• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Look around...yes the hell they can and sure will

Heh, it does feel like a bit of gaslighting going on here. The game, at least on consoles, had issues beyond just bugs (or perhaps some 'were' bugs).

I'm not active on Twitter but all I ever saw was people online mostly complaining about "janky" combat which doesn't really have anything to do with bugs. The other thing that would come to my mind would be PC related hardware issues. I kinda doubt it's easy to break the game state just like that. Like for it to be unplayable you'd have to encounter severe problems regularly. This isn't Kingdom Come. I honestly can't think of major issues in my like 40-50 hours of play time personally. Unless I'm crazy lucky.

You're right, jank isn't a bug. However, I am talking about collision detection, jumps taking players off course and perhaps worst of all, unresponsive controls- now, I don't know whether this is a persistent bug or or a more fundamental design flaw pertaining to how inputs were buffered and executed.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I am glad I played on PC. Playing it on a friend's base PS4 and seeing how bad some of y'all had it.... if I'd gotten it on console it would have broken my heart.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
The game randomly crashes on my pc and that's quite annoying. I still love the game though.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Why are people acting like this is something exceptional? All software of any significance is released with known bugs (often hundreds of them). Software is never "finished." You just decide to ship it at some point because it's good enough, usually as part of a predetermined deadline.

Based on my experience with this game, it was more than polished enough to be released. They could always have done more work on it, even if they had delayed it for a year. The game looked good and played well, and that's what matters the most.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Terrible experience for me. Have they fixed the huge amount of bugs the game had? I bet they didn't.

At least EA enjoyed the money I guess.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Heh, it does feel like a bit of gaslighting going on here. The game, at least on consoles, had issues beyond just bugs (or perhaps some 'were' bugs).

You're right, jank isn't a bug. However, I am talking about collision detection, jumps taking players off course and perhaps worst of all, unresponsive controls- now, I don't know whether this is a persistent bug or or a more fundamental design flaw pertaining to how inputs were buffered and executed.

There is a lot of me that wonders if some of these bugs weren't connected to framerate. I know for a fact that combat felt SIGNIFICANTLY worse at 30fps and on occasion there was pretty bad stutter that would result in a missed jump/input and it was not a good time.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't realise the game was such a buggy experience for you guys.

While I haven't finished the game, I don't think I have encountered a single issue from the game from a performance perspective.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

The game barely ran at times on my PS4 Pro, every set piece was terrible. You could run through areas before enemies even finish to load, or they came at you in T poses.

This wasn't like any other AAA at all.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I only had one real bug during my time with this game.

I was on my 7th or 8th go at the final boss lady and I wasn't really anywhere near beating her. However on that last go she got stuck in some geometry, juddered around for 10s and then fell off the platform. Tbh, I was kind of relieved.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The game barely ran at times on my PS4 Pro, every set piece was terrible. You could run through areas before enemies even finish to load, or they came at you in T poses.

This wasn't like any other AAA at all.

Yea, having played Death Stranding within days of its launch and putting SWJFO in the backlog to let it stew with some patches, I came away utterly surprised just how the stark the difference was between DS (at launch) and JFO (a month in) in terms of polish.

Of course having to only work on two consoles, as opposed to 5 platforms does have its benefits.

You could write this headline for every game or software project in existence.

No. Unless you're being facetious, then yes.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
No. Nooo. No! >:(
Janky is just a label people put onto everything they don't like. It has lost all meaning and never had one in the first place. Soon folks will start calling a game soundtrack janky.

Just NO.
It's a trade off between having fancy animations and the right amount of control in the case of FO, imo. It's still not a bug even if we both could agree that the combat wasn't as responsive as we would've liked etc.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the platform you were playing on. I personally never experienced any bugs in the game on PC and you will notice that most who are saying they didn't experience any bugs are also on PC.
i came in here to say my piece but yeah, i played through it once on pc and really didnt have much, if any at all, issues with glitches or bugs. at least none that stand out to the point where it left an impression on me. /shrug. but im always in favor of devs choosing to delay games in favor of polishing. its the right move IMO.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I hate it when this happens, especially with story focused games such as this. A lot of people buy day one, play it for a week or so, struggle with the shitty bugs and issues, finish up and never play it again. So they end up playing the worst version of the game. Yes, don't buy day one, blah blah, but don't fucking release a game until it's ready. It's not like that's impossible.

But the game was praised by media and players, so what do I know eh. I personally would have prefered them take months to sort out the bugs, and do something about the appalling visuals. Here's to the second one being just as poor...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Janky is just a label people put onto everything they don't like. It has lost all meaning and never had one in the first place. Soon folks will start calling a game soundtrack janky.

