• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, how dumb do you have to be to pay $18 for a damn skin.

Do you min-max the value proposition for every purchase you make?
Who are you to mock someone's decision to spend money in a free game they play for hundreds of hours?

To be fair, I think $18 is not a completely reasonable price, but I wouldn't question another's intelligence for opting in.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Just for an interesting contrast on the cost of character skins and such in the free-to-play market of games, take Warframe as a counter-example:
  • Warframe has nearly no random loot box-type available for purchase with premium currency, certainly nothing with cosmetics like here in Apex. (The only remaining example in the game are packs of five random relics, but relic packs can also be bought with earned syndicate standing.) All cosmetics in Warframe are bought either a la carte or in slightly discounted bundles.
  • Platinum in Warframe costs $19.99 for 370p on the low end, and $199.99 for 4300p on the high end. The game also frequently gives out discount coupons as a login bonus, often of 25% or 50%, but also up to 75% off these prices. Price Access packs also include large amounts of plat at an overall lower price. Bought platinum is also freely trade-able between players of the game. So, many players play mostly for free, but for those who do buy in, it is probably not at those raw prices.

• One of Warframe's cosmetics are deluxe skins for the warframes. These deluxe skins are almost always a different model for the frame (so, not simply a palette swap or different textures on the base model). These range in cost from 150p-165p, which roughly translates to $7-$9 per skin if you buy platinum at full price. But consider all that discounted and traded platinum, and the overall price is less for arguably most players!

• There are also community-created Tennogen skins for frames sold though Steam. These have different textures on the body of the frame along with a custom modeled helmet. These usually cost $7 in Steam funds and Digital Extremes shares this revenue with the creators.
So:

Apex - $7 random packs, $18 skins straight out

Warframe - no random skins in packs, $7-9 skins straight out but likely cheaper overall for many players.

Just thought that was an interesting comparison to make.

I actually wonder who's actually buying relic packs at this point outside of the syndicate rep. They're far too easy to get and because of that, they're kind of over priced at 50p for one. Thats probably why they got rid of the random mod packs not too long ago, also far too easy to get those mods and most players who've been around for a while will just give you one if you ask for it. Depending on your team comp, you can get 4 - 5 relics in like 10 minutes playing on a good defense node.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
While I think $18 for a skin is outrageous I'm glad they can be purchased on their own, now the market can decide whether or not the price is for them or not, this is how I think all games should do it at a minimum.
Agreed.

I expect sales to be very slow at these prices. Ideally I think things priced in the "impulse purchase" range makes more sense. Making people hesitate or even recoil at sticker shock isn't a great way to drive sales. I guess we'll see...if they share some analytics with us, anyway.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I would glady pay 5 dollar for these skins. But almost 20 bucks for a single one is just insane.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The real insult to injury is that the game has been a technical catastrophe since the last major patch.

In general, Apex seems to be a low priority for Respawn.

Whereas Epic restructured nearly everything around Fortnite, Respawn has 3-4 active AAA projects in development.
Respawn adds content to the game like twice a quarter, whereas Fortnite updates are ??weekly??

I complain because I love the game, and wish it got more love from Respawn

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Holy shit at people spending $20 to make your character look different.... That's like the price of a Skyrim and Witcher expansion which add 30-40 hours of content.

And I'd play that expansion for an hour or two before getting bored and quitting...

Or I could buy a skin that I could wear for 100s of hours while I play a game that I enjoy.

Nah the skin is definitely a better deal.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
After all these videos and discutions, it's still my answer. Just cosmetic, in a free game. They don't owe you nothing. Of it's in a paid game tho, that's unacceptable for me.
And that's your right but acting like cosmetics don't impact the game and peoples experience with it just because it's free is silly in my opinion. There's also this weird strawman I've been seeing that anyone that is complaining about excessive monetisation in free to play games just want everything for free (not saying you're doing this specifically but I've seen it quite a bit in similar threads and discussions). Cosmetics are a big part of multiplayer games for me personally and I'm more than willing to pay for them as long as they're not ridiculously monetised.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
And that's your right but acting like cosmetics don't impact the game and peoples experience with it just because it's free is silly in my opinion. There's also this weird strawman I've been seeing that anyone that is complaining about excessive monetisation in free to play games just want everything for free (not saying you're doing this specifically but I've seen it quite a bit in similar threads and discussions). Cosmetics are a big part of multiplayer games for me personally and I'm more than willing to pay for them as long as they're not ridiculously monetised.

Yeah, as you say that's not what I mean here. And I know some people play for cosmetics and it's part of the experience for them, no problem with that. But I can excuse 18$ skins as it funds a free game and does not impact the balance of gameplay. I'm just salty this is already in the dna of paid solo games too now.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Problem remains. The cosmetic skins are not unimportant to the gullible people who drop hundreds on them.

The entire marketplace from the lootboxes to the 18 dollar skins are ways to exploit people who can't help themselves. So while most people say "it doesn't affect me" they're right. But it is targeted at different people than YOU.

You should care because it's is a system that was put in place to go after these gullible people. They're targets.

Please retire "It's just cosmetic." from your vocab.

I honestly can't believe the extremely high number of people on this site that play the "it doesn't hurt me" card

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm not going to defend the 18-20$ prices of (Legendary, so the most expensive kind) skins in Apex and Fort, but in Fort it's not that black and white. When you buy the Battle Pass (950 vBucks, which is close to $10 and nets you a lot of cosmetics), you get 1500 vBucks in return if you get to tier ~95 (out of 100), which is easily doable every season. So if you play a season, that's a 5 bucks discount on your next purchase. Besides that, if you own Save the World, you get 150 or 300 vBucks a week just from logging in every day. So yeah, 2000 vBucks = 20$ when you buy it with your mother's creditcard, sure, but there are in-game ways to get get vBucks for less money or even free.

I don't think Apex has this model though. I believe the currency you buy with real money is a different currency than the one you get in the Battle Pass/in Loot Boxes/in-game, but I could be wrong here. It's been a while since I last played the game.

Iirc games like DOTA 2 and LoL have been selling skins for prices like these for way longer than Fortnite/Apex though. I remember a friend of mine back in the day being ecstatic because he was able to trade a very expensive DOTA 2 skin for some of his other loot.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
The thing that irks me is that publishers keep on pushing this shit, even when they know better.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're still making heirlooms stupid to get though. I got lucky with the wraith one and got it from a level up crate, can't really get lucky on this one.. Gotta pay up £170 or whatever it is. Fat chance.

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
Some interesting quotes from the devs.
Have you discussed lowering the shop prices? It seems drastically higher than any other F2P game or ones that sell cosmetics. I know for a fact I would buy skins at lower prices ($5-10 depending), but $18 for a character skin that I don't even see seems a bit much. Buying 4 skins would be more than paying a full MSRP ($60) for a game.

[–]dko5 Respawn DEV 2 points 4 hours ago
There is a wealth of data available on how monetization works in free-to-play games, and we ourselves have run tests by putting skins on sale in the store. The amount of people who spend is crazy low, most of ya'll are freeloaders (and we love that!) and a change in price doesn't move the needle.

Bloodhound 16 points 4 hours ago
You know we would spend more money if the skins were cheaper.. like for example, weeks and weeks go by with me looking at $18 skins and having no interest to drop that kind of money on a cosmetic, however if they were half that price, I'd probably buy something out of every week.

[–]dko5 Respawn DEV -20 points 4 hours ago
Don't know what to tell you dude - the data is very clear. We would make substantially less money, to the point where the game might not be viable.

I personally don't mind spending $20 on a skin here and there. I mean the game was free and I dumped over 100+ hours into it already. But that's just me.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
Annnnnd nothing for the people that want to earn things by playing.
wish games went back to this. part of the reason i hate f2p is they focus alot on releasing cosmetics and junk but new maps and characters come out so slowly. would rather have had a paid BR that releases with more maps, characters and cosmetics that you can earn for doing cool in game stuff so it means something. but the game industry knows people care way too much about how they look so just cater to that.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
But what makes you more apt to set a companies pricing structure for them? At what point are you more qualified to deem the value of someone else's creation?

It's weird to place this superficial idea of what you think something SHOULD be priced at. I'm all for calling out dirty business practices, but trying to imply what price is most reasonable in a f2p game is always a bit presumptuous.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
I'm not going to defend the 18-20$ prices of (Legendary, so the most expensive kind) skins in Apex and Fort, but in Fort it's not that black and white. When you buy the Battle Pass (950 vBucks, which is close to $10 and nets you a lot of cosmetics), you get 1500 vBucks in return if you get to tier ~95 (out of 100), which is easily doable every season. So if you play a season, that's a 5 bucks discount on your next purchase. Besides that, if you own Save the World, you get 150 or 300 vBucks a week just from logging in every day. So yeah, 2000 vBucks = 20$ when you buy it with your mother's creditcard, sure, but there are in-game ways to get get vBucks for less money or even free.

I don't think Apex has this model though. I believe the currency you buy with real money is a different currency than the one you get in the Battle Pass/in Loot Boxes/in-game, but I could be wrong here. It's been a while since I last played the game.

Iirc games like DOTA 2 and LoL have been selling skins for prices like these for way longer than Fortnite/Apex though. I remember a friend of mine back in the day being ecstatic because he was able to trade a very expensive DOTA 2 skin for some of his other loot.

