• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Water is wet. Every studio working on AAA releases can say this,. Every game ships with known bugs.

FALLEN ORDER wasn't some unplayable mess, so this is a non-story to me. But I'm expecting pitch forks anyway if yesterday's Twitter discourse is any real indication.

Dumb.

Yeah... no.
if you say so, but I haven't fallen through the map so much in a game in a long time not to mention other issue. The game was still playable and I finished it and liked it, but it still needed more polishing and overall quality

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it should've been held back. I didn't encounter too many bugs but the game did feel unpolished to play every now and then.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
They should have done that. I gave up the game on chapter 5. Not because of bugs but I think the game design choices made the game really boring like not having fast travel and the excess of travel back on scenarios.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I wish they had taken the time to really smooth out the performance mode because it's one game I won't use it on because it's just so inconsistent.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Water is wet. Every studio working on AAA releases can say this,. Every game ships with known bugs.

FALLEN ORDER wasn't some unplayable mess, so this is a non-story to me. But I'm expecting pitch forks anyway if yesterday's Twitter discourse is any real indication.

Dumb.
Although some people around the internet might be exaggerating or doing a disservice to the overall work it's also very naive to assume that this game would have been allowed of a delay unless it was a complete shit show. History has shown otherwise, especially when it comes to Star Wars games.

So as far as Respawn's comment goes people are allowed to call bull. That doesn't necessarily apply to the game's quality though.

Oct 26, 2017
I love how people think Respawn had the power to go at EA & Disney and say: "Look guys, we can't release the game in the Holiday season, we have to delay it for 4-5 months".

And even if EA wants to delay, Disney would never allow it for obvious reasons.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
But what bugs!? I strongly believe pretty much all "bugs" people complain about are streaming issues when running the game off low-end laptop tier HDDs such as the one included on consoles, because on my gaming laptop with a NVMe SSD I had zero bugs or problems aside from stuttering when moving between areas.

XTDZKcF.png

I've clocked in 25 hours in this fantastic game and I just don't understand what bugs people are talking about. I've seen videos on YouTube of the game pausing, assets spawning in your face, cutscenes starting with the characters T-posing and then loading the animations... but that are all streaming issues. The game doesn't have any gameplay bugs if you run it from decent storage media.

Oct 26, 2017
But what bugs!? I strongly believe pretty much all "bugs" people complain about are streaming issues when running the game off low-end laptop tier HDDs such as the one included on consoles, because on my gaming laptop with a NVMe SSD I had zero bugs or problems aside from stuttering when moving between areas.

XTDZKcF.png

I've clocked in 25 hours in this fantastic game and I just don't understand what bugs people are talking about. I've seen videos on YouTube of the game pausing, assets spawning in your face, cutscenes starting with the characters T-posing and then loading the animations... but that are all streaming issues. The game doesn't have any gameplay bugs if you run it from decent storage media.

The vast majority of the issues were on consoles.
I played on PC and had very few problems, maybe 2-3 bugs but nothing gamebreaking.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
They should've delayed it but they figured they wouldn't make as much money in an another release window besides the holidays... sucks.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
there are ME3 running animation levels of animation in this game (the kid).

but i liked this game very much.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't buy the game until about a month after launch but didn't run into anything notable on a PS4 Pro with an SSD. Not saying people didn't have problems, but I certainly didn't experience them myself.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should have done that. It's a great game, but it will always be held back by how bad it was in this regard on a PS4. I understand that a delay was not possible realistically, but it nevertheless deserves to be called out, even if Respawn did all they could in the timeframe they had which I believe they did.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how it plays on consoles, but luckily on my pc I don't really remember that many bugs.

I got stuck on a wall once, and fell through the world another time, and other than that there might have been some graphical issues but I honestly can't remember.

Although I did only play the game last month so maybe they patched it since release.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sold well, reviewed well. I personally didn't have any problems on PC. Seems like it worked out to me!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Considering the fact that it was/is one of the buggiest AAA releases I've played in years, this would have been a good idea. They have no idea how lucky they are that people looked past it all to find the diamond in that rough.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Selfish of me, perhaps, but I'm glad the PC version ran fine. I had none of the bugs everyone complained about.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Even the PC version had a level of jank that I wasn't expecting from such a high-profile Star Wars release. It's not just frame rate and loading but quality of animations, movement, flow of combat, platforming...etc all had a very sloppy feel to it.

Shocking it came from Respawn of all developer houses.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fine on my XB1. Obviously wasn't perfectly smooth and had some jank.

The game obviously could have went from pretty good to a classic with a few months more polish of everything.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Yeah, well any studio has to ship a product at some point. Fallen Order was far away from being a "buggy mess" or "unplayable" like some posts suggest here. Got it on PS4 day one and platinumed it. The only regular "issue" people would run into would be the 4-5 second freeze when traversing between certain map areas. You might as well view it as a short loading screen.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
FALLEN ORDER wasn't some unplayable mess, so this is a non-story to me.

It was substantially quirkier than other top-tier titles I played during the year, and those bugs and rough spots actively interfered with my sense of immersion in the world. Considering I didn't play it until after several patches were already out and I was still left with mixed feelings about recommending the game specifically because of technical flaws? I'd say more bake time would have materially improved the game's reputation. Given that they already knew they wanted to deliver a sequel, it seems like a little more polish was warranted.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only heard about bugs.
Had zero issues on Xbox One X.