Just NO.

It's a trade off between having fancy animations and the right amount of control in the case of FO, imo. It's still not a bug even if we both could agree that the combat wasn't as responsive as we would've liked etc.

If or when you feel like it, give this Review a gander. For TLDR the portion listed under "Things that frustrated me" should make things clear as where things were screwed up.

I will say though that, that's a very broad brush with which you're deflecting what people think of as "jank" in JFO. Having played like DMC, NG, Bayo, etc, I can tell you that the jank I am referring to is less Cal's animations and more about enemy combatants'.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Other than the bugs, I wonder if they actually intended for the item chests like light saber grips to be so pointless. It feels like they should have made a difference to the combat, but they did nothing and you can't even see them during gameplay. What the heck was the point?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
In hindsight it probably would have been the most given how dry Jan/Feb has been. Not complaining since I've given my backlog a good run.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Has the game been receiving good post launch support? By that I mean ironing out bugs, improving performance and adding QL options. If not, then have they stated they plan to do so? Not gonna get the game soon, but I definitely want to play it by Nov-Dec this year.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

Just NO.
The word has meaning despite saying otherwise "Of extremely poor or unreliable quality" and 'unreliable' in fallen orders context means enemies who often face walls or fall off cliffs, or enemies that push you inside of walls, these are the kind of bugs that add up and obviously weren't intended by the developers. Fallen orders combat in my experience was completely unreliable and thus, janky. As I said before, for the genre Fallen Order was going for, these kinds of inconsistencies are unacceptable.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It sounds the console versions at least were pretty buggy. Was surprised hearing from friends it was very buggy at the time, on my PC playthrough, the only issue I had was the slowdown going between areas.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that was noticeably broken for me on PC were some of the boss fights.
You could exit the player boundary for some of the fights and break the AI and gameplay in the process.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It's not even really about the bugs in my experience. It was just a really janky game. Dunno what the budget was, but it didn't feel like I was playing a big AAA title from one of the biggest IPs in the world.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I waited to get the game as a holiday gift, shit was smooth sailing, loved the game. It ended exactly how it should've.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's not even really about the bugs in my experience. It was just a really janky game. Dunno what the budget was, but it didn't feel like I was playing a big AAA title from one of the biggest IPs in the world.

Indeed. We wait all these years for a decent single player SW game and they give us this shit.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So why aren't they patching this stuff?

Personal speculation:
  1. Sufficient number of people who wanted to buy the game already have for Respawn to turn a tidy profit.
  2. Given it was not designed as a GAAS, it is not beholden to continued improvement to retain a player base.
  3. They have moved on to their next project which is more likely to be very resource critical if the title is cross-generational (meaning support for 7 platforms). Diverting manpower to make more patches for a game that has satiated points 1 and 2 may not be construed as fiscally responsible by EA.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
This game was clearly rushed as evidenced by its performance but also its gameplay and structure. Probably would have been a much better game if it didn't need to be tied to ROTSW

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Then someone though. "It's going to sell well regardless, so ship it unfinished".

And they did. And it did.

When the first articles broke about this, most of the comments on Twitter were along the lines of "well duh", "that's just game development".

They know they can get away with this kind of thing.

edit: citation

twitter.com

ComicBook NOW! on Twitter

“Respawn Ignored Bugs to Get STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER Out For The Holidays https://t.co/KethISQ9qW”

Last edited:

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
"if we had a little bit more time, it would've been better. But at the same time, we could play through it..."

Pretty sure the bar should be higher than that, Respawn. Good game but too many issues at launch.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who ran into a progression blocker and had to restart thr whole thing, I sure wish they did.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
They kinda did? They would mention how buggy it is and then proceed to give it an 8.5. Like, come on.
All reviewers collectively gave the game an 8.5 and said "oh but its pretty buggy" as an afternote. Got ya.

It has a 79 metascore and just glancing at the snippets on each review, it is very clearly mentioned. Do your research, stop blaming gaming media for wasting your money.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The bar is on the fucking floor

There's your new bar

DigSafeMonth_Facebook.jpg

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I played at launch on PC and thought it was a great game. Really full and satisfying adventure, and the bugs were minimal, nothing that made me lose my temper or anything. Performance was good too. I could see room for polish but I definitely wouldn't say it was unfit for release.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, like polishing a turd imo. I really disliked it anyway, no amount of polishing was gonna make it better for me.