• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I personally can't fathom how people can legitimately get so upset about silly costumes and decorations, but at the same time I understand that for some folks, this stuff is really important and for those folks I can see why this pricing scheme is so messed up. But jeez... "we talkin about costumes" [meant to be read in Allen Iverson's voice]. Anyways, don't mind me. Not trying to minimize what are valid concerns for some.
Discussing microtransaction pricing models on an enthusiast gaming forum is a pretty low bar for "so upset".
Calling out when devs overextend with them should be standard practice from a consumer perspective imo.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well, at least if you only want a particular skin or two, you can buy exactly what you want instead of relying on RNG crap. Still expensive but better.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the heirloom pack on that list lol. But I guess that's because technically you don't gamble on that. You just have to spend $170+ dollars.

The sad part is I know multiple people who did despite claiming they were frustrated by the cost and features etc.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else get the feeling that this whole 'We know we did wrong, we made a mistake, we're the good guys so here's how we'll fix it' routine is becoming so commonplace that it all feels like part of the marketing ploy for EA?

I don't believe they're dumb enough to make this 'mistake' I feel like it's all part of the focus tested business model.
Yeah its become a bit silly

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else get the feeling that this whole 'We know we did wrong, we made a mistake, we're the good guys so here's how we'll fix it' routine is becoming so commonplace that it all feels like part of the marketing ploy for EA?

I don't believe they're dumb enough to make this 'mistake' I feel like it's all part of the focus tested business model.

Yup.

They will push as far as they can, walk it back, and then find a new way to push as far as they can until people complain again.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't see the heirloom pack on that list lol. But I guess that's because technically you don't gamble on that. You just have to spend $170+ dollars.

The sad part is I know multiple people who did.
..and even then that's much cheaper than the Wraith heirloom if your RNG sucked and you had to rely on the 500 crate mercy rule. Ridiculous - about £350.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Translation:

"We've already fully exploited the whales, so now it's time to sweeten the deal slightly and pull in another wave of suckers. Go fuck yourselves, everyone."

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The issue was never the packs imo, Siege does very similar collections from time to time, it's that THE PRICE WAS FUCKING BONKERS. The siege collections are already pushing it and this cost over 3 times as much.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Good. The pricing on everything in the Apex store continues to be absurd though; they charge nearly as much as the highest tier of Fortnite skin (which is $20 versus $18 here) which I personally think is already too much, BUT in Fortnite you see your character all the time which you don't come even close to doing in Apex. It's always struck me as significantly odd; I honestly wonder what the internal sales numbers are for that stuff.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think a good step, for everyone, is simply to make some amount of Apex Coins farmable - even for totally F2P, non Battle Pass players. The game already has dailies, weekly, and other challenges, but only tied to XP or Battle Pass level. If they offered 10 Apex Coins for the 3 dailes, it won't ruin the game's economy.

Another idea would be to have a 30 day login event, with a bunch of small rewards, and on day 30 you get a bigger gift - something like a "Legend Skin Token," for the skin of your choice.

Both of these ideas would have players interact with the game daily - which has to be good for the game in the long run.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I don't understand the appeal of getting a character skin for a first person shooter. You hardly ever see what you purchased!

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to go to a parallel universe where publishers sell skins at a reasonable price and see which model is making more money. My friends and I always talk about how we would gladly spend money on multiple skins in games like Siege if they were more fairly priced. I imagine lots of people feel the same way but I guess publishers think that milking whales is more profitable in the end. Though I don't think I've ever seen any of the big publishers try a more reasonable price model so I wonder how they came to that conclusion. Is 10,000 people spending $15 better than 100,000 people spending $5? No idea what the numbers really look like but I've always been curious.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Wraith heirloom is a hidden random drop from crates that has a mercy at 500 crates.
Oh the heirloom! Sorry misread. Yea I agree, but it wasn't so plainly gross to me I guess. Although maybe that's just because I resigned myself to never getting it. Normal Apex packs were gross too that's for sure.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
They may be inexperienced but they sure as hell know the promises they made... Are we to believe that nobody in the whole office went 'hold on, this is not what we promised people...' or are they just testing the water to see what how far good faith will get them.
Promises with regards to what, exactly?
Respawn has never been particularly good at doing monetization. From their eyes, they probably saw "cosmetic" as "fair".
They've also never been particularly good at progression or depth either, despite what that post says.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I was playing and enjoying the game for a while there, and was almost considering buying the battle pass and coming back to it but I think I'm done. I don't trust Respawn let alone EA not to do this again.

Is it so fucking hard to find a first person shooter not with bullshit microtransactions.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
$18 sounds fine.

I see a lot of $20 skins being sold for Fortnite, another F2P game. So it seems to be in line with the competition.

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
Good that they changed it, being forced to gamble to get the item you want was a step too far imo. Bit of a shame for those that already coughed up that wouldn't have otherwise though.

I think both EA (and Epic) have previously commented that the amount of people who spend money on games like this is tiny compared to the mass player pool. So the high prices of individual items are targeted a the <0.01% that will spend. They have also commented that even if they lower the price, or have a sale, the level of interaction does not jump, and it is still just the top end of players who buy.

That definitely rings true to me. Anecdotal of course as I don't have access to the data that publishers have, but I've spent a decade now in and around many F2P games, and nearly all of the players I've known that actually spend money on F2P games don't care if the item they want is $5 or $20, they'll buy it either way. Those are the people that subsidize the large majority of people who will never spend a dime.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe people think $18 for a skin is fine lol. Fortnite really has normalised insanely bad value proposition. And countless people are just eating it up, playing to the tune.

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
I don't play Apex or Fornite, but $18 for a skin is a real thing? 18?

I'm pretty much addicted to Destiny 2, and between D1 and D2, I've played 3500-4000 hours, but I've never spent a single dime on anything the game sells.

Be real tho, $18 for a skin!?

Oct 27, 2017
As much as people like to go "but it's cosmetic only" good cosmetic items are a large attraction for many people to many games (be they mtx, rewarded from gameplay or otherwise). It's unlikely to be the sole reason for play but it is definitely a significant factor that influences many people's enjoyment.
It's why that argument is bs.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Are they serious with that price tag? 18$ for a fucking skin...
To be fair, that's the price since day 1 when you wanted to purchase certain skins. It's not something that came out of the woodwork for this event. But yes, seems ridiculous but I personally know people who still buy those skins... I mean, people pay literally 200 bucks for a knife skin in CS.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Discussing microtransaction pricing models on an enthusiast gaming forum is a pretty low bar for "so upset".
Calling out when devs overextend with them should be standard practice from a consumer perspective imo.
Folks were upset enough that Respawn felt the need to officially respond. With that said, you are correct and I won't divert the thread any longer.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Making the skins purchasable separately is the right move.

Making the skins $18 each is another, uniquely dumb move.

Its bullshit. Its EA's attempt of making up for the extra money they would passively get from the randomization element. If people can directly get what they want, you wouldn't see anywhere near the amount of money they're used to with loot boxes.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I personally can't fathom how people can legitimately get so upset about silly costumes and decorations, but at the same time I understand that for some folks, this stuff is really important and for those folks I can see why this pricing scheme is so messed up. But jeez... "we talkin about costumes" [meant to be read in Allen Iverson's voice]. Anyways, don't mind me. Not trying to minimize what are valid concerns for some.

Because most F2P games are monetised by targeting addicts. Try replace the word apex with drugs and Skin with a hit and win with high.

Ie we are greatful that you have chosen to use drugs and want to make sure everyone has a chance to get high. We understand that putting hits inside loot boxes where a hit is not guaranteed is angering our users and so we will now let you buy a hit for triple the price

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
$18 for a single skin is absolutely insane. F2P or not, 3 skins don't offer the same value as a full AAA title.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Fortnite has a different skin for sale in the store EVERY DAY and you can only get them for that day. So people spend $$$$.
This is what gets my son to bug me for a skin. " but it's only on sale today"! That shit made me laugh when I first heard him say that. Parents get sucked in when they think they're getting a deal. As another poster mentioned, I don't mind spending a bit of cash on skins if the game was free and gave me an hours of game time. Sort of like a tip. I don't care about skins personally and never bought any in my life. Just a couple for my son. I sorta feel guilty never spending any $ on Apex because I played enough of that game and it gave me a lot of enjoyment

Callandor

Oct 27, 2017
Just for an interesting contrast on the cost of character skins and such in the free-to-play market of games, take Warframe as a counter-example:
  • Warframe has nearly no random loot box-type available for purchase with premium currency, certainly nothing with cosmetics like here in Apex. (The only remaining example in the game are packs of five random relics, but relic packs can also be bought with earned syndicate standing.) All cosmetics in Warframe are bought either a la carte or in slightly discounted bundles.