Fantastic game and was my GOTY so I am personally glad they didnt delay it.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

Played on PC on an SSD, regular combat was filled with janky animations and enemy behavior. Enemies would be facing you, then instantly 180 into the other direction and let you kill them without effort, they would accidentally fall off ledges.. The giant frog mini-boss in the 2nd world would leap at me and push me into the walls geometry where I couldn't move, and then the frog would move forward and attack me through the wall anyway. I played for less than two hours and experienced all kinds of jank that is frankly, unacceptable for the type of game Fallen Order is trying to be, other games in the genre are fair, but punishing. This game is just too unpredictable with all the things that could go wrong in an average combat scenario, especially on the difficulty I was playing on.

Again though, my experience was at launch, no idea if they've addressed any of the janky AI behavior.

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
I had a ton of fun with this game but the last third was a nightmare to get through for me because of all the T-posing and objects/characters failing to load in during gameplay and cutscenes. It left a bad taste but I do want to go back when it gets ironed out on PS4.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yeah, well any studio has to ship a product at some point. Fallen Order was far away from being a "buggy mess" or "unplayable" like some posts suggest here. Got it on PS4 day one and platinumed it. The only regular "issue" people would run into would be the 4-5 second freeze when traversing between certain map areas. Might as well be a short loading screen.

That's a contentious claim given there are credible evidence on Twitter pertaining to how broken the game was for some people. Sometimes people get lucky with bugs as to how they trigger scripts that are starting domino of an issue while others don't.

I played on the X had a deeply disappointing time (which I wrote a long form review on) and it wasn't because the game was buggy.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Mmm... I didn't personally experience the bugs most people are talking about. One thing that was consistently an issue were the ropes. They would get stuck in weird positions mid-air or just do random things. Other than that I had a pretty good experience.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
And they should have.

Take notes from Nintendo (and others), folks. Look at the Animal Crossing hype - everyone has completely forgotten that it was delayed because it looks so damn good.

That could've been this game. This game played like an alpha demo in MANY places throughout my playthrough. Did I still enjoy it? Hell yeah. Could I have enjoyed it WAY more? Most definitely.

I dunno, people (including me) were pretty down on it before release. AC is much more proven and displays what is good about it better. Had FO launched after TROS I don't think people would have been as excited.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Even the PC version had a level of jank that I wasn't expecting from such a high-profile Star Wars release. It's not just frame rate and loading but quality of animations, movement, flow of combat, platforming...etc all had a very sloppy feel to it.

Shocking it came from Respawn of all developer houses.

Yeah bugs and performance issues were only part of the picture. The overall design of the game could have used some more time in the oven. Crazy considering how technically flawless (or close to it) Titanfall 2 was.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I think they made the right decision

the game was buggy but I thought it was fine

They definitely can't get away with the same amount of bugs for a sequel though

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I can't say I'm convinced Respawn had that much of a say over if the game would get delayed or not, ultimately that'd be on EA and/or Disney.

Though regardless, developers leaving bugs unfixed is pretty normal, the game needs to get out of the door at some point.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Dumb.

Fallen Order is one of the buggiest AAA titles this generation. Is it Battlefield 4 at launch? No. But to act like it's like every other AAA release is misleading imo.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As if EA would have actually considered their consideration.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Played on PC on an SSD, regular combat was filled with janky animations and enemy behavior. Enemies would be facing you, then instantly 180 into the other direction and let you kill them without effort, they would accidentally fall off ledges.. The giant frog mini-boss in the 2nd world would leap at me and push me into the walls geometry where I couldn't move, and then the frog would move forward and attack me through the wall anyway. I played for less than two hours and experienced all kinds of jank that is frankly, unacceptable for the type of game Fallen Order is trying to be, other games in the genre are fair, but punishing. This game is just too unpredictable with all the things that could go wrong in an average combat scenario, especially on the difficulty I was playing on.

Again though, my experience was at launch, no idea if they've addressed any of the janky AI behavior.
Maybe the initial patches fixed that kind of stuff because I didn't experience any
I had a ton of fun with this game but the last third was a nightmare to get through for me because of all the T-posing and objects/characters failing to load in during gameplay and cutscenes. It left a bad taste but I do want to go back when it gets ironed out on PS4.
Put an SSD inside your PS4 and you will iron out these problems yourself. Or even an extenal one

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
All I heard about this game was that it's better than most SW titles and that it's buggy.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019
Played on Xbox One X and didn't encounter so many bugs as people here claim the game to be riddled with. However, I had a bug that prevented an open chest from counting towards completion but then again it didn't stop me from enjoying the game so much. After they've fixed it it was fine, and also I was on my completion run anyway so just in time for me to get all the trophies. I still play the game once in a while along with Death Stranding. Let me tell you cutting stormtroopers with lightsaber and then delivering cargo in a calming fashion is the two opposite sides that go together very well. Sprinkle a little RDR2 and I have my 3 games that I can play for years to come.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

XTDZKcF.png

I had no bugs on PC either, or any worthy of mention at least. I'm pretty sure the issues were in consoles.

Yeah bugs and performance issues were only part of the picture. The overall design of the game could have used some more time in the oven. Crazy considering how technically flawless (or close to it) Titanfall 2 was.

Titanfall 2 is a linear four-hour game.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
That's a contentious claim given there are credible evidence on Twitter pertaining to how broken the game was for some people. Sometimes people get lucky with bugs as to how they trigger scripts that are starting domino of an issue while others don't.

I played on the X had a deeply disappointing time (which I wrote a long form review on) and it wasn't because the game was buggy.
I'm not active on Twitter but all I ever saw was people online mostly complaining about "janky" combat which doesn't really have anything to do with bugs. The other thing that would come to my mind would be PC related hardware issues. I kinda doubt it's easy to break the game state just like that. Like for it to be unplayable you'd have to encounter severe problems regularly. This isn't Kingdom Come. I honestly can't think of major issues in my like 40-50 hours of play time personally. Unless I'm crazy lucky.