't specialize in steaks, but we have so many fantastic restaurants that are well under $100 for two.

NYC is filled with good restaurants where you can eat under 20 bucks. Fact of the matter is, here there is a wide berth of food options, which is part of the reason why the food scene is great. NO might not specialize in steakhouses, but I'd wager, without looking, that a good steakhouse there aren't that much cheaper, if at all.

You definitely don't need to have pricey steakhouses in order to have a great food scene, but a few here and there doesn't hurt.

I need to get around to it one day. Honestly, you don't need to be railing regular steaks every other day, nevermind a cut of Kobe straight out of Hyogo, lol.

There's also the fact that for those prices, there are more interesting meals that aren't as prestige-driven as eating a Kobe steak.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Authentic kobe beef is pricey as hell. IIRC there's only like a dozen or so restaurants that are certified to sell it (other places use the wagyu variant). This was my bill a few years ago from one of the those restaurants for a 6 oz steak:
hV0jgdk.jpg

Holy All My Jesus!!!!! And that was 1 person.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
A really good butcher with really good aging shows what you can do.

many steakhouses don't.
The good ones though are worth it, tho again, if you can get their meat, you can accomplish much of it at hone

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

Beat place for food in the western world... You have better choices that "just steak". Love New Orleans, it's music, it's culture, and it's peerless cooking culture. I'm jealous (love living in Seattle, but it's effectively a food desert in comparison)

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
We have some decent steak houses where I live, but my wife will tell everyone that she doesn't like them becuase I cook the best steak in the city *humblebrag*. But seriously, I it is tough to find a spot that doesn't just buy medicore meat from Sysco then try to pass it off as gourmet steak. All you need is salt and pepper and finish with butter in a cast iron. Sure you can get fancy with a green egg or sous vide, but why? Salt, pepper, butter is all you need. And will beat the pants off Ruth's Chris.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
This is my favorite steak place. The Buckhorn Exchange in Denver. The Buffalo Prime Rib is where it is at. This place is also pretty expensive as you need to buy sides separately but that prime rib is the best hunk of red meat I have ever had.

Oct 30, 2017
i am not opposed to expensive steaks, but IMO steaks are a waste of wagyu. it's way too fatty to eat a slab like that.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
200 bucks for a signature experience isn't that crazy. People do it for things they care about quite often.

If very fatty and tender beef imported from the other side of the globe isn't your jam, that's perfectly fine. It's a luxury item, and by no means a necessity.

Authentic kobe beef is pricey as hell. IIRC there's only like a dozen or so restaurants that are certified to sell it (other places use the wagyu variant). This was my bill a few years ago from one of the those restaurants for a 6 oz steak:
hV0jgdk.jpg

Eating a steak salad right before eating a Kobe steak? Oh, you card.

An oz of Glen 12 for 15 bucks isn't even that bad of headcracking, either.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Once you get to $70ish dollars the taste of the steak isn't getting much better, just the ambiance of the restaurant.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quality has its price but as with everything else, there are diminishing returns.

Shocked to see most of you whining about the costs though when you all call for living wages as well.

Most restaurants have to sell for thrice the value they have bought stuff so that all the other costs are covered as well.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
$220 steak? Thats like eating a car payment and saying fuck you to starving people in the world.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Beat place for food in the western world... You have better choices that "just steak". Love New Orleans, it's music, it's culture, and it's peerless cooking culture. I'm jealous (love living in Seattle, but it's effectively a food desert in comparison)

Ugh don't remind me of Seattle, I moved here a few years ago from Houston and the difference between the food culture is night and day.

Holy All My Jesus!!!!! And that was 1 person.

To be fair that was for 3 people; they just wrote 1 guest for some reason. No way I can eat all that solo lol.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a steak more than like $70 I think, it was good, but not all that much better than a steak for $30 to me. I'm sure people who are real steak aficianados, the Ron Swansons of the world, could appreciate it, but for me it's like the difference between a $75 bottle of wine, $30 bottle of wine, and $15 bottle of wine. Like, the difference between the $30 and $75 bottle of wine is basically null to me, I just can't tell a difference, and the $15 and $30 there's some difference. But, like the $8 to $15 is a big difference.

Interestingly, it's weird how steaks scale up similarly to wine for me.

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
I had matsuzaka wagyu at a small steak restaurant above a butcher in Tokyo, the old man was super proud of his meat and brought the uncooked steak to the table for you to admire before cooking lol

It was 10 000 yen for the matsuzaka beef, but it's really too rich for one person to eat the entire thing by themselves so we also had some cheaper steaks with less marbling and shared.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
High-end steakhouses are always expensive because they dry-age their beef. Basically that involves putting it in an extremely temperature controlled room so that a crust forms around it. Supposedly that holds in all the juices that typically aren't there when you wet age (stick it in a cooler). However it's not a process that's easily replicated, and if you just try it at home you're going to end up with a room of moldy meat.

Honestly it's not worth the extra cost. Maybe a once-in-a-year meal for a super-special occasion. Otherwise just go to Outback.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
thing i missed the most about my japan trip (damn covid cancelled my 2nd trip last year) was getting wagyu in osaka. Was worth every yen. tossed on the grill for like 30 seconds and it'll just melt in your mouth

It was of course a pricey meal but not upcharged via import costs at least.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
I tried Venissa in Venice once. I think it's a 1 or 2 star Michelin. Expensive, but their wine is unreal.

Last edited:

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I could pay quite a lot for good food and drinks. I remember eating Wagyu once and that was worth every penny

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember going to some super high end steakhouse in Raleigh NC once. Everything was a la carte. I was prepared to drop like two hundo for the whole meal. My steak (filet) cost $85, and it was very, very disappointing. Never again.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
The most I've ever spent on myself for a meal was about $180 and that was for a 10 course tasting menu at a Michelin star restaurant.

Paying $220 for a steak by itself is bonkers.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Now I really wanna try Wagyu. Might be a request of mine for my birthday coming up. Seen some good reviews about Don Julio 1942 as well. Will add that the list.