You earn enough currency by getting to level 100 each season to buy the battle pass each season. It's the same coin you buy in the store. I think you earn 1000 per season.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
But what makes you more apt to set a companies pricing structure for them? At what point are you more qualified to deem the value of someone else's creation?

It's weird to place this superficial idea of what you think something SHOULD be priced at. I'm all for calling out dirty business practices, but trying to imply what price is most reasonable in a f2p game is always a bit presumptuous.
An individual can obviously only speak for the individual. It's their right to set their pricing structure and it's my right to express my personal agreement or disagreement, I'm obviously not trying to set their prices or pricing structure, I have neither the data, the power or the right to do so.

Also notice that I haven't stated anywhere what I consider "ridiculously monetised". In this case I refuse to play or purchase anything with loot boxes or analogous systems due to my own issues with gambling addiction, so I would consider that to be ridiculously monetised for me personally but I never stated or implied that I find $18 to be the right or wrong price, again, in my OPINION for a skin. It's obviously the market standard, just look at Fortnite and how much it's raking in with similarly priced cosmetics. I'm curious how you feel it's presumptuous though? As an example, Is saying that I want to buy a skin in Apex but I can't afford $18 and wish it was lower "presumptuous"?. What a "reasonable" price constitutes changes from person to person from day to day.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you min-max the value proposition for every purchase you make?
Who are you to mock someone's decision to spend money in a free game they play for hundreds of hours?

To be fair, I think $18 is not a completely reasonable price, but I wouldn't question another's intelligence for opting in.

I would.

It's $18, for a fucking skin.

This is why we are knee deep in this microtransaction garbage and these companies are getting more and more brazen with what they are pulling.

Screw these companies for doing this and screw anyone who supports these practices.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I would.

It's $18, for a fucking skin.

This is why we are knee deep in this microtransaction garbage and these companies are getting more and more brazen with what they are pulling.

Screw these companies for doing this and screw anyone who supports these practices.

Fortnite has 250 million players. That's a lot of people to screw.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think the objections to the high prices go away if they simultaneously offered decent skins at a LOWER price point.

You know, like most games do.

League of Legends became a billion-dollar franchise on the back of skin sales. Their skins range from $3-$30. There are like 4 skins out of several hundred that approach $30 and maybe 20 that are $20. The average skin price is around $5-$7. And guess what? Engagement in the League of Legends MTX store is high as hell.

Fortnite is a game I continue to see mentioned because they also have $20 skins. These mentions seem hella disingenuous to me becasue Fortnite also has skins that regularly appear in their storefront rotation that are priced around $8.

Other games like Dota 2 operate the same way. There's cheap stuff...then there's the $30 shit that changes sounds, voiceovers, visual effects, and so on. It's flashy, epic, and allows for maximum peacocking by their wearers.

Shit man, we can go all the way back to at least Team Fortress 2, where there has always been a market for hats where some hats are worth pennies and others are worth thousands, depending on how rare and/or stylish an item is.

Meanwhile, Apex skins are pretty much always $19 unless there is a discount of some kind and with rare exception always look uninspired, dry, bland and tasteless. There really isn't a tier of skins that go on sale for less than full price (or full price with a discount). Not that I've ever noticed. It's an all-or-nothing proposition designed very clearly to push people towards loot boxes. After all, dropping $19 for a mediocre looking skin isn't exciting anyone. I almost never check the store because...I mean what for? There is unlikely to be anything in there that I would even consider spending $19 for and I'm made of money.

Apex just needs skin tiers. A lot of their legendary skins are barely Epic-quality in creativity or uniqueness. Those should all be like $8-10 and skins like we're seeing in this new event would then make sense as a higher tier option.

Tiers make this go away. But they don't seem to be willing or able to dedicate enough team members to making cool skins to have the selection required to have a quality rotation of skins that look good enough to justify the price, where games like League, Dota 2 and Fortnite make sure their most expensive shit is a clear cut above. It's easier to sell things at double the price when a customer can see that double or triple the work went into making it.

The Hiveking

Oct 27, 2017
I think the objections to the high prices go away if they simultaneously offered decent skins at a LOWER price point.

You know, like most games do.

League of Legends became a billion-dollar franchise on the back of skin sales. Their skins range from $3-$30. There are like 4 skins out of several hundred that approach $30 and maybe 20 that are $20. The average skin price is around $5-$7. And guess what? Engagement in the League of Legends MTX store is high as hell.

Fortnite is a game I continue to see mentioned because they also have $20 skins. These mentions seem hella disingenuous to me becasue Fortnite also has skins that regularly appear in their storefront rotation that are priced around $8.

Other games like Dota 2 operate the same way. There's cheap stuff...then there's the $30 shit that changes sounds, voiceovers, visual effects, and so on. It's flashy, epic, and allows for maximum peacocking by their wearers.

Shit man, we can go all the way back to at least Team Fortress 2, where there has always been a market for hats where some hats are worth pennies and others are worth thousands, depending on how rare and/or stylish an item is.

Meanwhile, Apex skins are pretty much always $19 unless there is a discount of some kind and with rare exception always look uninspired, dry, bland and tasteless. There really isn't a tier of skins that go on sale for less than full price (or full price with a discount). Not that I've ever noticed. It's an all-or-nothing proposition designed very clearly to push people towards loot boxes. After all, dropping $19 for a mediocre looking skin isn't exciting anyone. I almost never check the store because...I mean what for? There is unlikely to be anything in there that I would even consider spending $19 for and I'm made of money.

Apex just needs skin tiers. A lot of their legendary skins are barely Epic-quality in creativity or uniqueness. Those should all be like $8-10 and skins like we're seeing in this new event would then make sense as a higher tier option.

Tiers make this go away. But they don't seem to be willing or able to dedicate enough team members to making cool skins to have the selection required to have a quality rotation of skins that look good enough to justify the price, where games like League, Dota 2 and Fortnite make sure their most expensive shit is a clear cut above. It's easier to sell things at double the price when a customer can see that double or triple the work went into making it.
Epic tier skins are cheaper. It's just that they've never sold them outside of events.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Epic tier skins are cheaper. It's just that they've never sold them outside of events.
that's what I mean. Epic skins are almost never available and even when they are, who cares because they're almost always ugly as sin.

Make regularly available mid-tier skins that actually don't look like shit, then offer high-tier skins that are a clear cut above in design, uniqueness and effort is how successful MTX stores do skins.

Fortnite can do no wrong.
Fortnite is god.
Fortnite allows Epic to challenge Evil Nazi Valve.
Or, something. But yeah it's bloody hilarious how up in arms people are about this...And ignoring stuff like what you pointed out.
and I suppose ignoring the thoughtful replies and attacking straw men with maximum hyperbole is how you do things.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
And to think that people were outraged over a $2.50 horse armor 10 years ago. Kids these days are willing to pay $18 for a fucking skin. What's next, $30 for shoe string colors?

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
The real insult to injury is that the game has been a technical catastrophe since the last major patch.
Ain't that the truth. Solos has been pretty fun getting a lot of wins, but overall there is nothing to work for in this game. It's just a money pit for whales now. BP is not terrible, but you would think they would at least give people a few more crates to open for playing their game.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
that's what the Battle Pass is for. people can't just expect a F2P game to have most of their MTX be earn able.
There should be more to do in this game IMHO. Yeah, the BP is okay, but you would think they might have a few more crates able to be earned in some way.

All these points we have go to nothing but color swaps, and most things don't even have those anyway.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There should be more to do in this game IMHO. Yeah, the BP is okay, but you would think they might have a few more crates able to be earned in some way.

All these points we have go to nothing but color swamps, and most things don't even have those anyway.
The BP gives worse gear than both the past events. Which is you're right, just salt in the wound.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Not sure if this is what you mean - but in reality the Iron Crown event has been a success, both with revenue and player engagement. Our numbers are up across the board.

This was not a decision made in any way other than to fix the broken promise we made to everyone at launch about providing choice on how players can get items. This doesn't mean every item is available for grind or purchase or Apex Pack - but providing ONLY Apex Packs for the Iron Crown skins was a misstep on our part.

So it's basically gonna go back to the way it was during Season 1.....

Until they can come up with another way to monetize the game without only relying on Apex Packs.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
People need something extra to stay with a game nowadays, a free box at the end of each level is a decent motivator for people to feel like they're working towards something.

Hell I love the gameplay and it's well and truly enough for me but I won't pretend I'd like to continue seeing free boxes every level for the chance of a nice skin.

Won't stop me from playing, but it'll stop plenty of other people
+1 on this and, by the way, they need to add more " value" to the Legend Coins, they are pretty useless. And when hitting level 100 you are basically getting them exclusively ( I have like 52000 legend coins and I dont know what to do with them)

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
After all these videos and discutions, it's still my answer. Just cosmetic, in a free game. They don't owe you nothing. Of it's in a paid game tho, that's unacceptable for me.
I don't owe them anything either. They're interested in me buying stuff in the game, I'm interested in buying stuff in the game. This isn't a one-way street of demands, it's a back and forth between a company and it's consumers. Consumers should be interested in getting a fair deal, companies should be interested in consumer retention (meaning those paying, as well as those playing) and making profit.

Having a discussion when the line is drawn too far to one side is fine, and it's not about being owed anything. If they felt their prices were to low to justify, they wouldn't hesitate to let players know. Likewise when people feel their pricing is too high to justify, they're fine in letting the developer know (so they can reflect and make changes where they might agree or sense a general sentiment growing among players).