• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This new studio seems focused mainly on Apex Legends.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Respawn marks its ten-year anniversary with a new Vancouver studio

When Apex Legends launched in February of last year, Respawn Entertainment had laid the groundwork for its momentum thr…

This will be Respawn's second location alongside its existing studio in California, and will be led by a team including head of operations Henry Lee and team director Steven Ferreira. They, along with Apex Legends game director Chad Grenier, join Welch to share the philosophy behind the new studio, and what we can expect from the coming months and years.

"When you look at Vancouver, it's one of our [EA's] biggest studio locations," Lee says. "And Vancouver is full of talented people in the games industry, so there was a natural fit with Steven coming on board with his core team and really establishing that foundation. Now we're just adding the missing pieces to it.

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Well done to Respawn! Apex Legends and Jedi Fallen Order seemed to have worked out really well for them, and hopefully there's more to come from them.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every time a dev I like expands like this, I get excited, hopeful, and worried.

I hope they do well! I'm ready for what they do next, even though I suck at competitive shooters.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Hey that's my hometown. We got EA, Ubi, and now this. We had Capcom, Apple and Rockstar Van before I believe, but there since defunct.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I selfishly want them to find a way to re use NFS Heat assets to make skate 4 in Miami but Toronto would make a good locale too.

The lack of Canadian locales in games is just depressing overall, when you consider the number of major studios making games in Canada.

Places like Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto would be ripe for a game.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Great to see Apex has clearly been a success for them. I love it and the Titanfall games, so I'm hoping this means we'll get more of both from Respawn in the future. Well, Apex is obviously not going anywhere, but I'd love to get another Titanfall or similar online shooter.

Nov 28, 2017
So, their LA HQ, handles the upcoming sequels to the JediFO trilogy, as well as that Oculus Medal of Honor title, and this studio, is completely dedicated to Apex?

This move was coming, especially for that Apex mobile version. They want that player engagement from those DAUs and MAUs of Fortnite Mobile, CoD Mobile and PUBG Mobile installed base.

Also, RIP Titanfall 3.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
So, their LA HQ, handles the upcoming sequels to the JediFO trilogy, as well as that Oculus Medal of Honor title, and this studio, is completely dedicated to Apex?

This move was coming, especially for that Apex mobile version. They want that player engagement from those DAUs and MAUs of Fortnite Mobile, CoD Mobile and PUBG Mobile installed base.

Also, RIP Titanfall 3.

I think Apex Mobile is being developed by a Chinese company like PUBG and COD Mobile

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
like stated before its been around for a little bit but only now is it really out in the public and stuff, super exciting stuff.

adding Vancouver to the ever growing amount of teams is incredible, its on top of the current Apex team, Titanfall/new ip team, DICE (Respawn) LA, Medal of Honor VR, and the Star Wars team

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
They deserve all the success. Made the best mp shooters (tdm style and battle royale) and star wars game of this gen. Hope this doesn't fracture their focus and they continue on the great path they've been on.