• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

New news, new thread. This is yet another leak supposedly coming from Capcom's hack.

This time it's an exclusivity contract from Sony related to Resident Evil Village.

teenaxta

Feb 13, 2021
User Banned (1 Week) Console Warring; prior history of similar behavior
hahahahhahahahahahaha...sony's been acting weird lately. Why build a more powerful console when you just ask the devs to downgrade their game on other systems...i cant believe it, its just too comical..im genuinely having a hard time believing this....lol

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most 3rd party games are out about a year before coming to Game Pass I thought

ragolliangatan

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 31, 2019
Even if it were true, that's a fairly standard thing to put in a contract if Sony are helping fund marketing costs,etc..

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Forced parity for 7 years? That's...quite a long time, if that's true. Has to be one of the longest contract periods in the industry, right? Never heard of a period that long before.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Sony would rather spend money to gimp another platform than improve their own. Pathetic.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, sure, but is there a VR version in the works?

I have to imagine they'll have it for PSVR2

But also... I feel sceptical about keeping it off Game Pass for a year, sounds a little fake.

Nov 8, 2017
Read the "forced parity" clause. It says "subject to material platform limitations". It is not saying the versions all have to be the same - it says, in essence, that they must make a best effort attempt to make the PS5 version as good or better than other verisons, except where that is not possible due to the limitations of the hardware. It does not preclude higher settings and faster / better performance on other platforms if that is truly the limit of the PS5.

The reporting on this kind of thing at face value and the sensationalist headline choices are basically irresponsible, but I expect nothing less anymore.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
These types of clauses are pretty standard for everyone. They don't mean hold back res, framerate, load times, etc on other platforms. It's more about the existence of broad technical features. They couldn't implement RT on Series X and not on PS5 but they can have it on both and have it run smoother.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Wow lol. I remember when people were accusing MS of doing this last gen.

Outright paying to downgrade the game on your competitors more powerful hardware.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This sounds pretty ludicrous but deals with clauses like this probably happen more often than any of us could possibly even imagine.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like a game this huge was likely to end up on gamepass after a year in the first place, but I guess you can't be too sure.

This parity clause is probably extremely common - all it says is you can't release features or content for another platform but not Playstation. It's not about forcing the exact same resolution or frame rate or shadow quality or whatever.

I see I've been beaten several times on this point, but it will probably need to be said several times per page to combat the unmitigated stupidity that is going to follow.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You could actually read the posts in the OP guys, "subject to material platform limitations," means support every feature on PlayStation that you can, not gimp other versions of the game.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This is just a standard contract, and technical parity is not "bring other platforms down to PS5/4 level" but to put the PS platforms as high as possible, hence the really specific wording "(subject to material platform limitations)".

The Game Pass part is a misread and it's also missing a crucial clause, 9.1.4. It's not a ban from Game Pass, Sony gets rights to "first negotiation and last match" to have the game on PS+ / Now either exclusively or along services. The clause I mentioned also says that in case Sony rejects the deal to release on their sub services, they can go to Game Pass / Stadia / whatever.

As I said, this is just normal stuff that you'll see every single company do, including the technical parity stuff. As an example, here's a contract between MS and EA that uses the same parity stuff.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Read the "forced parity" clause. It says "subject to material platform limitations". It is not saying the versions all have to be the same - it says, in essence, that they must make a best effort attempt to make the PS5 version as good or better than other verisons, except where that is not possible due to the limitations of the hardware.

I wonder how one would even really enforce this. Like would Capcom actually have to like...show documentation to Sony they tried their best if the Xbox Series X version looked and/or ran slightly better than the PS5 version? I don't see how something like that could be proven one way or another, really.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Parity for 7 years doesn't mean they need to support it continuously for 7 years. Just they need to backport any changes on future other platforms. That's easy to achieve. It even says subject to platform limitations for technical parity right there in the text

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder how one would even really enforce this. Like would Capcom actually have to like...show documentation to Sony they tried their best if the Xbox Series X version looked and/or ran slightly better than the PS5 version? I don't see how something like that could be proven one way or another, really.

It's unlikely to ever be enforced, because it would be basically impossible to prove unless there were leaked meeting minutes that said "lol xbox rules, playstation drulez, we're going to gimp it". It would never happen. You might have Sony argue that it's in breach of contract if the PS5 version outright lacked a bunch of features or had majorly reduced performance, such that was implauisible from what other games were seeing between multiplatform versions, and that the damage of them doing this was quite severe (e.g. it became a big public issue that the PS5 version sucked).

Oct 25, 2017
This is horrendous if true.
Sony would rather spend money to gimp another platform than improve their own. Pathetic.
Forced parity is impossible with PC in the mix.
What is forced parity when Series X games have came out ahead?
EDIT: Fake? Damn, well at least I didn't start it.
Read the clause.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
After that last thread, I'd encourage people to not misconstrue, and end up looking like irrational fools.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Click bait title. OP can't even bother to read the small red highlighted section that debunks his own thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies.