• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
12345653k7d.jpg

- Gravity Well Founders
Drew and Jon have been making games together for 14 years:
CoD4: Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Titanfall 1 and 2, and Apex Legends.

423323xvkn3.jpg

42323232gejrp.jpg

Twitter: https://twitter.com/gravitywellgame

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda of a miss leading title.

Respawn was founded by Zampella and Jason West which are still at the company.

//Apperently Jason left in April for Epic.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Seems they are making an AAA game only for next-gen hardware (PS5/Series X):
"We have built nothing but AAA games and we don't want to stop," McCoy concludes. "And the transition to next-gen, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 is really exciting. It dovetails with our desire to find new spaces that people haven't explored.

"While this new generation feels like an iteration of what we've already seen, I think that things like the amount of CPU power and I/O speed actually opens up opportunities that we haven't had before. Even when the Xbox One and PS4 were in development, what we were screaming at platforms to do was give us faster I/O, please. I am excited to see where we can get to with it."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...to-launch-a-triple-a-studio-without-an-office

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
While I hope they do whatever their heart leads them, I hope it's an FPS because something about the water over there makes their gunplay...

Nothing else feels as good as the shooters they work on

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Trying to make AAA scope and budget games with a headcount under 100 is ambitious but reading the GI article, they have experience in doing just that:

McCoy and Shiring are currently seeking people to help launch Gravity Well, with an aim of reaching 80 employees.

"We shipped Titanfall with about 70 developers, Titanfall 2 with about 85, and Apex was a little over 100," McCoy says. "That is the team size we are really comfortable with. That's the size where decision making can be spread out and it doesn't need to come from someone at the top of a pyramid. You get tonnes of speed benefits because the team is smaller, they understand the game better, and they can make decisions on an hourly basis without having to interact with a bunch of other people. So keeping a team smaller, while still trying to hit all the hallmarks of a AAA game, that's the aim."

Keeping the team small -- at least for a AAA company -- will also allow employees to feel like they're making an difference, McCoy says.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
A publisher will want to cut a deal with them once they have something running, and I think they'll be smart to take it.

AAA game development is long, complex and expensive. They would know.

I'm anticipating Tencent or Epic or even Activision being in the wings.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does triple A mean "really good" or does it mean "we spent a budget of X million to make this"?

If they're keeping their team size quite small, how are they going to spend that triple A budget money?

Anyway - good luck to them - it sounds like a great adventure!

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to make AAA scope and budget games with a headcount under 100 is ambitious but reading the GI article, they have experience in doing just that:

What it really means is that you have a core team working on the scalable features of the game (core gameplay, concept art, etc.), and you outsource the unscalable bits (characters, props, textures, etc.)

Joo

May 25, 2018
I understand. It's just that they haven't stated where the budget is coming from
Well they'll do it just like every other start-up I'd imagine. There's many ways to raise capital, but usually it's just different funding rounds, private equity, angel investors, loaning etc. I doubt they have any big publishers behind them atm.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
What it really means is that you have a core team working on the scalable features of the game (core gameplay, concept art, etc.), and you outsource the unscalable bits (characters, props, textures, etc.)

yeah pretty much everyone over 100 is doing grunt work and increasing levels of inefficiency anyway. the actual creative contribution of those people is minimal - they're very much following the leads orders.

I manage a team of 10 3d artists right now and there are some days i feel like we could get just as much done with 3 of the most experienced. communicating ideas and directing people really sinks a fucking insane amount of time.
leaning into pre-made assets and materials saves a lot of time. creative decisions in planning can be made to work around it too - none of their games have needed heavy mocap studio use.

I doubt they will struggle to raise funds.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they do well. I think the gaming industry could really benefit from an anti-crunch focus - so many devs either never get into the industry because of crunch, or burn out and leave. That makes it hard to retain talent and grow and learn.

Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I never played a game where Slothy's codes involved that had bad connection/hit detection, the guy is a genius. MW2's 2 yellow bar ping was working better than the current CoD's "decent" connections. I wish them luck and looking forward to their first project.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Good luck to them. Slothy in particular is a great follow on twitter and was always super engaging with Titanfall fans.

Reading between the lines a little here, but perhaps the whole EA/Respawn thing changed the dynamic slightly. And having gone through it with Infinity Ward and Activison, they want their freedom.

It may just be they feel the best way to be them and make what they want is to be their own studio.

All the best and I look forward to seeing what they come up with!