• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
A little unrelated but how is Radiata Stories? (also tri-ace). It looks really good.
It has a lot of characters that you want to play as, but all you can do is stalk them, kick them in their shins, and get your ass beat until you're strong enough to recruit them.

I didn't hate my time with it back in the day.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Nice OP, and I think voice actor names should always be included, but I think you could have also mentioned the japanese voice cast.
Definitely interested in the game as I missed the original version.

Seraphic

Oct 29, 2017
Purchased the Japanese version for 4,000Yen.

Came with the game (40GB Download), so seems it includes the 4k texture pack?
Dynamic Theme. Music kind of sucks though... Needs Home Sweet Home badly.
Avatar Pack with six characters.

Last edited:

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
money trick got patched? no buy then, I don't need more grind in my life after DQXI.

maybe when it hits 20$ or lower.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks that there are no bonuses on the US store. Still gonna buy it now since it is finally up.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
DpzU3hCUwAAA-0L.jpg:small

At this point they really should edit the English site. :P

I like the part where this game doesn't even have Steam Cards. They might be added later I guess, but so far nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, it feels great to be back in this world again:)

Also, to all newcomers. Please go to the arena and do the tutorial. I hate that Tri-ace didn't make it mandatory this time, I remember being so pissed off about the combat cause you I got into a battle and didn't know what I was doing and shelved the game for like 2-3 years.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still not sure about the combat. I just finished chapter 3, haven't had too many game overs/deaths. But it just feels like I'm doing something wrong, and I have no idea what.

Setting up Tri Attacks after the first seems damn near impossible for one. And even then, having your 2 other people stop because there's a wall in their way that you can't jump over because you have no control seems stupid. I'm startign to think that the battle syste isn't hard because its complicated, but because its... not good.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure about the combat. I just finished chapter 3, haven't had too many game overs/deaths. But it just feels like I'm doing something wrong, and I have no idea what.

Setting up Tri Attacks after the first seems damn near impossible for one. And even then, having your 2 other people stop because there's a wall in their way that you can't jump over because you have no control seems stupid. I'm startign to think that the battle syste isn't hard because its complicated, but because its... not good.

Put you SMG user in the center (top slot in order on menu screen) and have them do a hero action to cross your other two chars and earn one resonance point. You can then have one of the other chars cross the other two. You can get 2-3 RP very easily.

When doing tri-Attacks, you can change chars with L1/R1 and can jump in mid-action with square.

You're hitting walls because you're not planning your routes effectively or taking elevation changes into account.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Put you SMG user in the center (top slot in order on menu screen) and have them do a hero action to cross your other two chars and earn one resonance point. You can then have one of the other chars cross the other two. You can get 2-3 RP very easily.

When doing tri-Attacks, you can change chars with L1/R1 and can jump in mid-action with square.

You're hitting walls because you're not planning your routes effectively or taking elevation changes into account.

Thats exactly what I've been doing. Except for the changing thing, I didn't know about that, that will help.

As for not planning actions, kinda hard to do when arenas are massive with a ton of walls/barricades everywhere, and there's no way to get a top down view or a view of the whole arena.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Thats exactly what I've been doing. Except for the changing thing, I didn't know about that, that will help.

As for not planning actions, kinda hard to do when arenas are massive with a ton of walls/barricades everywhere, and there's no way to get a top down view or a view of the whole arena.

I believe you can click L3 or R3 to change between focusing on your character or the end point / anchor. You can also move the camera around to get a general look around, but I forget how effective that is. Keep in mind nothing moves unless you take action (move or attack).

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
What a great game..booted it up on PC and love the way it throws you onto its mechanics. It's unique take makes it intriguing and challenging.

Defo looking forward to playing this properly when I clear my backlog.

DQ XI and Fist of North star dominating my rotation at mo...

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Man, it feels great to be back in this world again:)

Also, to all newcomers. Please go to the arena and do the tutorial. I hate that Tri-ace didn't make it mandatory this time, I remember being so pissed off about the combat cause you I got into a battle and didn't know what I was doing and shelved the game for like 2-3 years.

When I played this game, I think I ended up in a battle on the very first hex I stepped on, before I could even get to the arena. Had no idea what to do and lost the battle; one of the earliest Game Overs in RPG history.

Once I got the hang of the battle system it was a lot of fun, but that learning curve was steep.

And the arena itself becomes a grind; I don't think I even did a quarter of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it instantly when I saw it, had no idea it was coming. How good is this game on a scale from Valkyrie Profile 2 to Odin Sphere? Is the PC port good? Guess I'll find out as soon as this install finishes...

Edit: Oh, port sucks? Bleh. Hoping I'll have some luck for once and be spared most severe issues.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it instantly when I saw it, had no idea it was coming. How good is this game on a scale from Valkyrie Profile 2 to Odin Sphere? Is the PC port good? Guess I'll find out as soon as this install finishes...

VP1 and 2 are my top games of all time. RoF is one of my top ten RPGs. It's a very charming, fun, and unique game that blends slice of life storytelling with flashy gun battles. It's quirky and perhaps a bit complex for some, but it's a shining example of tri-Ace just trying what they wanted to try.

PC port seems good for some people, not so much for others. Likely needs a patch.

Oct 25, 2017
VP1 and 2 are my top games of all time. RoF is one of my top ten RPGs. It's a very charming, fun, and unique game that blends slice of life storytelling with flashy gun battles. It's quirky and perhaps a bit complex for some, but it's a shining example of tri-Ace just trying what they wanted to try.

PC port seems good for some people, not so much for others. Likely needs a patch.

If there's one thing I hate about most JRPGs it's how handhold-y and overly simplified most combat systems are, so that sounds good to me!

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
the story makes a lot more sense once you've already played the game, btw. So if shit sounds like nonsense, there's mostly a purpose behind everything. At least so far in my experience.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Edit: Oh, port sucks? Bleh. Hoping I'll have some luck for once and be spared most severe issues.

Seems to be more intermittent issues (stutter) and missing features (ultrawide, borderless fullscreen etc) rather than just straight sucking. Not a Ys 8 situation. I guess it depends on ones threshold for 'sucks'.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't have any performance issues and luckily the missing features don't apply to me. Doesn't exactly seem like a stellar port but at least it's playable so far. No crashing or anything.

On the other hand, THIS COMBAT SYSTEM HOLY SHIT!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?! Fuck tutorials, this is hilariously enjoyable figuring out on my own. I'm assuming this will only get crazier, but it's already amazing.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
How is the PS4 version? Any issues with it? I want to buy but after hearing of PC issues I want to make sure it's ok before purchasing

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like the part where this game doesn't even have Steam Cards. They might be added later I guess, but so far nothing.

Steam requires games to prove they have actual players before they approve trading cards to weed out spam games now. Since this is self-published by Tri-Ace they need to go through this process.

Big developers like Square Enix don't need to go through this though.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone curious about the PS4 options, I just snapped a few things in my capture preview window (ignore red dots around edges).

ivmSQRh.png

omwIZQO.png

12zk7bY.png

3PsC9WL.png

tgkqXt3.png

Jun 4, 2018
DpzU3hCUwAAA-0L.jpg:small

At this point they really should edit the English site. :P

How bizarre. Is it possible that these bonuses will be added in at a later date? Steam Trading Cards, assuredly, because that happens all the time. But the PSN theme and avatars? I don't recall any example of those being retroactively applied to an account or game license...?

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Man.. I love jrpgs, but I somehow missed this one. Any comparisons out there? What is the combat like?

Easiest comparison is Valkyria Chronicles x John Woo films. However, it's not nearly as strategic and I've yet to see any doves. It has some layers to it that will make sense once you're flying around in combat.