• Platinum in Warframe costs $19.99 for 370p on the low end, and $199.99 for 4300p on the high end. The game also frequently gives out discount coupons as a login bonus, often of 25% or 50%, but also up to 75% off these prices. Price Access packs also include large amounts of plat at an overall lower price. Bought platinum is also freely trade-able between players of the game. So, many players play mostly for free, but for those who do buy in, it is probably not at those raw prices.

• One of Warframe's cosmetics are deluxe skins for the warframes. These deluxe skins are almost always a different model for the frame (so, not simply a palette swap or different textures on the base model). These range in cost from 150p-165p, which roughly translates to $7-$9 per skin if you buy platinum at full price. But consider all that discounted and traded platinum, and the overall price is less for arguably most players!

• There are also community-created Tennogen skins for frames sold though Steam. These have different textures on the body of the frame along with a custom modeled helmet. These usually cost $7 in Steam funds and Digital Extremes shares this revenue with the creators.
So:

Apex - $7 random packs, $18 skins straight out

Warframe - no random skins in packs, $7-9 skins straight out but likely cheaper overall for many players.

Just thought that was an interesting comparison to make.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This is what gets my son to bug me for a skin. " but it's only on sale today"! That shit made me laugh when I first heard him say that. Parents get sucked in when they think they're getting a deal. As another poster mentioned, I don't mind spending a bit of cash on skins if the game was free and gave me an hours of game time. Sort of like a tip. I don't care about skins personally and never bought any in my life. Just a couple for my son. I sorta feel guilty never spending any $ on Apex because I played enough of that game and it gave me a lot of enjoyment

I buy the battle pass every two months, but haven't paid for an actual skin yet.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it is a part of the model.

they do a ton of research on this.

they had this response planned weeks ago.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Just for an interesting contrast on the cost of character skins and such in the free-to-play market of games, take Warframe as a counter-example:
  • Warframe has nearly no random loot box-type available for purchase with premium currency, certainly nothing with cosmetics like here in Apex. (The only remaining example in the game are packs of five random relics, but relic packs can also be bought with earned syndicate standing.) All cosmetics in Warframe are bought either a la carte or in slightly discounted bundles.

• Platinum in Warframe costs $19.99 for 370p on the low end, and $199.99 for 4300p on the high end. The game also frequently gives out discount coupons as a login bonus, often of 25% or 50%, but also up to 75% off these prices. Price Access packs also include large amounts of plat at an overall lower price. Bought platinum is also freely trade-able between players of the game. So, many players play mostly for free, but for those who do buy in, it is probably not at those raw prices.

• One of Warframe's cosmetics are deluxe skins for the warframes. These deluxe skins are almost always a different model for the frame (so, not simply a palette swap or different textures on the base model). These range in cost from 150p-165p, which roughly translates to $7-$9 per skin if you buy platinum at full price. But consider all that discounted and traded platinum, and the overall price is less for arguably most players!

• There are also community-created Tennogen skins for frames sold though Steam. These have different textures on the body of the frame along with a custom modeled helmet. These usually cost $7 in Steam funds and Digital Extremes shares this revenue with the creators.
So:

Apex - $7 random packs, $18 skins straight out

Warframe - no random skins in packs, $7-9 skins straight out but likely cheaper overall for many players.

Just thought that was an interesting comparison to make.
Interesting that you use Warframe's price anchoring as an upside, hehe.
Anchoring is definitely on the "deceptive" side of ecommerce practices.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
As much as people like to go "but it's cosmetic only" good cosmetic items are a large attraction for many people to many games (be they mtx, rewarded from gameplay or otherwise). It's unlikely to be the sole reason for play but it is definitely a significant factor that influences many people's enjoyment.
It's why that argument is bs.
I can't believe nearly 2 years later this still is relevant to these discussions.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Translation:

"We've already fully exploited the whales, so now it's time to sweeten the deal slightly and pull in another wave of suckers. Go fuck yourselves, everyone."

This is basically what I always see whenever I read a statement from EA or their dev teams that include "XYZ has been a lesson".

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome move by them.

Edit: Oh wait, if you already spent a ton of money on boxes you're SOL? That's fucking rough.