In combat, enemies move when you move. If you move, you start to eat into your meter (think of it like Valkyria's AP meter, but it drains when you're aiming/charging.)
You charge up your attacks with revolutions of your gauge. As you charge more, you get more effects/higher damage/etc. You can upgrade your guns to charge faster, be more accurate, etc.

You have two types of damage, Scratch and Direct. Scratch paints up your enemies with high damage, but it can't kill them. Direct does low damage, but you can hit a scratched target and convert all that into Direct damage and kill.

Example: You only do 5 direct damage per shot. Your SMG does 100 scratch damage. Say you did 1,000 scratch damage to the enemy. You'd simply hit them with a direct damage weapon to make it 1000+5 for 1,005 total damage.

You break parts, HP gauges, slam enemies up into the air and down into the ground, do elemental attacks and status effects, etc etc etc.

The main draw of the combat is the flashy animations and attacks. You can do Hero Actions (which cost 1 bezel gauge out of X you have) and become invincible while moving from Point A to Point B. You can attack multiple times during your run.
Crossing paths with other chars (you move one at a time) will grant you Resonance Points to do tri-Attacks, which are basically just the hero actions I described above but with all three chars moving from point to point based on how many Resonance Points you have.
You can jump while on the move, and when doing tri-Attacks you can switch characters, skip turns to set up exactly how you want your attack flow to go, and bang bang bang.

It's a unique mixture that is very fun to set up and pleasing to watch. It can also be quite difficult!

This will give you a general idea of how the battle system works.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

you'll get better at it over time, trust me

after about 30 hours i was auto-piloting the combat without even thinking, all the while wishing i could go back to being more invested in what was happening during combat

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aaand the game crashed right after I finsihed one of the Red Hex fights. The Dolled Up.. something one for the doll. I want to like this, and most of the time I do, but it feels like the game's actively working agaisnt me.

you'll get better at it over time, trust me

after about 30 hours i was auto-piloting the combat without even thinking, all the while wishing i could go back to being more invested in what was happening during combat

But, isn't that because the game gets significantly easier once you have a healthy stock of Bezels?

Last edited:

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Easiest comparison is Valkyria Chronicles x John Woo films. However, it's not nearly as strategic and I've yet to see any doves. It has some layers to it that will make sense once you're flying around in combat.

In combat, enemies move when you move. If you move, you start to eat into your meter (think of it like Valkyria's AP meter, but it drains when you're aiming/charging.)
You charge up your attacks with revolutions of your gauge. As you charge more, you get more effects/higher damage/etc. You can upgrade your guns to charge faster, be more accurate, etc.

You have two types of damage, Scratch and Direct. Scratch paints up your enemies with high damage, but it can't kill them. Direct does low damage, but you can hit a scratched target and convert all that into Direct damage and kill.

Example: You only do 5 direct damage per shot. Your SMG does 100 scratch damage. Say you did 1,000 scratch damage to the enemy. You'd simply hit them with a direct damage weapon to make it 1000+5 for 1,005 total damage.

You break parts, HP gauges, slam enemies up into the air and down into the ground, do elemental attacks and status effects, etc etc etc.

The main draw of the combat is the flashy animations and attacks. You can do Hero Actions (which cost 1 bezel gauge out of X you have) and become invincible while moving from Point A to Point B. You can attack multiple times during your run.
Crossing paths with other chars (you move one at a time) will grant you Resonance Points to do tri-Attacks, which are basically just the hero actions I described above but with all three chars moving from point to point based on how many Resonance Points you have.
You can jump while on the move, and when doing tri-Attacks you can switch characters, skip turns to set up exactly how you want your attack flow to go, and bang bang bang.

It's a unique mixture that is very fun to set up and pleasing to watch. It can also be quite difficult!

This will give you a general idea of how the battle system works.

Thanks man! You have me thinking about picking this up, later.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
On PS4Pro here, what does Shadow Buffer setting do?

And I'm assuming Texture Resolution "Low" is just 1080p textures instead of 4K?